MURDERcomplexx

Marriage Equality and Other MOGAI/Queer Rights

bit of a random thing that made me happy

a few weeks ago in color theory there were a group of people talking, and one of the guys mentioned his halloween plans, and pretty much in casual conversation he mentions his boyfriend.

nobody stopped to look, no one did double takes, no one stared strangely, not a single student or the professor gave the guy strange looks.

it was so nonchalant and casual and was met with equal nonchalance like he'd said his girlfriend and i was like wow

this is tolerance or acceptance or something

this is really nice.

I do notice a marked increase in tolerance when it comes to non-hetero relationships. I've personally never been a fan of being in one, but not bothered if someone else is - so if they mention as such, I treat them as I would expect to be treated if I was talking about the woman I love.

i was just so used to the stigma of "haha boyfriend?? what a queer" that when i noticed nobody in the area could care less, it felt kind of relieving.

especially in the bible belt, where you hear about that nonsense all the time.

felt nice to see a guy comfortable enough to mention it in casual conversation to his classmates and even better to see that not a single one of them thought he was weird or immoral for it.

My dad and I have debates on gay rights ALL the time. I say this:

"If you love someone, go ahead. It's not my business if you're a homosexual or not."

I'm a girl, so I tend to think with my heart. :3

I'm a girl, so I tend to think with my heart. :3

So not in any way sexist there.

My friend posted this on facebook this other day. Simple, and it comes with pictures x3

http://www.buzzfeed.com/donnad/how-gay-rig...lizing-beastali

This is fantastic. Thanks for posting it. smile.gif More people need to see this and read it because it breaks things down clearly and simply. The amount of people I've talked to who claim to be against gay marriage when they don't even understand the issue at hand is ridiculous. I just can't understand what possible arguments people have against gay marriage. I struggle to see how any of them are valid at all.

Honestly? I don't even see why the government keeps making an issue about it. Is letting people who love each other get married REALLY so horrible that it has to be illegal just because of their sexuality? Just let them get married, its not like it'll cause the apocalypse or anything.

What AngryPencil said! Being gay myself, I obviously support gay marriage. I think that there are bigger issues that need addressing first, such as providing care, support and services for people that aren't as well off as the rest of us, but gay marriage is still definitely an issue that I think the government needs to address. Just because it's not a life or death situation, doesn't mean it's not important too.

Sorry if my grammar/spelling/whatever sucks tonight, I'm very tired. c:

Personally, I've never understood why people get so worked up over getting married in the first place. I mean unless you want to make sure your spouse gets the children in-case you die or something like that. Why not just live together? It's the same thing IMO, except you don't have paper that says or married and breaking up is easier, lol.

But at the same time, my beliefs are always weird compared to the average person. I just think differently.

With that said, I think it's silly that it's against the law in many states for gay people to have the choice. People say it's not natural, (at least that seems to be the main argument aside from going to Hell) but yet it's not like the people who are gay force themselves to be gay. It's a natural chemical reaction of some kind (I can't quite word what I mean, sorry) in the body, and so I don't see how it's not natural as it's not forced in any way.

But because obviously the grand majority of people aren't gay, they believe it isn't natural. Heavens forbid you're actually different, lol. =/

Personally, I've never understood why people get so worked up over getting married in the first place. I mean unless you want to make sure your spouse gets the children in-case you die or something like that.

That is a major factor. And there's tax reasons, health issues (gay couples often have problems with visitation that would not exist if they were married), and I believe there's inheritance problems that can arise if the couple are unmarried.

I haven't really looked into this, so some of this may be misunderstood, but the fact is, marriage grants a number of major benefits you can't have otherwise.

Plus? It's to just have equal rights, plain and simple.

As to the rest of your post, fairly well said. You can't force yourself to be gay, neither can you force yourself to be straight. As many others have said, I'd really like to see one of these 'it's a choice' people choose to be gay, then go back. I'd like to know how it's done. And I'm sure many others who live in fear of some sort of rejection, violence and hatred would like to know, too.

Edited by Dr. Paine

A number of religious leaders have signed a new letter explaining why they can't allow gay marriage to become law. The full text of that letter can be found here (pdf file): http://www.usccb.org/issues-and-action/mar...n-12-2012-4.pdf

Basically, their argument seems to boil down to the fear that once the government recognizes gay marriage the church will be forced to follow or risk losing their tax exempt status and be labeled as bigots.

Thoughts?

As many others have said, I'd really like to see one of these 'it's a choice' people choose to be gay, then go back. I'd like to know how it's done. And I'm sure many others who live in fear of some sort of rejection, violence and hatred would like to know, too.

I've got a theory on that... I think the people who think it's a choice are bi themselves and don't realize it or believe in such a thing. :3

Basically, their argument seems to boil down to the fear that once the government recognizes gay marriage the church will be forced to follow or risk losing their tax exempt status and be labeled as bigots.

But... different churches already have different requirements for who can marry and who can't--for instance, I don't know if it's church policy or like personal priests' decisions, but the catholic church won't perform marriages where either party has been divorced or where either party is of a different religion. Churches are free now to make up rules on what marriages they'll perform and what ones they won't, so that argument is just completely invalid.

But... different churches already have different requirements for who can marry and who can't--for instance, I don't know if it's church policy or like personal priests' decisions, but the catholic church won't perform marriages where either party has been divorced or where either party is of a different religion. Churches are free now to make up rules on what marriages they'll perform and what ones they won't, so that argument is just completely invalid.

If you read the letter it explains that they aren't worried about being forced to perform gay marriages but to recognize the marriages as equal. For instance, they cite being forced to place children up for adoption with gay parents or counselors losing accreditation for supplying counseling against gay relationships or religious employers being forced to provide health insurance benefits for same sex partners.

Personally, I think they sound like pretty thin excuses to me, but it's not performing the marriages this letter is concerned about.

I wasn't really mad until I read this:

Religious employers would also face lawsuits for taking any adverse employment action—no matter how modest—against an employee for the public act of obtaining a civil “marriage” with a member of the same sex.

They are literally whining that religious employers are not allowed to punish employees for getting married to a same-sex partner.

This letter is ridiculous, though none of the signers are really all that surprising. They're all representatives of the most conservative branches of their respective religions.

Yeah, I have to admit I tl;dr-ed at that originally, after all that business at the beginning about 'nature', but I've read it now.

I could be totally off-base because I have to admit I'm an outsider where it comes to organized religion, but I guess I don't get what the difference is between the discrimination that churches are already allowed to practice and discriminating against gays.

Like, if two muslims walk into a catholic orphanage (do they even still have religion-based orphanages? I am so uninformed here...) I'm pretty sure they would be turned away because they wouldn't be raising the kids catholic, and that's just something that churches already have the freedom to do, because they're churches. The thing is, people don't usually want to associate with churches who discriminate against them, so I can see some churches adapting, the religious gays going there instead, and other churches carrying on as they are and it's just fine because the people who would be offended gravitate to other churches, just as it is now with other issues. The whole thing just seems to me like a total non-issue because churches are the one institution that's allowed to practice discrimination, as part of religious freedom. The instances quoted of the state forcing the church to do gay things seems like the state stepping on religious freedom to me.

Washington state is working on becoming the seventh state in the US to allow gay marriage. The measure passed their state senate and is expected to be passed by their house. The governor supports it and will sign it into law, but opponents are threatening to put a referendum on the ballot to overturn it once it passes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-573...e-gay-marriage/

Washington state is working on becoming the seventh state in the US to allow gay marriage. The measure passed their state senate and is expected to be passed by their house. The governor supports it and will sign it into law, but opponents are threatening to put a referendum on the ballot to overturn it once it passes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505245_162-573...e-gay-marriage/

I saw this when I signed into MSN today. I do hope this passes for the people of Washingtom State.

Being a "I won't lie to you if you ask me (they have to be at least semi-close to me), but I'm not gonna put it out in public on purpose" Bisexual (leaning more towards homo), I have to say it's pretty censorkip.gif annoying when you're on a bus, and the whole bus ride is filled with people calling eachother gay/inappropriate comments concerning that.

Now, that may be because they're middle schoolers (as am I, but I'm going into highschool next year) and they think it's funny, but when the juniors and seniors get in on it too, it becomes ridiculous.

What makes it so "wrong" to like people of the same gender? What we do in privacy is none of their business. No one has the right to insult and degrade another person because they happen to like the same sex. But I guess it's "human nature" to reject everything that's different, if it's convenient for them. dry.gif

Also, any advice for coming out to a (very clueless) friend? She seems like she'd be okay with it, but I don't know...I've caught her using certain demeaning terms a few times before. In a very off-hand, casual manner, I have mentioned the idea of homosexuality to her (to try to reference my inner turmoil), but it seems to kind of make her awkward. :/

I'm for it, being gay myself. A few of my friends know, but I'm hoping to come out soon, because I'm getting tired of people asking why I don't have a girlfriend. Of course, I'm sure most people know by now, because I make it pretty obvious. xd.png It is really annoying being around people who use derogetary words and junk. I usually don't let it get to me, but I'm really sensitive, so I end up pretty depressed (emotion, not clinical) sometimes. All my attempts at coming out have failed disaatrously. xd.png But I promised myself I'd come out in ninth grade, which is next year. 'Cause it would be awesome to actually have a boyfriend. xd.png

I'm for it, being gay myself. A few of my friends know, but I'm hoping to come out soon, because I'm getting tired of people asking why I don't have a girlfriend. Of course, I'm sure most people know by now, because I make it pretty obvious. xd.png It is really annoying being around people who use derogetary words and junk. I usually don't let it get to me, but I'm really sensitive, so I end up pretty depressed (emotion, not clinical) sometimes. All my attempts at coming out have failed disaatrously. xd.png But I promised myself I'd come out in ninth grade, which is next year. 'Cause it would be awesome to actually have a boyfriend. xd.png

I can get kinda annoyed after hearing derogatory statements all day, too. I hear 'that's so gay' every day, in all of my classes at school. It gets so annoying.

Good luck coming out. I came out to my parents in the ninth grade when I brought home my first girlfriend (wasn't the best of experiences, but anyway). Is it your you plan to come out to? Anyway, good luck again. (:

I can get kinda annoyed after hearing derogatory statements all day, too. I hear 'that's so gay' every day, in all of my classes at school. It gets so annoying.

You can easily retaliate by saying, "you find -insert subject matter- happy?" since 'gay' can be used to describe happiness.

You can easily retaliate by saying, "you find -insert subject matter- happy?" since 'gay' can be used to describe happiness.

I've tried the 'gay means happy' retort. As have I used the 'fag means cigarette/I am not a cigarette', among others.

They haven't worked for me.