XLaurentX

Zombies

BAH sleep. Stupid nap earlier. Might as well respond to posts above...

Kestra- No comment. :|

I just don't see zombies as being the dead kind because, well... we've not got any dead things walking around. It's just not possible. With the exclusion of magiks being discovered or something supernatural, zombies will be alive. But yeah, infected bile = ick, and bad.

But see, applying movie zombie logic to planning for a RL zombie event doesn't work. Even though it's implausible, it's best to plan for the most plausible situation/scenario - in which case, the zombies would be alive. If we're simply going to talk about "typical" zombies, what kind? The running, screaming kind? The shambling kind you can escape from by walking away at a fast pace (BORING)? Voodoo zombies? What movie are you basing your typical zombie basis off of?

See, this is what I think. It's the most realistic (though, one has to wonder how zombies could do several things... survive off human flesh only, stop themselves from attacking one another, etc.)

But then the science of zombies just makes everything blah because it's never gonna happen. Ever. sad.gif

Yes, they are awesome, aren't they?

It isn't just movies but games and books too.

Take Resident Evil (excluding 4 and 5) Those ARE virus zombies but they are dead.

What about parasite zombies. Kills the host and uses the body as a meat suit. (RE 4 and 5) They are dead but 1)Infection is harder 2)Have a higher intellect allowing for weapons use 3)Don't eat flesh 4)Easier/Harder to kill (You choose that one)

The typical zombie is as simple as

"THE DEAD ARE WALKING!"

Also if they are alive there can be a possible cure.

I totally hate my zombies...

the freaky things just don't stay where i put them *rolleyes*

Yeah i know, they don't, but i can still hate them for it!

It isn't just movies but games and books too.

Take Resident Evil (excluding 4 and 5) Those ARE virus zombies but they are dead.

What about parasite zombies. Kills the host and uses the body as a meat suit. (RE 4 and 5) They are dead but 1)Infection is harder 2)Have a higher intellect allowing for weapons use 3)Don't eat flesh 4)Easier/Harder to kill (You choose that one)

The typical zombie is as simple as "THE DEAD ARE WALKING!"

Also if they are alive there can be a possible cure.

Movies, games, books, whatever.

Dead creatures walking is still extremely implausible; parasites that control their hosts only can do so when said host is alive.

And yes, there is the chance of a cure... but there are plenty of diseases that we have trouble fighting; what are the chances of being able to find a cure for the z-disease?

BAH sleep. Stupid nap earlier. Might as well respond to posts above...

Kestra- No comment. :|

I just don't see zombies as being the dead kind because, well... we've not got any dead things walking around. It's just not possible. With the exclusion of magiks being discovered or something supernatural, zombies will be alive. But yeah, infected bile = ick, and bad.

But see, applying movie zombie logic to planning for a RL zombie event doesn't work. Even though it's implausible, it's best to plan for the most plausible situation/scenario - in which case, the zombies would be alive. If we're simply going to talk about "typical" zombies, what kind? The running, screaming kind? The shambling kind you can escape from by walking away at a fast pace (BORING)? Voodoo zombies? What movie are you basing your typical zombie basis off of?

See, this is what I think. It's the most realistic (though, one has to wonder how zombies could do several things... survive off human flesh only, stop themselves from attacking one another, etc.)

But then the science of zombies just makes everything blah because it's never gonna happen. Ever. sad.gif

Yes, they are awesome, aren't they?

I play for the worst case scenario.

If movie zombies are the worst case scenario, then I plan for them. If I come up with something that can be worse I plan for that.

Worst case scenario is that it's easily transmittable - not what's shown in the movies. Movies it tends to be that the zombies can only transmit it through bites or direct contact with bodily fluids.

If it were transmittable through mosquitos (like malaria), water, air... that's worst-case scenario.

Personally, I imagine Zombies as virus infected humans that are alive but the virus destroys the brain chunk that controls higher functions.

So they wouldn't sleep or anything like that they would just blindly wear themselves down into nothing or walking into obvious dangers like off cliffs to get prey.

O.o... zombies? im gonna die first, i assure you.

In which case, for those first few moments you will be my best friend.

As we scouts say, "I don't need to outrun the monster, I just have to outrun you."

Movies, games, books, whatever.

Dead creatures walking is still extremely implausible; parasites that control their hosts only can do so when said host is alive.

And yes, there is the chance of a cure... but there are plenty of diseases that we have trouble fighting; what are the chances of being able to find a cure for the z-disease?

Not necessarily. RE 4 and 5 you blow the head off a target and the parasites still use the body. The dogs faces even split open in attack. I see it as the parasites can't grow outside on their own so they use the host to survive and when getting big enough taking over the entire body. Killing the host but keeping the body somewhat alive.

Kinda ruined my own argument there.

Now the walking dead is improbable not because the dead are walking but because the rotting corpse lasts too long in conditions that would hurt the zombie. You can say said virus protects it from the sun or cold but it is still a rotting corpse. So sooner or later it has to rot away.

I think the dead body is resurected by the virus and it can slow the decay by a lot but can't quite stop it.

I know it's kinda late, but here's my results from the quiz:

Physical rating: B

Mental rating: B

Experience rating: C

Emotional rating: F

Overall rank: Z+

... I can't even tell what your argument was, in that first bit.

The dead can't walk. Period. There are certain things needed in order for a body to walk, and a dead body lacks many of those somethings. Especially if the body is missing bits/has gaping wounds/etc.

How would something be resurrected? So far we've been unable to revive things; what do you suppose?

Well, that, but I was thinking more along the lines of "3-day-old corpse coming alive" reviving. And, in terms of zombie lore, reviving the body and having it move around but still be decaying.

CPR and defibrilators.....

False. You cannot resurrect a dead heart. Defibs only work during ventricular fibrillation; once the heart stops, it stops. Dead. Only one in a trillion chance of something happening.

... I can't even tell what your argument was, in that first bit.

The dead can't walk. Period. There are certain things needed in order for a body to walk, and a dead body lacks many of those somethings. Especially if the body is missing bits/has gaping wounds/etc.

How would something be resurrected? So far we've been unable to revive things; what do you suppose?

Well I was trying to say parasite zombies are dead but as I was typing changed my own mind.

I think what happens is the virus kills the victim. It is a virus and they do that. It then reactivates the brain bringing the corpse to life. The virus does not bring the corpse back fully. It can't fully reactivate the brain so it looses intelligence, but gains inhuman instincts, and can't reactivate all the things keeping a normal person from decaying but enough to slow it down.

Probably why they are called the living dead. It is technically alive but it is also technically dead.

I'll tell you something that made me think of zombies immediately.

If something like this is possible, with ants acting unusually and behaving differently in order to feed the fungus, why can't it happen to humans? Who is to say that a fungus won't develop which forces us to pass on the parasite by biting other humans and then using our bodies to nurture the growth? I know that's not how a normal zombie works, but it's similar, isn't it?

The spores needing to be fed by brains, the host biting and trying to feed the parasite...

Well I was trying to say parasite zombies are dead but as I was typing changed my own mind.

I think what happens is the virus kills the victim. It is a virus and they do that. It then reactivates the brain bringing the corpse to life. The virus does not bring the corpse back fully. It can't fully reactivate the brain so it looses intelligence, but gains inhuman instincts, and can't reactivate all the things keeping a normal person from decaying but enough to slow it down.

Probably why they are called the living dead. It is technically alive but it is also technically dead.

Why a virus? Why not bacteria, or fungus, or something else?

Do you have any science to your views? Have you picked, pried, and poked at every aspect to a painful degree? *Twitch*

... okay, so maybe I'm not "over" zombies in one way...

I'll tell you something that made me think of zombies immediately.

If something like this is possible, with ants acting unusually and behaving differently in order to feed the fungus, why can't it happen to humans? Who is to say that a fungus won't develop which forces us to pass on the parasite by biting other humans and then using our bodies to nurture the growth? I know that's not how a normal zombie works, but it's similar, isn't it?

The spores needing to be fed by brains, the host biting and trying to feed the parasite...

Oh god.

"The more numerous a species becomes, the more likely it will be attacked..."

If it's something like a more refined version of cordyceps... well, F.

Edited by RheaZen

Okay, so I did the zombie survival quiz.

My physical and mental stats got a C and a D. My knowledge on zombies and emotional stats got F's.

My survival chances? I got an A.

Well, then. Watching Shawn of the Dead really has prepared me.

@Rhea: I KNOW D: Remember how they said that each mushroom was specific to a species of bug? The humans could have their own fungus and not even know it. It's scary stuff.

Why a virus? Why not bacteria, or fungus, or something else?

Do you have any science to your views? Have you picked, pried, and poked at every aspect to a painful degree? *Twitch*

... okay, so maybe I'm not "over" zombies in one way...

Oh god.

"The more numerous a species becomes, the more likely it will be attacked..."

If it's something like a more refined version of cordyceps... well, F.

Well it could be anything I guess but virus is typical.

No I haven't but it makes more sense then "it just does." When I think zombies I think living dead but I needed some form of logic because logic says dead is DEAD. So I thought it through and my theory makes sense. Zombies can't effect already dead people and it probably preserves the brain best.......................... IDK but it makes sense to me.

My only problem is how it is said to spread. A virus means we are screwed. If it lands in the water we lost our fish and our water. A fungus may die in water. If say it lives on flesh. A bacteria is probably as bad as virus in water.

God damn can I get through this thread without getting ninja'd again?

Okay, so I did the zombie survival quiz.

My physical and mental stats got a C and a D. My knowledge on zombies and emotional stats got F's.

My survival chances? I got an A.

Well, then. Watching Shawn of the Dead really has prepared me.

@Rhea: I KNOW D: Remember how they said that each mushroom was specific to a species of bug? The humans could have their own fungus and not even know it. It's scary stuff.

I don't see why it'd make the zombies hostile to only humans (as opposed to each other and/or other living things).

Maybe we can just trap them in a corner and wait until they tear each other apart.

... at which point spores emit from their gaping wounds, sowing further death and destruction upon the world...

No I haven't but it makes more sense then "it just does." When I think zombies I think living dead but I needed some form of logic because logic says dead is DEAD. So I thought it through and my theory makes sense. Zombies can't effect already dead people and it probably preserves the brain best.......................... IDK but it makes sense to me.

But why living dead? There are versions in which the zombies are just infected humans. Your logic does not work - there's no way to keep a dead body, with no blood moving (and the blood probably pooling and clotting) and the decay and all... it just doesn't work.

Edited by RheaZen

False. You cannot resurrect a dead heart. Defibs only work during ventricular fibrillation; once the heart stops, it stops. Dead. Only one in a trillion chance of something happening.

I was watching a show once, a guy was clinically dead, like no heart beat or brain activity, for 40 minutes and then he woke up in the body bag, twas pretty cool.

God damn can I get through this thread without getting ninja'd again?

I don't see why it'd make the zombies hostile to only humans (as opposed to each other and/or other living things).

Maybe we can just trap them in a corner and wait until they tear each other apart.

... at which point spores emit from their gaping wounds, sowing further death and destruction upon the world...

But why living dead? There are versions in which the zombies are just infected humans. Your logic does not work - there's no way to keep a dead body, with no blood moving (and the blood probably pooling and clotting) and the decay and all... it just doesn't work.

It does make sense though. Blood does flow though. As I said it only fails to completely stop decay. So it decays but very slowly. It makes sense to me.

It makes more sense then "it just does."

I am tying to add more logic then that is just how it is.

Wait, just... go through this process and what you expect your zombie disease to do to a human, once infected. Clarify for me please.

Wait, just... go through this process and what you expect your zombie disease to do to a human, once infected. Clarify for me please.

Rhea which would you rather hear. Someone trying to put some logic to it or it just does.?

I want to hear you, in full, explain your version of "logic" in regards to zombies. The whole shebang.

Why do you keep bringing up "it just does"?