Dragon Song

On These Wings: The Remake

Rio set off after Matthew lept into the air on his coastal runner.

"Wooo!!"

They flew over the waters swiftly catching up to Matt. Even though it wasn't Ayos it was fun. She had floated and and even fallen but never had she actually flown. Ayos rolled his eyes as he followed Rio's coastal runner.

"You can be such a child sometimes."

Rio laughed at the telepathic message from her dragon before responding.

"Your just jealous because I'm not riding you."

In chess terms this would be along the lines of "Check and Mate" for Ayos as what she said hit the nail on the head. He was jealous of the coastal runner, he wanted to carry his rider that way he could actually keep an eye on her since she had this unbelievable tendency to be naive.

------------------------------------------

After a long walk Gelltor arrived at the treat shop and entered. He removed his hood and opened up his cloak since he could be open here with this man. Like the sandwich store just outside the castle he had helped this man get his shop and was trusted here. It was an investment into the future like so many other things and all that investment was slowly but surely beginning to pay off.

"Hey Gill's you might want to keep that hood up. The palace folk t'aint so poplar dees days. Oh almos' forget ta tank ya for gettin' meh outta da jail'ouse."

"I am a man of justice. Besides things in the palace aren't so great anyways. Looks like we may have a traitor in our midst."

"Dat so? Mebay dems da one 'ose settin' ya up."

"Oh? How so?"

"Well, da word on da street is dat 'yro's got people stealin' from the folk and framin' the NDK for et. Gots da proof for et too! 'eard et was all stored up 'n some roy-yal store 'ouse. When I 'ear dat 'ooo-oh, I got mad. I told 'em folk dat was sayin' et that it's one big cock an' bull story set up by dat Drac fellah to make et seem like yous da bad guys. I told 'em dat you yourself 'elp me tah git this 'ear store an' dat anyone 'oo 'elp out a fellah on da streets tah git whats they need for not'ing in return t'aint no thief I did. Still, dey din' listen tah me so yous best watch yourself out der. Now what can I git yeah Gills?"

Gills, the name that this deranged store owner was convinced belonged to Gelltor. Why this once he never could figure out but so long as he said it with the respect that he did it didn't matter so much. Gelltor picked up some Kettle corn to munch on during his walk to the docks and thanked Pete before leaving. It seemed that Gelltor had a soft spot for his street ears, but that was all it was, seeming.

Malice spoke his simple reply.

"Search was called off. That's all."

Without another word he left the pair and returned to his own stable for the nap.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Ryoka watched silently as the Coastal Runners that Matthew and Rio were on took flight before lifting a fresh saddle that had been brought to her on Revy's back. She wasn't about to place her life in the hands of a dragon unfamiliar to her even if they were great for traveling over the water. Once satisfied that all the straps were secure Ryoka pulled herself up on the dragon. "Let's go!"

Revy didn't have to be told twice the dragon expertly leaped into the air snapping her wings open and flapping them with a powerful downward thrust lifting the pair away from the ground. Once in the air Revy angled herself to join the others who had already taken flight. Ryoka felt bad for Matthew, he looked like he didn't really want to be in the air on the Coastal Runner.

+++++++

Garen had been awoken from his nap by the sound of Malice leaving the stables.

Malice has left the stables for some reason.

Upon receiving the message Katarina made her way over to the window just in time to catch sight of the gray going towards Katlyen's quarters. Gelltor was always scheming she knew that much, but the fact that Malice was going without Gelltor did not sit well. Katarina stayed near the window waiting for only a few minutes before Malice came walking back.

Garen keep an eye on Malice and let me know if he does anything out of the normal.

Katarina's cold calculated eyes remained on Malice for only a few seconds before she went back to the small table she was currently using for a desk to sign the letter she had written. She neatly folded the letter before stuffing it into the envelope and placed the wax seal. The letter was addressed to her sister Cassiopeia. Without a second thought she left her quarters, letter in hand, searching for a slave that she could trust to get the item to its proper place.

Drac smiled at the waverunner, and probed lightly into his mind. It was considered rude to enter another’s mind without permission, and a small poke was considered the standard greeting. Getting no response from the waverunner, Drac shrugged and decided to enjoy the ride.

It was a long, six-hour ride over unending ocean. It was a windy day so the waves were whipping up, causing the Coastals to skip about a lot. A main piece of interest was when several bizarre dragons who looked like a cross between Water dragons and Skywings rose to the surface and played about with the Coastal Waverunners, who regarded them with amused tolerance.

Two-Finned Bluna, Night informed him from a few feet behind, where he was playing with the smaller of the dragons, they result from a cross between a Skywing and a Water dragon or Deep Sea dragon, or any of the above and an existing Bluna. They’re not really that intelligent, a bit less so than dolphins. There’s only about 3 pods of ‘pedigree’ Bluna in the world, but it appears as if their base intelligence is rising at an almost ridiculous rate. Five decades and their development should reach a critical point, it would be interesting to see what happens. Try not to get us killed.

“You really are rather morbid for a creature no older than eight months. If you want to simply observe interesting things, why did you come with me? You knew of my plans almost from the moment you hatched. You agreed.” Drac pointed out as Night dipped a wing in the water and began flipping end over end, recovering quickly and looking around to see if anybody had seen him fall.

You’re interesting, and exciting. The whole of creation seems to revolve around you and your decisions. At some point, you’re going to do something stupid and the entire world will come crashing down on your head. I suppose I’m here to stop that from happening.

“Thanks for the vote of confidence. You’re such a calming, supportive presence.”

Sleet huffed and closed the stable doors with a flick of his tail. So the search had been called off. Part of him wondered if there had truly been a search or if it had been just a trick of Gelltor, a part of some plan. Looking down, he observed his rider for a moment. Katelyn was still sleeping and he did his best to keep it this way. Despite the fact she had seemed like a pathetic weakling, there had been a strong surge of her true self. The ice dragon had felt it through his bond with her, a self which had been withering ever since that tentacle had been attached. Though he would never admit it, Sleet was feeling slightly anxious about when his rider would wake up. Would her true self once again wither until it would shrivel and die? Or would they together be able to keep it from drowning? Shifting slightly, he folded a wing over her sleeping body, making sure the thick furs would keep her warm.

+++++++

Matthew clung tightly to the dragon, looking aside as Ryoka and Revy passed them. A stab of jealousy ran through him at seeing Ryoka riding her own dragon. It just felt wrong to him to ride a dragon and entrust his life to it which was not his own. A dragon he had no mental link with. Oh how he longed for the day Questra would be big and strong enough to carry him.

Gelltor at last arrived at the port and already was wrapped up in his cloak with hood up, he needed to have some words with his contact working here about subtlety. He looked around and finally found the man he was looking for. He stored over to the man and spoke to him.

"We need to talk about campaigns."

The man almost froze as he turned to the new arrival knowing exactly what the man meant. He nodded and was lead away by Gelltor.

"Do you know what they are saying? They are not saying it was the NDK. They say it is the King. Worse yet, some say they have proof. What might that be?"

The man shrugged.

"Where are you storing the items?"

"In a royal warehouse."

"In a what!?"

Gelltor yelled at the man. He couldn't believe this person's idiocy.

"I tell you to fence it and what do you do? You store it! No, not just store it but store it on royal property! You are to change that location....no keep sending stuff there but also add a public storehouse. This will give the impression that someone else is doing it and trying to frame the king, and make sure that the public one isn't used by anyone from the castle. Most importantly get rid of as much of it as possible. I don't care if you have to dump it in the ocean just make sure it is gone from Rythos forever! Get to work immediately."

Gelltor stomped out of the warehouse infuriated by the news. He couldn't let Kiara find out about this embarrassment, then it hit him he went back to the man who was closing the doors of the store house.

"I almost forgot, what news is there of Kiara?"

"Some say they saw moving through the city and stalking around the docks at night a while ago but that's all we have. Nothing particularly unusual."

"Thank you."

Gelltor left the man to start heading back to the castle.

"You seemed pissed there, you alright?"

"I will be fine, wait for my word to pick me up."

Once Gelltor was well enough away from the docks Malice took off from the stables and flew to pick up his rider.

---------------------------------

Rio was enjoying the sensation of flight far more then Matt was and tried to urge the coastal runner to go faster.

"So it's a race you want? I think I can take you."

Rio glanced over at Ayos who seemed eager for some fun and smiled. She shouted to her dragon.

"Ready go!"

The coastal sped off with Ayos chasing after it. Ayos used his magic to assist in his flying and keep up with the coastal runner. To Rio's surprise the Magi hatchling managed to get ahead by boosting his speed with a little wind magic. However it wasn't enough, with a little encouragement the coastal runner flew flat out top speed and took back the lead. They streaked past Matt and Drac in their race and began weaving between the Bluna.

Scroll name: Poketime

Dragon name: Aeroflynn Swindal (A.K.A Friends call her Flynna, others call her S. Aero)

Type of dragon(DC dragon): Skywing

Age(human years please): 25 yrs.

Apperence(scars, marks, ect.): Sort of a rainbowy gleam to her scales.

Personality: Often nice. But stern.

Bio(how did your dragon get to the land of gold): S. Aero fell asleep on a cloud, and woke up in the land of gold.

Job: Hunter/Huntress (Since she's a girl)

Position: Worker

Other: Will kill you if she needs/has too. Has a soft side and a devil side. DON'T GET HER NEAR POISONOUS FLOWERS. She will go on a rage and kill you. Hates the taste of citrus.

Password: DragonHearts

((I think you have the wrong thread Poketime.))

Ryoka couldn't help but laugh seeing Rio and Ayos racing, at least they were making the best out of the situation and having fun in the process. Matthew still seemed scared for his life, but she couldn't blame him. The pair weren't nearly as fast as the Coastal Waverunners, but Revy held her own and managed to stay with the majority of the group.

The Bluna seem quite happy to have some company.

You would be too if you lived out here.

++++++

Upon handing the letter off to a servant Katarina made her way to the stables where she caught sight of Malice leaving. She watched him for only a few seconds before making her way into the stables. Garen was already looking in her direction the moment she walked in waiting patiently. The young ember seemed oblivious to Katarina’s arrival as he continued sleeping. ”I hope you’re up for a quick flight” Garen simply nodded allowing Katarina to place the saddle on his back knowing full well that even if he wasn’t up for the task she’d still force him to do it as long as it didn’t get them killed. Once satisfied with the saddle Katarina walked ahead of the red waiting for him just outside the stables before mounting and urging him into the air.

So where are we going?

You’ll know when I want you to.

The comment annoyed Garen, but he didn’t dare let Katarina catch wind of it out of a slight fear of what she would potentially do.

Edited by talyhawk

Katelyn had slept through the whole night, curled up in furs against Sleet. When the first rays of the sun touched the sky, they fell right on her face, waking her up slowly. Feeling his rider awaken through their bond, Sleet woke up fully just before Katelyn opened her eyes. He shifted his tail slightly and lifted the wing he had folded protectively over her. A rumble rolled through his throat, to be compared to that of a waking kitten.

Good morning, Katelyn. How are you feeling?

Sleet. My mind feels... fuzzy.

Do you remember yesterday?

I don't know. How do you know if you have forgotten something or not?

Do you remember Maddox?

I... oh.

I take that as a yes. Do you remember the search Gelltor claimed?

Search?

For your family.

Sleet steeled himself for her reaction, but he didn't need to be afraid.

I... remember.

Upon your request he cancelled the search.

Good. I can only hope this never gets to Hyro's ears. I wonder what his purpose was.

I wonder if he spoke the truth, if there really was a search.

Katelyn stood up and brushed of some pieces of straw, sand and dust of her clothes.

I'll handle it.

You okay?

Turning her head to look straight at him, she noted the ice dragon had lifted his head slightly, his eyes level with face.

I'll keep control.

We have to talk about Maddox's words.

I know. I'm just... reluctant.

I leave it up to you. It's your... arm, it's your decision.

First Gelltor, then Maddox.

Sleet nodded and stretched his limbs, his back arching high. Lazily he padded to the stable doors and pushed them open with his snout, after which he walked outside.

Breakfast first.

Go get some grub. I'll let you know if and when I need you.

Got it.

Katelyn could not but grin slightly. Despite what they went through, Sleet could still get a smile on her face. Grabbing a spare set of clothes, she headed to the showers, where she freaked out a couple of servant women with the tentacle. Afterwards she went to inspect the troops and give them necessary orders for training. Then she ordered a slave to fetch Gelltor. Instead of letting him come to her quarters, she had asked the slave boy to let him come to the horse stables. While waiting for him to arrive, she gave two quarter horses a quick brush and put pad, saddle and bridle on both horses. Guiding them outside, she got onto the fox colored horse, while holding the reins of the dark brown one. Her idea was to get the man away from his normal surroundings, away from the castle. She knew she wouldn't be able to separate him from his dragon, but that was just a risk to be taken. In any case, she was sure that if he suddenly decided to turn against her, she would be able to take him. The tentacle would make sure of that. She'd prefer not having to do so, but if need be...

+++++++

Matthew grumbled and looked aside at Questra who seemed to be quite enjoying herself, despite carrying his bags. The horse dragon - or at this moment maybe rather foal dragon - was diving down to the water and swinging her way through the water based dragons playing there, only to make a sharp turn up and soar straight up in the sky. Rolling his eyes, he looked around him again. Because he had no bond with the dragon he was flying on, the whole trip was rather boring to him. He was sure that if he would do the same trip on Questra, it would be an exhilarating and interesting travel.

Gelltor was just on his way to Malice to feed the dragon when a servant intercepted him.

"Master Gelltor katelyn summons you to the horse stables."

"Fooooood!"

"Katelyn is summoning me. Go get it yourself."

Something of a telepathic growl was his reply. He made his way down to the stabels where he spotted Katelyn with a pair of horses. She was on one and the other was empty. He had no doubts about what the second horse was for. He walked over and mounted the second horse his shield and sward sheathed or on his back, he never left his room without them, too many people disliked him for that.

"Morning commander."

He said formally addressing Katelyn.

"So where too?"

He asked getting straight to the heart of the matter.

-----------------------------------------

Rio and Ayos had cut so far ahead of the group that they could see the mainland now. Rio tried to urge the coastal on faster but it kept slowing down. The dragon was tired and wasn't about to listen to her.

"Please, we need to win."

No response of course however it looked as if Ayos was getting worn down too.

"I can't wait to master that teleport spell. All this traveling stuff will be well behind me."

Edited by En'K'Haral

Katelyn watched him approach and inclined her head slightly in acknowledgment. She did not reply though and instead pushed her feet against the flanks of her horse, urging him directly into a trot. The moment they crossed the gates, she urged him into a light gallop, angling him in the direction of the forest. The tentacle was formed into a grey likeliness of a hand, allowing her to hold the reins with both 'hands'. Once they were well away from the perimeter of the grounds and out of sight of the castle, she made the horse fall back into an easy trot which she could sit out. They were not yet inside the forest, but skirted it, keeping to the fields around. The moment Gelltor's horse moved closer, she finally spoke.

"I wanted to speak to you about yesterday, Gelltor. And I preferred doing so away from the castle and it's prying ears." Slowing her horse to a walk, she let go of the reins with the tentacle, freeing it in case she would need it. Just by the fact it hung there, limply by her side, would be a reminder to the man not to try anything funny. Looking aside at him, she tried to asses him. A spy, but for whom?

"Listen Gelltor, I'll speak plainly. I need to know who you are, where your allegiance lies. These are difficult times and I can not use somebody I can not trust. And before you even think about it, I would not call for Malice to come. Besides the fact Sleet would outfly him and be here before him, you know very well that I don't need his help to... handle you." As if to prove her point, the tentacle shivered by her side.

"Truth is, Hyro has given me a freebie to basically do with you whatever I want. I have that option already for a while, but haven't used it yet as you can see. But he is of the opinion that I ought to submit you to my wishes and command, getting you to fully follow them without question. If I can't, I'm to eliminate you." The tentacle pulsated slightly, like an arm flexing its muscles. Guiding the horse along the fields, she made sure to keep enough distance from the treeline so nobody hiding in a tree would be able to listen to them.

"I have been waiting and trying to find out what kind of man you are. But time is running out and I must admit, you are too good a spy to show yourself. So I'm asking you straight out. Where is your allegiance?" Shifting her weight slightly, she stopped the horse, her eyes locked intently upon Gelltor's face. She could feel Sleet listening in with a keen kind of interest. They both knew she was not asking him to tell if he followed Hyro or the NDK, but would he catch on to the true question?

Katarina had returned late the previous night from an uneventful flight around town and the woods that bordered it. This morning was already proving to be eventful as she had received word from Garen that Gelltor and Katelyn were taking a ride on horses of all things. While that bit of information did intrigue her, she wasn't about to focus all of her attention on them for she had more important things to worry about.

After getting dressed and obtaining herself some breakfast Katarina made her way down to the stables stopping only for just a moment to pick up her dragons' breakfast. Smelling the meat Garen lifted and turned his head in her direction causing his rider to smile. It wasn't until she was at his stall that she saw Malphite crouched and ready to pounce on his meal. With a small chuckle she threw the pair their breakfast before heading back outside looking at the sky in the direction of where she was expecting her father and his mount to be arriving from.

He's arriving today isn't he.

It should be soon now, but what I wonder is what is so important that he decided to come in person.

It might just be that he was summoned by lord Hyro.

I'd be surprised if it was just that simple.

As if on cue lightning flashed across the sky from a small storm cloud the gray dragon that Boram Du Couteau road had created announcing his presence before landing. Flashing her best smile Katarina approached the pair as Boram dismounted. "It is good to see you again," she stated in a very respectful manor. Boram simply looked his daughter over before nodding in approval. "The feeling is mutual. Renekton come!"

Katarina watched silently as the pair disappeared into the stables. Neither of them had changed much Renekton had a few more scars on him , but otherwise looked like a normal gray. Her father was still the tall, broad shouldered man that she remembered him to be; the only real difference was that his black hair was just starting to show small signs of aging. The light armor he wore was practical in case he got into a fight, but still formal enough to where he wouldn't insult noble families. It even had their family crest stamped on the breast plate.

Edited by talyhawk

Gelltor let out the slightest chuckle, he could not deny that Sleet was the faster flyer.

"I could totally just fry him."

"Be quiet."

"I understand that well and while I am not supposed to question you I would like to point out that I have followed your orders to the letter thus far. I need to blend in and that doesn't work if I am disobeying orders now does it? Anyways on to the point you called me out. Let me think of how to put this well I have been trying to figure out your loyalty to Hyro myself. You see I need to know where you stand before I reveal everything to you. No I am not worried about telling you this much since you are too bright to not know something is going on. So how about it? Just were do you stand with Hyro? Is it true loyalty or is it simply following orders to protect your family?"

Gelltor grabbed hold of his sword and loosened his grip on his reins in case he needed to reach for his shield.

Okay, so that didn't exactly turn well.

Hunter turns into prey.

He's good, you've got to admit that.

Never said he wasn't.

Katelyn regarded Gelltor levelly, her expression not changing. This looked like a stalemate. A very difficult position for them both and the question was who would admit his true loyalties first? If she admitted she was in this without true loyalty but out of fear and Gelltor was a true follower, it would mean her neck in no time. But if she lied and told him her true loyalties lay with Hyro and his would not, he could just lie to her and work on any kind of rebellion behind her back. Which eventually would also cost her her neck. A strong stalemate indeed.

Suddenly her eyes flicked down to the tentacle, which seemed to pulsate slightly. A thought flitted through her, making her worry just what kind of connection this tentacle gave her to their feared leader. Was he able to read her thoughts? Would he know if she would admit out loud her true loyalties? Looking up again, she looked straight at Gelltor, a calculating look in her eyes. This wasn't even about her neck. The thing pretending to be an arm was prove enough Hyro had better ways to make a person suffer than kill them. Suddenly speaking up again, she spoke the one and only truth.

"My loyalties lie with the one holding my life." It was up to him to interpret it in the right way. If he was true to Hyro, he would hear her claim her full loyalty and life to their leader and she would be safe, she hoped. If he wasn't as loyal to Hyro as he pretended to be, he would hear the plain fact she followed the leader of the country because of the power he held over her and her family. It was the only and best answer she could think of.

Gelltor nodded understanding what she had said. He understood that it meant that she was just following his orders because of her family. He even let a slight smile crease his face as she noticed the gray mass hanging at her arm. More then anything he had been concerned about it since it was Hyro's making. It could well have been in it's own way a spy for Hyro and that was why he was dancing around all his answers.

"I am glad to hear that. Now I guess I owe you an equal answer. I am loyal to you Katelyn. You are a capable leader and have proven so many times despite past failures the fact remains that you know how to run this...place. At the very least you know how to organize on the fly, something I couldn't help but notice that Drac seems to lack I know it doesn't show well but I have noticed that the NDK mobilize without orders. It's too bad you have your own orders to follow isn't it?"

The hint was very subtle. It was intended to show a feint dislike for the current leader being Hyro and a disapproval for Drac's tactics. If she caught on he also hoped she could make the connection between his plans and how they relate to Drac and Hyro.

"What can that thing do just out of curiosity."

He asked motioning to the tentacle.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Katelyn didn't show anything, keeping her features perfectly under control. A short nod was all she gave in acknowledgement of his words. At his question, she lifted the thing and regarded in levelly.

"Despite the eerie feeling it gives me, I must admit that it is sometimes handier than a regular arm. It possesses a much greater strength than my regular arm, about ten times the strength basing on what I have been able to try out. It gives me the advantage of long range and can adapt to different forms. It is like having all possible weapons and defences to your call. It may sound strange, but after the initial shock I have come to realize the advantages."

She stopped, the tentacle shifting its form from plain tentacle to arm and hand, to sword, club, spear and back to an arm. There was something else she seemed to want to tell, but didn't. At that moment, Sleet suddenly communicated to Malice.

Tell your boss Katelyn is under the risk of being taken over by the thing. She fights it, but it is alive. I have felt it. But there is a way.

He said no more. Katelyn had no idea of this communication as her dragon had kept her out of it on purpose. He had no idea if the thing connected to the tentacle, whatever it was, had also infiltrated on their connection. But he hoped this little piece of conversation was not heard by it. It was still a risk, but someone had to know the truth of the tentacle.

Gelltor nodded as he listened to Katelyn explain the arm to him he got a telepathic message from Malice who relayed what Sleet had told him. It was beginning to sound like what he was concerned about.

"You got that when Mordred barged in on Hyro if I recall. I find it hard to believe that it is as much of a reward as it seems considering it was intended to be a punishment. You should be careful with your thoughts sir, I worry that Hyro does not trust you."

This was his way of hinting that she really should be more careful with it. He had to beat around the bush since blurting it out would likely give away more then he would like.

"Done Sleet. You mind filling me in on what you think that is though? Gelltor seems to have caught on but he is blocking me out."

It wasn't uncommon that Gelltor kept Malice in the dark on some matters. The dragon had proven before to not be nearly as tight lipped as his rider.

-------------------------------------------------------

As the Magi dragon began to get tired his movements started to get sloppy. Rio took advantage of this and urged the coastal runner forward and overturned the lead to herself. Ayos seeing that he had fallen behind started putting on an extra burst of speed but his weariness got the better of him. Just as he felt he would catch up to the pair a bluna leaped out of the water right in front of him and in an attempt to avoid it wound up striking a glancing collision. Ayos was spun about and splashed into the water with little more then a short.

"AAH!"

Rio looked over her should but did not see her dragon for a second before he finally surfaced. She shot him a taunting smile and took off with the Coastal runner. Cursing himself Ayos took off and out of the water in an attempt to recover the lost lead but Rio was too far ahead and it was obvious who would reach dry ground first.

((Unfortunately no inspiration for Matthew, he'll come to live again when they arrive at the coast...))

Katelyn's eyes narrowed slightly as she heard his words. She shook her head and then followed it up with a shrug of her shoulders. The tentacle seemed to shiver ever so slightly, almost as if it was a conscious being who knew he was the subject being talked about.

"Trust is not something Hyro ever gives to anyone. The punishment was the loss of my arm. But the fact Hyro replaced it with a tool much more convenient than an arm is a reward. So I do believe that while my results please him enough not to kill me, I am on his safe side." Something about her words made it sound almost an automatic answer. Despite the fact she was here to protect her family, she would not see the truth about the tentacle yet. Those first days she had been repulsed by it. But it slowly grew on her, almost literaly, almost like an unhealthy addiction. Part of her knew it was not right, but another part was being influenced by the thing, making her see and feel as if the tentacle was a good thing. That she was happy to have it. Those thoughts were forced upon her without her even realizing it.

"But that is not why I have brought you here. You should not try to talk me out of my purpose. I brought you here to have a talk without any prying ears. You claim your loyalty lies with me, then I have to ask you to show so as well. Next time Hyro asks me about you, I do not want to be forced into having to eliminate you, just because you do not show full cooperation. Understood?"

What it is? I honestly have no idea. But it is nothing good, that is for sure.

I touched it once or twice by mind and it lives. But it feels foul. Fouler even than the mind of your rider.

Sleet grinned slightly, a small puff of icy smoke coming from his nostrils. The servant busy bringing hunks of meat to him scared and jumped backwards, which made Sleet chuckle. But his mind was not as amused as he seemed. The presence of the tentacle worried him more than he let on.

Gelltor nodded in understanding to Katelyn.

"Sorry sir, I will avoid repeating this act in the future. I will also follow your orders as always but I must still say be careful of that Tentacle. Hyro does not give trust and neither is he one for gifts. Last I checked, I was just voicing concern for my commanders well being is all."

He said in a once in a lifetime sincere tone. He needed to get rid of that tentacle. Malice had told him that it was corrupting Katelyn and that meant it likely had a will of it's own. In order for something to have a will it would need a mind, it was not too far fetched to believe that it could hear all that was being said. He started conjuring up plans as to how to get it out of the equation.

"Don't, Gelltor. If it is aware, simply cutting it off is not going to work so well. Hyro will be on us in no time not to mention Katelyn will be less likely to work with us. Sleet says he doesn't have any other info on it."

"Ask him for anything at all. I thought I saw Drac toss something too her during our last encounter. If that traitor wasn't there I would know for sure if she kept it or not."

"I am pretty sure he was throwing it at her not too her."

"Just ask."

Malice grumbled and reconnected with Sleet.

"I heard that comment about Gelltor too you know. Anyways He wasn't so know if there is anything at all even remotely related to the tentacle that you know of."

Katelyn gave a curt nod and then spurred her horse back into a gentle trot. She was planning on heading out to the former camp of the NDK to check if anything might have been left. Once they entered the woods properly, she slowed the horse to a walk again and scanned the area.

Sleet wrinkled his nose. How much could he entrust to those two? Gelltor keeps claiming he's on the same side as them, but could he trust the man enough to impart the little knowledge he had? Would it be safe? Wrestling with the thought, Sleet picked up a large hunk of meat left by the servant and swallowed it whole. Letting out an audible sigh, he guessed there was no other way.

"There might be a way out. A gem. When the thing touched the gem, it... hurts. According to Maddox it might be the way out. But it won't be pleasant for Katelyn. Her mind is so much connected with it, when it gets hurt, she will get hurt. I don't know what it will do. But according to Maddox, it will be worth the try."

Letting out another sigh, the ice dragon curled up, stuffing his snout underneath a wing. He was afraid of what might come to happen. If something could be done about the tentacle, if Hyro would sense it and what side Gelltor and his dragon would ultimately prove to be on.

Malice nodded then remembered the conversation was telepathic and thanked Sleet in return. He had sensed the hesitation from sleet by the amount of time it tookk for him to respond back, a clear sign that they still weren't trusted. Still if they had been so easily trusted by Katelyn then this plan would likely be long since ruined since such a trusting person would find it hard to keep secrets. It was a motto learned by Gelltor and Malice when they first started, "The only people worth trusting are the ones who trust few themselves." was how it went.

"Sleet says ther is a gem that causes the arm to react negatively. Even Maddox says it might help her."

Gelltor was following Katelyn to the former NDK camp when he got the message.

"Maddox? You sure he said Maddox."

"Yep, the one and only grand master himself is endorsing that gem. Why he cares not only confusesme it worries me too. If Drac did toss Katelyn that gem and the grand master thinks it can help with the tentacle then I think we need to look at it for ourselves. I am sure that Sleet will suffer if you reveal this and if that tentacle can indeed contact Hyro, revealing it to Katelyn now would ruin everything."

Gelltor rode quietly as he mulled it all oover in his head. He needed to get the message across to Katelyn without actually saying anything about it.

"Sir if I may, I noticed that when you fight you are often the one in command. Rider leading dragon, kind of like a master servant relationship. I mean - when I say this but do you listen to your dragon at all? If not then I think you should, he will only say and do what's best for you after all. Listening to him will save your life some day."

It was teh best he could do, he hoped that she would remember the words listen to your dragon as that was all he could say about the matter.

Edited by En'K'Haral

Katelyn turned her head around and lifted a brow. Unfortunately for Gelltor, Katelyn wasn't fully aware of what the gem could do to the tentacle. She knew it hurt and the words Maddox had told her, but Sleet had not imparted to her his own thoughts about it all. And it seemed that somehow, the tentacle was getting more control over her once more. The shock of the day before had temporarily broken or weakened the mental link between it and Katelyn, but it was once again crawling deeper and deeper, gaining more and more power.

"You deem you can tell me what to do and what not to do? I will let you know that my dragon and I share an excellent bond. I would give my life for him and I have no doubt he would give his life for me. So I do not think you have any right as to say what I can or cannot do with him." She slowed her horse down, having seen something nearby, a glistening of something.

"There. Part of there camp. You take the far side and I'll stay here. Look for anything out of the ordinary or something which might help us."

((Sorry for my absence I had no inspiration for either Kat or Ryoka, still none for Ryoka at least until the NDK do something interesting. Also Boram Du Couteau and his dragon Renekton are temp characters, which I will allow to be killed off at a later point.))

Garen's gaze followed Renekton cautiously as Boram led the dragon to the stall that had once housed the split that had injured Sleet. The sent of blood from the fight although now faint pleased the gray as he settled in like he was right at home. Happy that he wasn't going to have to fight with his dragon for once Boram Du Couteau swiftly unloaded his things and the saddle off Renekton. With the pack slung over his shoulder Boram glanced in Garen's direction briefly before heading back out to his waiting daughter.

Katarina had already been informed by Garen of where Renekton was making himself home for the time being, which she didn't like one bit. It wasn't so much that it was the stall of a traitor's dragon, but the fact that dragons had fought there once and knowing his temperament it was likely to happen again if Malice did anything stupid. Either way Garen would be keeping an eye on both Renekton and Malphite. The poor dragon was beginning to earn himself a nice reward in the form of a good dinner at this rate.

Seeing her father her mind snapped back to the important matter at hand; he was here for some sort of business that was important enough to call him away from his duties at home. "How long are you planning to be staying sir?" The sir had been added just to be on the safe side, considering a slip of the tongue and she would receive a quick backhand across the face. "I will be here for as long as Lord Hyro needs me to be, plus I have a gift for his breeders." The comment about the gift greatly sparked Katarina's interest causing her to raise an eyebrow to which Boram held up a hand as soon as she opened her mouth to speak. "I'll show you once like Renekton I have settled in."

Malice watched as a new arrival made his way into the stall. Who was this guy, another gray? Gelltor got the hint of Malice desiring to show superiority but Gelltor sent a sharp and almost painful mental warning to the gray dragon.

"Don't."

"He reeks of arrogance!"

"Don't."

"But-"

"I said no."

"Fine I'll be good. For now."

Malice let out a defeated sigh and turned away from the other gray. Just looking at the new arrival was a temptation to challenge him. Gelltor returned his mind to the situation at hand.

"My apologies sir. I had no intention of offending you and I guess I was mistaken."

He hoped that Katelyn was not the type to let things go with ease. He gave an affirmative response and dismounted from the horse and began to search through the ruble of the camp. Not sure what it was he was looking for he didn't really get the point of the order other than to cover him in ash, but it was just ash so it was alright. He needed at least the guise of obedience right now.

"What of the new arrival?"

"Looks like he is a relative of Katrina's. Whoa, she's practically acting as a maid to the guy. Never seen her do that before."

"Interesting, I will have to look farther into it later in the mean time tell Sleet that he should try encouraging Katelyn to use the jewel."

Malice acknowledged Gelltor's plan and connected with Sleet.

"Hey Sleet, Gelltor thinks you should try and get her to use the gem. It might get her back, but we guarantee nothing. Oh and we have a new arrival, looks like someone Katrina knows."

Gelltor spoke over his shoulder to Katelyn.

"Malice says that we have a new arrival. A man and another gray dragon just got in. He says that this man holds some kind of sway over Katrina, it has me a little concerned."

He continued to dig through stuff and found a sword that wasn't blackened.

"Huh, would you look at that."

He tossed it aside as useless.

Edited by En'K'Haral

((*pokes Matthew* He’s silent…))

Hearing the news about the new arrival, Katelyn looked up in shock. She had heard rumors about Katrina’s father and by Gelltor’s description, it was probably him. Stopping her own search, she immediately walked back to her horse.

“Keep Malice in check, let him under no circumstances challenge or annoy them. In fact, let him keep a large distance from them for the moment. If my thoughts are correct, it is Lord Du Couteau, Katrina’s father. We best go back to the castle immediately. Did you find anything?”

Getting back on the animal and grabbing the reins tightly, she spoke to Sleet while already angling the horse back in the general direction of the castle.

Keep an eye on Malice. Boram Du Couteau is around. We’re heading back.

Got it.

Malice. Stay low for the moment. Something’s up. As for the gem, I’ll try. But Katelyn is… hard to persuade these days. And honestly speaking, I don’t think she’ll willingly use the gem for the necessary time needed to show any possible result. It… hurts her. Maddox even spoke about the need to sedate. I’d call in his help, but I’m afraid he’s too closely watched.

((Idea!))

Rio finally reached the coast and the coastal dragon she was riding landed and allowed her to dismount and take whatever stuff she had loaded on to it. It then just lay on the ground tired from the high speed race Rio patted it affectionately on the head as she spoke.

"You were awesome, we completely beat out Ayos. I am sorry I don't have anything on me at the moment that you might like but I will get Ayos to whip up something for you."

She said stroking the coastal's neck affectionately. She waited for the others to not only land but catch up. She had ended up cutting ahead of the main group and while they weren't exactly specs in the distance they weren't particularly close either. So she sat on the beach and waited for the rest of the NDK with the biggest and most ridiculous grin on her face. Despite the goofy grin she did look very proud of herself, having apparently gotten over losing the violins to the assault on the elf home.

The spy that had been slipped in with the rest of the NDK stuck with the main group, his little red dragon riding the coastal with him. Now that they had reached land he would be required to report in with the man in the underground that had hired him. His first chunk of information would be in code and sent as soon as possible. He knew they were here to get the dwarves to join up and he would report that as well as all that had happened during his stay with the NDK.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gelltor picked up the sword again and mounted his horse as well.

"Does this sword count as interesting? It is totally untarnished which I thought interesting, but that could just be chance. Don’t worry about Malice, I have already told him to behave."

He said as he waited for Katelyn to take the lead.

Malice grumbled as he received a second warning from Sleet.

"I get it already, Gelltor already said so. Jeeze, what's got you all so scared? I bet I could bring that wimp down in no time flat."

Edited by En'K'Haral