I'm a dog and cat person. :3 I have a Pembroke Welsh corgi named Stella, and she's insane but lovable. She also tap dances for me. laugh.gif

i love all animals!!! except birds even tho they're in there own group like reptiles. but i likes reptiles... and i also have a pembroke welsh corgi ^^ his name's tator tot and he's always up at my house and never goes anywhere but he's the nicest dog ever ^^

It's cats, as it happens (See the 'siamese' link in my sig? That's the family line. I'm also on the comittee of the Seal Point Siamese Cta Club), but the comments being made were offensive to any breeder of any species, and I couldn't let them pass. The 'rouges gallery' is actualy some of the pictures of the pet animals we've bred and homed. 'Gus' belongs to our vet. Visits to the vet are actualy quite funny - it's 5 mins for the vaccination and then 15 mins while he tells us how well Gus is doing!

That's so cool! =3

*Applauds at Tinkindi*

THANK YOU!

I presume Tariss has seen the very biased show about Pedigree Dogs Exposed, right?

I always found it funny that this documentary only spoke of the few breeds that are being subjected to analysis by every single kennel club in Europe, due to the increasingly number of health problems in them.

Yet, they didn't speak of other dog breeds, like the Dobermann, the Boxer, the greyhound (one of the breeds with less genetic issues), etc, etc.

Also, cut and paste can do wonders to change a person's testimony completely.

I won't say there aren't bad practices in the world, but when they went around asking what was the most important thing in a dog, I can put my hand on fire that most of them answered things such as "health, temperament, etc", yet, in the aired show, only the polemic ones were the ones being shown.

I must admit, at first, I was infatuated by the documentary, but being a person who, while not breeding, has been inside this world for several years, I decided to go deeper and talk with a few breeders I know, and a few others I don't. Honestly, most breeders put great care in their dogs, and adore their animals, and the breed. Anyone inside the cynologic world would not be so close minded as to not appreciate that you can't base an opinion simply by a 45 minutes long show. There are over 100 registered breeds (not sure the exact number, depends on the club), and yet, you speak of the cavaliers, and syringomieglia.

I, personally, pretend to be a breeder in the future. Probably greyhound, or dobermann. And I also found myself offended by your words.

...I like dogs, sure. They're cute, lovable, fairly loyal... But I do think my grandmother has practically killed my like for dogs for the moment. She's the dog person of the house. We all could be starving to death, but heaven forbid her supercuteadorablelovablesweetsmart doggie not get his treats every ten minutes. =_= I know it's not the dog's fault, but I'm pretty much waiting for it to croak. But then I'd have to listen to her moan about 'o I r nevar gettin a dawg agin!'

If I ever get a dog of my own, though, I'll probably get a corgi. Their nubby little legs are so cute~

And someone shoot me if I ever turn into anything close to resembling my grandmother. Or one of those people that dress up the dogs and carry them around in purses. Guh. Dogs are not a fashion accessory, folks.

Edited by Vexx

If I ever get a dog of my own, though, I'll probably get a corgi. Their nubby little legs are so cute~

And someone shoot me if I ever turn into anything close to resembling my grandmother. Or one of those people that dress up the dogs and carry them around in purses. Guh. Dogs are not a fashion accessory, folks.

I'll shoot you if you shoot me...

Though some of the outfits are cute i don't really think the dogs like that...

Corgis are cute. =3

Ugh, my friend sent me a bunch of pictures of dogs dressed up in Halloween costumes. They did NOT look happy and most outfits seemed too tight. D:<

....so no one has an Akita? sad.gif Has anyone had one in the past?

Edited by Bramblyhuck

Eh, I've had dogs that enjoy being dressed up. We put coats on the dogs when they want to go romp in the show, because the snow is usually over their heads and they get too cold before they get tired. I've known others who put raincoats on their dogs to keep the drips to a minimum, or because their dogs won't potty in the rain. Our pup won't potty if she feels the drips or snow on her nose or back/butt, so we put a hooded coat on her and have her go under a tree. She looks silly, but it's better than accidents in the house.

I'd never put a dog in one of those silly dresses, but if the dog enjoys it or it's needed, why not?

I have a large coat, and a cotton sweater for my dog. He has no fat, his hair is too thin, and it can be quiet cold in here. Poor thing starts shivering as soon as early september.

....so no one has an Akita? sad.gif Has anyone had one in the past?

I don't have one but everyone who sees my Malamute/Shar Pei mix seems to think he's a solid black Akita.

As far as clothing, I'm guilty of absolutely LOVING to dress up my dogs. -grins- They don't mind and we always make sure it's not too tight.

I remember one time finding a jail outfit and sticking it on one of our most mischievous dogs :3 It was appropriate.

*Applauds at Tinkindi*

THANK YOU!

I presume Tariss has seen the very biased show about Pedigree Dogs Exposed, right?

I always found it funny that this documentary only spoke of the few breeds that are being subjected to analysis by every single kennel club in Europe, due to the increasingly number of health problems in them.

Yet, they didn't speak of other dog breeds, like the Dobermann, the Boxer, the greyhound (one of the breeds with less genetic issues), etc, etc.

Also, cut and paste can do wonders to change a person's testimony completely.

I won't say there aren't bad practices in the world, but when they went around asking what was the most important thing in a dog, I can put my hand on fire that most of them answered things such as "health, temperament, etc", yet, in the aired show, only the polemic ones were the ones being shown.

I must admit, at first, I was infatuated by the documentary, but being a person who, while not breeding, has been inside this world for several years, I decided to go deeper and talk with a few breeders I know, and a few others I don't. Honestly, most breeders put great care in their dogs, and adore their animals, and the breed. Anyone inside the cynologic world would not be so close minded as to not appreciate that you can't base an opinion simply by a 45 minutes long show. There are over 100 registered breeds (not sure the exact number, depends on the club), and yet, you speak of the cavaliers, and syringomieglia.

I, personally, pretend to be a breeder in the future. Probably greyhound, or dobermann. And I also found myself offended by your words.

The thing people tend not to see is that the KC actualy complained to OFCOM (the regulator) about that documentary. Had parts of the complaint upheld as well. You can make it look like almost anything is happening/being said with clever editing, which is exactly what happened. Letting someone with an agenda do the editing of the footage is always a bad idea.

But, even with several complaints upheld, the damage was done. And a lot of really good breeders have had a lot of trouble because people will believe anything they see on TV without trying to look further into it. Tariss being a case in point.

ok stupid question

What were those dogs names that (i think) are extremely rare and people started to re breed them and i believe i read somewhere that they were now able to be registered in the USA.

I have two dachshunds, and they're both purebred. One's even an ex-showdog. I don't think they have any genetic problems at all. Maddison seems a bit stupid, but that's probably due to her kennel upbringing and general lack of knowledge about the rest of the world.

Maddy is very dependent on my mother for attention, and gets upset if separated from her, in which case she comes to me. Rosie is less dependent, but still likes to be close. She doesn't have to be snuggled right up to anyone, but she likes to be able to see/hear people. Rosie often comes and sits under the chair in the computer room, or under tables etc.

I luff my doggies. Might try to find some pics of them, but, can't promise anything.

We have three adorible dogs. Our oldest dog is a Miniature Poodle named Beau and he is black and silver. Our second oldest dog is a Toy Poodle named Biscuit and he is all white. Our youngest dog is a pure American Bulldog named Alexa and she is white but the left side of her face is black along with the left ear.

The thing people tend not to see is that the KC actualy complained to OFCOM (the regulator) about that documentary. Had parts of the complaint upheld as well. You can make it look like almost anything is happening/being said with clever editing, which is exactly what happened. Letting someone with an agenda do the editing of the footage is always a bad idea.

But, even with several complaints upheld, the damage was done. And a lot of really good breeders have had a lot of trouble because people will believe anything they see on TV without trying to look further into it. Tariss being a case in point.

wub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gifwub.gif

I know breeders of several breeds. I'm dealing with one right now, actually, since I'm getting my own dog for show and work. I chose my breed based on my familiarity with the community and I researched my breeder, not only on the internet, but by asking questions about her dogs within the show and work community. If you don't want those breeding practices to continue, you research your breeder and avoid the ones who are known for doing things like linebreeding. You avoid supporting the breeds whose breeders are leaning in the wrong direction, or you work with breeders who are working against the trend.

There is a reason that lists of questions to ask breeders includes ones about health problems and the goals of the breeding program.

lola92 - A few breeds have been saved that way. Do you know anything else about them?

I just seen them under some news on yahoo a couple weeks ago.

They looked really pretty and i wanted to do some reading up on them but i forgot to bookmark the page.

It said what country they were original from but i can't remember it.

I know a bit about rare breeds. I am lucky to have, right now, a münsterländer with me. She's a 13 year old female, beautiful dog.

It's very hard to come across one of these, and I would have never seen one hadn't it been because my boyfriend's mom used to be a hunter, and used to have these breed. They are loving dogs, and it'd be great if they became better known.

I just seen them under some news on yahoo a couple weeks ago.

They looked really pretty and i wanted to do some reading up on them but i forgot to bookmark the page.

It said what country they were original from but i can't remember it.

Do you remember what they looked like? biggrin.gif Now I kind of want to know.

sadly no... for some reason they remind me of wolves just really different markings.. closer to a German Shepard or something

sadly no... for some reason they remind me of wolves just really different markings.. closer to a German Shepard or something

Huh, if it was super short, I would guess Swedish Valhund, but I don't think they're a breed in crisis. Must read more. (However, googling rare breeds has introduced me to a new spaniel to fall totally in love with...)

awww that is so cute

and no it was a good medium size dog... but i have been so stress i might have dreamt up the image... i'll keep poking around through.