Standard poodles are pretty tough dogs. They're hunting dogs, and also incredibly intelligent.

I got to meet one once that had a schutzhund title. Totally awesome dogs. biggrin.gif

Standard poodles are pretty tough dogs. They're hunting dogs, and also incredibly intelligent.

are they still small dogs...

I remember there was one breed of dog that had absolutely adorable eyes.

Wish I could remember the name of the breed.

It was a mix of two dogs...that I remember...

No, they're very large dogs.

http://dogbreedinfo.com/standardpoodle.htm

"Height: 15 (38cm) or more.

Weight: Dogs 45-70 pounds (20-32kg.) females 45-60 pounds (20-27kg.)"

that isn't that large for me...

Height: Dogs 25-27 inches (63-69cm) Females 24-26 inches (61-66cm)

Weight: Dogs 110-133 pounds (50-60kg) females 100-120 pounds (45-54kg)

is large....

My family has a Belgian Tervuren/husky mix and a German shepherd/golden retriever mix. The Terv mix is the smartest dog I've ever seen, and an all-around great dog, but the other one's dumb as bricks and can be rather annoying. :( She's unfortunately in the dog house right now (no pun intended) as she nipped at the other dog and made him whimper. My parents are upset because she "hurt his feelings." /rolls eyes

Add that to the fact that she freaks the hell out during thunderstorms and has done about a thousand dollars worth of damage to our house, though. . . :\ I'm kinda scared I'm going to come home one day and only find one dog.

Edited by JOTB

Golden retrievers are the smartest type of dog, I think. If I would have a puppy to train, it would be a golden retriever.

Golden retrievers are the smartest type of dog, I think. If I would have a puppy to train, it would be a golden retriever.

Depends on what you want it for.

But it's always been said that the smartest breed is the border collie.

I'd love to see a golden retriever hunting hare xd.png.

that isn't that large for me...

is large....

You could always try a Giant Schnauzer? Height 24" - 28", weight 70lbs -100lbs. Schnauzers are also a recommended breed for allergy sufferers. My Dad's allergic to dogs, but he's happily owned a schnauzer for years. They do bark, though.

They have predictable drive, predictable body shape and predictable health issues.  They don't have any more or less than mutts do.

(The above is truncated for space)

While purebred dogs are just likely to have extremely dehabilitating and/or agonizing health issues as mutts: the issue is that people are aware of this happening and yet still selfishly breed these PARTICULAR breeds together just to get more 'pretty' dogs- therefore continuing the genetic trait and bringing more suffering into the world.

The condition quoted below (occurring in the purebred Cavalier King Charles Spaniel) could only have come about through intense 'purebred' breeding because apparently dog breeders have some incessant need to create a dog where "The skull is slightly rounded, but without dome or peak..." (k9web.com, viewed on the 24/07/10) which often leads to small skulls.

"... in agony due to a condition known as Syringomyelia, which occurs as a result of the skull being too small for the brain." ~ Wikipedia.org, viewed on the 24/07/2010

I watched that video, and I started crying from how horrible the sounds which the poor dog was making were. It was in utter agony- it was SCREAMING IN PAIN.

"Leading geneticist Steve Jones attributed one of the key problems to inbreeding." ~ Wikipedia.org, viewed on the 24/07/10

Here is the link.

This inbreeding (and therefore horrible genetic disease) came about how?

Purebred show dogs.

Breeders inpregnating mothers to sons, fathers to daughters, mothers to brothers- just to get that 'perfect dog'- regardless of the consequences (whether medical or temperamental) this activity brings about.

"The deformities that have been inflicted on purebred dogs -- tiny size, giant size, very short nose, protruding eyes, short crooked legs, a long back, loose jowls, long heavy ears, wrinkled folds of skin, etc. -- can only be maintained by deliberately and continuously breeding such dogs TOGETHER." ~ The Truth About Crossbred Dogs, viewed on the 24/07/2010

Here is the link.

This further backs up my claim that mutts are the more ideal of dogs.

Would anyone want to condone this behaviour by breeders?! Supporting the production of purebred dogs only encourages those who care nothing about the genetic welfare of the wonderful animals we call dogs.

-end rant-

To be honest, I find myself having to ask: where do you back up your claims? This practice of 'purebred' breeding upsets me greatly and I just don't see how someone could be horrible enough to inflict such pain upon such wonderful creatures.

This inbreeding (and therefore horrible genetic disease) came about how?

Purebred show dogs.

Breeders inpregnating mothers to sons, fathers to daughters, mothers to brothers- just to get that 'perfect dog'- regardless of the consequences (whether medical or temperamental) this activity brings about.

Sorry, but I've got to tell you that's simply and bluntly bad breeding practise. Not all pedigree animals are line bred. Not all pedigree animals are bred 'willy nilly' with no thought to the genetic problems that might be encountered. Plenty of purebred animals are bred for helth and temprement as well as to conform to breed standards.

Yes there are bad breeders out there. But not all breeders are bad breeders. There are plenty of good, helthy purebred lines out there. You cannot condemn all breeders of pedigree animals for the actions of the bad ones.

For goodness sake I recently helped to run a forum on good breeding practise (for the Cat Fancy) which included a speaker from the genetics committe of the GCCF, and respected vets. Saying that *all* purebred animals are horribly inbred, bred only to 'look good' with no thought to their health, and that buying a purebred animal is supporting cruelty and bad breeding practise is an appaling lie that shows you know very, very little about the actual workings of the Pedigree Breeders world.

I call bullsh!te.

I'm not trying to start an argument here, TikindiDragon.

This is my opinion and I stick by it.

This is what I believe and 'calling bulls***t' is not a very nice way to respond.

Depends on what you want it for.

But it's always been said that the smartest breed is the border collie.

I'd love to see a golden retriever hunting hare xd.png.

Oh, right...

What? A hunting hare?

Oh, right...

What? A hunting hare?

Hunting a hare. As in the lagomorph. XD

I think DNH is saying a golden would have a hell of a time catching one.

Edited by JOTB

I haz a mix, hes 17 year old and almost deaf :| he have had several problems now and me and my brother thinks it's about time for letting him go, but my mom dont wan't to.. Even if he almost can't walk down and up the stairs and have had cancer and stuff

Has anyone here read Marley [and Me]? It's great for dog lovers, but it's sad sad.gif

This is what I believe and 'calling bulls***t' is not a very nice way to respond.

I agree with Tiki on this. It is unfair of you to claim that all purebreds are worse than mutts. And I find it worse that you criticize dog breeders in such a way.

There are plenty of responsible purebred breeders out in the world today that know about the health risks of incest and avoid it. Secondly there are plenty of purebred dogs out there that never show any signs of the genetic health afflictions associated with their breed and thus live to old healthy ages. The reverse can be said about crossbreeds as well. Thirdly, choosing a mutt over a purebred has the same number of benefits as getting the latter.

A purebred is more predictable as to the physical appearance of the dog and you can expect it to be prone to a certain temperament and know what things to look for as far as normal behaviour and health.

Breeding mutts is the same as rolling a die. Although there's more genetic diversity, you never know how the dog will end up.

All in all, a dog is a dog.

Saying that breeders care nothing about their animals also isn't very nice, as it happens. But you did it anyway.

*You* were the one that started to fling accusations about here.

*You* were the one that made generalisations about *all* breeders.

I can tell you that you are flat out *wrong* because I *am* a breeder and *I* don't behave like that.

If you are not trying to start an argument then don't go throwing out cr@p like that which is going to be *hideously* offensive to any breeder that reads it. Covering it up by claiming that it's "your opinion" no more makes it *right* than it would be if you came in here claiming that all homosexuals are paedophiles. Opinion is not inviolate. Opinion is also not FACT.

I am quite in my right to call bullsh!t when the stuff you are saying is flat out *wrong*, and offensive while you're at it.

Or should I just sit back and let you spread complete and utter lies about every single pedigree breeder out there?

I wouldn't argue if you'd said there are *some* people out there that breed badly, while aknowledging that there are also plenty of breeders out there that work damned hard for the health and wellbeing of the breeds they love. Every reputable breeder will admit that bad breeding practise exists, and that it is a problem.

I know there are problems in the pedigree world. The Forum I was helping to run was set up specificaly to help adress those problems, and also to see that a lot of the more serious ones that the dog world has develpoed by breeding for type don't enter the cat fancy. I don't put *that* kind of work into something (and trust me - it's a lot of work) for someone like you to come barreling along and try claiming that there is no such thing as a responsible breeder.

You want to discuss the issues - fine. I'm quite happy to have a discussion, and also quite happy to point out the ways we have been working to improve the genetic helth of various breeds. You want to come here spitting bile about an entire group of people you have likely never met, to wave your predjudice around while telling me I can't argue against it, and to say that 'purebreeding' is horrible and cruel.... No, sorry, not going to buy it.

I can *prove* that there are good responsible breeders out there.

I can *prove* that work is being done to improve the genetic health of breeds.

I can *prove* that a large number of pedigree animals are perfectly health, and perfectly happy.

You are claiming that *all* breeders are irresponsible ones. I put the lie to that claim merely be existing - as do the many other responsible breeders I know.

You object to me calling bullsh!t? Tough luck. You were doing your damndest to insult and smear *me*, as a responsible breeder. I'm not going to take the lying down.

I dun like arguments. :/ *passes brownies around*

Food for thought: So, why are dogs man's best friends?

I can *prove* that there are good responsible breeders out there.

I can *prove* that work is being done to improve the genetic health of breeds.

I can *prove* that a large number of pedigree animals are perfectly health, and perfectly happy.

You are claiming that *all* breeders are irresponsible ones. I put the lie to that claim merely be existing - as do the many other responsible breeders I know.

You object to me calling bullsh!t? Tough luck. You were doing your damndest to insult and smear *me*, as a responsible breeder. I'm not going to take the lying down.

*Applauds*

Off topic, what kind of dogs do you breed?

*Applauds*

Off topic, what kind of dogs do you breed?

It's cats, as it happens (See the 'siamese' link in my sig? That's the family line. I'm also on the comittee of the Seal Point Siamese Cta Club), but the comments being made were offensive to any breeder of any species, and I couldn't let them pass. The 'rouges gallery' is actualy some of the pictures of the pet animals we've bred and homed. 'Gus' belongs to our vet. Visits to the vet are actualy quite funny - it's 5 mins for the vaccination and then 15 mins while he tells us how well Gus is doing!