Purebred dogs aren't mutts because they are bred to conform to a standard. They have predictable drive, predictable body shape and predictable health issues. They don't have any more or less than mutts do.

Uh, yeah they are. *laughs* If you go back far enough in their bloodlines, you'll find that they come from different breeds of dogs that probably no longer exist.

Uh, yeah they are. *laughs* If you go back far enough in their bloodlines, you'll find that they come from different breeds of dogs that probably no longer exist.

If you're using a very loose definition of mutt, then sure, the first generation of any breed could be semantically considered 'mutts'. Once a breed standard is codified and accepted by a recognized kennel club, all dogs that are registered and bred to standard within that breed are considered purebred dogs.

I like dogs. I'm an animal person generaly (meaning normally I like them a lot more than I like most people).

It must be said though, from the point of view of being the kind of person that goes door-to-door (and, being a meter reader, the kind of person that people don't tend to *mind* going door-to-door) it's the smaller breeds of dog I've had more trouble with. Good owner will normally discipline large dogs, but for some reason people don't feel the need (as much anyway) to discipline the smaller ones. The only dogs that have ever tried to bite me are the ones about the same size as my cat.

I'm a cat person, but I do have to say. Dogs are quite awesome, even if cats are better to me.

I have two dogs. One is a purebreed lab his name is Ink, trained to be a guiding eyes for the blinde, but he failed the test to become a guide dog and we'd become attached anyway so we kept him.

Then when are older dog died after a few years we got another for Ink so our favorite puppy would have smeone to play with. The mutt so adorable he has this stupid face, he'll tilt his head with his touge hanging out and it's adorable.

I would suggest chatting up a local rescue that does fostering. They'll know the personalities of their dogs very well and will probably be able to match you with a dog that fits your requirements.

Okay, I'll do that if my parents decide to let me get a dog.

Do any of you know a breed of dog that is calm, doens't shed a lot of fur, and/or is quieter than others?

Dachshunds are calm usually, but really stubborn and they bark.

Honestly your best bet is to get an older dog from the shelter (4 years+)

I love dogs. Whenever I see someone walking by with one, the little kid inside me just wants to run up and start petting it x3

My family has always had large dogs. Particularly lab mixes. (My father's in love with labs). The one we have now is a Chesapeake Bay Retriever named Tuck. He is the dopiest looking dog ever. We got him from a local shelter and we were told he was a small chocolate lab. But he behaved very differently than most labs and we had a hard time training him. It wasn't until a couple years ago that someone commented that he looked an awful lot like a chessie. xd.png

Edited by Daydreamer09

Dogs are so awesome. I have two at the moment, a female mix of a golden retriever and I think a pit bull or something like that named Butterscotch, and I think a full bred Belgian Tervuren male named Sargent.

A Belgian Tervuren looks like this, by the way-

user posted image

They're so fluffy~ ^w^

We have 5 miniature dogs. They are sooo cute!

The mother:Black Lab, German Shepard, and Huskey tongue.gif

Edited by evangeline5432

Huskies and collies are two of my favorite dog breeds <3

Chihuahuas are adorable, but they're so...yappy.

ok this is kinda of a stupid question

but i have been told i can have a dog that has hair not fur..

Do bull mastiff have hair or fur?

I'm a cat and dog person. I love Cats and always wanted one since my cat died but I have three little dogs and love them. I have two Shih-tzus that are both Females and a Lhasa Apso who's also a Female.

What's the difference between hair and fur? o.O

my understanding is fur has dander and hair doesn't...

A Belgian Tervuren looks like this, by the way-

user posted image

They're so fluffy~ ^w^

Oh! I've never seen that breed before.

Very pretty. :3

Are they rare?

no clue

i'm getting kinda of annoyed though because i asked a bunch of people who work for an animal shelter thinking they should now

And the only dogs they can tell me to get is the little ones that reminds me of rats...

And the fact they keep telling me that Shih-tzus are great for people with allergies when my son has allergy reactions to my grandma's Shih-tzus...

Wow. They work at an animal shelter and they don't know?

And yes, that is very pretty <3

Allergies usually depend more on dander than on the actual coat type of the dog. Mastiffs have fur, but as a short haired dog they're easier to keep clean. Poodles have hair and tend not to be quite as allergenic. People at animal shelters won't neccessarily know this kind of thing-the people you really want to ask are groomers. I'll prod my girlfriend and find out more.

I've heard that poodles are good for people longing to have dogs but have allergies.

ok this is kinda of a stupid question

but i have been told i can have a dog that has hair not fur..

Do bull mastiff have hair or fur?

Fur. Dogs with hair are dogs with coats like a poodle's.

Also, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.

If you must have a big dog though, Standard Poodle is the way to go.

Edited by Kayota

darn... i hate poodles.... so much for having a dog...

Standard poodles are pretty tough dogs. They're hunting dogs, and also incredibly intelligent.