dragon_mando

Cooking

I can't do this worth poo. I've burnt toast in the mini-oven before xd.png

If you give me a recipe, ingredients, and necessary kitchen utensils and dishes, I can probably make it with some time and effort. My dad is allergic to corn so I grew up in a house where pretty much every meal was homemade. I started making bread from scratch when I was nine or ten. When I was eleven, I made cheese croissants (never again, they take sooooo long). Not long after that, I succeeded making lemon meringue pie. biggrin.gif Now that I'm in college, I don't have as much time but I do try to make food when I can, like pasta and such, and I make biscuits or belgian waffles or pancakes on the weekends. I have a donut maker too from my mom's college days that still works like a charm. biggrin.gif I also make homemade pizza frequently, because honestly, pizza is awesome and leftover pizza is also awesome. biggrin.gif

If I like something, I'll probably try to make it at some point. Only thing coming to mind that I love and haven't made yet is angel food cake, simply because it takes so many egg whites and I don't really have a method of disposing of the egg yolks, short of making several dozen batches of peanut butter cookies. laugh.gif

I love to cook. I do it all the time. My favorite food to cook is Mexican rice. I like to put in left over chicken with the Mexican Rice. I also started to BBQ. I got a new grill in my back yard. LOL. BBQ Hot Dogs and other stuff.

Edited by SpikeTheDragon

Anyone else like to make and eat easy mac and cheese?

Make a pot of elbow macaroni, drain then add a couple of tablespoons of margerine, some milk enough to just more than coat your macaroni and grated cheese. Stir over a medium low heat until melted and then simmer for awhile to meld the flavors.

Add a dash of pepper, or mustard, or hot sauce if you like a bit of a kick or tang to your mac.

Velveeta cheese if you like the taste makes it easiest as it melts very nicely and quickly.

I like cooking potatoes, carrots and celery together. They compliment each other quite nicely. Sometimes I add tomatoes, but its taste can be a bit consuming.

The best way (IMO) to do this is to simmer potatoes until they're medium-soft, add the carrots for five-ish minutes, then add celery until the celery is cooked. Garlic is good for flavor, but I usually add no salt or sauce.

I would love cooking if it wasn't for the cleaning part afterwards xd.png

But in all seriousness I quite enjoy creating concoctions from left overs or from the odd sods in the cupboard .

The other day I made a tuna/cheesy/bacon pasta and my flatmates loved it. I don't even like tuna but would eat it like that xd.png

For those of you who like barbecued pulled pork and own a crock pot, go buy a nice pork roast. You will also need a bottle of your favorite barbecue sauce, brown sugar and a bot of onion and garlic powder. Time is the most important ingredient not listed.

Place the meat in your crock pot/ slow cooker. First- Sprinkle with onion and garlic powder, add a handful or two of brown sugar to cover the roast and cover the whole thing with a bottle of barbecue sauce. Have an extra bottle in reserve for those who like their bbq saucy. Put the lid on and cook away for 6 to 10 hours on low. The longer the better. The idea is for the meat to fall apart and then you take two forks and pull the bits of meat to shreds and serve on a bum, or with rice, or cole slaw or whatever you like to eat bbq with.

Easy, to do. You can pour the sauce on before sprinkling with brown sugar so more of the sugar stays on the meat. biggrin.gif

Easy ice cream pie

have a cooked pie shell or a graham cracker shell, take favorite flavor of ice cream and let a quart melt a bit. Scoop the very soft ice cream into the shell, smooth the top and put iut back in the freezer to harden back up, ditto for any leftover ice cream. In a couple of hours or the next day put cool whip topping or whipped cream on the pie and serve. You can add the whipped cream to each piece as it is served. To cut the frozen pie leave it on counter for 10 minutes or so and run a metal knife under hot water to cutthrough the frozen pie.

It's very good and quite easy to do. It is a kid friendly recipe. wink.gif

I was looking for a cooking thread, but I might start a recipe. But to remain on topic here...

I cook professionally. I work in a restaurant and I have been trained in culinary arts at Niagara College at Niagara-on-the-lake.

Cooking as I do is actually not for the faint of heart. It's incredibly hard work.

I could outline some of the things I have had to put up with (and decided that I should not have to) And other things that are just part of the job.

Super long hours 8 - 14 hour shifts.

- Sometimes its a split shift, you get a few hours break - if they are playing by the rules. If they are not playing by the rules 8 - 14 hour shifts without a break (yes illegal and I am in a fight right now with a place I left from.)

Working, Evenings, Weekends and Holidays.

I think Christmas is most often the day we can be closed. However expect to work any and all holidays.

- Expect frustrated family because these days are worked. I am working tomorrow (or today rather) and its my husband's 40th. I couldn't find someone to take my shift for me.

Calling in dead.

- Generally speaking that is the only time you call in "sick" well you died. Truth be told I am not for this. If you are sick, then the cook should not be around food. Really. But some chefs get a sort of macho complex and work through everything. If I get sick and I feel like death, I will call in. my recovery is important and personally, I dislike working when I feel like tripe.

Cuts and Burns

- Huge occupational hazard. It can't really be avoided for the most part. Burns will happen, knives will slip. For the most part, I simply seal a cut with superglue and stick a finger cot on. Burns I usually put a cream on it and cover with a bandaid to protect it until end of shift. I patched a server once with superglue when she sliced through two fingers with my knife. I advised her to go get stitches for the one. but she worked her shift, like a trooper and the patch I did seemed to hold for at least a day, but that was enough apparently for her. Burns - the worst are sauces and sugar.

Running out of everything or everyone wanting that thing you have the least of.

Modification nightmares. Other than the thought of - cook it yourself running through my mind in rare instances. some people want strange mods like "no brown flecks" "no green flecks" "absolutely no fat in the meat". Sometimes these mods can really delay how fast that dish comes out and any subsequent ones.

Allergies.

- I do my best in knowing what is in our sauces (most are made on site) but we cannot guarantee that no contact has happened to anything - particularly nuts. I do my best. I wash my hands super well don't touch anything other than the dish I am working on and often will prepare stuff on the fly to ensure I know what touched it. But this cannot always be done. My worst fear is actually harming someone through inadvertent cross contamination.

Getting yelled at.

- yep, this happens. It will happen, does happen but really when it comes down to it, its because it's super crunch time. Plates needed to be out yesterday and a stack of plates fell into the reach in fridge... and all that food must be thrown and remade and of course this is what everyone orders.

Servers taking food that was not meant for their table, causing delays on tables that have already been waiting too long.

Aside of all that. I love cooking professionally. I love the heat of the kitchen, the absolute controlled chaos of having a party of 21 ordering all at once along with the walk in standard guest orders.

This is indeed stress. Some of the most intense stress and frustrations, but for some reason, I get this rush. My only nemesis with this job is my knees. My knees were injured in a car / bicycle accident 3 years ago and I find them ache after a while, or slippery floors causing them to move wrong.

Creating food and the beauty of food.

I am not cut out for front of house. If I was a server, the guests - particularly the ones who want explicit mods, would end up with their meal on their heads or some sort of sharp comment. But for me, to create food, to make a beautiful plate of food go out to that particular guest and be told they enjoyed it - makes me feel warm. Food is amazing, colourful and versatile. there are some amazing things you can do with food to increase the wow factor and food presentation is as important as the flavour. If food is given to you neatly and attractively, your eyes have dined, and you can now expect to enjoy the flavours.

Continuous learning.

Cooking professionally means to be learning constantly. I experiment a lot at home. Right now I am making sauerkraut, oven dried tomatoes in olive oil, home made kettle chips (waiting for the sauerkraut to sour so I can use some of that as a culture for my next batch of experimental kettle chips.

Creating your own ready to cook foods. I have frozen tomato soup - just add milk. Frozen fish fingers, chicken sticks, chicken nuggets and meat pies. Knowledge of butchery means I can buy chickens and things on sale, and break them down into their components to make my own package of thighs, legs, wings, breast for whatever dishes that I need them for.

Creating your own spice mixes for dishes. Chili spice, seasoned flour spice, chinese 5 spice, curry spice, sambal oleck.

Making your own pasta, and then follow it up with amazing cheese sauces, tomato sauces, wine sauces....

god I could go on all day about the constant learning and the satisfaction of creating it yourself. Sure I enjoy my Kraft Dinner - comfort food - But that is cheap, easy and an ingredient list full of words that I dare not attempt to pronounce.

Anyway, see you laters :3 I may have some recipes to share.

^I enjoyed reading this so much, you have no idea. I've worked in a restaurant before, as well (as a cook, too) and it is exactly the same situation.

you're welcome.

I want to add though a thought to this for anyone who works in a kitchen.

You do not have to put up with any physical abuse, any mental or psychological abuse. I have been told by so many "that's working in a kitchen for you" but no it's not. It's illegal and you have rights. Same with places that do not permit you to take breaks. It's illegal and you have rights. If enough cooks and chefs Stand up for themselves and go through proper channels, it may be better regulated.

Yes kitchen cooking is a tough job, but no one in their right mind has to put up with any brutal mistreatment.

As for cooking today - I just broke down two chickens, reserving the bones for after work simmering. Not sure IF I want to cook today - still tired. But I may do something so my poor husband has a meal on his birthday.

I can't cook...very well. Meals that require a lot of steps and ingredients always result in a burnt or undercooked meal. I can only cook simple things like noodles, pasta, soup etc. I actually really like cooking its just that I find it to complicated and hard to follow the steps.

you may need to consider this, and give it a try.

Eggs for example, should be cooked on fairly low heat. it's common to crank up the pan to very hot and drop those suckers in - my stepfather Always did this, it would smoke, burn and well smoke detectors would go off - much fun.

follow the instructions set the oven to 350 - then get a thermometer in there and check, is it actually at 350. Is it hotter, or is it cooler. my mum's oven is 25° too cool, so we cook at 375.

Check if its done part way through cooking. It could cook a bit swifter - due to size or thickness and does not need the full 45 minutes (for example) and check when it is due, perhaps it needs 15 more minutes give or take because it's not quite done. It is easier to fix undercooked than over cooked.

cooking can be complicated. Sometimes what I do if I am looking ot cook something different is I view multiple videos on how they do it. I tend to like ethnic cooking so I look for the people who tend to do it daily so I can learn how they do it.

One thing though to do, especially in multi-part recipes is to get all the stuff cut and in bowls ready to go into the dish - preferably lined up in order of addition. the term we use is mise en place or mise for short. (translates loosely as everything in place) This can potentially speed up your ability to get the ingredients in without burning.

Recipes (out side of bakery stuff) is more or less a guideline. Bakery stuff it's more of a calculated formula.

Anyway - it is hard for me to describe. I'd be better at showing.

My uncle is a chef and the "that's working in a kitchen for you" thing is obviously an international one, because him and his employees sometimes talk to each other in ways that would have me crying in a corner. I enjoyed helping him out when we were living close together, but I always hated that part of it.

I would very much enjoy a recipe thread by the way. Today I'm making a goulash for dinner today and it needs to simmer for another hour, but I'm starving xd.png

@ 0023567467

I know the feeling very well. I wanted to learn to cook properly before I moved out and my family went (more or less wink.gif ) patiently through 1,5 years of my cooking experiments and many of them turned out less than ideal.

My advice is to build up to more complicated dishes slowly. I often did meals that didn't require all components to be done at the same time. For example, I made the sauce in the morning and only meat and pasta in the evening at the same time.

Yeah, work up to more complicated over time.

OH oh oh oh and because it is white, do not sub mayo for sour cream. I did that once, it was vile.

Okay how about his recipe.

Get a mandolin (a type of slicer not musical instrument) and on a very thin setting, slice potatoes. Soak in water with some vinegar and salt... I may try to determine exact measurements. it'll soften the potatoes until they are limp like cooked noodles.

soak it for 12 - 24 hour in a couple changes of water.

then deep fry at 325 for a minute or two until soft, then wait 20 minutes then fry again at 350 until golden brown.

place on paper towels to soak up oil, sprinkle with salt or favourite spice mix.

gobble up

Edit: should look like this

user posted image

Edited by Starscream

@ 0023567467

I know the feeling very well. I wanted to learn to cook properly before I moved out and my family went (more or less wink.gif ) patiently through 1,5 years of my cooking experiments and many of them turned out less than ideal.

My advice is to build up to more complicated dishes slowly. I often did meals that didn't require all components to be done at the same time. For example, I made the sauce in the morning and only meat and pasta in the evening at the same time.

Thanks for the advice there smile.gif

When I first started out I was making dishes that would require a lot of experience beforehand. Since my mum used to be a chef I always thought that I had to be at her level of cooking, otherwise I would be a let down. Turns out she didn't really care if I was a good cook or not. Anyway, maybe I should just start making a simple eggs and toast in the morning and later on in the year, that's if I've gotten better, I could go on to making Eggs Benedict.

Okay how about his recipe.

Get a mandolin (a type of slicer not musical instrument) and on a very thin setting, slice potatoes. Soak in water with some vinegar and salt... I may try to determine exact measurements. it'll soften the potatoes until they are limp like cooked noodles.

soak it for 12 -  24 hour in a couple changes of water.

then deep fry at 325 for a minute or two until soft, then wait 20 minutes then fry again at 350 until golden brown.

place on paper towels to soak up oil, sprinkle with salt or favourite spice mix.

gobble up

Edit: should look like this

user posted image

That looks really yum Starscream *drools*

I would try and make it myself but it seems that me and deep frying aren't the best of buds sad.gif

cooking experimentation again....

Today I made my own taco shells. they were a bit too thick, but the consistency was better than they were when I made them in college. I could probably enjoy the use of a taco-press to make them flatter and better.

I also made taco seasoning, so the result was a very home made taco dish that was very enjoyable!

Currently working on tomorrows dinner. Curry is a favourite of mine.

Indian Curry is what I plan for tomorrows menu:

Aloo gobi (potato and cauliflower)

I am using purple skinned potatoes and purple cauliflower

Basmati rice (just plain)

Naan Bread

And Chicken Tikka Masala

What is being made tonight is the Tikka Masala Paste, and that will become the marinade. I will broil these chicken bits tomorrow and serve with the above sides.

It smells quite amazing in here tonight.

Edited by Starscream

I am doing thanksgiving dinner the day After thanksgiving....

today we'll have:

stuffed turkey breast and leg

cranberrysauce

gravy

Stuffing (sundried tomatoes, turkey sausage and giblits)

Basmati rice.

I want to get some veg in there, but I may have to pass due to inaccessibility to my frozen veg. Also I am tired as pit. been cooking/butchering all day and I have two massive stock pots on making.

What was I butchering?

I stopped at the supermarket to see if there was anything on special after thanksgiving (yesterday for Canadians) and well I struck gold.

10kg turkey for 22 dollars

and three 2kg ducks for 5:50 - 6 bucks each

What I do is I remove the duck breasts and wrap them in pairs for eating later. I enjoy seared duck breast done rare with veg. The duck legs are done in an Indonesian style. And the bones are roasted briefly then simmered for most of a day. the resultant stock is boiled down until it forms a hard jelly. I will use that jelly for flavouring soups.

I did the same thing with the turkey (I had two) I de-boned them, roasted the carcass and froze the bits. However one leg is plenty for two people. the breasts will be saved for Christmas and my wedding anniversary. So, I shall be enjoying this for a while.

We will be serving wine with dinner tonight.

This summer I started learning how to cook on the grill, been interesting as my teacher is in Texas and I am in WA State, so it is all done over the phone and through pics and texting lol, but everything has come out very yummy smile.gif We grew what we call an experimental garden this year, harvested a lot of produce, some was frozen, some eaten naturally, some processed and canned, did a bunch of assorted pickling too yum yum.

The project now is filling a freezer, started with your normal stuff, made some home made meatballs, stuffed peppers, pre made some various flavored hamburgers, and a few other things like home made marinated meats and things. Working on getting all the fixings together to make up a few batches of cudighi, pasties, and potato sausage if anyone knows what those are they are delicious!!! I love cooking!

isn't home made ready to eat food simply amazing? It feels so good and is so much better on your pocket book.

I Love cooking! I plan on taking cooking/culinary art classes all throughout high school :3 I'm in one now though it is only for one term (/quarter) and it's almost over. D: I have multiple career options and a chef (/one relating to culinary arts) is one of them.

Love homemade ready to eat stuff! We made this amazing tomato based sauce with zucchini and eggplant that is drop dead delicious! Put away some premade breaded heirloom tomatoes, eggplant, and zucchini, oh man so much stuff, more planned just love having a great big freezer!

I'm an amateur cook. I have been married now for two years and since my husband is totally awful at cooking, I have to be the one to make sure we don't accidentally get food poisoned. I don't love cooking, in fact I used to HATE cooking, but ever since we've moved into the apartment we are living in now I have opened up a bit to using my stove and oven way more often than my microwave.

I do have a question, though. Does anyone have any tips or ideas on what kind of lunch foods to make for my husband while he goes to work that is cheap and easy but still tastes good? He is tired of pb&j's and I don't blame him. laugh.gif

I often use leftovers packaged nicely as ready to eat meals for my husband at work. I freeze them. so by the time he wants to eat it is defrosted. he just nukes it.

I guess I'll have to make more dinner the night before then. I hate leftovers, but the hubby likes them. I suppose I could try that, thanks!