MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

I read something very interesting the other day. In a recent poll taken, the demographic group in the US that supported same-sex marriage the most was Catholics, at 57%. For Catholics who attended church every week, the percent was 37%, and for almost every-weekers, the figure rose to 45%.

Thoughts about this?

As one of those pro gay marriage Catholics, I don't find that number surprising at all. Most Catholics I know do fall into two major groups, those who faithfully go to church and tend to be very conservative and those who don't and tend to be far more liberal. But let me be clear, whether or not a person goes to church is NOT necessarily an indication of faith. Some of the most faithful Catholics I've met haven't been to church in years because they disagree with the Church on issues like LGBT and Woman's rights.

I don't think this really comes out of Catholics really being more liberal than other religions though, more out of the common mentality- "Once a Catholic, always a Catholic". There is a cultural tradition to being Catholic, and as such, even when non-practicing most people who are raised Catholic will still continue to define themselves as such. In my experience, that is not true with Protestants. Those who fall away from their church tend to go to another Protestant sect, or will go on to define themselves as in a nondenominational group (Spiritual/Atheist, ect). So those who fall away from, say, being Lutheran would not count themselves as Lutheran on a survey like that, but one who had fallen away from the Catholic church typically would still say they were a Catholic.

Edited by rumor33

As a bisexual, I definitely feel that people of the same gender should get married. At the same time, I wish people weren't in such a hurry to get married.

Whenever this subject comes up, I imagine the Canadians looking at us the same way I look at a dog when it hits its head on the same object several times in a row. xd.png

For anyone who doesn't know, cuz I've met a few; Bisexual means I like both men and women.

Whenever this subject comes up, I imagine the Canadians looking at us the same way I look at a dog when it hits its head on the same object several times in a row. xd.png

As a Canadian who happens to be asexual I can attest that this is true. :V

A lot of our reactions to marriage equality debates in the US consist of "... but why?"

Edited by Lythiaren

As a Canadian who happens to be asexual I can attest that this is true. :V

A lot of our reactions to marriage equality debates in the US consist of "... but why?"

As a fairly straight Canadian, I have also heard "you HAVE to be kidding..." xd.png

Just occurred to me....everyone who is against homosexuality, quotes the passage from Leviticus, right? Hmmm....let's see.....

Leviticus is not a person, but the name of a set of laws written thousands of years ago BY HEBREW LAWMAKERS. Jesus NEVER actually preached against homosexuality. He never preached against Transgenders either. In fact, NO WHERE in the bible does it say God is against homosexuality at all. Only in the OLD TESTAMENT, where it was, again, written by men.

Think about that.

The point is, there really is no true religious basis for the bigotry.

My sister is lesbian so I am all for gay rights. I am a very strong Christian but some people could call my thoughts "non-christian" I suppose because I am not conservative at all, I don't want to go to church at all because I get bored, and I hardly pray. All I do is believe in and love the Christian God and Jesus.

Gay people are awesome. I love gay guys because (a lot of the time not all the time) they are really nice and I can talk to them about "girly" stuff like fashion and shoes (erh mah gahd shoes). I honestly can't understand how people can hate gay people like David Tutera who is so nice and giving. He is an amazing wedding planner. google him. He also has a baby through a surrogate. Even my dad loves him (not in the gay way but the friendly way) because he is just awesome.

Probably one of the best things I heard at a anti-gay protest came from a lesbian who said "Why? I love you but you don't love me. Why?" I thought that was so awesome because she didn't harbor hatred towards the people who hated her.

Gay People FTW!!!!

I love gay guys because (a lot of the time not all the time) they are really nice and I can talk to them about "girly" stuff like fashion and shoes (erh mah gahd shoes).

Er... that's a bit stereotypical. Not all gay men are into traditionally feminine things, not by a long shot.

Er... that's a bit stereotypical. Not all gay men are into traditionally feminine things, not by a long shot.

umm I said not all gay guys in my comment. And most gay guys I know has been this way so when I say "a lot of the time not all the time" I mean by personal experience. Please read before commenting. *sigh*

Probably one of the best things I heard at a anti-gay protest came from a lesbian who said "Why? I love you but you don't love me. Why?" I thought that was so awesome because she didn't harbor hatred towards the people who hated her.

I'm like this most of the time. Here, in this forum, I do occasionally get worked up if someone comes in spouting anti-gay stuff and repeatedly refuses to even respond to/read our responses. But IRL?

I have a bumper sticker, custom-made, saying "Hating people who hate gays is still hating". I don't want to be a part of the hate, period. I don't want people to hate me for something that I can't control, but on the other hand I don't want to get wrapped up in hate towards *them*, either. It won't solve anything. It won't change their minds. And frankly, unless they are high-powered politicians trying to pass anti-gay laws, I don't care what their opinions are. I'm close friends with multiple "anti-gay" people, just because a part of me and a part of them don't click doesn't mean we can't meet in the middle and be friends anyways.

I will say though I am a gay boy and I'm definitely very stereotypically feminine. >_>; but yeah that's not always the case of course!

i've never really dealt with any anti-gay people irl 'cause the only people that know are my parents. I haven't really had any direct problems with people online either. Maybe once or twice but the most I get is those awful news article comments on any LGBTQIA+ articles that I should really know better than to read by now. e__e

Edited by Switch

Just occurred to me....everyone who is against homosexuality, quotes the passage from Leviticus, right? Hmmm....let's see.....

Leviticus is not a person, but the name of a set of laws written thousands of years ago BY HEBREW LAWMAKERS. Jesus NEVER actually preached against homosexuality. He never preached against Transgenders either. In fact, NO WHERE in the bible does it say God is against homosexuality at all. Only in the OLD TESTAMENT, where it was, again, written by men.

Think about that.

*cough*

Only in the Old Testament, which is a bad translation of the Tanakh, and the verse in Leviticus only outlaws anal sex, not homosexuality.

But there are verses in the New Testament people like to mistranslate too. People who only believe the KJV is the word of God have several anti-homosexuality verses in their New Testament.

Only in the OLD TESTAMENT, where it was, again, written by men.

Not everyone believes this though.

there are some wonderful mistranslations in the Bible and associated books. One of my faves is in Psalms:

...neither delighteth he in any man's legs

Psalm 147.

(Yeah OK it is actually in the BCP - but still. For legs, read strength, as in he doesn't specially like jocks wink.gif - but - well, when I was in the choir we used to giggle rather...)

People seem to have been rubbish at translating. You could also argue that "...the Lord thy God is a Jealous God" means he wants to have anything you have, and more so xd.png

Edited by fuzzbucket

My sister is lesbian so I am all for gay rights. I am a very strong Christian but some people could call my thoughts "non-christian" I suppose because I am not conservative at all, I don't want to go to church at all because I get bored, and I hardly pray. All I do is believe in and love the Christian God and Jesus.

Gay people are awesome. I love gay guys because (a lot of the time not all the time) they are really nice and I can talk to them about "girly" stuff like fashion and shoes (erh mah gahd shoes). I honestly can't understand how people can hate gay people like David Tutera who is so nice and giving. He is an amazing wedding planner. google him. He also has a baby through a surrogate. Even my dad loves him (not in the gay way but the friendly way) because he is just awesome.

Gay People FTW!!!!

umm I said not all gay guys in my comment. And most gay guys I know has been this way so when I say "a lot of the time not all the time" I mean by personal experience. Please read before commenting. *sigh*

(Just sticking your quotes together.)

Tbh, I'm still going to echo St. Jimmy. Your post came off as kind of... fetishizing gay people. Like you liked gay people because you could shop with them - nothing about their personality, just a stereotype. We often notice stereotypes more. We notice the 'lack of stereotypical behavior' when we want to treat the person as the "model marginalized person". Like 'oh you don't conform to this stereotype, making you better than these other marginalized people!' We pick out when people conform to stereotypes and use that to defend the stereotype in our head. Gay people are not a conglomerate with one personality. If you like people you can shop with, you like people you can shop with. Not you like gay guys you can shop with. That's fetishize-y. D: It also just comes off as... not quite ally-like when you add things like "even my dad loves him (not in the gay way)" when we could have easily interpreted that without the semi-defensive "no homo" tacked on. Aaaand it also comes off as not quite ally-ish when we encourage people to love their oppressors, even though sometimes you have to be violent or at least wary just for your own survival.

You also seem really gung-ho about gay rights, but what about those of us who aren't gay but are still a sexual minority? ;3

Tbh, I'm still going to echo St. Jimmy. Your post came off as kind of... fetishizing gay people. Like you liked gay people because you could shop with them - nothing about their personality, just a stereotype.

*raises hand* Agreed. Saying "Gay people are sooooo cool, they're [insert quality here] WHICH IS BECAUSE THEY'RE GAY!" is, IMO, ignoring the individuality of specific people who happen to be gay and might be very much NOT like the quality which was just mentioned. I'm sure Sea_Kitty meant no harm or disrespect, but perhaps she should be aware that some LGBTA people (including myself) are sensitive to being treated as stereotypes rather than as individuals. smile.gif

Edited by prairiecrow

Hawaii has finally legalized gay marriage! Yay! smile.gif And here is a wonderful quote:

"In Hawaii we believe in justice, fairness, and human equality. Today we celebrate our diversity defining us, rather than dividing us." - Governor of Hawaii

Hawaii has finally legalized gay marriage! Yay! smile.gif And here is a wonderful quote:

"In Hawaii we believe in justice, fairness, and human equality. Today we celebrate our diversity defining us, rather than dividing us." - Governor of Hawaii

That's great! The bill-signing in Ilinois is tomorrow, so now my neighbors will have the option!

I do wish the Catholic Church leaders would hush up about how this is "demonizing" and "destroying families", it's making us supportive Catholics look bad. If I had the nerve I would discuss the situation with Cardinal George next month when I meet him.

Awesome! What a wonderful quote, too. Such great news. =D

That's great! The bill-signing in Ilinois is tomorrow, so now my neighbors will have the option!

Whoo!

That's a joke, right? Right? Right?? If it isn't... wow. "He won't stop being gay." What the heck?

Found this on Facebook and wanted to share.

Rather big pic...

(Am I the only one reacting on the mother's me-me-me attitude? huh.gif )

She's really weird, I saw this on Ifunny yesterday. "He won't listen to reason." What? Did you say to him "Stop being gay because gay people are weird and you're going to make everyone in church hate us, or more importantly, me for giving birth to a weird gay person like you."

I love how she says that she's afraid that people in that stupid church group will make fun of HER instead of insulting her son. I feel so bad for him. sleep.gif

I really, really hate religion sometimes.

Love the reply, though!

Edit: Although I admit the whole thing does read to me like a massive send up, rather than something serious. Have you guys never seen 'joke' advice columns? Metal Hammer's 'Ask Jurgen' column being a case in point.

Edited by TikindiDragon