purplehaze

20-Week Breeding Challenge: 2024 -- The Challenge has begun!

9 hours ago, Mistywolf3628 said:

Got it, I was thinking more along the lines of if I get the wrong breed or color from a pairing since I'm planning on using gemshards with a different breed (lots of different ways that could go lol)

In my case I got the wrong breeds a lot last year

https://dragcave.net/lineage/elkrv

(and messed up a spiral VERY badly one year)

- carried on with the CHALLENGE but am still working on the CORRECT line

https://dragcave.net/lineage/DE5Y8 

to see how far I can get it.

Posted (edited)

A New Challenger Enters!

Scroll Link (optional):
Forum Name: Lucy202101
Today's Date: April 24

Starter Dragon (link and name if named ) : https://dragcave.net/lineage/kr80L

Challenge Group Link (required): https://dragcave.net/group/264797-20-week-challenge

Goal (Plan for your lineage): pure purple spiral! perhaps even inbred... we shall see

Edited by Lucy202101

All participants are added to here.

Don't forget, this is starting soon! I will try to remember to remind everyone on Saturday so we get off to a good start!

I'm not sure I'm going to do it this year. I cannot think of any ideas. 🙃

On 4/9/2024 at 7:37 PM, LadyMadonna said:

I'm thinking of perhaps doing a spiral involving Mistra and Oracle.  Doing mixed breed pairings can result in a total lottery of the egg produced (assuming that they do at least produce), so I'm not going to be precious about which egg to expect.  I'm hoping the colours will look good together whatever pattern they produce . . .  

I've been experimenting with this pairing over the last few weeks and, as suspected, the resulting egg seems very random. I may decide that a stair will look better than a spiral . . .

Test 1 spiral

Test 2 stair

Whatever happens, it should be fun.  Naming scheme will probably be lyrical. Just got to catch that first egg 🐣😉.

I shall decide based on what I can catch in the cave on The Day !

How does purchasing from the Market fit within this challenge? Allowed? Within the rules but against the spirit,? Verboten?

Posted (edited)

9 hours ago, Gosling said:

How does purchasing from the Market fit within this challenge? Allowed? Within the rules but against the spirit,? Verboten?

I feel like I've seen this answered before and the answer was market eggs are fine, but I can't find the post now. If someone can tag me with the answer as well it would be appreciated! No luck with vremyas this morning lol.

LOL right after I posted this I got a vremya in the refresh. Going back to sleep but will update my original post with it as my starter dragon at some point today.

Edited by Edenello

Posted (edited)

You HAVE to catch your starter TOMORROW., As in you have to use a CB caught on 5th. You won't be able to use that vremya till it grows up.

Here you go - market eggs are fine.

2 hours ago, Edenello said:

LOL right after I posted this I got a vremya in the refresh. Going back to sleep but will update my original post with it as my starter dragon at some point today.

Why does your group include all your Vremyas ? They might refuse; they aren't in the lineage till they make a baby (except the base one caught on D Day !)

Edited by Fuzzbucket

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

You HAVE to catch your starter TOMORROW., As in you have to use a CB caught on 5th. You won't be able to use that vremya till it grows up.

Here you go - market eggs are fine.

OK, Market eggs are good to use, that's useful to know, thanks! But does the starter dragon have to be caveborn-caveborn (i.e. stolen from the cave) or just caveborn-no parents?

The starter dragon (as in one of the first pair) MUST be stolen or bought tomorrow or later. I don't know how you can have a caveborn that didn't come from the cave - though I suppose Sinos and Scourgekeepers....  But bear in mind you have to create some kind of pattern  - either spiral or stair - and I don't see how you could do that without using CBs/parentless.

I don't think I should answer this actually - @purplehaze ?

47 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The starter dragon (as in one of the first pair) MUST be stolen or bought tomorrow or later. I don't know how you can have a caveborn that didn't come from the cave

What I was wondering was whether Market-bought dragons count as Caveborn, both generally speaking and for the purposes of the initial dragon for this lineage challenge. They don't have parents, so on the lineage page they would look like dragons stolen from the cave, but on their actual page it would say their origin is Market, so they aren't truly from the cave.

However, your response above citing Purplehaze clarified that Market dragons are suitable to be used in this lineage challenge, with PH's quotation specifically saying they are suitable for the starter dragon, so I guess it's a moot point for the purposes of this challenge whether they are truly caveborn or not.

Yes, market dragons count as CB. Now ghat I think I might run with two-headed, I am wondering if Scourgekeepers, count as CB ! That way I could at least be sure of having a two-headed without having to hunt that hard tomorrow !

Oh wait - I guess not; they insta adult. :(

They don't show a stolen on date, so I'd say no.

Seems I missed all of this discussion. XD

Just to clarify:

* Market eggs are fine as starters.

* Scourgekeepers are not. That would give an unfair jump to someone using them. I guess they could be used as the CB in later gens in the lineage, though, although I haven't really thought that through.

Reminder to all who signed up: @04uni, @Bacon, @BlueCanary1, @BringsTheSnow, @Ceylanka, @dinsfire24, @dracornithologist, @Edenello, @End_Dragon, @euphoric_poptarts, @Frej_the_Gold, @Fuzzbucket, @Gosling, @Gwathgor, @LadyMadonna, @Lagie, @Lucy202101, @missy_, @Mistywolf3628, @Razzmatazz2, @rinoa26, @Saintley, @simkim, @trystan, @Zonnedauw

The Challenge starts at midnight cave time tonight! Get ready to grab a starter dragon!

Please do think that through, as at the moment I am looking at a two-headed stair...

4 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Why does your group include all your Vremyas ? They might refuse; they aren't in the lineage till they make a baby (except the base one caught on D Day !)

Oh my god I thought today was Sunday, oops! Looks like I'll be hunting again tomorrow or getting a market egg.

For your second point, I saw other people putting dragons they planned on using in the lineage in their groups before I started putting mine in there, so I figured it was ok? I also am doing a lyrical for my lineage and don't have a lot of dragons to designate as lyrics saver, so have been using the ones I catch to hopefully be a part of the lineage for that. If they refuse I plan on switching names around or taking them out.

Fair enough - it never occurred to me to do that, but I may be alone then !

1 hour ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Please do think that through, as at the moment I am looking at a two-headed stair...

I can't think of a downside to breeding them into the line later. Can you? If your breeding yields a Scourgekeeper it starts as an egg then and matures the same as any other dragon.

My thoughts precisely. Thank you.

Oh wow, somehow I was sure it starts on saturday and bought an egg 🤦‍♀️ Well, no harm in having one Astrael more, I guess, especially since they're not expensive; and the other breed I wanna use is pretty common, I think, so hopefully I'll catch it tomorrow in the cave.

Posted (edited)

Just updated my first post with my starter dragon, 8PtIA. :)

Edited by euphoric_poptarts