walkman42

Süpėr School

"REX!"

"REX!"

Cizzur stopped breaking the bones of the boy unfortunate enough to be in his grip. He hesitated a moment then ran and jumped out of the window - without bothering to open the window first.

Pain seared him as glass pierced his flesh and shattered all around him, making his impact even more unpleasant but he did not care.

He hurried to the place where he had heard the screams coming from and then stopped dead. It took just one look to see his friend was beyond help. His knees gave under him and he started crying like a baby.

---

"Charms of luck?" Tegan guessed. "Like four leaf clover?" Somewhere he had heard stones with holes in them were lucky but he didn't remember where.

Cadenza picked up the little round stone and turned it over in her hands. It was a boring grey colour, although the hole in the middle was about the size of an eye.

Suddenly struck by an idea Cadenza held the stone up to her right eye and closed her left.

"Whoa!"

Claire had been watching Cadenza and when the other blonde cried out in surprise she glanced at Tegan. Picking up her own stone she to held it up to her eye and looked through it.

Everything was black and white, but with no shades of grey. It was very disorienting as most of the people around her were mere 3D shadows on a white canvas, except one girl near the front who looked normal and had a slight bluey silver glow about her.

As other people began to copy Cadenza and looked around the classroom in amazement Julius chuckled.

"These are fairy stones. They allow you to see minor fay or half bloods that can not hide their natural glamour."

A lot of people were now staring at the girl who glowed blue. Why was she alone the only one showed up like that?

Moonshine teleported into class and took a spot in the line. She seemed distant, as if she was a thousand miles away. She did the excercise and noted what happened. Then she raised her hand and said "Are we allowed to keep the stones? Or are they only to show us what they do?" lowering her hand she gazed at the stone, she seemed to stare into it's depths, although her mind was in an entirely other direction from the stone in her hands, usefull though it may be.

Claire looked at him as if she wanted to see if he had observed the same thing he had. He had not. He had watched Mr.Abbadon, when Cadenza had called out waiting for a reply to his guess, which had never come.

Now he turned to Cadenza and saw her looking through the hole in the stone. Clair emulated her and Tegan held up his own stone in front of his right eye.

The vision afforded by the stone was eerie, worse then being in a black and white comic. At least there were shades of grey.

Mr. Abbadon explained what the stone did and Tegan studied the blue glowing girl interested.

A moment later Moonshine appeared and he looked in her direction.

Moonshine was black and white, but he thought he had seen a flicker of colour under the desk behind Moonshine. Was someone hiding there?

((Not sure if you are willing to allow other fae blooded pupils and if there are other colours then blue so he might imagine things.))

((Yes that's fine Laura, although it would be nice if there aren't too many people with fairy blood wandering around.

I was just waiting for Moonshine to arrive Ware smile.gif ))

"The stones are on loan from the Magenop University, so we will have to return them I'm afraid" Julius told Moonshine as he walked down her aisle towards her. "So please try not to break them" he added to the class in general.

When he reached Moonshine he bent over slightly and whispered in her ear.

"Come and see me after class. There is something I need to discuss with you."

The glowing girl at the front of the class had not picked up her own stone, but was merely staring right straight ahead at the blackboard with an uninterested expression.

Claire started looking around the room, wondering if anything else was going to glow when her eye passed the window. Something bright and yellow darted darted across the glass and vanished, followed closely by another.

Having reached the front of the classroom again Julius turned to face his students.

"The brighter the colours you see through the fairy stone the purer the blood of the fay. What I want you to do today is to spilt up into pairs and have a good wander around the school and the grounds to see how many different faerys you can find. I've already had a good look around and there is nothing particulary dangerous for you to worry about, although as a rule red or purple is usually an indicator that the fay is aggressive, so it may be wise to keep your distance."

Cadenza slowly raised her hand.

"Sir? You said that only minor fay could be seen using these stones. Does that mean that there are stronger ones that are undetectable?"

"Yes, but not around here" Julius assured her. "There are other ways to pick up traces of faerys and if there was a powerful and vicious fay around I would know about it by now."

Moonshine nodded once at the comment and noted the fact. She shok away the thought of stealing one and turned in supprise and he told her to stay after class. She watche him go to the front of the classroom and shook her head quickly to remove the shock and get her mind into the present. Gazing around the room her eyes fell on Tegan and she thought about joining him in a pair. Turning her gaze around the room she sighed once and steped back and leaned against the wall. She would settle for whomever was left, she wasn't in a mood to be picky. She rolled the stone around and mused quietly to herself. Turning she opened her mouth and said "Are there people who are born with this sight naturally?"

(suuuuure wink.gif )

Edited by warewolves

((Well he can't give her the message unless she's there to receive it rolleyes.gif))

"I think there have been a couple" said Julius in response to Moonshine question. "Although I admit I can't name anyone off the top of my head. Some part fay can also detect the presence of other halflings and true fay, but that usually depends on how much fay blood they themselves possess."

Cadenza looked around at Moira and waved at her, hoping to attract her attention. Although hunting down fairys sounded kind of fun, judging by their last lesson it would be an good idea to partner with someone who could make a quick get away if need be.

Moonshine nodded once. "I see.... Has there been any Fey that have caused major disasters, such as floods or something?. Are the Fey like supers in range of powers? Are there groups of types? What's their weaknes-Oops sorry" She smiled once apologetically. "I'm probably asking for the whole semester to be summarised. I once did that in a science lesson." She smiled at the memory. It was a strange smile, between a smile and a grimace. Turning away she gazed around and spotted Cadenza trying to find Moria. Her eyebrow twitched and she looked away and sighed and closed her eyes, continuing her zoning off. She kept one eye on the teacher, thoroughly curious about the Fey.

Julius chuckled at Moonshine's constant questions.

"That's quite alright Moonshine. It's only natural to be curious after all. Now to answer some of your questions. First of all Faerys range in species and race just as animals and humans do. There are some amongst them that possess similar powers to human supers, while others are capable of feats no human could ever attempt. There are Fey small enough to enter the human body completely unnoticed and others large enough to devour every planet in this solar system with one bite."

The Folklore teacher hesitated.

"Well, if they were pushed together a little bit..."

He looked down at his hands and moved them back and forth away from each other, as though trying to measure something out.

"Anyway" he resumed with a shrug. "You will probably never see most of them. Not all Faerys like to enter human worlds and are quite content to remain in their own plane. Others just don't find us all that entertaining."

((Fine by me smile.gif ))

Moira saw Cadenza waving at her and looked to Tegan for help.

Tegan grinned. "I think Sunshine wants to pair up with you."

Moira didn't move.

Tegan sighed. "If you want her as a partner you should stand up and join her now. If you'd rather have someone else thank her for the offer and ask the person you want to have."

Moira nodded and walked over to Cadenza. "I'd like to have you as a partner." she told the blond girl.

Tegan shook his head. "Sometimes she gives me a headache.", he said to Claire. "Though in her defense I think that was the first time ever someone other then her boyfriend Cizzur or me volunteered to be her partner and we know better then expect her to understand anything but plain speech. Most people find her disturbing. That was pretty nice of Cadenza."

He held up his stone. Then looked at Claire. "So what about you? Would you mind having me as your partner for this exercise?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

"Not at all" smiled back Claire. She looked back over at the window, but whatever the yellow streaks were they had not yet appeared.

"How many do you think we'll find? It'll be odd if the place is crawling with them."

~~~

Cadenza grinned as Moira joined her and asked to partner up.

"Thank you."

Other people were pairing up and starting to rise from their seats. A few people were already outside the door.

"Where should we start?"

((What about Rex?))

"Our rooms?" Moira suggested. "If there are any faeries around them I'd like to know it."

---

"I think it would be odder if - say- the supreme court was crawling with them. At least our powers come as close to magic as humans possibly can. It would make sense if at least some faerie creatures were drawn here."

He pointed at the desk which Moonshine had stood in front of.

"I ... kind of thought I saw another one behind it. I am not a hundret percent sure. I think there was a green glow but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. If one looks too hard for something that can happen. Shall we go and see?"

((I'm trying to think of a way to re-kill off his parents.))

"Yeah, good idea."

Cadenza shuddered at the thought of being spied on while in her room. Standing up she picked up her fairy stone, a pencil and a notepad.

"If there are some in there they had better be female."

~~~

"Okay."

Claire picked up her stone again and put it back over her right eye. Looking at the desk in question she tried to move towards it but banged her knee on a chair.

"Argh."

Removing the stone she bent over and rubbed her leg.

"I get now we have to do this in pairs. Somebody needs to watch where the other is going."

((I'd offer to let Cizzur murder them for revenge but that would destroy his character concept for me. Have a frozen turkey fall from the sky and kill them?))

"Why that?", Moira asked while they were going to their rooms.

---

"Kitty-Cat!", Tegan said alarmed when Claire bumped her knee. The concern in his eyes lessened when it looked like she would have only a bruise.

He sank down on his own knee and lifted his hands to reach for her. But he stopped an inch from her leg.

"Will you allow me, my lady?"

Edited by Laura-Lana

Moonshine smiled once and said "Thanks. I was always curious about faries when I was little. Fey are the same but in a very different way. Gazing around she frowned as she saw everyone was already paired up and her eye twitched again. Gazing at the stone she held it to her eye and gazed around the room. Turning once again she asked another question. "One last question. Would there be Fey at the center of the earth?"

"There could be" said Julius. "I don't think many people have gone down to check. I would advise against trying it for yourself though, as any creature, faery or not, would have to be pretty powerful to withstand the pressure and heat."

~~~

Cadenza looked over at Moira, trying to think how best to explain this. Moira wasn't one to think about things like self confidence or privacy, so the idea of being spied on while in the shower probably wouldn't upset her as much as a regular person.

"I guess because most people are more comfortable about private matters when with a member of the same gender? Like when you go to the doctors?"

~~~

"Don't tell me you can magic away bruises as well?" asked Claire.

~~~

Suddenly in a bizzare and terrible twist of fate, two giant frozen turkeys plummeted out of the sky and struck Rex's grieving parents. Both of them fell to the grass, quite dead.

Edited by Fortune86

Moonshine chuckelled "Let alone myself standing the pressure. No, I was just curious." Nodding once she gazed around the room. Rummaging around in her pocket she brought out her phone and glanced to it for a moment before putting it away. "Alright, a little less then an hour. Do you mind If I go and check the seven wonders for Fey?" She turned and gazed to the teacher and motioned to the room. "If there's anyone left I can bring them with me. Otherwise I'll go on my own, I'm not fussed.

"I was rather hoping that you would stick to looking around the school" pointed out Julius. "That is today's exercise after all. If you want to examine the seven wonders at a later date, you can always ask the University for a loan of a fairy stone."

He looked from Moonshine to the last girl in the classroom. The girl who had glowed silvery blue before.

"Why don't you partner with Odette? I'm sure she won't mind."

Moonshine nodded once and said "Whatever you want." Moving to stand next to the girl she turned her head and said "Odette, do you have any prefrence in direction or destination?"

Odette rose from her seat.

"I would suggest that we start with the gardens. Most of the faerys here are out there. Then if you like we can go to the kitchens and food hall."

Moonshine shrugged and began walking out the door. "Sure, why not?" And began heading toward the gardens.

Odette followed Moonshine out into the garden. She did not take her fairy stone, but left it on the desk.

Once outside she gestured to a small pot plant near the main doors. If Moonshine used her own stone she would be able to see numerous faint green lights hovering around it.

"Those are Minkymys."

Moonshine raised the stone to her eyes and gazed through it. She nodded once "Impressive. What can you tell me about them?" She gazed at them but did not take a step closer. Step one in observatation, don't scare away the thing you are looking at.

"They're basically the ants of the fay world. Not too bright or even dangerous, they pick one small plant to build their hive and spend their entire lives there. Like ants they are ruled by a queen, who is the only one who might be able to cause a human harm."

Odette walked forward and crouched down. Extending her hand a couple of the green specks landed on her palm and began to whsiper things only she could hear.