MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

A small sliver of light here in Kansas. Our state senate president has expressed concerns that this law might be discriminatory (which seems pretty obvious to me) and she's said she may not be able to support it. It could still go either way when the state senate comes back into session on Monday, but hopefully the international attention this bill is getting will cause some to rethink their vote.

http://www2.ljworld.com/news/2014/feb/13/s...gay-marriage-b/

Apperently the way the law is worded there are more problems that it could cause. Because of the wording people could discriminate against other heterosexual couples on top of descriminating against SSM.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/14/k..._n_4774821.html

So maybe this will drum up more opposition to the bill.

For those of you watching this thing in Kansas, the bill isn't even going to make it to a vote in the senate. It's dead, for now.

Some further reading, if you're interested in the details:

http://www.kansas.com/2014/02/16/3293904/k...-likely-to.html

http://www.newsmax.com/US/kansas-religious...02/15/id/553005

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/17/us/polit...-gays.html?_r=0

As someone who is Pansexual, I can state that I didn't choose to be of this sexuality. I have always been indifferent about what gender my partner is - I love people for who they are.

Whether being gay/lesbian is a choice or genetic issue, it shouldn't matter. It's a personal, individual trait that shouldn't be classified as "not right" or "gross" just because some people find it taboo. We have all done something that others don't like, but they tolerated it just fine. Why is it so hard to tolerate the LGBTQA+ communities when we are capable of it?

I have yet to come across a valid argument against same-sex marriage. As for all the states wanting to legalize discrimination against the LGBTQA+ communities, I hope they're unsuccessful. It should never be acceptable to discriminate against others just because they're different.

Religious freedom bill riles gay rights supporters

The 33-27 vote by the House sends the legislation to Republican Gov. Jan Brewer and puts Arizona back at the forefront of a polarizing piece of legislation four years after the state enacted an immigration crackdown that caused a national furor.

Similar religious protection legislation has been introduced in Ohio, Mississippi, Idaho, South Dakota, Tennessee and Oklahoma, but Arizona's plan is the only one that has passed. The efforts are stalled in Idaho, Ohio and Kansas.

Basically, they want to make it *legal* for the bigots to discriminate against people based on their sexual preferences. I'm going to go throw up now.

I seriously have no freaking clue how that bill "passed" in Arizona when it's been stopped so many other places. .... Sometimes I wish EVERYTHING had to be voted on. I can't imagine voters actually putting this through.

*is an ashamed Arizonian*

The world has come so far since discrimination, and now here we are again dry.gif I don't understand how a bill like that could pass. Isn't it unconstitutional? "All men are created equal." What happened to that? Does that only count when it is of convenience for bigots?

The world has come so far since discrimination, and now here we are again dry.gif I don't understand how a bill like that could pass. Isn't it unconstitutional? "All men are created equal." What happened to that? Does that only count when it is of convenience for bigots?

I'd claim that the law is unconstitutional because of the 14th amendment, but now that it has passed it has to be signed (unless it already has haven't skimmed the article yet) and/or challenged in court.

Hopefully it passing doesn't embolden other states sad.gif

Discrimination never ended--it's an on-going struggle for pretty much everybody. Some groups have it much more severe, but there's always people discrimination against each other for the most petty and ridiculous of reasons.

But yeah, as far as the lawmakers tend to be concerned, some men are "more equal" than others, it seems.

Of course there's still discrimination, I just meant the US has come far since the days of slavery and now women can vote and all that, but this is a huge fallback.

Edit: the part about hospitals and police officers being allowed to deny service to gay couples is one of the worst parts. Even if a gay couple need immediate help, a police officer or doctor can say no? That's just so messed up.

Edited by sparkle10184

Discrimination never ended--it's an on-going struggle for pretty much everybody.

This.

But progress is being made, albeit slowly. The fact that this law *is* an issue and not simply pushed through unheard of just shows how progress has been made in even our short lifetimes.

*starts a slow clap*

Good for the owner! While some might see this as a stupid manuver or a publicity stunt its when common people take a stand that things get noticed, or if you refuse to notice them you loose the respect of the people.

(please excuse my brain just finished reading a book on The American Revolution as an insurgency, and I'm suddenly seeing some of the same things everywhere, even if they aren't as radical)

Arizona religious bill that angered gays vetoed

Loud cheers erupted outside the Capitol building immediately after Brewer made her announcement.

"My agenda is to sign into law legislation that advances Arizona," Brewer said at a news conference. "I call them like I see them despite the tears or the boos from the crowd. After weighing all the arguments, I have vetoed Senate Bill 1062 moments ago."

Thank goodness.

Federal judge overturned Texas's gay marriage ban! 8D

But, the ban is still in place while the ban supporters go through the appeals process.

Boo.

I still find it very creepy that people care so much about who other people sleep with or marry. It doesn't actually make any logical sense to put so much effort into banning something that doesn't negatively affect or even concern you to begin with. Why can't these people channel their efforts into something that actually progresses humanity?

And Ohio dropped their bill based off this one. o3o

This makes me happy :3 (honestly I hadn't been watching the ohio situation even though I live here because I wasn't aware (then again most news papers that are in my area are conservative/pro-buisness e.e))

Awesome! And it looks like Michigan will follow soon.

Honestly, I don't understand all the hate toward LGBT+ people. None of the arguments make sense to me.

The religion one? There are many, maaaaannnnnyyyyy other things in the bible that I guarantee you* don't follow. Therefore, you are making a conscious decision to hate a large group of people that you do not know, and are using religion as an excuse. Examples from a quick google search:

Leviticus 11:7-8

And the pig, though it has a split hood completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Leviticus 11:11-12

And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat ad you must detest their carcasses. Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is detestable to you.

Leviticus 11:19

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

The "unnatural" argument? *points to member title* Thousands of other species practicing homosexuality does not sound like nature's against it.

*I am using "you" to refer to people who use religion to justify discrimination based on sexual orientation. Not to refer directly to the reader (unless the reader happens to be one of those people).

I honestly wish there was more awareness of Asexuality.

People in general are very ignorant about the idea, or that has been my experience. Seems like most people are very quick to assume that such a thing isn't even possible, or that you have a sad and depressing life if you don't ever have sex. Or worse, that there must be something WRONG with you somehow because you don't want it or don't care about it. Even though I believe I may be one myself I didn't even know it was a thing until after I had graduated from COLLEGE. It was incredibly awkward at times as a teenager realizing I was different somehow from my classmates and NOT having the slightest idea why. I happened to stumble across the concept of Asexuality on the internet and was like... "Wow, that sounds like it could be me. I am not alone." I had heard of the possibility of being gay or lesbian or bi but NEVER of the fact that there are others out there not interested in sex at all, or interested in it with only a person they have a a relationship with already. Seriously though, it seems like there is something wrong that I never even heard of it.

Sorry, rant over. Those are just some peeves of mine.

Edited by Silverswift

The religion one? There are many, maaaaannnnnyyyyy other things in the bible that I guarantee you* don't follow. Therefore, you are making a conscious decision to hate a large group of people that you do not know, and are using religion as an excuse. Examples from a quick google search:

Leviticus 11:7-8

And the pig, though it has a split hood completely divided, does not chew the cud; it is unclean for you. You must not eat their meat or touch their carcasses; they are unclean for you.

Leviticus 11:11-12

And since you are to detest them, you must not eat their meat ad you must detest their carcasses. Anything living in the water that does not have fins and scales is detestable to you.

Leviticus 11:19

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.

These are a few Bible passages that people love to pick out and use against Christians, but what you (and many others) are missing is the context of these commands, which is important.

The typical answer to this is that the Old Covenant is fulfilled in the Death and Resurrection of Jesus and that Christians are now living under the New Covenant.

Example, Leviticus 11:7-8 and 11:11-12 are answered with Acts 11:6-9:

6I looked into it and saw four-footed animals of the earth, wild beasts, reptiles and birds. 7Then I heard a voice telling me, ‘Get up, Peter. Kill and eat.’

8“I replied, ‘Surely not, Lord! Nothing impure or unclean has ever entered my mouth.’

9“The voice spoke from heaven a second time, ‘Do not call anything impure that God has made clean.’ 10This happened three times, and then it was all pulled up to heaven again.

And for Leviticus 11:19, this was a prohibition (along with others) that was designed to separate the Israelites from the Canaanites and their fertility cult practices, which included mixing animal breeds, seeds, or materials to “marry them” to magically to produce offspring. This indicates that this prohibition is tied to one time and place in history, and for us would be unreasonable to keep.

(By the way, I am all for marriage equality, but I felt it was necessary to respond to this.)

Something more on-topic to the thread is something I have wondered about.

I have heard some people argue that in some of the passages in the new testament, where it appears in the English to condemn homosexuality and is interpreted that way by some, that that is a misinterpretation do to a lack of equivalent words in languages. What I have heard goes that BASICALLY in Roman times ( when the NT of the Bible was primarily written) it was fairly common for masters to expect sex from their slaves...regardless of the slave's orientation or preference on the matter, and that this was at least partly a 'dominance' thing... for lack of a better way to describe it. As a slave, you had no real right to consent or refuse and basically it would amount to rape since the slave didn't have any choice. The theory I have heard is that it was this, a sort of sexual abuse of slaves, rather than an actual consensual relationship, that is being condemned in those passages. Hope this attempt at explanation doesn't fail horribly.

I was wondering what everyone's take on that interpretation is.

Edited by Silverswift