darkangel787

The Ultimate Young Adult Reader Booklist

Website spam has been dealt with, there's no need to report it again.

I read voraciously, I'm especially fond of fantasy, and I've been reading a lot of YA lately - clearly, this topic was made for me.

Spirits That Walk in Shadow, by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. A college story involving a very unusual magical family and the non-magical girl who becomes involved with them. Technically, this is third in a series, but it stands well on its own. The other two aren't strictly YA and are long out of print, but still well worth tracking down. Still in print, as best I know.

A Fistful of Sky, by Nina Kiriki Hoffman. Not sold as YA, but probably counts (but whatever you do, don't read the sequel - trust me). A story about the one non-magical person in a family of magic-users, and what happens when her powers come into play. Sounds cliche, but the author puts her own spin on it. Still in print (as best I know), or readily available used.

Wren to the Rescue, Wren's Quest, Wren's War, by Sherwood Smith. Fans of Tamora Pierce should definitely check these out. They're out of print, but should be readily available used. A fourth book, Wren Journeymage, is currently being serialized at Book View Cafe and should be available as an e-book (no physical copy, alas) soon.

Ratha's Creature, Clan Ground, Ratha and Thistle-chaser, Ratha's Challenge, Ratha's Courage, by Clare Bell. A series about a group of intelligent cats (something like panthers) living in prehistoric times. May sound like a Warriors knock-off, but this came first (and does it better, in my opinion). Out of print, but should be readily available used.

Tomorrow's Sphinx, by Clare Bell. Science fiction about intelligent cheetahs - far more interesting than it sounds. Clare Bell has a definite knack for interesting feline characters. She also deals with some of the bits that get left out of certain other series about intelligent cats (especially in the previously mentioned series). Long out of print - try your library.

Young Wizards series, by Diane Duane (up to nine books - not listing them all). Seriously, nobody suggested this yet? This fuses fantasy with a fair amount of science fiction. Not sure I could do this justice with a summary, so I'm not providing one. Usually not shelved as YA, but in the children's section instead, but I think it counts. 20+ years, and still going (the latest just came out this year). All books still in print.

ETA:

Firebringer Trilogy, by Meredith Ann Pierce. This is a series about unicorns that manages (for the most part) to be neither cutesy or overly precious. I find this one hasn't aged as well for me as some of the above titles have, but it's definitely worth taking a look at. Got reprinted recently as an omnibus, so should be readily available used if it's no longer in print.

The Changeling Sea, by Patricia McKillip. Short, magical, and worth reading - the story of a seaside town and a sea dragon, and much more. Have also heard good things about Forgotten Beasts of Eld, but haven't re-read that lately. Both should still be in print or readily available used.

Edited by Mathcat

.....well I've read them and I think they're alright...but thats just my opinion...jeezus, since this thread is'nt about Eragon altogethere and i ahve no intention of having Z coming here and yelling at us for going off topic, maybe I"ll go off and make another thread for Eragon and we can discuss this.

And also you can't remove books unless the majority rules it so. I'm very sorry.

Shouldn't we put it to a vote? You can't get majority rules from the petitioner and the thread keeper alone.

Shouldn't we put it to a vote? You can't get majority rules from the petitioner and the thread keeper alone.

Agreed.

And my vote goes towards Eragon being removed from the list- it's riddled with plot holes, the characters are sociopaths at best, and there's just no story. It's a waste of trees dry.gif

While we're debating books, I'd suggest that #74 (Andrej Sapkowski) is more R-rated than YA, and might not belong on the list. Carol Berg might not belong either, but I haven't read these two so I can't say for sure.

Here's the next (rather lengthy) installment. I know the commentary doesn't appear in the list, but most of these are obscure enough that I figured a little extra information wouldn't hurt.

A Posse of Princesses, by Sherwood Smith. Set in the same universe as the Wren quartet. In print, but only through Norilana Press (but check your library).

A Stranger to Command, by Sherwood Smith. Prequel to Crown Duel from the viewpoint of that book's male lead. In print, but only through Norilana Press.

CJ's Notebook series, by Sherwood Smith. Part of the Crown Duel world. I found this almost more juvenile than YA, but tastes vary. In print, but only through Norilana Press.

Hollow Kingdom trilogy, by Clare B. Dunkle. Rather dark fantasy (especially the first) with goblins. The recorded version is well worth tracking down - great reader. Probably still in print, or readily available used.

Owl in Love, The Woman in the Wall, by Patrice Kindl (no, that's not a typo). Probably more juvenile than YA. Books unrelated, except for both being odd but very readable. The first is about a girl who can shapeshift into an owl; the second about a girl so shy as to disappear. Print status unknown.

Attolia series, Megan Whalen Turner. Semi-historical fantasy. Humor, clever dialogue, and great plot twists. My summary does not do these books justice. Recorded version of The Thief is definitely worth a listen. Series in print, fourth book just came out.

Bartimaeus trilogy, by Jonathan Stroud. Humorous fantasy with djinni, imps, and the like. Tone is somewhat in the style of Pratchett. Series in print.

Heroes of the Valley, by Jonathan Stroud. Norse fantasy - interesting take on heroes and legends. Standalone novel. Book in print, to the best of my knowledge.

Shifters series, by Kate Thompson. Another take on shapeshifters. Some definitely dodgy biology, but very fun. Print status unknown - probably out of print.

The Magic and the Healing, by Nick O'Donohoe. A vet student gets some very unusual hands-on experience. Two sequels, not as good - there's a reason why Firebird Books only reprinted the first. If not in print, should be readily available used.

Hidden Country trilogy, by Pamela Dean. Children find out their fantasy game is very real indeed. Sounds cliche, but the author set out to write a series with all the depth and richness she found her childhood favorites lacking when she re-read them. If not in print, should be readily available used.

Colors in the Dreamweaver's Loom, Feast of the Trickster, by Beth Hilgartner. Yet another take on the "girl from our world ends up in fantasy world" trope, but quite well done. Second book is different enough to practically stand on its own, despite having many of the same characters. Series out of print for years - try your library.

Yurt series, by C. Dale Brittain. Humorous fantasy series with surprising depth. Don't be turned off by cover of first book - Baen is notorious for really bad covers. Series mostly out of print, but should be readily available used.

Fairies of Dreamdark, by Laini Taylor. Yes, it's got fairies. No, it's not saccharine (much - tastes vary). Very lyrical - worth tracking down the recorded version. Series in print.

The Shining Falcon, by Josepha Sherman. A retelling/fusion of several Russian folktales. Out of print, but probably available used.

Not really a book, but I'd suggest almost anything put out by Firebird Books - their mission is to reprint YA fantasy and science fiction favorites.

...When having a conversation with me, never ask me about cats or books - I can talk for hours.

Growing Wings by Laurel Winter

The Giver by Lois Lowry

The Host by Stephanie Meyer

Kerosene by Chris Wooding

Something being R-rated (although I haven't read #74) is completely different from something being of bad quality (ex, Eragon). If a book has certain kinds of explicit material, it isn't "YA" at all, while books with the latter problem still are YA fantasy.

I'd vote to keep Eragon on, anyway. It might be a fascinating book for someone who doesn't read much.

---

List additions?

The Books of Abarat, Clive Barker (series starting with Abarat)

Amber, Roger Zelazny (series starting with Nine Princes in Amber)

Earthsea, Ursula Le Guin (series starting with A Wizard of Earthsea)

The Ropemaker, Peter Dickinson

I'm still not sure whether mild sex/abuse or certain themes are acceptable, or whether what I call "mild" stuff is mild to other people :'P (/very hard to faze)

These are definitely YA.

thanks. If you see something that's R rated on there please let me know, and I'll check it out.

...I read a lot and I still think eragon's pretty good...maybe not the best on the shelf, but I still like it...maybe I should reread it. Jus tsaying because I read A LOT. I've read a lot of the books on the list.

Regarding #74, it has been a while since I read the book (and I have no real interest in re-reading it), and my idea of "inappropriate" is probably vastly different than that of other people (just in case you read the book and wonder what in the world I was talking about).

As for Eragon, I agree with kadoatie - why not leave it on? This isn't a list of the best YA fantasy ever; it's a list of YA fantasy books that at least one person has read and liked. Not everybody is going to like every book on the list, and someone who has read Eragon might go on to read other titles from the list.

I'm stopping by the library today, so watch out - there may be another really long post coming later on.

ahh! logn post soon! ohmy.gif

Thanks then.

yeah, Ithink I'll be leaving it on. It may not be the best series EVURR but It'll do. It entertained me and it's a New York Times Bestseller, so...

Sales has nothing to do with the quality of a book.

Although I do agree that it's probably best to leave it on.

...dammit...I have such weak arguments...you're right.

anyways, it's still best to leave it on because it's YA fantasy, and some think it's good.

sorry for double post but I wanted to let everyone know that we now have banners. More banners are needed (I really suck at making banners) but thats just one to start you out.

There was one book that was pretty good, but I've only read it once. The Candy Shop Wars.

*slaps Qwackie for stalking me again*

Too Many Curses by A. Lee Martinez is my favorite book.

Curses, someone beat me to Silverwing!

Graceling by Kristen Cashore

Fire by Kristen Cashore

The Study Trilogy by Maria V. Snyder

The Glass Trilogy (only books 1 & 2 out) by Maria V. Snyder

Frog Princess Series by E. D. Baker

Wings by E. D. Baker

The Demon King by Cinda Williams Chima

The Lies of Locke Lamora by Scott Lynch

I cant believe no one mentioned:

The Heir Trilogy by Cinda Williams Chima

I'll probably add more tomorrow.

Edited by Kanaye

... The entire Silverwing series made me cry.

>_>

I made a banner... I hope its not too big

user posted image

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=98066&st=0][IMG=http://i27.tinypic.com/axr1z.gif][/URL]

Smaller one

user posted image

[URL=http://forums.dragcave.net/index.php?showtopic=98066&st=0][IMG=http://i27.tinypic.com/8x3684.gif][/URL]

I hope you like it!

Additions:

Kitty and the Midnight Hour + sequels by Carrie Vaughn

Soulless by Gail Carriger

Sevenwaters Trilogy by Juliet Marillier

Go Ask Malice (Buffy the Vampire Slayer-based book) by Robert Joseph Levy

Silver Phoenix by Cindy Pon

There are some books on the list that are not fantasy, they are realistic fiction. I noticed the following:

Cut by Patricia McCormick

To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Willow by Julia Hoban

Wintergirls by Laurie Halse Anderson

Crank by Ellen Hopkins

North of Beautiful by Justina Chen Headly

I agree with folks who said it would be cool to divide the list somehow so it doesn't form a wall of text and to give readers a chance to get a vague idea of what the book is about.

Just wanted to clarify that The Lies of Locke Lamora, as posted by Kanaye, is book one of the intended 7-long Gentlemen B*censorkip.gif*s (:S I can't even post the name) series.

Edited by kadoatie