Crisis

American Politics

45 minutes ago, KrazyKarp said:

That's the one I found on google; why is the AP reporting 264 then?

they've already given Arizona to Biden, but the votes are still being counted - so AP jumped the gun on that one.  but Biden IS ahead in AZ.  i don't know why the AP (and Fox!) did that. 🤔

It appears as if Joe Biden did get the necessary electors now. CNN just reported him as "elected 46th President". Now let's hope there will not be any judicial movements by Mr.Trump that manage to axe him still.

Finally we can all breath a sigh of relief!! Trump will not be president for another 4 more years. Sanity reigns! 😻

Hallelujah. Can we get off Thrill Ride 2020 now?

Finally, a Madam Vice President, and a Californian at that. Maybe American men will start taking women more seriously now. And maybe I'll start taking this country more seriously, considering it could have had a woman VP back in the damn 1980s.

Since Hillary Clinton won't run again, I'd love to see a future Dem ticket with Warren or Whitmer, or maybe Warren/Whitmer. Wouldn't that be great? The best is yet to come, gals.

It appears as if Democrates are always fated to sweep up the broken glass after the Republicans in recent times. And as soon as they did it, people vote for Republicans again...

This country has a lot of work to do to undo the damage that Trump has done over the last 4 years.

And Trump is not going to go quietly away. He refuses to concede, still claiming widespread fraud. He still plans legal challenges to the election. Unless he comes up with much better arguments than the has presented so far they won't be effective, but they will keep us in turmoil. I think we are still in for a very wild ride.

Joe Biden will have an uphill battle against the Senate if the two contested seats will stay Republican.  How on Earth will he get his ministers/secretaries (?) through if the Senate can simply say "no" all the time?

7 minutes ago, Astreya said:

Joe Biden will have an uphill battle against the Senate if the two contested seats will stay Republican.  How on Earth will he get his ministers/secretaries (?) through if the Senate can simply say "no" all the time?

On the plus side, Biden has had a working relationship with McConnell for years.  It's rare for opposing parties to stand in the way of a president's appointees.  Now bills are another matter:  Mitch has been holding up Democrat sponsored bills for a long time...in the range of 400 of them. Stacey Abrams has been outstanding at getting out the vote in Georgia.  May that continue for the run off elections.

Of course my Twitter feed is sort of a "bubble", but it's a very happy bubble right now, and that makes me happy, too.  :)

Congratulations, America. And good luck for the challenging time until the new president can actually start trying to make things better.

won't be able to rest easy until Biden is sworn in on January 20th though.  there's no telling what the orange one will do between now and then.

also, i saw on another forum that a concession speech is just a nicety.  i don't even think trump know what those are.

i also read somewhere that McConnell actually won't play nice with Biden... if i find the link again, i'll post it here.

2 hours ago, purplehaze said:

This country has a lot of work to do to undo the damage that Trump has done over the last 4 years.

And Trump is not going to go quietly away. He refuses to concede, still claiming widespread fraud. He still plans legal challenges to the election. Unless he comes up with much better arguments than the has presented so far they won't be effective, but they will keep us in turmoil. I think we are still in for a very wild ride.

There's no requirement for him to concede, I was amused to see. But he won't be able to stick around after January.

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

I doubt if the Senate is that stupid. There are a lot of GOP Senators who had had enough of Trump.

Look on the positive, guys - this is such a tremendous result for the States. Imagine if the Cheeto had won and had a GOP Senate....

1 hour ago, trystan said:

also, i saw on another forum that a concession speech is just a nicety.  i don't even think trump know what those are.

LOL - too conceited to concede, eh?

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

There's no requirement for him to concede, I was amused to see.

Of course there isn't, but he will be the first ever, I believe, to not do so. So like him to not do the decent thing. There has been nothing decent about him -- ever!

But it disturbs me that he is insisting that he won, but the election was stolen. That kind of talk just serves to stir up the worst of his base, which is just what he wants to do. And he can do a lot of damage, yet, in the time he has left and I expect he will do as much as he can. He is a nasty, spiteful man. We have seen it over and over.

22 minutes ago, Awdz Bodkins said:

LOL - too conceited to concede, eh?

heh yep XD 

3 minutes ago, purplehaze said:

But it disturbs me that he is insisting that he won, but the election was stolen. That kind of talk just serves to stir up the worst of his base, which is just what he wants to do. And he can do a lot of damage, yet, in the time he has left and I expect he will do as much as he can. He is a nasty, spiteful man. We have seen it over and over.

very distubing, i agree.  trump will be very scary between now and january 20th.

1 hour ago, trystan said:

very distubing, i agree.  trump will be very scary between now and january 20th.

One German political commentator said that he expects that Mr.Trump will pardon all of his criminal friends now that he doesn't have anything to lose anymore.

Edited by Astreya

Just his criminal friends? Heck, I wouldn't put it past him to try to pardon himself. I've already seen rumblings that he doesn't intend to leave come January, that he's going to barricade himself in and will have to be dragged out (which shouldn't surprise anyone who's seen his behavior these past four years, and the fact that his presidency is all that's protecting him from the myriad lawsuits awaiting him). 

This is a good day, but also, as others have mentioned, there's a lot of damage to repair here. I know the world is celebrating (I've seen footage in Europe, it's wonderful), but we have relationships and institutions here that need shoring up (like the CDC and EPA, to name some off the top of my head). We also have to reconcile with the fact that 68 million people thought Trump was worth re-electing, despite the mountain of incompetence that was his presidency. This country is divided and it can't be fixed in four years; there are deeper systemic issues we have to come to terms with if we want our fragile democracy to survive.

For now, though, I'm celebrating. This is indeed a good day. Shoutout to Pennsylvania ( @trystan!!!) for pushing it over the top. Seeing the celebrations in Philadelphia has been truly heartwarming.