Ninetails

What are you allergic to?

Penicillin and Tylenol, (These are the bad allergy ones)  but when I was RX'ed with M.S. they did a full screen? And I am allergic to: animal dander, feathers, tree, corn, dust, and several other things but milder and I live in the smack dab middle of the woods, have a slew of cats, birds, sleep on a feather pillow and a bad addiction to Dr. Pepper~ doc just shakes his head at me. :wub:

Penicillin and Bactrim and dioxycyclene and Levoquin and dust mites and 6 different types of mold and red oak . . . oh and we're pretty sure I'm allergic to some variation of iodine, but not iodine itself.  

Edited by tiny_gremlin

(Mods please slap me if this is necromancy)

I have some sort of pollen, mold, and dust allergies like, I think, most people. The weirder ones though are to Dayquil/Nyquil and their generics, grapefruit, and pork somehow. I'm also allergic to dairy milk, but not to a lot of the products made from it: I will get sick as a dog if I drink milk or eat something made using a lot of it, but I can go down on entire bricks of cheese and be fine.

Little update since my last post: a bad case of sinusitis last year gave me some brand-new ragweed allergies. Also, I found out I'm allergic to Robitussin - woke up in the middle of the night completely demented and feeling like my whole body was on fire, and literally collapsed on the floor of my carport to cool off while calling 911 because I was convinced I was dying. If I ever needed the incentive to avoid meth like the plague, I have it now.

Did I mention I start Wellbutrin tomorrow? HahaHA. 😩

I am allergic to one thing that I know of, and one thing ONLY.

Dioxycycline. (I may be wrong about the actual name, memory may be deceiving me.) And curiously, only if it is taken intravenously, NOT orally. It causes a sharp, shooting, brilliant pain when inject into the vein. My stomach, rock that it is, can take it no problem.

I discovered this curious preference when I was hospitalized in 2016 for a hemorrhagic ovarian cyst. It hospitalized me for 5 days, with a 103 degree fever and needed morphine for the pain. I've grown up in the country, with pets of all kinds, from birds, cats, dogs, to horses and goats. I've run through fields of ragweed and milkweed and dogwood with no problem. Only this thing, one alone, am I allergic to.

Bee, wasp, and yellow jacket stings.  Lots of mold, mildew, and cat hair.  More than I can list, but, haha, I have 2 cats.  I take Zyrtec to deal with the cats.  

I'm allergic to sulfa based medications, smoke, weed, pineapple, mango, and pig-products. I'm also intolerant to dairy-products, a lot of different spices, and basically life in general lol

Poison oak, poison ivy & poison sumac - One time hubby & I went up to his family place not realizing that his sister & hubby had been there the previous weekend. They trimmed the ligustrum hedge & burned the cuttings. The smoke got into the bedroom & settled on the sheets (which they didn't change). I woke up COVERED with a severe reaction to the poison ivy oils that were on the sheets from the smoke. We make a trip to the ER & then back home to see my dr - took 2-3 weeks to for the rash & itching to go away.

Morphine. It's more like an acute neuropathy than an allergy, but doctors/nurses will just assume I'm a druggie if I say "Morphine does nothing but make me shake violently, please give me literally any other painkiller or none at all". 🙄 It made my chronic kidney stones in highschool absolutely terrible.

My allergy and/or intolerence is a mystery. I cant go to the beach or I will get a very painful hives. At home I break into hives even when I havent done anything. I ate sardines and broke into hives, I felt like I couldnt breath and it was painful to get up. My family think its the salt but I can eat salt just fine. I asked a doctor about it but they said it could be enviroment changes. Oh when I come out of the cold and into heat, hives and I will be sore. I cant get scratched by items or else I will hive up. If I get bitten by a bug I get hives and swelling.

Normally when I do breakout into hives it forms within my arms, chest, neck, and face. If I scratch it will spread further but doesnt spread too much. I used to be someone who usually dont have allergies or intolerence to anything but it formed after I got older. I take benadryl for it but after I fall asleep and wake up I breakout after an hour but most of the times I dont. I do hope to find out what it is soon. It makes vacations tricky for me to enjoy since I love the beach and pools as well as hotels. But hives at beaches is so painful its scary 

I don't know if it counts or if it's normal, but I'm allergic to lice! Once when I was in 2nd grade I got a ton of lice in my hair as I have pretty long hair, making a perfect home for the little buggers. It was night when I realized, and my parents had to rush to the store to get lice shampoo lol. After they were all removed, I had a huge rash breakout all over my arms that itched a ton. 

As far as I know I'm not allergic to anything. However, I do have a skin allergy that flairs up if I've washed my hands "too many times" in a short period. So, you could say I'm somewhat allergic to soap? I've yet to find a soap that does not ultimately effect my hands after prolonged/very frequent usage. -_-

@LadyLoki Sounds like barrier irritation to me, not an allergy. The soap strips the lipids that hang out in your skin barrier and keep water in, and if the barrier is weakened or breached, it'll get inflamed because your immune system is freaking out and trying to keep any germs from coming in. If it's getting painful, I'd recommend a thick hand lotion with ceramides-- CeraVe and Cetaphil are good, and there are some hippie brands out there that sell soap without sulfates and other common irritants. Putting Vaseline on your hands overnight is the nuclear option but it works amazingly.

I'm severely allergic to cats and dogs, which is a problem when both of your closest friends are animal lovers and are normally just covered in pet hair/dander/saliva. I have moderate/severe eczema, so I get a rash that erupts all over my arms and legs, not the usual sneezing and itchy eyes. It can get quite painful and the rash will last for days, so my friends have to make sure to shower thoroughly and make sure their clothes are as fresh as possible before they can get within 20 feet of me. I don't really like being so sensitive since I know my friends do a lot for me, but it makes me happy that they care about me enough that they take the effort to make sure I don't have a flareup.

I'm also allergic to... myself. Researchers recently figured out that eczema is, in fact, an autoimmune disorder, so my stupid T-cells are just out here damaging my perfectly good skin cells because they think they saw a germ once maybe.

Pineapples (seriously), seafood (i can eat seaweed and things like crocodile though) (don't ask why i know i can eat crocodile) Uhhh some kinds of food colouring and dust. Also like lots of antibiotics and some other medicines. Also myself, same as @soullessheartofsteel :( eczema

lmao im allergic to a whole bunch of random stuff

popcat

Edited by SomeRandomCorviknight

I'm allergic to cats and dust!

(My cat allergy is severe and I love cats so I wish it would go away already ;w;)

On 2/28/2021 at 9:30 PM, JazzoJuice said:

I'm allergic to cats and dust!

(My cat allergy is severe and I love cats so I wish it would go away already ;w;)

Ditto. ;u;

However, I am also allergic to 2 more things.

I like guessing games, so I want to open it up to others to let you all guess.

1 hint for each of the 2 allergies:

1. This allergy makes the holidays all the more stressful/difficult. Pollen/plant based allergy.

2. The next allergy prevents me from enjoying sushi, and everyone's favorite celebrity breakfast. 

Food based allergy.

You have to guess the exact item I'm allergic to (since I provided food based, and pollen based.) 

Whoever guesses it right gets a follow from me :3

And let the guessing commence o:

Have fun :3

1 hour ago, ladyangeliki said:

Ditto. ;u;

1. This allergy makes the holidays all the more stressful/difficult. Pollen/plant based allergy.

2. The next allergy prevents me from enjoying sushi, and everyone's favorite celebrity breakfast. 

Food based allergy.

You have to guess the exact item I'm allergic to (since I provided food based, and pollen based.) 

Do you have asthma? I mean I have asthma and I'm allergic to pollen, dust, fur. But I developed some resistance to fur, especially with cats, dog fur is not a problem to me anymore but cat fur... "I'm working on it", anyway I guess maybe you have asthma?

And I think I'm allergic to apples, I like apples but everytime I eat apples I get this slight itch on my palate >.<

I am sad to hear about your asthma, but my allergies are not as severe. I only get mildly itchy, sneezing, and maybe a sore throat if I somehow inhale the dog/cat fur, pollen or eat said food.

But its only those specific items, otherwise I am fine. 

On 3/1/2021 at 7:25 PM, ladyangeliki said:

Ditto. ;u;

Food based allergy.

Pine trees and avocado? 

Yep, you got it! ❤️

I'm allergic to pine trees and avocados. 

Pine trees- I cannot go near a *real* pine tree, I think because of it's pollen. Pinecone are fine, the smell of pine is fine. But going outside Christmas tree shopping, or similarly out into a pine tree forest or even a fir tree forest will have me sneezing, getting watery and itchy eyes, and a huge headache/silght fever. Its a mild reaction but has always stopped my family from ever having a real Christmas tree.

Avocados- I wasn't always allergic to avocados. Actually I use to be allergic to aloe, the catcus plant that has healing properties in its inner membrane/gel. But after the age of... I would say 24 (a year ago) I discovered I could touch aloe just fine. My mom had bought popcorn made in avocado oil that day and when I ate it, I got an instant allergic skin reaction on my lips. I got mildly itchy, but thankfully my throat did not swell up. So, another mild reaction.

I'm going to include the two I mentioned previously, just for a full overview of my allergies in one post.

Cats Silvia - Now this one is odd. I can pet a cat, be near a cat, I've tested this time and time again to be absolutely certain too. It all started when I was 16, I had a good friend who owned cats. And I never had any issue with them, not any at all. I could pet them, play with them... it was around the age of 18 that i met another friend who had food bowls for their cats in their kitchen. I started sneezing, eyes watery, mild headaches and itchy eyes. (Same symptoms as pine trees.) I didn't know why at first so I joked and said it must be the allergy season for pollen (which it was) or maybe there was too much dust. But when it became a constant problem everytime I visited, we started getting worried. It took allot of trial and error, and I was stressed so I sat down with the cat and petted cat. It decided to lick me... and I immediately sneezed and started tearing up. That is when we made the connection. I walked to their food bowls (where cats tend to leave some trace of siliva) and I sneezed non-stop. That is how we confirmed it, but of course I tested this with at least 3 other cats just to be sure.

Dust- Not as unusual. Figuring it out wasn't difficult either, as my parents both have dust allergies. So it could be genetic. Discovered this one the first time we had to dust and I wasn't outside. Man did I sneeze something fierce. Almost felt like my brain would be sneezed right out, of my allergies the sneezing reaction for this one is by far the most painful and intense. 

-;Bonus;-

Mint- Yep! I am allergic to mint. It is the most annoying allergy, because I cannot use certain toothpastes or my tongue has a mild puffing up reaction. Not severe to the point of not breathing, thankfully. Just mild puffing up, long as I remove the mint from any contact surface on me, I recover within 24 hours. This includes gum that is mint flavored, mint flavored toothpaste, mint in peppermint candy canes (yep, holidays ruined further!), mint extract being added into anything like cake, cookies, candy, even chocolate or brownies. My reactions for this one have always depended on where it came in contact with me. I can touch it just fine so mint shampoo is okay, and smelling mint is fine too. (Least I can enjoy the smell of candy canes.) But once I try to eat it, its only the side of my mouth that touched it that get swollen up, puffy tongue, and sometimes itchy. I guess severity depends on the amount of mint here. The way we discovered this, because again I wasn't always allergic, was around 16. I had gone to my aunts and wanted a candy cane, you know Christmas and enjoying the holidays. Only to feel my tongue puff up, panic and run to my mom. She took the candy cane away, and gave me benadryl. :)

What a fun Christmas.

Most of these have been out grown by now. Every 7 years our bodies change, like how I used to be allergic to aloe, pine trees and mint. I've found this past Christmas, when we went to a store and it unexpectedly had pine trees everywhere and I did not have a reaction as strong as I usually would. Just a small sneeze because the smell of pine was strong, but I do that for any scent that is strong because my senses can easily get over flowed/over stimulated. 

Aloe was found out in the midst of an emergency, I needed to remedy a sunburn. A sunburn so intense it hurt to touch, all over my ears and shoulders and back and neck. So, in the panic, mom threw aloe on me because nothing else was helping. Usually we'd have a skin reaction to deal with too, but... that time we didn't. My mom remembered after putting it on me and yelled "Oh s... are you alright?!" Me "yea I am alright why?" "I just put aloe on you..." me "YOU DID WHAT?!" "Yea but.. you're not having a reaction?"

I took the bottle, and smeared it onto my arm with the aloe gel. I was fine. My only idea is every 7 years, all our cells change and are basically brand new, so there is a chance to outgrow allergies. *shrug*

Mint was a trick scare. I thought my friend had chewing gum that was fruit flavored, they thought so too. (They didn't have the package that tells you the flavor, so it was just wrapped in silver.) So I took a piece and plopped into my mouth without thinking. Realizing it is mint, I took it out. Just contact with mint was enough to cause the mild reaction, so I stared at the gum in my hand; then at my friend. He stared at me. "Are you okay?" "Yea uh, I was allergic to mint..." "Was..?" "Well I'm not feeling a reaction.. tell me if my tongue looks weird..." "Okay..?" I showed him my tongue, he said it looks fine. So... I chewed the gum once, took it out again to see if another reaction might happen? Never did. I was no longer allergic. I could enjoy mint again.

All these happened at 21. My body has changed cells 3 times in my lifetime, and I pray and hope I am no longer allergic to cats and avocados by 28. 

I've accepted the dust allergy as inevitable. :)

These are all self analysis, I never wanted to go to the doctor to figure these out with needles or for an explanation on why I grew them out. I'd rather just be thankful I outgrew it.

I’m allergic to mint, it burns my mouth and lasts a while, it’s not nice brushing my teeth with mint either.

Recently discovered a lemon allergy! Feels like my mouth is being stung by fire ants and my throat starts to get itchy. My eyes usually water as well and my nose will run. Tongue swelling and general annoyances with my mouth/lips puffing too. Raw lemons only though--cooked lemon is fine.

No other acidic food does any of that (except oranges, but it's not as noticeable of a reaction... fortunately I hate orange juice) so I have determined it is some sort of citrus allergy.