dragon_mando

Cooking

Well, what starting as a venture into the world of gumbo making turned out pretty awesome but no gumbo to be had.

First, I hate okra so right off the bat most people wouldn't consider what I was trying to make as 'gumbo.' I also wasn't going to play around with making roux...

It ended up(thanks to me adding WAY too much rice) as some really tasty jambalaya.

Pork, andouille sausage, rice, spice, yummy.

I thought a roux-bsed gumbo was equaly as valid as an okra-based one. Or ahve I missed something somewhrre?

Incidently making a roux is actualy really easy, and a pretty essentail base for amking a lot of sauces in French cuisine.

I love to cook. Not so much bake, because when I follow a recipe, I always mess something up.

But I love going in the kitchen, and figuring out what to make for my lunch, its fun!

I can't even cook dinners in the microwave. Last time i tried...the chicken nuggets turned into charcoal. Yeah. I can make ice though!...but we don't have icecube holder things. Haha.

user posted image

... huh.

Is that real? I've never heard of that...

EDIT: I'm cooking tomorrow, anyone got any ideas for something for me to cook? No shellfish, since my mom's allergic. Or okra, my parents hate the flavor ^^;

Edited by War Pig Killer

user posted image

... huh.

Looks like it's cut-out-and-use tags to indicate when you made the bread to me.

Although home-baked bread doesn't usualy last more than a couple of days in my house.

I thought a roux-bsed gumbo was equaly as valid as an okra-based one. Or ahve I missed something somewhrre?

Incidently making a roux is actualy really easy, and a pretty essentail base for amking a lot of sauces in French cuisine.

They are equally as valid as each other...but since I didn't want to make roux, and I hate okra the point is moot.

I can make roux, and usually get to a medium darkness before I just say, "OMG this is good enough, whatever!" I don't make a lot of things that call for roux, which is awesome since I hate making it. I find it tedious.

I can cook, but most of the time I don't because my dad usually cooks for everyone, so I don't really need to cook. I usually only really cook around Thanksgiving. I usually make the stuffing, help with the potatoes, and help get the turkey ready to put in the oven.

I prefer baking, though. The last time I made a dessert to bring to a party everyone enjoyed it. (It was especially nice because some of my teachers, one of whom I hadn't taken a final for yet, and bringing tasty sweets to her party seemed like a nice way to suck up a bit). Both my diction teacher and my voice teacher were highly amused by the chocolate mice I made.

Is that real? I've never heard of that...

EDIT: I'm cooking tomorrow, anyone got any ideas for something for me to cook? No shellfish, since my mom's allergic. Or okra, my parents hate the flavor ^^;

I've heard that for years but could never remember what color went to which day. Not that it really matters at my house. Bread either is devoured or goes to waste.

I'm thinking of doing a starter bread - ya know, the kind you have to feed every day or every 3 days, then divide it up to give away. Will have to research and see what can be done with the starter kits.

Made bacon again this morning. Forgot to thaw it and my pan is crappy, and then I got curious and added something that made half the bacon burn and smell nauseating. Soooo that was bunk. Ate the few pieces that were good and had a banana.

I made the best sloppy joe base ever. The ground beef was so good.

Just met the best cooks in the world, period. Anyone who can whip up a full roast dinner halfway up Everest with just a few pans and some kerosene is truly a god amongst men.

I apparently love cooking. I've cooked dinner for my family the past 3 days and I've thoroughly enjoyed myself. I especially love cooking from scratch. I made onion rings yesterday. They gave me issues at first and some of them got burnt, but they were pretty good. Tonight I made pizza. I shouldn't have made as much as I did, but I'd expected them to not be as filling.

I've also made pancakes and chicken noodle soup, both from scratch.

The one thing I most dislike about cooking is how tired I get. Does anyone else get just completely drained after cooking?

Oh em gee, today in the cooking class I'm assisting with we made lavender soda with raspberry foam and it was probably the most delicious thing I've ever had ever.

We also made chocolate-strawberry soda which was pretty darn tasty too. But I'm going to be experimenting with lavender in my cooking for a while now. :3

Cakeballs.

Are about the only dessert I am capable of not ruining. Also I make layered cakes and they look like poop.

i cannot cook for a bazillion dollars i can only make things out of a box and when i try to make recipes it just ends up as a failuire

Oh em gee, today in the cooking class I'm assisting with we made lavender soda with raspberry foam and it was probably the most delicious thing I've ever had ever.

We also made chocolate-strawberry soda which was pretty darn tasty too. But I'm going to be experimenting with lavender in my cooking for a while now. :3

Oh yeah, lavender's an interesting ingredient. My mom used to make lavender sugar cookies-- such a delicate flavor.

I'm certainly no cook. rolleyes.gif I microwave Hot Pockets, heat up canned soup/Chef Boyardee and stick frozen food in the oven. If I end up living on my own, I'll never have home-cooked meals, unless I visited my parents. o.=.o

Only thing I can make from scratch is chocolate chip cookies. xd.png

not much cooking myself only some what I like eat with it. because sometime some food bother me lot like that.. not know why. So I love more like seafood and some like delis things like light food not heavy food as junk stuff.. what I like on cooking. My mom is good cooking than I do. sometime I went get some food from restaurants where my favorite are. smile.gif

I don't really cook much, mostly because I don't actually have to. I can make really nice scrambled eggs and I recently tried my hand at an omelet, still need a bit of work with that though. At least even if I don't get it to fold right it still tastes good. If I had to I could probably make enough basics to survive.

My main problem with cooking is that it isn't an exact science and I am a very instruction-oriented person. I prefer baking because I can follow the recipe and know it'll pretty much come out how it says it will.

It's one of those skills I plan to work on. Even if I'm not great at it I'd at least like to be able to make some basic stuff for myself.

Interesting.

But IMHO, missing a lot. Seriously, butter not mentioned as being complimentary to crab and lobster? Orange not matched with duck, when half the ducks I see for sale in the supermarket come with a packet of a l'orange sauce included?

Still, it's a good starting point. I'm going to have to check out the pairings for brussels sprouts, lol, since I got a package of them in my last food co-op order and I've never cooked them before.

There is a simple little miture of sodas that tastes pretty good.They're coca cola and mountain dew, and my friends say smarties are good in it, too.

It's funny - I've gotten a reputation as a good cook among my friends. Actually it's just because I've practiced two or three recipes until I've gotten really good at them.

Recently I got tired of eating the same old thing for lunch every day, so I bought myself a little bento box and a copy of the Just Bento cookbook, and spent Sunday afternoon rattling around in the kitchen making approximately-Japanese food. Everything was delicious and surprisingly easy to make!

I seriously wish I could, Especially with those shows I saw last night on the Food Network.

I was always sort of interested, but I rather experiment in the kitchen which results in food that only I would want to eat.