FuecocoBoi09

Change Fogged Dragons

(Sorry for 2 requests in order, they were quite different)

My dragon recently died of sickness due to autoadd on Valley Sherwood. I could have them fogged, but I hate the fog sprites cluttering my scroll. So I thought, instead of changing the sprites, it would be an indicator. Like how frozen Hatchies have a snowflake beside them, fogged dragons could have a cloud. This could also apply to sick dragons. The fogged sprite would appear for other users, unless you are friends with them (see my other suggestions)

No support. I can't see any pressing need. You don't have to use auto add in the first place and you can hide your scroll and still get views on some sites.

Tbh, a changed sprite is more likely to let me forget to unfog once the sickness warning goes away.

Although I agree the fog sprite sticks out a bit on the scroll, I think the size of it serves a decent purpose.

Agree with inghelene here, the snowflake indicator is really small and changing fogged indicator to something similar i think poses a significant risk of people forgetting the unfog since, at a glance, all sprites remained normal. I personally isn't against a toggle that allow player who hate the fog to switch to a snowflake-indicator-with-regular-sprite-mode, but I also remember TJ saying not wanting to add more toggles to DC, so if it's only possible to go one way or another than I do not support this.

If the fogged sprite were a relatively new thing, then I think this would be a sound idea but the fogged sprite is so well-established and has been here for so very long that removing it and replacing it with a tiny little symbol is likely to cause far more confusion than not, and I don't think that's a worthy trade-off for people who dislike the sprite when you can just...  Not do the auto-add on sites.  (Or, if you do the auto-add, you can immediately remove the ones you don't want and then update what's in the hatchery--I do that often, myself.)

I don't necessarily support this as I don't have a problem with the fog sprites as they are now, but perhaps a less confusing version of this idea (as far as forgetting to unfog) would be to show the regular egg/hatchling sprite but at a lower opacity?

Edited by Googs

We could have semi-translucent fog sprites instead, that show the hatchie underneath? Only the scroll owner would see through it.

I wouldn't mind changing the transparency of the sprite. Like others said, toggling on and off would probably make me forget I have them fogged anyway. In the future, you can also ward your dragons that are sick.

37 minutes ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

IT WOULD BE A CHOICE I WANT A CHOICE

TJ may not want to make it a toggle, however.  It may be an all or nothing situation.  Therefore, users expressing dislike if the idea gives feedback that "if this is an all or nothing change, this many users would enjoy the change vs this many would not"

1 hour ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

As I said before, if it's a toggle, I'm fine with it because giving other users a choice wouldn't impact how my page look to me. However, from what I know, TJ had said he didn't want to introduce more toggles to DC (i can't find a source but I swear I've read about it somewhere), and if it can't be implemented as a toggle, then no support for the idea from me, because I would hate to have the current fog setting changed

and a suggestion - if you're suggesting this as a choice/toggle, maybe state clearly in the original post (you can edit it) and title, because I can't tell from reading the original post and title that it's a toggle-able choice vs a complete change of fogging sprite for everyone should it be implemented. Perhaps add something like "this should be implemented as a toggle-able choice, so if you'd like to keep the current fog sprite you can too" as a second paragraph to this first post so that people don't get confused about what exactly you're suggesting, as people evidently are assuming you meant full on change with the current context provided.

Edited by Moriaty

10 hours ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

I saw that it would be a choice. I was noting that I would prefer a transparent sprite over the toggle option regardless. 

I think making it a change that you don’t have a choice between would be more detrimental to myself and other users than just ‘finding lil fog clouds (that you can remove at any time) on your scroll visually irksome? 🤔 

as for having a choice between normally fogging and a ‘smaller cloud😩’ that sounds like you’re just suggesting ‘make work’ for TJ…..

you know, like something just to give him more work to do on something that isn’t a problem or issue with the game, and sounds like it would be more of a negative change than a positive one…. Even if it were just an option, or ‘choice’.

just seems to me kinda like a waste of time and either an added complication or outright ruining a function that works. 🤷‍♀️ 

It just seems pretty simple to me.

If [toggle] = 0 and fogged = 1

then dragsprite = fogcloud

if [toggle] = 1 and fogged = 1

then descriptor = egg/hatchling (fogcloud)

The thing is none of us have any idea how the behind-the-scenes coding works.

From what I understand toggles are typically more complex to include and introduce more ways for something to break?  Like in general.  All sorts of games and sites like to complain that a toggle is too complicated (even when not having a toggle effectively makes their website inaccessible from a disability standpoint, much less from a "users just like different things" standpoint), so I assume it's not actually super simple to do especially after the fact when you'd he adding a toggle in (vs building it from the ground up with the toggle in mind from the start)

Like don't get me wrong, I love when toggles are included!  But this seems like a relatively minor issue that is ultimately about personal taste, so it'd make more sense (IMO) for TJ to spend his time and effort on other changes that have a greater impact on the userbase.

Lots of things that sound simple to us aren't so behind the scenes. One came up recently. @FuecocoBoi09 you can hide your scroll when you don't want views. That choice you already have. You can also be very careful when adding eggs to fan sites. That too is a choice. But like someone else has said, TJ has said he wants no more toggles, and it's his game, one for which I for one am very grateful.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

22 hours ago, FuecocoBoi09 said:

You can choose not to autoadd your dragons on valleysherwood, it has the on/off button

like others said, I really don’t see why a possible site-lagging mechanism has to be introduced when you have the choice of adding/not adding your eggs to a hatchery site 

I don't hate the idea of the fog sprite being applied over the original at a lower opacity - it's not the hardest thing in the world to code, and it's sometimes a right pain in the butt remembering what's what when everything is a grey haze - but I'm agreed with the others that the fog is too well estabished to just change completely. If you just don't like the way it looks, that's a personal preference and something I'm afraid you're just going to have to live with. Most players don't really have to see the fogged sprite too often anyway.

Edited by _Charky

To check quickly, just go to scroll sort. Shows everything. 

Just because someone wants a choice doesn't necessarily mean they should get it.

I'll agree with the "maybe make the fog slightly see through" suggestion, but not removing the fog sprite entirely. It would suck to check your stuff and completely blank unfogging that one special egg/hatchie because our fogball is now just a teeny tiny sprite by the derg in question, and hen you check later and find it dead because you never unfogged it because it didn't look fogged.  The fogball is supposed to be in your face to remind you that it is there, so that you attend to it. If it's not in your face, it doesn't look as important.

So for this suggestion, I'll have to also say no. And this is coming from someone who raises a lot of shimmerscales, who love to get sick at hatching time so my scroll gets full of fogballs, stubborn little brats.  It's just part of life for me.