Sorrowgrave

Mass Effect

There is no "best'' ending. All three have one key thing to make them equally horrible as the others.

Hence the reason "best" is in parentheses... even what they considered the best was still horrible.

I wish there was a better ending. Though if you guys didn't/hadn't known, there is an extra ending that is not as "ending" as other endings.

If you mean the one where you destroy the Reapers and Shepherd lives, that one sucks just as much.

Next time I play, I'm going to get to the part where Shep and Anderson are sitting there looking at Earth and turn off my Xbox. I'll imagine that Shep had the best seat in the house for the complete destruction of the Reapers, there was no Star Child, the mass relays aren't destroyed, and just before the citadel explodes Shep beams herself back to Earth. She passes out on the ground right there, gets carried to safety by a Geth Prime, and wakes up a day or so later on a cot in an improvised infirmary with Garrus sleeping in a chair next to the cot. :/

At least I wouldn't have to talk myself into playing again, "Come on Jen, just remember how freaking awesome the game was until the last 10 minutes!"

Edited by Draco Knight

Been reading some comments on Amazon and, wow! I've rarely seen those many 1 star comments on any product, aside from some very, very bad books and EA's Spores.

Most comments agree that the game was great but the ending ruined it. Since I avoided reading spoilers, I can only speculate. Is the ending really that bad? I'm not expecting Sheppard to survive at all, nor the Galaxy to come out unscathed, but I am at least expecting to have put the Reapers under control to avoid any more future mass extinctions. It would be a satisfying enough ending for me because, to be honest, I'm kind of tired of the happily ever after endings.

Now I'm the more interested in playing, although I'm a little fearful at EA's influence. They destroyed Dragon Age with that lame excuse of a game they called DA2. I just hope they didn't ruin ME.

32,000 people have voted on a poll that was created 2012-03-05 with the choices "The endings are horrible, we want a new one." Those 32,000 people are the majority by 89% for that poll. People are definitely taking action. Even Drew Karpyshyn, the writer for Mass Effect 1, has been responding to this. This is getting big. We have a good shot, I think.

http://www.facebook.com/DemandABetterEndingToMassEffect3

http://social.bioware.com/633606/polls/

It's not the point that the ending is sad. Yes, it is galactic war. Yes, it is expected people will die. Even YES, people expected it to be sad.

But this is outright depressing. It made some people seriously ill. Bioware takes everything the fans were looking to seeing in an ending, ripped it apart, and injected it with space magic and plot holes.

Been looking at those links, TheDarkCyder. It's quiet a large bunch of people, but I wonder what is the exact percentage of those who bought the game. Might be quiet a bit if the creators are responding.

I don't know what they are planning, but if they are going to include the ending in a DLC or whatever I'm going to be seriously pissed. I mean, it's like buying a book and having to pay an extra 10 bucks to get the last 2 chapters.

And it certainly would depend on what they do. ME DLC were ok. BUt DA; Awakening, Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronichles were outright stupid.

Haven't played DA2 DLC, so I wouldn't know.

As, "Hey Bioware, I see what you did there!" an 'actual' ending DLC would be, I'd buy it. I'd buy it without an ounce of hesitation. Which is unfortunate, since if enough people are like me expect something like that to happen again.

But maybe Bioware will decide to release alternate endings for free. It would get them HUGE brownie points. HUGE.

Until then...I'll stick to my 'turn my Xbox off' when it reaches the part at the ending BEFORE it all goes to heck.

Been looking at those links, TheDarkCyder. It's quiet a large bunch of people, but I wonder what is the exact percentage of those who bought the game. Might be quiet a bit if the creators are responding.

I don't know what they are planning, but if they are going to include the ending in a DLC or whatever I'm going to be seriously pissed. I mean, it's like buying a book and having to pay an extra 10 bucks to get the last 2 chapters.

And it certainly would depend on what they do. ME DLC were ok. BUt DA; Awakening, Witch Hunt and Darkspawn Chronichles were outright stupid.

Haven't played DA2 DLC, so I wouldn't know.

It's not that the endings aren't conclusive. You do get a whole game. But it isn't how people wanted it to end.

It's not that the endings aren't conclusive. You do get a whole game. But it isn't how people wanted it to end.

Well, I'm sorry but that's creative license and they are absolutely entitled to it. I didn't want many things to happen in many books or movies, but I won't automatically go in a fit because I don't get the ending I was expecting.

I was hoping Edward would kill Bella in Twilight and hook with Jacob xd.png.

Anyways, I was afraid they might have done something like in DA2, when you reach the end and all you get is that the Warden is missing and Hawke is missing, unlike DAO where you're told what happened to the characters, even secondary ones.

If the only problem is that the ending didn't please everyone... well, I can't say anything against that. I was actually hoping it wouldn't be a happy ever after cliché.

It's not so much that the endings are bad because they are sad and people wanted a happy one...if it was just that there wouldn't be such an unanimous 'This Sucks!' from gamers. Well, not completely unanimous but as close as you can get with gamers.

The endings make no sense what-so-ever, plus ALL your decisions up till then(ME1-ME3) are rendered pointless. For a game that boasts 'decisions matter' that is a huge let down. I was prepared for Shepard to make the ultimate sacrifice, I was not prepared for an ending that leaves no real way to 'win.' All of the endings feel like Shepherd(me) has failed. All that work, the tears, the love, the hard decisions, mean nothing.

All of the endings are vastly unsatisfying. Like you had an amazing diner, delicious food shared with company you truly enjoy, and desert was a mudpie.

I honestly do not understand all the negative feedback in regards to the ending. I found the ending perfectly bittersweet.

Okay, so I finally had a chance to marathon the game and got in another... six-ish hours.

OH GOD WHY BIOWARE WHY. I've literally burst into tears twice now. WHY DID YOU KILL MY TOP FAVORITES FROM ME2?! And Wrex calling Shepard a sister. And the prayer and... ugh, this will be so much harder on my other file where Thane was Shepard's love interest. I'm gonna go cry some moar now.

... -cough-

I'm quite enjoying it.

Edited by Dr. Paine

I honestly do not understand all the negative feedback in regards to the ending. I found the ending perfectly bittersweet.

Where's the sweet? I see none.

--

People don't dislike the ending because it's "sad." They dislike the ending because it doesn't make sense. It is full of plotholes. It leaves the player with more questions rather than a conclusion.

Well, if it is because of the plotholes that'd be a different story. Guess I'll have to wait till I finish it to get a more objective POV.

Anyways, only spoiler I allowed myself out of sheer curiosity. Tali's face revelation.

Now that was a WTF!

3 games veiling the mystery and all we get of her face is a damned picture of some random model they took out of Google? REALLY?

Now that's insulting. Every character gets a full rendering and a somewhat original look to them, and Tali is dismissed with a damned photograph of a human? I wouldn't have minded if she was humanoid, but come on, she's an alien, she walks on her toes and has three fingers, and yet her face is completely human? How cheap, miserable and insulting can Bioware get?

What has EA done to it?

I'm starting not to feel so eager to play it. I mean, DA2 was a complete let down compared to DAO. They transformed a rather enjoyable tactic RPG into a full time, cheap buttonsmasher with recycled dungeons and a story that was, simply, absurd. You jump from the epic Save The World fantasy archetype to the wonderful journey of Kirkwall's Errand Boy.

I fear Mass Effect will be destined to become a shooter, and I fear all the same that, in the namesake of money, niche gamers are going to loose against the much more popular console shooters.

A minute of silence for the death of RPGs.

People don't dislike the ending because it's "sad." They dislike the ending because it doesn't make sense. It is full of plotholes. It leaves the player with more questions rather than a conclusion.

Go look up the indoctrination theory. It's got a lot of support to back it up.

Shepard was hallucinating/dreaming.

Crucible = a severe test

Catalyst = remains unchanged after the process is done

The kid frames it as if the destroy option is the bad choice. Pick the other two, and they successfully indoctrinated you. Pick the destroy option, and Shepard is back in the fight doing what he was set out to do.

The grandpa/kid part in the end was implying that y'all were just children that didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

Etc.

Maybe they were this clever. Maybe they weren't.

Anyways, only spoiler I allowed myself out of sheer curiosity. Tali's face revelation.

Now that was a WTF!

3 games veiling the mystery and all we get of her face is a damned picture of some random model they took out of Google? REALLY?

Now that's insulting. Every character gets a full rendering and a somewhat original look to them, and Tali is dismissed with a damned photograph of a human? I wouldn't have minded if she was humanoid, but come on, she's an alien, she walks on her toes and has three fingers, and yet her face is completely human? How cheap, miserable and insulting can Bioware get?

What has EA done to it?

user posted image

xd.png

Hey! Some people walk on their toes!

Seriously, though. This is trivial. I don't know what your definition of humanoid is, but Tali definitely would fit in the category regardless of ever knowing what her face looked like.

It was not a shocker that she was going to be sexually appealing. So they made her into a space elf. That's what many wanted. Giving her a pig face would have been equivalent to the perceived ending that was given. There would have been moaning and groaning. People are complaining mostly because they were caught using a stock photo, yet this is nothing compared to other shortcuts that have been taken e.g. DA2 reused places that revolve around one city and used stupid blocks to paths.

Green-skinned space babe is a trope. Many are just a minor feature away from being identical to humans.

"Green-skinned space babe is a trope. Many are just a minor feature away from being identical to humans. "

Hell, it's been in Mass Effect from the very start- just replace 'green' with 'blue' and add tentacle scalps.

I'm pretty impressed they only did this (and by 'this', I mean extreme humanoidism) to three out of... what was the last count, about a dozen visible species? Maybe more? I haven't actually made it to see Tali's face yet, nor have I seen any spoilers, but I always figured quarians would be one of the much more human-looking species, at least in facial features.

Edited by Dr. Paine

Crucible = a severe test

The kid frames it as if the destroy option is the bad choice. Pick the other two, and they successfully indoctrinated you. Pick the destroy option, and Shepard is back in the fight doing what he was set out to do.

The grandpa/kid part in the end was implying that y'all were just children that didn't understand the gravity of the situation.

Etc.

user posted image

xd.png

Seriously, though. This is trivial. I don't know what your definition of humanoid is, but Tali definitely would fit in the category regardless of ever knowing what her face looked like.

It was not a shocker that she was going to be sexually appealing. So they made her into a space elf. That's what many wanted. Giving her a pig face would have been equivalent to the perceived ending that was given. There would have been moaning and groaning. People are complaining mostly because they were caught using a stock photo, yet this is nothing compared to other shortcuts that have been taken e.g. DA2 reused places that revolve around one city and used stupid blocks to paths.

Green-skinned space babe is a trope. Many are just a minor feature away from being identical to humans.

There is a difference between humanoid and outright human. Babylon's 5 Mimbari were humanoid, but still had enough difference to not make them humans.

Asaris are humanoid, yet not human.

I'm not complaining that she is hot, although I admit it would have been more interesting if she were more reptilian, like Garrus for example.

I'm complaining that they ditched all Quarian concept art which made them a bit more alien in the name of a cheap photoshop. Tali's been there since game 1 and she doesn't even deserve a proper design?

A picture???? From some babe off the internet????? Cheap and insulting!

Anyways, I was from the people who would have rather kept the mystique. There was something appealing in the fact that you couldn't see her face, it made her far more interesting than the other female characters which are... well... archetypical hot characters to appeal male gamers.

Yeah, the recycling of dungeons bothered me in DA2, among other many things. That it was such a big failure is the reason I tend to bring it up. tongue.gif

Crucible = a severe test

Etc.

user posted image

xd.png

I have read that. There's no hard evidence to support it that couldn't just be Bioware messed up.

There is a difference between humanoid and outright human. Babylon's 5 Mimbari were humanoid, but still had enough difference to not make them humans.

Asaris are humanoid, yet not human.

How is she outright human? Their legs are different. The amount of digits is different. Their ears are different. Etc.

Elves are humanoids. Why can't she be one? Likewise, an alien just means it originates elsewhere.

Look at the Syreen from Star Control II. Seems like some people think skin color makes all the difference.

user posted image

Besides the top of Llara's head, it's just looks like an attractive blue human face. Look up Jillian Murray if you don't already know.

I'm not complaining that she is hot, although I admit it would have been more interesting if she were more reptilian, like Garrus for example.

I'm complaining that they ditched all Quarian concept art which made them a bit more alien in the name of a cheap photoshop. Tali's been there since game 1 and she doesn't even deserve a proper design?

A picture???? From some babe off the internet????? Cheap and insulting!

Well, I'm guessing one of their employees thought it'd just be easier to steal from nature. Tons of choices. Nature does a rather good job.

This is analogous to relatives giving you gifts you don't want, and you really would wish they would just give you money. For some, it's a no-no because "it's the thought that counts". Bioware decided to give everyone dollars and some got butt hurt over it. xd.png

What concept art do you speak of? There was official concept art?

Anyways, I was from the people who would have rather kept the mystique. There was something appealing in the fact that you couldn't see her face, it made her far more interesting than the other female characters which are... well... archetypical hot characters to appeal male gamers.

Would have been funny if they teased them some more.

I have read that. There's no hard evidence to support it that couldn't just be Bioware messed up.

True. After all, their reaction, the poor execution (essentially DLC would be needed, or it's just hanging), and Occam's razor definitely favors the bad writing theory. Thought it was interesting though because I think it's much better alternative than what was perceived by everyone, and it can close the holes i.e. makes more sense at least to me and many others.

How is she outright human? Their legs are different. The amount of digits is different. Their ears are different. Etc.

That was until they decided to use a human woman for the face picture.

Elves are humanoids. Why can't she be one? Likewise, an alien just means it originates elsewhere.

If you're talking about Tolkienesque elves, they're pretty much human with pointy ears.

Look at the Syreen from Star Control II. Seems like some people think skin color makes all the difference.

That is human.

Besides the top of Llara's head, it's just looks like an attractive blue human face. Look up Jillian Murray if you don't already know.

Yes, but somehow the lack of hair does the trick. In Babylon 5, the mimbari were humans in a disguise (obviously), but the crest, the lack of hair (even facial hair) and the different skull structure was enough to make them look more alien.

Well, I'm guessing one of their employees thought it'd just be easier to steal from nature. Tons of choices. Nature does a rather good job.

They did an amazing job with other races. It irks me that they got lazy on the most interesting one.

It's the fact that it's a 20 minutes photoshopped image that irks me more than the concept itself.

This is analogous to relatives giving you gifts you don't want, and you really would wish they would just give you money. For some, it's a no-no because "it's the thought that counts". Bioware decided to give everyone dollars and some got butt hurt over it. xd.png.png

I don't get it.

What concept art do you speak of? There was official concept art?

Yep.

Though yes I have beat the game, I have yet to see her face. Though from what you guys are saying, she is human with only alien features excluding the face. I expected dramatic music, romantic flirts ( Seen with both Shepards) and overall enthusiasm from Bioware. I just don't see why they would do that. Maybe they got tired of the game making. Eh. EA finally made a retail mistake of a scene that doesn't last to long for anyone.I have to say that Legion's death or "Disablement" was sad. I personolly love synthetics. Or robots, technology, electricity. Whatever.

Well. It took... I dunno. Five hours? I'm not sure when I started. But I made a marathon push to the end of ME3.

And you know what? I actually like it. I'm surprised- even reading what I did, I had some fears that I'd still wind up hating it. But... well, I didn't. Sure, I'm crying quite a bit, but despite all the flack I've been hearing about it, all the whining about plot holes and 'it's not in line with Mass Effect'...

I like it. Maybe it's because I have a fairly strong suspension of disbelief when it comes to this series, but everything felt fairly in line with the tone of the series- no matter how much is lost, there is still hope. Life will carry on, one way or another. Now yes, I do hope there might be... 'happier' endings, or a stronger epilogue. But I'm not too torn up over it, honestly- you just don't get all the answers most of the time. It's the The End of A Series of Unfortunate Events, which... actually had a reception somewhat similar to this, come to think of it. Hm.

I chose Synthesis. Which I had to admit, it felt like a callback to Legion's sacrifice for the geth- except with nanomachines. ... probably, I'm aware it wasn't directly mentioned, but I'd bet what money I have that it was some kind of giant release of nanomachines via the Relay system/their 'splosions. Which hey, works for me, and probably helps eliminate that pesky 'how can dextro-aminos survive' question that everyone seems to have. As for synthetics becoming somewhat organic... I'd bet it may have been something like the omni-blade- taking whatever's around that fits and configuring it into what's needed.

Now, going into 'personal headcanon' territory, I think the... 'rewriting DNA' thing was not entirely accurate. For whatever reason, I've got it in my head that only those alive at the time of the change would actually be cyborgs, any future children would revert right on back to organic. And even then, I'm sure they'd figure out some way to go back if they wanted. They might not. Who knows. I just wanted to give my two cents on this xd.png I personally haven't noticed any massive plot holes, and hey, even if they're there, I'm still satisfied. Nothing wrong with that, is there?

And because I'm sleep deprived as hell and feel like saying goodbye to my Shepard-

Rest in peace Adrian, be it beyond the sea or in whatever bars heaven has. Your story- and that of the galaxy- has been a joy to follow, and I look forward to seeing what comes next; as well as going back and creating a new one from the very start.

... -raises a GUARDIAN-tier shield just in case-

Edited by Dr. Paine