MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

AS LONG THEY DONT ADOPT KIDS OR SOMETHING, that's just sick.

I'm not sure I follow. I would be sick if I were to be married and we wanted to adopt a child from an orphanage?

Yeah, I totally agree. Because being gay totally equals perverse fetishes to molest kids and infect them with their horrid gayness. *nodnod* Very sick, indeed. It's not like they're human beings who love other human beings or anything.

Oh totally! I mean Gays totally molest their kids way more then straight people do! Oh wait, WRONG. >.> I have friends from gay parents and they are intelligent, fun, and USEFUL members of society. They are active, contribute, really they are no different from anyone else I know. How how wonderful ignorance is.

Yeah, I totally agree. Because being gay totally equals perverse fetishes to molest kids and infect them with their horrid gayness. *nodnod* Very sick, indeed. It's not like they're human beings who love other human beings or anything.

*handwave* Course they're not people. Everyone knows teh gayz have no souls. Or something.

Seriously, what is with the "O NOES WE MUST NOT LET TEH EVOL HOMOSEKSHUALZ NEAR OUR BAYBEEZ!" thing? Last I checked, being gay wasn't contagious. Also, the vast, vast majority of paedophiles are straight.

Does it somehow make sense for children to be languishing in the fostercare system when a couple wants to give them a decent home just because that couple is made up of two men or two women? Really? Or for people who want biological children to somehow be prevented from having them because of their sexuality?

On a good note, the Maryland senate just voted yes on a gay marriage bill and the governor will be signing it. biggrin.gif Score one for progress. (Except there may be a referendum, which is really pissing me off. Can we not just accept that everyone deserves the right to marry and be done?)

Edited by LascielsShadow

You know what I find sick? Straight couples who won't adopt kids who aren't under a year old, white and healthy -- or who foster children just for the money.

What do you find objectionable about a loving gay couple raising a child they truly want and can care for? It's not like "the gay" is a contagious disease, you know. dry.gif (Or that gay people are pedophiles, which is another possible interpretation of your statement.)

roque-fox ) *frown, I have nothing else to say

What's wrong with gays raising a child.?

Im straight, but really.....

And if youre straight you can /have\ a kid. Not always the need to adopt one.

There are types of people who act like what you say.

Can't always get what you want sad.gif

Meet Dallas County Judge Tonya Parker. Judge Parker lives in a state where gay marriages are not legal. Until they are legal, Judge Parker refuses to perform any straight marriages either.

"I do not perform [marriages] because it is not an equal application of the law. Period," Parker told the Dallas Voice.

Please note, she does not prevent the couples from getting married and directs them to other judges in the building who are happy to perform the ceremonies.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Gay-Dalla...-140154903.html

"God said marriage is between a man and a woman."

Could someone please explain or point out what passage or whatever in the Bible this comes from? I want to know when and where it says in the bible that God actually defined marriage between a male and female.

"God said marriage is between a man and a woman."

Could someone please explain or point out what passage or whatever in the Bible this comes from? I want to know when and where it says in the bible that God actually defined marriage between a male and female.

Too lazy to get more, but it's stuff like this:

Ephesians 5:31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined to his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

However, you can whack Christians with polygamy, etc.

user posted image

Marrying one is like marrying two!

Gays adopting kids is NOT sick. They can be as good of parents as any straight couple. As a matter of fact, statistics show that they are exactly better (I wrote a paper on gay marriage, now if I could only find that source..).

However, when gays adopt a kid, there may be some problems. America is getting better at it, but in some places, children are still ostracized because they have gay parents. For now, if I wanted to adopt or have a kid, I would hold back on it. I wouldn't want the child to suffer for something that's not their fault.

I'm extremely disappointed that I still live in a place where people still cannot accept others as equals.

I was reading the paper the other day about NJ trying to pass Gay Marriage. Some of the things people were saying were actually making me sick. One of them was something along the lines of "I don't want my children to grow up thinking being homosexual is acceptable" and another was "The term 'marriage' should be saved for heterosexual couples. Gays have Civil Unions, which is basically the same thing. (If it is the same thing, why can't they just get married? And no, it is not the same thing)

I am straight but it still upset me. I have quite a few gays friends and they are all wonderful and caring people. A lot of them would make much better parents than most people these days.

A man being married to a man or a woman being married to a woman does not affect me, or anyone else, in any way. It will not prevent me from getting married, it will not make my marriage fall apart, it will not give me a horrible disease, it will not end the world. It will make those two people happier. Who am I to deny them happiness?

As one of my dear friends once put it: "I didn't vote on your right to marry, why should you be able to vote on mine?"

This kind of intolerance makes me never want to have children, so they do not have to grow up in a cruel world like the one we live in now. And I fear it will only get worse. We, as a society, are going backwards anymore. We have not advanced at all. Instead of worrying about the economy, children in other countries that are starving and dieing, people in our own countries that are starving and have no home, families that are losing their homes because of the lack of jobs; we are worrying about whether or not two people are allowed to get married, and people occasionally watch a movie or play a game for free.

It is sad. Just sad.

Edited by tikigurl91

Well, for every1 replying to my message, i think it's gross mainly because hard too explain when i just explained it to someone who alrerady complained about it in a PM. they can quotee it for me if they want.

SRRY PPL, JUST SO TIRED RIGHT NOW.

Well, for every1 replying to my message, i think it's gross  mainly because hard too explain when i just explained it to someone who alrerady complained about it in a PM. they can quotee it for me if they want.

Your explanation made absolutely no sense, it is based from a book that has been rewritten a zillion times to suit the needs of the church. Nice try, come back when you have a better explanation of why you feel the way you do other than "the bible says so" because that don't wash with me. If the bible told you that every friday you have to jump off a cliff because God commands it so and says everyone who does will be saved if they put their faith in him would you do it? I don't think so...

EDIT: I would like to add that I am not intolerant of other peoples religions.. In fact I am quite the opposite, my religion says to love everyone no matter age, sex, sexual orientation or religion. I personally find it annoying when a person tries to hide their real feelings on a topic with a silly cop out of an excuse like "The bible say so".

Edited by Lord_Kishin

Your explanation made absolutely no sense, it is based from a book that has been rewritten a zillion times to suit the needs of the church. Nice try, come back when you have a better explanation of why you feel the way you do other than "the bible says so" because that don't wash with me. If the bible told you that every friday you have to jump off a cliff because God commands it so and says everyone who does will be saved if they put their faith in him would you do it? I don't think so...

Not only that, but the bible is a totally invalid excuse to govern a law.

Not everyone believes it. Not everyone should be forced to do what it says.

Well, for every1 replying to my message, i think it's gross mainly because hard too explain when i just explained it to someone who alrerady complained about it in a PM. they can quotee it for me if they want.

People use the Bible to justify sexism and racism too. Sorry, but bigotry based on a book doesn't fly, regardless of whether it's directed at women, black people or gay people. dry.gif

Besides, as a Wiccan I have no earthly reason to follow the dictates of Christianity's holy book. Nor does the 67% of the earth's population who are also not Christians.

Im all for gay marriage. It"s ok w/ me.Sure its supposed to be a sacred bod btetween a man and a woman or something but who are we to judge them. If 2 gay/lesbos ppl want to get married, they should be allowed to. AS LONG THEY DONT ADOPT KIDS OR SOMETHING, that's just sick.

Btw, some of friends are gays and lesbos, but i dont mind. SOMETTIMES i think gay s are actuaually cooler than us laugh.gif THEY Also never hit on me. WAIT, should i be offended? Am i not hot enough for them? ROFLMAO

...I just joined this forum today. And this is what I see immediately coming here?

I am a lesbian. I do not go around looking at every girl I see. In fact, I work with emotional attraction before physical attraction. I am not some horny, shallow semiconscious being going around flirting with every girl I see, or trying to be 'cool'.

I'm not exactly open about my sexuality, only the people important to me, and the people I trust know.

My girlfriend and I are in a committed relationship, one we keep secret.

A relationship with the risk of social judgement, bigotry from people like you, and political threat.

And you know what? It's all worth it. And it only makes us stronger. I love her enough to put up with everything, all the needless hate, all the biased opinions and judgement.

And I'm proud of that. Because I'm not some shallow girl, chasing a shallow crush and having a fake, meaningless relationship. I'm not doing this for status, attention or for fun.

Tell me why I'm wrong.

See if you can.

I don't have a problem with gays and lesbians... My best friend is actually a lesbian, ha ha. I don't think that they should have the right to marry, though. It's just against what I believe in, personally.

I don't believe that they are destroying the sanctity of marriage, no, not in the least. The majority of that is the fault of straight people, but I'm more worried about the kids.

Not that homosexuals can't properly raise kids, that's not what I'm saying. Face it, either way, the kid's gonna get bullied and picked on when he/she gets older for having same sex parents. I don't think that's fair; it's actually kind of selfish.

Marriage isn't that important to me, luckily.. It is legal here in Canada. But society is not as advanced as our law.

I want to marry, because of the legal aspects. And the marriage taxes.

I love her just like a straight person loves their partner.

Why shouldn't I have the same benefits they get?

Marriage taxes, and personal rights.

I.e. If I were to fall seriously ill, or in a coma they would consult my partner.

If we are not married, she is powerless. And I trust no one more than I trust her, and I want my life to be in her hands if ever it is threatened, and out of my control.

Because I know I am safe there.

So, just because someone else disagrees, hypothetically.. My life should be put in someone else's hands? I should have to pay more?

That doesn't seem fair at all.

Edited by EverAll

I don't have a problem with gays and lesbians... My best friend is actually a lesbian, ha ha. I don't think that they should have the right to marry, though. It's just against what I believe in, personally.

I don't believe that they are destroying the sanctity of marriage, no, not in the least. The majority of that is the fault of straight people, but I'm more worried about the kids.

Not that homosexuals can't properly raise kids, that's not what I'm saying. Face it, either way, the kid's gonna get bullied and picked on when he/she gets older for having same sex parents. I don't think that's fair; it's actually kind of selfish.

Ah but see here is the conundrum! If equality starts now, future kids wouldn't have to worry about being bullied years and years down the road.. it would be an accepted norm by then.

Its true, kids will be bullied. But kids will be bullied about anything. I'm not saying that to belittle the emotional effects of bullying, but the exact opposite- if one child wants to hurt another child, they'll find a reason, whether it be due to weight, glasses, looks, intelligence, hobbies, race, socio-economic status, etc. Having gay parents will be just another reason, and it should be the schools' and parents' duty to help overcome it if it does happen.

Besides, the "it will cause bullying" problem has been used as a criticism before. When people were debating whether inter-racial marriages would be allowed, this was a cited as a reason not too. Clearly, bullying hasn't risen since then, and I doubt this will, either.

I'm also for allowing gay couples to adopt, since there are a lot of children who never get adopted at all. I'm personally of the opinion that kids will be more happy in a happy, loving home, whether that home is the classic 'nuclear family' or not, than sitting in the adoption system which can have lots of negative impacts on mental health.

The same argument was levelled against interracial couples having kids forty or so years ago. And frankly, I think it only gets sillier the more often it's repeated.

Bigotry and prejudice is overcome, in part, by making what the bigots fear mainstream. Many times, bigotry flourishes in a culture of ignorance and "us/them" mentality. If gay couples and their children are integrated into society, that culture and that mentality finds it much harder to take root.

I confidently predict that forty years from now, the argument you just put forward for "why those gays shouldn't marry" will look just as flimsy as the argument back in the 60's and 70's that "blacks and whites shouldn't marry each other". Me? I'm a marriage commissioner in Canada, and I've proudly married gay couples in the past, and I look forward to uniting many more such couples in legal (and often holy) matrimony in the future.

Ah but see here is the conundrum! If equality starts now, future kids wouldn't have to worry about being bullied years and years down the road.. it would be an accepted norm by then.

There will never be a point of true equality, in my opinion. Just as there is still racism and sexism, though in very little amounts, there will still be homophobia and those who don't agree with it. Even so, years and years from now isn't the problem. The problem is what's happening right now.

Its true, kids will be bullied. But kids will be bullied about anything. I'm not saying that to belittle the emotional effects of bullying, but the exact opposite- if one child wants to hurt another child, they'll find a reason, whether it be due to weight, glasses, looks, intelligence, hobbies, race, socio-economic status, etc. Having gay parents will be just another reason, and it should be the schools' and parents' duty to help overcome it if it does happen.

Besides, the "it will cause bullying" problem has been used as a criticism before. When people were debating whether inter-racial marriages would be allowed, this was a cited as a reason not too. Clearly, bullying hasn't risen since then, and I doubt this will, either.

I'm also for allowing gay couples to adopt, since there are a lot of children who never get adopted at all. I'm personally of the opinion that kids will be more happy in a happy, loving home, whether that home is the classic 'nuclear family' or not, than sitting in the adoption system which can have lots of negative impacts on mental health.

Point is, they shouldn't be bullied at all. Sure, when you put it like that, yeah, all kids are bullied for one reason or another, but as a society, we need to start cutting down this list. The American society and social media is at fault for drilling a false sense of perfection into everyone's heads.

I personally know kids who are still bullied for having interracial relationships, as well as their parents. I, myself, am in an interracial relationship and I do receive some flack every now and then from people who don't support my decisions (though I'm kind of contradicting my initial reasoning here). I understand where you're coming from, but I still don't support it.

When you put it that way, yes, I'd also much rather have a kid with same sex parents than be stuck in an adoption home. It's just against my personal beliefs, not that it shouldn't happen. I have these kind of discussions with my best friend all the time. We come from different backgrounds, so we believe in different things. Before anybody asks, I'm not a Christian. I don't belong to any particular religion. I'm not sure what one would call that.

Before anybody asks, I'm not a Christian. I don't belong to any particular religion. I'm not sure what one would call that.

I believe the term is agnostic.

Edited by EverAll

The same argument was levelled against interracial couples having kids forty or so years ago. And frankly, I think it only gets sillier the more often it's repeated.

Bigotry and prejudice is overcome, in part, by making what the bigots fear mainstream. Many times, bigotry flourishes in a culture of ignorance and "us/them" mentality. If gay couples and their children are integrated into society, that culture and that mentality finds it much harder to take root.

I confidently predict that forty years from now, the argument you just put forward for "why those gays shouldn't marry" will look just as flimsy as the argument back in the 60's and 70's that "blacks and whites shouldn't marry each other". Me? I'm a marriage commissioner in Canada, and I've proudly married gay couples in the past, and I look forward to uniting many more such couples in legal (and often holy) matrimony in the future.

If you're implying that I'm a bigot, I most certainly am not. I'm extremely tolerant and open to the beliefs of others while withholding my own opinion most of the time. First of all, I'd like to express to you that my previous statements were not to start an argument, they were simply my own personal beliefs.

I understand that not everyone is going to agree with me, of course, but like everyone else on this thread, I wanted to voice what I had to say.

Flimsy as my "argument" may be, it's only a personal opinion and I don't have any intentions of imposing it on anybody else. If homosexual marriage is legal forty years from now? Great, that's wonderful. Still against what I believe personally, but what does it matter? If it's been passed, it's been passed.

You say that you, yourself, have been bullied for being the offspring of an interracial relationship. Does that mean we should prevent people of two races having children, to stop it? For me, I'd say no.

I was bullied as a child. I was bullied for the fact that I was slightly overweight. When I was young, I was bullied because I was dyslexic and couldn't read. When I was older, I was bullied because I enjoyed reading and study. I know what its like. But bullying comes from differences, differences which should - and in the 'real world' often are- celebrated.

Kids are bullied. That is horrible. But we shouldn't punish the children who could be bullied by restricting them from loving families, and we shouldn't punish potentially loving families from having children because of that. We should continue our efforts to stop bullying at all, not getting rid of all things that make people different. To me, that's just sowing the seeds of discrimination and prejudice.