picknick10

Eragon (semi-lit)

(A clearing, not the mountain Fuzz :3)

((I've noticed the bumps, I've just been busy with marching band and people wanting help. Anyone seen DS while we're at it? I haven't had time to PM her, and haven't seen her. I'm in need of her to respond however....))

Draith listened to Astrea's thoughts as the dragon rambled on. She didn't see the memory the small dragon did, but she could tell by the dragon's words that she had reviewed it. You're not like that? There was a hint of surprise in her voice. I do recall you torturing someone, a soldier I believe, with that memory... that would fall under 'being like that' I'd say Astrea. Certainly would under our circumstances. Or policies, whichever you choose. Draith was only somewhat toying with the small dragon's mind, though trying halfway to make it seem like idle conversation and contradictions. I'm sure it would fall there in anyone else's view too. You did it after all. You went that far at least; who's to say you won't go further the next chance you get? Especially since you did end up killing him, just by doing that. She had slowed down the last four words to emphasize them, making the 'that' more cut so it had a harder edge. Yet everything she said wasn't actually a lie. It was all true in the long run.

The small dragon listened to Draith. This time she decided to actually talk to the shade. I killed him just like that? No, I scared him allowing him to be eaten up by Akira. He was in pain yes, but it only lasted for a few seconds at least... But that wasn't very hard... She paused for a moment letting the rest of the words sink in. To herself she thought though: Draith is right. I tortured him. I AM like that. At this point the little dragon was probably confused or she just didn't care anymore. The morality switch was now mostly off. She saw Akira eat that solider up without a care in the world. She then continued: Who's to say that? Not me. I'm just an apparently messed up hatchling. You group us together though and use me as a toy. Toys are always fun though, so I don't blame you... There was another pause. Oh and I didn't feel any joy while killing that soldier. In fact I didn't feel much at all... Do you feel like that sometimes? Right now though she felt very sad. Her mind was constantly being probed and the shade was loving every minute of putting the baby dragon down.

Instinctively she began to cry to Akira.

Draith... She uses me as a toy. She tells me I'm just like her and I guess it's true... A bit of the sorrow seeped through a bit as well and the thought tried to make it's way to Elbereth as well.

((That's okay hatchie. I'll shoot him a PM. The idle chat between Astraea and Draith is very interesting in my opinion.))

(meh, I was waiting for Jayes...)

Akira heard the hatchling right as she touched down, making sure to have the foot carrying Jayes raised in the air as she landed as to not squish him. She then sat him down before saying to Astarae, while also throwing her own mental barriers over the hatchling as well to try and stop Draith's listening in and probing, "Don't listen to her. She finds amusement in torture and will say anything to get at somebody. It is fine to attack and kill to protect your loved ones, as long as you don't take true joy in the actual killing of a person, it is fine. You don't necessarily have to feel remorse, just not joy. Killing should be for survival only, not fun. Remember that little one. For now I will try to protect you from Draith, but I can't make any promises how well it will work while I am trying to help Elbereth and Will. But I will try. For now, watch over Jayes and try your best to protect him, just don't get yourself hurt or killed." With that, Akira made sure Astarae was on the ground and near Jayes before taking off again, flying straight back towards Will and the group.

((Truly sorry akiraa, I didn't realize my ipad had deleted what I put for Jayes when it refreshed the page suddenly (because it does that.... and I hate it... sooo much.) ))

Jayes watched Akira fly off, slightly confused about Astrea's jumbled comments to everything. He could tell the small dragon was upset, having never seen a dragon cry before, and didn't really know what to do. What could he do to make it better for a dragon?

"Hey, if it'll help, I'll offer what I can to shield you from her too. Nobody needs to listen to her games... she only wants to get through to you as Akira said... and then go from there with her ways." It wasn't that comforting, but at least it supported that it wasn't Astrea's fault. I'll take good care of her Akira, I promise. Plus, I'll help keep Draith's twisted mind out of the situation if she'll allow. He told the larger dragon who was flying away, hoping the best for her. He waited for the hatchling's response, not wanting to pry her privacy without her consent.

~~~

Perhaps. Draith answered Astrea to her question on how she felt. She hadn't taken that into account for a long time. Usually she considered such actions a form of work, a tad bit better than the mundane tasks other soldiers went through however. She could tell from the tone and feeling of Astrea's voice and mind that the dragon was slowly getting to where Draith wanted her to get. Hopefully that'd seep to Elbereth too, perhaps creating something else entirely.

But Draith wished to see what something else could do for the time being.

Certainly you realize that what you did wasn't completely bad though, yes? You were helping, albeit differently than some think is help, to fight and even protect your Rider if you wish to go that far. A change it heart? Not quite. That's something they probably won't truly understand, even though they try to say they do. It's not in their grasp, nor do they realize it could be without going completely off the edge. But Draith ended there, knowing Akira at least would do her best to stop the idle chat. After all, she was talking to a smaller version of a once small Akira. Shade's could be corrupting, best stop them before they get too far. She'd wait to see if Astrea responded.

Astraea looked up at Jayes. She thought to him and to Akira if she could hear her: Thank you for helping me, the funny thing is that she didn't attack my mind. She just talked to me and made me feel evil. She grouped myself with her. To heself she thought: Now she's contradicting herself and saying that the others don't understand... Elbereth please be okay...

Back to Jayes she asked: Is there anything I can do for you?

Akira gave a quick "Thank you..." To Jayes as she flew. Once she got back to the main group, she saw most of the soldier either dead or gone. With them out of the way, and Elbereth up in a tree, Jayes away, and Astarae off her back, she quickly dive bombed and landed a few feet away from Draith and Zalik. She then growled low and menacing at them. She couldn't attack yet, but she sure as hell would as soon as the opportunity arose, less someone, namely Will, gave her a reason not to.

--

Elbereth had exhausted most of her magic energy now, and let the plants cease since most of the soldiers were either dead or had retreated. She then proceeded to shoot at those remaining with arrows.

((Bump? No reply yet from dragonsword.))

Edited by fuzzzzj

((Been busy, like usual :/ marching band is time consuming... and so is modding... *silently attempts to poke DS*))

You could say that Draith may have taken Astrea's lack of comment a bit to the sad side of things. You also could say she expected that; after all, Akira was helping the dragon now. She thought she sensed a hint of Jayes there too. So, having found no further reason to linger where not wanted, the shade decided to turn her attention to the large purple mass coming at her and Zailik. Right on que.

"Welcome back." Draith responded to the growl with a smile and cheerful tone. Probably something that seemed rather out-of-character for such a being. Or suspicious in the slightest. A mix of both perhaps? That depended on where you stood.

The shade moved slightly away from Will, though took precautions in the measure to make sure Will stayed where he was. The magic doing that wasn't great, or even surprising. It was a simple string of spells, simply meant to keep him there for as long as they lasted. Zailik, on the other hand, was positioned to kill by the time Akira had landed. His sword had been pressed lightly to Will's neck in a matter of moments once he saw the dragon coming at them. So much for Will's silent treatment and lack of understanding.

"I was wondering when you'd get here..." The tone was still mostly welcoming, though it started to become more familiar to the surroundings. "You see," She gestured to Will, and Zailik. "We've been waiting for your company. Though I'm sure you've realized that by now, haven't you?" The emphasis didn't fit the actions. The question proposed at the end, certainly didn't seem necessary or even really relevant.

As before, the shade's sword was still out. It laid neatly at her right side, held loosly it seemed but something also seemed more ready about her grip choice. Where she stood wasn't all too far away from Will, it wasn't all too far away from where she had originally been when Akira landed. It was, however, closer to Akira while still with Will in the way. Slightly. He was to her left, the dragon basically ahead of her by now. "If you didn't realize that, I know you've noticed the small chat Astrea and I held for a few moments. Hopefully that didn't fray a nerve or two with you." The shade didn't dare to be careless enough to take her sight completely off Akira, but a glance toward Elbereth's direction was all she wanted. She knew the elf couldn't be in very great shape after the show of skill with the crazed plants. Especially after having them last so long. "Elbereth might not have noticed it however. She seemed rather busy... though I doubt she wouldn't mind more company if the chance were offered." There, there her tone changed. No longer was it welcoming or slightly mocking as it had started to become with the harmless questioning. There perhaps was the tell-tale that something had the potential to go very wrong if lines were crossed incorrectly. There, was the familiar tone Zailik had learned to hate and also appreciate- it had saved their skins more than once. Akira probably would remember it from her younger years when Zailik and Draith first met them, as bad a few days that ever could be for a Rider and dragon.

~~

Jayes sighed, watching Astrea for a moment. "I doubt it." He answered, lowering himself to be at her level so it was easier for them both. "Unless that means you can help me find Elbereth and figure out what Draith's up to... her chat wasn't for nothing if I remember anything about her..." He shuddered slightly at the thought. Now probably wasn't the time he wanted his last memory of Layel running through his mind. It was painful to even hear her name, let alone remember what happened to himself in those few minutes it took.

His eyes closed for just a few seconds as he pushed that all away. Hopefully forever. When he opened them back up, he looked right into Astrea's eyes. "But I promised Akira I'd make sure no harm came to you... so that's out of the question." He finished. Only a slight smile was trying to fool her now from the thoughts that he always wanted to forget.

If he knew right, what Draith was up to wasn't going to turn out good for the opposing side. It hadn't before when she had last done something so rash, though he doubted she would go that far again. She could be coming close though and that was what worried Jayes. If she had double-crossed the King, and double-crossed the small group before only to help them again for so long and now, suddenly just revert back to her original job- what was to stop her from doing it again if they let her off with a heavy warning? They needed to find a way to truly get to her, get to who she used to be if he had his wish, and make sure none of this ever happened again. He feared now that his suspicions of the rumors he had heard for so long were true, and worse. Draith was powerful, and battered enough, to be considered a dramatic threat to the King. Zailik's information on what she'd gone through countless times only furthered that. Galbatorix had set her off free for some personal gain of his, for he knew even before Zailik explained that he could have simply forced her to serve him in the Ancient Language. Yet he hadn't. Some reason had caused him, the King of Alegasia, not to suppress Draith to the point of breaking her will. Jayes doubted now though that if they managed to find that reason, that it would help them finally solve their problem with this shade. He also doubted that killing her would truly solve it. Another shade could come, and could potentially be worse.

The collection of moments it took for Jayes' mind to run through all these thoughts probably gave his ruse away to Astrea. He was worried, truly worried, for everyone's safety. His slight smile had disappeared sometime through that, leaving him starring blanking off into the distance. Why had Astrea have to hatch into such a chaotic time in what used to be such a beautiful world?

Edited by Dragonhatchling

(whoah sorry I've been staying at a friends and forgot my comp... what do you need me to reply to DH?)

((Hmm.... well, that's the last time I believe my computer when it says ERROR and then tells me I posted :/ ))

Zailik glanced at Draith. She seemed half amused, half angry at Will. That probably wasn't good.

"Not entirely important either... you'll figure it out some day." Draith simply responded, looking over toward Elbereth. "Though... she may need your help while you're at it. Except you won't get that chance. Not right now."

This was getting nowhere fast. That much Zailik could see. He didn't get the point of this though. She hadn't informed him of her plan, though it clearly was something behind all the empty threats. Perhaps a reminder? He still didn't get it. But he did catch wind of Astrea's thoughts. He smiled at that. He finally got it.

((^ the last post Draith respondeded to Will in, which was aftar he said he did't get what se was saying. What's going on now thouigh might be a tad bit more improtant. Akira landded nearby and is waiting for some typ of signal from Will... and Draith's... well... being Draith.

You'ra better off reding my moss recent post, as well as Akira's. For mine, basicaly only the tof half will suffice. I'd explain it right now... it's 12:am and so far I'vr gone 24hrs without sleep... so my logic's roug and my explaining is probably ruoger. spelling fry is too since I'm galf awake.))

(okay.... lets see what other chaos I can stir up)

Will hadn't really been giving them the silent treatment, it was more like the blank-eyed, zoned out treatment as him mind kind of locked down and tried to purge him of his backfired spell. he sat there silent and motionless, not even noticing when the soldier behind him pressed the cold tip of his blade to the back of his neck. Will just started off into the distance until suddenly he blinked and looked around, the old defiant look in his eyes... will, the here and now Will, was back. Will's eyes flicked to akira and he smiled slightly.

'I'm not even going to ask what happened he told her mentally, not remember what happened in his little relapse, it was just blank to him. he tried to move his arm but felt it pulled back and his smile turned into a frown as he glanced down. he then noticed the blade pressed to his neck and leaned his head forward so he could turn it and look at who the owner of the blade was, surprised to see that it was Zailik. he blinked at the man and tilted his head slightly, doing his best to lean away from the sword. "Zailik? what the heck is going on?" he asked, after all he had come to trust the ex-soldier, in a sense.

the Riders eyes then slid to Draith and his eyes narrowed as he sighed. "she's at it again isn't she?" he asked, meaning trying to take him and Akira in. "will she ever just give it a break for once" he added but the whole time his mind was picking at the magic holding him in place, trying to find a weak spot where he could break it.

Akira barely glanced at Will, happy he was awake, but too focused on the shade. She was growling with her wings spread out to make her already large body look larger, her scales seemed to actually bristle somewhat, like the fur on a dog. Flames licked at her teeth, claws digging into the ground, while glaring at the Shade, and it was quite the menacing sight to behold. She was not happy with the Shade, and her taunting was just making her anger increase, the menacing tone at the end is what really got her going. It was easy to see that there could be double trouble between the two of them if something didn't diffuse the situation. Akira was already readying and pulling on the strings of her magic, ready to use it to diffuse the sword and push both Zalik and Draith away from Will in one big swoop of magic. She wasn't even sure if she could pull it off, but anger was making her rash right now. She wanted the Shade dead and both away from Will. She then hissed and said to Draith "I wonder what toasted Shade tastes like, but I'm sure as hell going to find out if you don't release. Will. NOW!"

((*likes little bits of chaos* *is also glad to have DS back*))

Zailik didn't respond to Will, being too busy waiting to kill him and hoping to whatever gods were out there that Akira wouldn't fry them both. He was always somewhat afraid of dragons. Angry ones definitely being top on his list of things to stay away from. Dragons topped his list of things to not make mad too. He hoped Will might have a shred of understanding and that Akira might, just maybe, decide to skin Draith instead of toast them if Will got away. Not that he'd let that happen. Not when it came to his life he wouldn't. Well, not on purpose. Draith would kill him then, and probably Akira too.

Draith laughed lightly at Akira's minimal threats and attempts to make things a tad bit worse. She could easily see she was angry, very very angry, and did expect that. Completely. Who wouldn't be angry, especially for a dragon, if their lifeline was captured? "We could test it now if you'd like... but, I wouldn't if I were you. Those tests might just backfire." She didn't expect the purple dragon to understand her motives for this small mishap in their adventure. "Honestly, we could skip that and you could make this very easy Akira... providing Will cooperates as well."

Will gave up on getting answers from Zailik and focused on the magic binding him. finally he found the weak link and threw his mind against it with all his might. he felt it waver then break and he tumbled forward as his binds came free. instantly he rolled away from Zailik and his blade then got to his feet, grinned at the man, and took off heading for Akira, his elf blood helping him a bit in that.

(hope its okay that he got free DH)

The hatchling looked back at Jayes who seemed without hope. He was right, it was dangerous, but that didn't mean that she didn't want to help. After all, she just went through a lot psychological pain. I could show him what happened. At some points in our little game we were playing together Draith showed just a hint of pain in the form of sadness or even distress. What if there was a way she could be happy again?

"I would love to go after Elbereth actually, I worry for her greatly. But you're injured... But there is one thing I can do, I remeber the conversation I had with Draith in perfect clarity; do you want to see it?" The hatchling noticed a pain he was trying to mask. "I'll talk to her again if you want, she didn't attack me actually. She just twisted my words around, and I'm feeling better. But that may be counter productive."

Everybody I know is hurt in some way or another right now... Why can't I do anything!!!

((I think my internet is fixed... but I'm still busy :/ which probably doesn't help.... sorry for the wait guys... and that's perfectly fine DS. I actually preferred Will getting free smile.gif ))

Zailik cursed as Will rolled, pretty much scrambling after him. He was too quick however, and the soldier felt stupid for allowing such a problem to commence. Now he had to worry about Akira and Draith. Or, at least he grouped Draith with it. She was unpredictable about that most times.

He did, however, freeze when he ended up closer to Akira than he wanted. Even a step closer than before was too close. This wasn't ideal. Not in the least. His fear probably made it much worse, considering the angry dragon was ready to either eat him and burn him at the same time, or just flat out fry him and leave him there. He swallowed slightly, starring at Akira's big purple and angry eyes. He didn't want to die just yet. Or at all if he could ever have a choice.

Draith rolled her eyes slightly when Will had gotten free, watching Zailik scramble after him like a small child. She was about to do something about that herself when the soldier froze in front of Akira. His fear had gotten the better of him again. Understandable, considering Galbatorix's dragon didn't necessarily have a welcoming characteristic and a owned a very short temper.

The shade sighed to this, realizing that, for Akira, Zailik probably was the most easy target to scare that she had ever met. It just took being around her to get him off edge, yet he had managed to hide it before now. She decided to make it worse and walked up behind him before standing to his right. "Seems you get your chance anyway to use your fire. Though, I'm not entirely sure about the whole tasting thing... fried soldier doesn't taste particularly well, and shade I doubt would taste any better."

~~~~~~~~

Jayes shook his head, frowning a little. "Noo... I'm not going to let you talk to her again. She'll twist it worse and make you feel like there's nothing to live for..." He looked around a bit, trying to think of a way that they could get to Elbereth and not get anything, or anyone else, hurt in the process. "Reliving the conversation again probably will do the same thing..." He was out of ideas. Either it was go against his promise to Akira and go headlong to save Elbereth somehow, or allow Astrea to talk to Draith, which seemed just as bad.

Jayes that conversation is already burned into my memory. It will NEVER go away. So lets see... Us two are almost completely out of options. But I can't just sit here. Perhaps I could plan something. Draith isn't the only one who can plan things.

With that thought, Astraea started drawing something in the dirt. She was drawing tha battleground, a large triangle representing Akira, a rectangle representing Zalik, a hexagon representing Will, and finally an x just outside the grid to represent the missing Elbereth. Outside of the grid she drew a small traingle representing herself, and an oval representing Jayes.((There positions are of what Astraea last saw.))

"I was thinking of perhaps making a strategy of what we could do while you decide what to do. No one can get hurt by just planning, right? Any ideas?"

((Not sure what else to post.))

Akira quickly proceeded to stand protectively over Will when he got over to her. Flames licked out from between her teeth even more now and she said "I'm sure I've ate worse." A flare of magic arose as Akira through up a protection spell around her and Will. It probably wasn't the best, Akira didn't use her magic often mostly preferring to use her fire, but it should still do the job. She proceeded to growl lower and opened her mouth somewhat, a spurt of flame coming out and stopping just a few inches from the soldier and shade.

((Spontanious (quite literally) college visiting prevented me from using the internet... but, I'm back now so I should be able to check up on this.

If I'd have known that was going to happen before, I would've said. Still though, I'm sorry for disappearing.))

Zailik flinched when the fire came close to him. His mind was wishing he could just run, though his body knew he couldn't. Running would get him killed, probably by Akira, and he didn't want to die. Yet, he didn't want to die just standing here too. "Akira..." But the soldier didn't have much to say.

Draith didn't seem affected by the show of magic, or the flames. "You may have, but even if you did manage to eat us, it would not solve much." She could see that comment bothered Zailik a little more. He would be dead, for sure, but Akira would have to be careful if she were to try and eat Draith. The shade knew that the dragon probably considered that though, but doubted the ability to iniciate such a plan.

~~~~~~~

Jayes watched Astrea draw shapes into the ground. He wasn't entirely sure what planning might do if they couldn't enact on it, but he decided to go along with it. He still didn't have any ideas that wouldn't go against his promise to keep Astrea safe. The safest place for her was up here. For him too, given his injuries. "Maybe we could travel down closer to where Elbereth last was? Make sure she's ok?" He offered, drawing a line with his uninjured arm from their respected shapes to the X. "Getting her to safety might stop Draith's schemes... she seemed more interested in Elbereth than Will and Akira for a small bit."