MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

Dat reply, it is amazing. "A person's sexuality is a matter of choice that is to be decided by the person's parents or church"

I know it's wrong, but I actually sort of laughed when I read that. I hate people lol.

I'm pansexual and have been my entire life. As a child, I never understood why I "shouldn't" love a girl. Or a boy. Or a transgender. I remember asking my mother what was wrong with kissing and cuddling my best (female) friend and she was mortified.

Thankfully, I maintained that attitude into adulthood and dated whomever I wanted whenever I wanted to date them. I ended up marrying a man, but he is very "gender-blind" as well, so it is a good match. :yes: I could have just as easily married a woman or a transgender person. I have been in relationships with every gender and have loved many.

I simply do not see the big deal. huh.gif

I'm pretty sure Ask Amy isn't a joke advice column. The reply she gave is amazing, it made me smile.

There are just too many people that fear things that are different or they don't understand. And it's been drilled into them that being gay or basically anything that deviates from "normal" is bad and wrong.

Found this on Facebook and wanted to share.

Rather big pic...

(Am I the only one reacting on the mother's me-me-me attitude?  huh.gif )

The answer is actually longer than that. Here, if anybody is interested: https://i.imgur.com/aTd4lob.jpg

And yeah, it's an epic response to such an awful letter.

One thing that confuses me, though... I keep hearing the asker referred to as the mother. Is this revealed somewhere? I read it thinking it was the father, but heck, I'm not all that bright. laugh.gif

It just sounds like it's coming from a woman, if that makes any sense.

The answer is actually longer than that. Here, if anybody is interested: https://i.imgur.com/aTd4lob.jpg

One thing that confuses me, though... I keep hearing the asker referred to as the mother. Is this revealed somewhere? I read it thinking it was the father, but heck, I'm not all that bright. laugh.gif

Thanks for sharing.

I now want to marry that Amy person <3

Personally I think this sounds like a female's writing but that's just an emotional call.

Probably because people think it's more "woman-ly" to not only send a letter to an advice column and to fear being made fun of, although I hope we all know that's not true. You're right, though - I can't find where which parent it is being revealed.

I remember asking my mother what was wrong with kissing and cuddling my best (female) friend and she was mortified.

Awww.

One thing that confuses me, though... I keep hearing the asker referred to as the mother. Is this revealed somewhere?  I read it thinking it was the father, but heck, I'm not all that bright. laugh.gif

Thank you for the link :3

Hah- just read through it again and it never mentions gender, I guess I just assumed since women are usually the crazies.

So here's a riddle most people don't get.

A father and son are in an accident and the father dies instantly. The son is taken to the hospital, the doctor takes one look at him and says "I cant operate on him! He's my son!" Since his father died in the accident, how is this possible?

The surgeon was his mother

Meh. You probably understand, but oh well it's worth a shot on the joke thing.

Edited by Oasis

C'mon everyone, just sit back and enjoy this beautiful stamp:

user posted image

As someone who is currently struggling with their sexuality, I can say, sexuality is not a choice. When I was young I assumed I would marry the opposite sex and have lots of children. When I discovered I was attracted to the same sex I was very confused and rather heartbroken. I hadn't even realised I was attracted to the same sex because it felt completely natural. Now through, I support same sex marriage all the way. Anyone who is in love and a consenting adult should be allowed to marry.

Not sure how deep this news has permeated in non-catholic circles.

TL;DR The new Pope has basically has said that Catholics that focus in on an Anti-Gay agenda (and other social issues) are off message from whats really important (i.e. feeding and clothing the poor, ending violence). Also, when asked he responded that he is in no position to judge the LBGT community.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/20/world/eu...rtion.html?_r=0

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/29/p..._n_3669635.html

He doesn't say that the church actually changes its position on any of the mentioned matters, but progress is progress.

I may not be catholic anymore but damn I love the current pope.

He has been pretty awesome far. Proving yet again that Jesuits>Regular Priests.

He has been pretty awesome far. Proving yet again that Jesuits>Regular Priests.

YES - I wonder how long it will take for him to be assassinated. He's too good for his own good. (I am not entirely kidding here...)

I adore Jesuits. My father(an Anglican minister) used to tell RC people in his parish the Jesuit view on birth control, as told to him by a Jesuit friend:

Contraception is very very very naughty. mad.gif

Only natural BC is OK with Him Up There. smile.gif

Thou shalt not take the pill to prevent pregnancy, no matter what. mad.gif

HOWEVER:

If thou wanteth to use abstinence during thy fertile period, and thou worriest about when that actually is, it is OK to take the pill to regulate thy cycle - as long as thou abstaineth from sex on the days that thou wouldst have been fertile hadst thou not been taking it. wink.gif

Masterpiece, isn't it ! I live for the day Francis says that in public...

I adore Jesuits. My father(an Anglican minister) used to tell RC people in his parish the Jesuit view on birth control, as told to him by a Jesuit friend:

HOWEVER:

If thou wanteth to use abstinence during thy fertile period, and thou worriest about when that actually is, it is OK to take the pill to regulate thy cycle - as long as thou abstaineth from sex on the days that thou wouldst have been fertile hadst thou not been taking it. wink.gif

This is hilarious abuse of loopholes and I love it.

YES - I wonder how long it will take for him to be assassinated. He's too good for his own good. (I am not entirely kidding here...)

HOWEVER:

Haha awesome. Ive heard a lot of people are worried about P. Francis' long term prospects, but I think his view is that he going to do the most good he can for as long as he can.

And that example really shows what I love about Jesuits, they tend to have a very practical view of what it means to be a faithful person, none of that holier than thow bull**** you can see in other orders. Also, my cousin is a Jesuit Preist and OMG is he unpreistly. He uses the F word more than anyone I know.

Haha awesome. Ive heard a lot of people are worried about P. Francis' long term prospects, but I think his view is that he going to do the most good he can for as long as he can.

And that example really shows what I love about Jesuits, they tend to have a very practical view of what it means to be a faithful person, none of that holier than thow bull**** you can see in other orders. Also, my cousin is a Jesuit Preist and OMG is he unpreistly. He uses the F word more than anyone I know.

Why is that unpriestly ? My father swore like a trooper - I'm afraid that's where I learned to swear too... xd.png and believe me, I turn the air blue at times...

Priests are human as well as religious. If they are too lofty for us normal people, they can't really help us and so on.

^ don't get get me wrong, I think its a good thing and I agree about how its better to act human, But I feel that a lot of people have a perception of priests as less human, more holy.

How do you know god doesn't' swear ? Seriously. If you believe in god, given that god created everything - doesn't that include swearing ?

I know my father's parishioners used to turn to him - even the ones that never went to church - because they knew he was a real person.

Oh he probably does swear whenever he's forced to see the ways we've screwed up our lives. I have no problem at all with anyone swearing, I sound like a sailor most of the time. I mean that the general perception of most is that priests shouldn't do things like swear, and I love that my cousin defies that perception so entirely.

He doesn't say that the church actually changes its position on any of the mentioned matters, but progress is progress.

Tbh, I'm really unimpressed any time I hear news of the pope. I like how this person put it Language in link: http://candycanemiscreant.tumblr.com/post/...en-bright-wings

In reference to when the Pop first said "Who am I to judge gay people?"

Just a few quick things which make me, as a queer raised Catholic woman, not give this a second look:

• He isn’t saying anything new. The Catechism, the book that basically holds all of the rules and such written at Vatican 2, states that homosexuals should be treated with respect. When it comes to practicing what they preach, the Catholic church hasn’t really done a great job with that.

• He’s just talking about gay priests. That’s it. He’s not talking about queer women, he has stated that he will not grant women the right to become priests; he’s not talking about the rest of the queer community.

• The fact that there are still “pray the gay away” retreats that haven’t been addressed is really troubling.

• This is a really, really low bar to set for the Vatican, especially when their track record with the queer community has been subpar at best.

• So to restate: Gay priests are cool. Everyone else? The trans* community, the rest of the censorkip.gif*** spectrum? This doesn’t change a censorkip.gif*** thing.

Why should I be excited about this? And no, I’m not being flippant, I’m being realistic. When big entities, especially religious ones, start to walk the walk, because we all know they’ve been busy censorkip.gif*** talking the talk, then I’ll throw confetti.

Until then, this is ain’t news to me. This is not some big queer community victory, it’s really not.

He can talk all he wants (or in this case, not talk) but progress isn't progress until he actually makes progress and initiates change. Kind of a little better for a small subset of people isn't really all that much better at all. =|

I just wanted to jump in here with something I heard today that was absolutely awful...

I'll start by saying that I live in Canada. Most of the people I meet are friendly and accepting, but the school I go to is just impossible.

So, I have these friends. And they're completely normal, very good hearted people! However, they are completely against gay marriage and whenever gays are mentioned, they'll raise their voices and look around and stick up their noses like it's some disgusting issue.

That's not what bothers me, though. As I've said, they're very openminded, accepting people! So when this happened today--we were talking about a rather feminine guy we saw on TV, and one of them was like "my mom says he's totally [ voice lowers and looks disgusted ] gay."

And that's when it hit me.

Parents.

My own parents are very homophobic and against everything in the LGBTQA community, and so are many of my friends and classmates. It's to the point where their thoughts and opinions rub off on the children, and this massive cycle of...I guess you could call it brainwashing? Not the best term, but it's what I can think of. This cycle just goes on and on, and that's what frightens me.

Marriage laws can pass throughout America, but truth be told there are still factories and places in the Middle East and Asia where they literally force you to have sex with the other gender to 'cure' being gay.

Sorry about the sorta long post, but I just wanted to get this out. My class is just impossible--they're completely sheltered and narrowminded. I guess what I'm trying to say here is that my only concern in this developing world of ours is that, no matter what laws are passed or how many people speak, not all minds will be changed and things like this will still continue, albeit the rates drop down. And I know from personal experience that once you've learnt something from your parents, trying to think differently is hard.

It IS hard to unlearn bigotry that your parents have ingrained in you.

But changing laws does help. Laws change because people change and realize it's not okay to have things the way they were. And that slowly changes, each generation having some differing ideals from the one before. Not always for the better, mind you, but change does happen slowly like that.

It's just way too damn slow, though, and that's why we need other movements to help open the eyes and minds and hearts of people when we can to try and spread equality faster. Because the more minds we change now, the more new kids will have those more open ideas taught to them in the future.

But the hate IS a cycle. IT's unavoidable, really--each generation is shaped by the one that raises it.

My own parents are very homophobic and against everything in the LGBTQA community, and so are many of my friends and classmates.

Read this again and realize that you are not like your parents. There is hope.

whoa fast replies

It IS hard to unlearn bigotry that your parents have ingrained in you.

But changing laws does help. Laws change because people change and realize it's not okay to have things the way they were. And that slowly changes, each generation having some differing ideals from the one before. Not always for the better, mind you, but change does happen slowly like that.

It's just way too damn slow, though, and that's why we need other movements to help open the eyes and minds and hearts of people when we can to try and spread equality faster. Because the more minds we change now, the more new kids will have those more open ideas taught to them in the future.

But the hate IS a cycle. IT's unavoidable, really--each generation is shaped by the one that raises it.

It really is. And, not to be rude or think highly more of someone than others, but very often people have a hard time accepting that their parents may be wrong.

I suppose. Maybe it's childish, but I do wish that the matter could be resolved quickly. The fact that homophobia is accepted more amongst the western side of the world is great, but it's still a large, large issue in the east. The things they do to such people is inhumane...

That's certainly true! It is very, very slow. Maybe when we're dead this matter will still be in the works. And I agree! Movements are created for that reason. I can only hope they work--because sometimes they don't, and no matter what there's always going to be small towns like the one I live in that can't even bear to think of it.

That's certainly true. I guess change happens over large spans of time, even if we don't like how slow it can be.

Read this again and realize that you are not like your parents. There is hope.

Ahaha, I don't know if that was intended, but it did make me smile. You're absolutely right--there is hope! I wish we could just change the minds of everyone and make the world a better place, but even then problems would arise. But, as everyone has pointed out--things are not completely lost. ^^