Hawaiianbabidoll

Hunger Games

I have a theory that the second book in a series will never be as good as the first one because the author used all his/her ideas on the first one. But usually it gets better again with #3. I think Catching Fire was better than Mockingjay.

I have a theory that the second book in a series will never be as good as the first one because the author used all his/her ideas on the first one. But usually it gets better again with #3. I think Catching Fire was better than Mockingjay.

I agree 100%

Not necessarily, as the plot sometimes gets more worked up in the second book, thus making it better.

Agreed with the Catching Fire being better than Mockingjay.

Well, considering I read all three in about two days, I can't say I didn't enjoy them tongue.gif it's not that they don't have their problems. They do, and a lot of them. They're pretty violent and traumatic for what I feel is essentialy a children's book, and the style of writing seemed to me like it was written to be made into a movie in the first place. Also, I didn't like the ending, it felt too "Hollywood" to me.

Having said that, it was one of the most original books I've read in a while. She created an amazing and incredibly detailed world that drew you in and kept you thinking about it long after you finished. She created likable characters, but most of all I liked that her main character was so flawed - in fact, I'm pretty sure Katniss was a sociopath, at least that's the way I understood it. I liked that the story had a message, without being too "in your face" about it. It was a very manipulative series, but I didn't mind biggrin.gif

All in all, great books. I'll probably reread them soon.

Also: team Peeta all the way!

What was the message?

Well, I guess everyone can understand it differently. But to me, it read as a message of a fight for freedom, for doing what's right and not just what's easy, of being part of something bigger than you and keeping your humanity in situations when it's very hard to. And that sometimes, people break in those situations. Not everyone does what's right, and it doesn't make them bad people always. Of course, it's hardly unique to this trilogy. It an undercurrent theme in a lot of stories.

Edited by FishPanda

love love love the trilogy so awsome and now its going to be a movie yay so so so exited and i dont usaly type like this but i am cuz im so exited about it i read them all reasently too i love katniss i love prim i love gale i hate pres snow i love hamish i love finnick he rule oh quote from finnick " what do you find this ... destracting" lol

Has anyone read any other books by Suzanne Collins? I was curious if any of her other titles were any good. :3

They're definitely worth reading, and are quite possibly better.

They're definitely worth reading, and are quite possibly better.

What other books has she wrote? I haven't looked in to any, but I definitely loved the Hunger games!

What other books has she wrote? I haven't looked in to any, but I definitely loved the Hunger games!

Just one series. I forget the proper title for the series, but essentially it's about a kid named Gregor who ends up in an underground world. Like the Hunger Games, though, it's pretty dark and I'd say it actually ends less happy (there are less character deaths, but overall there are no good points to the ending so it's technically worse).

the series is definitely (with an I, not an A) worth reading, but I found that it got slightly boring later on when the characters do nothing but sit around because the author has no good ideas but then it got better smile.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed the books, but they had a profound effect on me. Not quite depression, but it wasn't altogether good either. I think the message is one of where our society is headed, not just with war (nuclear destruction/rebuild), but with blood sports and reality TV. It makes you think back to the Colosseum and such, combined with our society's lust for more more more television shows watching other people's horrible lives so we can feel better about ours. She also does a great job of showing that sometimes in war, neither side is completely "good," and war rarely, if ever, leaves a happy ending for anyone.

Oh, and I was pissed that she ended up with Peeta. Just sayin.

The first book was great. It was fresh, original, action-packed, and had some great descriptions of the Games.

The second book... was pretty much the same thing, plot-wise ('cept for conspiracies, yay -_-). It took away the originality, and was overall more boring. Especially with the romance.

I didn't bother reading the third book, as I was told that it was even more of a disappointment.

Overall, I'd have been way more happy if she had just written the first book, and ended the series there.

Gale all the way, though ^^

Edited by SPQR

I absolutely loved this trilogy. A friend of mine, and former librarian, told me they were a must read. I thought they sounded terrible in description. (I still think they do) lol. However I ended up buying all three on my Kindle and finishing them in less than a week.

I finished all three of the books in about a weeks span (I had a few days to wait to aquire each book so i more or less finished each book in a day each).

I apsolutly loved all three.

The twists, the turns, just the way it was written made me love it. There are so stupid flaws in it but it didn't deture me at all.

I found that even though in real life i would have fallen for Gale i found my self LOVING peeta. Everything about these characters seemed realistic and lovable.

I even found my self crying at certain points to ><

Im so use to the same books by different authors over and over again. This was a nice break away.

I love the hunger games. I actually found this site because of someone on an hg forum.<3

im really excited about the movie thats coming out next year. biggrin.gif loved the books, and im re-reading it for the third time to be fresh for the movie. X3

I love these books. wub.gif My favorite characters are Cinna, Thresh, Rue, Johanna, Finnick, Annie, Darius, Plutarch, Boggs, Mags, Portia, Venia, Octavia, etc... *always been particularly fond of minor characters* biggrin.gif I've re-read the books multiple times, most recently yesterday. I re-read it 1.25 times in six hours on a plane. xd.png The movies better be good! I trust the people working on it so far, though. :3 Everyone seems so enthusiastic and dedicated to the books, which is a major relief. biggrin.gif

i absolutely love the hunger games! i had the special edition first book and it had the cover tht changes between the main characters, i havn't read them in a while though. but they were one of the few series of books that i couldn't put down and i read for hours into the night.!

The first two books were pretty good, I enjoyed them, but everything fell apart in the final book. The funny part is, I didn't even like Katniss or Peeta, I was reading more to see what would happen to other characters. The ones I liked all died of course, that's pretty much par for the course for me. I was quite meh by the end and none of the deaths held any shock value to me so I was mostly annoyed with how pointless some of them were.