Little-Star

250 Book Challenge 2023-2024

Book Number: 55

Number of Pages: 267

Book Title: Twisted Graves

Author: Kennedy Layne

Summary: Phoebe lost her older sister at the age of seventeen, but that's fine, since she can still see her. 

Review: 5/5 A book about a podcast? I like podcasts, so... yeah. Phoebe and Chloe's friendship is adorable!

Book Number: 56

Number of Pages: 249

Book Title: Delicate Graves

Author: Kennedy Layne

Summary: Another season on the podcast? Phoebe and Chloe find themselves hiking to a hollow that house a banshee. 

Review: 5/5 Alright. This one was good too! Now I have to wait for April for the third book! I am not patient enough for this...

Book Number: 57

Number of Pages: 300

Book Title: A Dark Roux

Author: Blaine Daigle

Summary: Fifteen years after Rhiannon and Rhett are sent to live with a family friend, their mother passes away, and the house she lived in is haunted by something. 

Review: 5/5 I've read a book by this author before, and he's so good at descriptions. The novel pulls you into it, into a family fraught with death and decay. And the Louisiana bayou, complete with voodoo happenings. 

Book Number: 169
Number Of Pages: 396
Book Title: A Curse Dark as Gold
Author: Elizabeth C Bunce

Book Number: 170
Number Of Pages: 432
Book Title: Delicate Condition
Author: Danielle Valentine

Book Number: 49

Number Of Pages: 123

Book Title: The Book Shop

Author: Penelope Fitzgerald

Summary: In 1959, widow Florence Green opens a book shop in the small town of Hardborough.

Book Number: 49

Number Of Pages: 230

Book Title: Les Contes Interdits : Krampus

Author: David Bédard

Book Number: 50

Number Of Pages: 302

Book Title: Midnight at the Christmas Bookshop

Author: Jenny Colgan

Summary: The bookshop is chosen as the set for a film but will that be enough to keep the shop afloat?

Book Number: 50

Number Of Pages: 246

Book Title: Fangasm : Supernatural Fangirls

Author: Lynn S Zubernis and Katherine Larsen 

Book Number: 171
Number Of Pages: 306
Book Title: Revealed
Author: PC Cast, Kristin Cast

Book Number: 172
Number Of Pages: 310
Book Title: Redeemed
Author: PC Cast, Kristin Cast

Book Number: 173
Number Of Pages: 571
Book Title: The 4-Hour Body
Author: Timothy Ferriss

Book Number: 26

Number of Pages: 334

Book Title: The First Eagle

Author: Tony Hillerman

Summary: When Acting Lt. Jim Chee catches a Hopi poacher huddled over a dead Navajo Tribal police officer, he has an open-and-shut case -- or does he?

Review:  I picked up this book because I had read one earlier by the author's daughter, Anne, who picked up the series after his death. This is the 13th in the Leaphorn and Chee series, but it stands alone well. The characters are well-developed, but I didn't particularly enjoy the story line. It does evoke beautiful images of the American Southwest, though.

Book Number: 51

Number Of Pages: 388

Book Title: An Island Wedding

Summary: Flora and Joel finally make plans for a wedding, but things on Mure never go quite to plan.

Book Number: 51

Number Of Pages: 342

Book Title: Voices in the Snow (Black Winter book 1)

Author: Darcy Coates

Book Number: 52

Number Of Pages: 335

Book Title: The Summer Skies

Summary: Morag is a third-generation pilot trying to recover from a traumatic flight. Instead of flying to Dubai with her new boyfriend, Morag finds herself returning home to Scotland to fly her grandfather's plane.

Book Number: 11

Number Of Pages: 363

Book Title: War of the Seasons, Book 1: The Human

Author: Janine K. Spendlove

Summary: Story is a 17-year-old girl who finds herself mysteriously transported to another world: a world without humans, a world with elves, dryads, faeries, and selkies. Why was she brought there? More importantly, how will she find her way back home?

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 273

Book Title: Welcome to the School by the Sea

Summary: Maggie starts a new teaching job at Downey House, a boarding school for girls in Cornwall.

Book Number: 174
Number Of Pages: 302 
Book Title: Cursed Beauty
Author: M Lynn

Book Number: 175
Number Of Pages: 411
Book Title: The Eternal Ones
Author: Kirsten Miller

Book Number: 176
Number Of Pages: 423
Book Title: All You Desire
Author: Kirsten Miller

Book Number: 177
Number Of Pages: 384
Book Title: Lying in the Deep
Author: Diana Urban

Book Number: 58

Number of Pages: 226

Book Title: The Seventh Bride

Author: T. Kingfisher

Summary: A young miller's daughter is set to marry a Lord, but he already has six other wives...

Review: 5/5 Never having read a T. Kingfisher novel, I found this one to be completely whimsical and fun. It was a good novel to end January on and made me appreciate the author as someone other than a name I saw occasionally while looking for something to read. 

Book Number: 59

Number of Pages: 344

Book Title: The Body at Auercliff

Author: Amy Cross

Summary: At 12, Rebecca Wallace found herself closed up in a mausoleum on her aunt's property, but now in her early 30s she's determined to find the truth behind what happened. 

Review: 5/5 Rebecca shares my name, and I like that. lol. The book is fun, easy to read, rather quick to get through with just enough twists and spooks to keep you coming back to Auercliff. 

Book Number: 60

Number of Pages: 330

Book Title: Hester

Author: Laurie Lico Albanese

Summary: Isobel is descended from a witch, or so she's been told, but arriving in America with a poppy addicted husband only a couple of hundred years after the Salem witch trials may not be the best idea. That or meeting the young Nathanial Hathorne...

Review: 5/5 Favorite book of the year! It's an answer to the question of what inspired Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter, and boy is it a great read!

Book Number: 52

Number Of Pages: 204

Book Title: Le Serviteur des Glaces

Author: Sylvain Johnson

Book Number: 54

Number Of Pages: 267

Book Title: Rules at the School by the Sea

Summary: Maggie's second year at Downey Hall is just as eventful as her first.

Book Number: 55

Number Of Pages: 287

Book Title: Lessons at the School by the Sea

Summary: Maggie's third year teaching is equally busy but fun in spite of its challenges.

Book Number: 56

Number Of Pages: 140

Book Title: Lady and the Tramp

Author: Elizabeth Rudnick

Summary: Lady is the beloved pet of Darling and Jim Dear but life changes when a baby is born.

Book Number: 27

Number Of Pages: 415

Book Title: The Last Letter From Juliet

Author: Melanie Hudson

Summary: This story follows two women. The daring Juliet Caron, a World War Two pilot who lives a life full of adventure and love and Katherine Henderson a grieving widow trying to rebuild her life and self.

Review: I loved this book. The characters seemed very real and very engaging. It is set in the present time, but we learn about Juliet's past through letters that she wrote to keep her memories alive.  And what memories -- war, adventure, danger, love, and loss.

Book Number: 178
Number Of Pages: 352
Book Title: The Seer and the Sword
Author: Victoria Hanley

Book Number: 179
Number Of Pages: 168
Book Title: Flirting with Sunshine
Author: J Sterling

Book Number: 180
Number Of Pages: 189
Book Title: Summer Lovin’
Author: J Sterling

Book Number: 57

Number Of Pages: 359

Book Title: The Loveliest Chocolate Shop in Paris

Summary: After an accident at the chocolate factory where she works, Anna Trent is given the opportunity to travel to France.

Book Number: 58

Number Of Pages: 263

Book Title: Devilish

Author: Maureen Johnson

Summary: Jane and her best friend Allison start to drift apart after Allison sells her soul to a ... demon.

Book Number: 61

Number of Pages: 186

Book Title: Naruto: Kakashi's Story--Lightning in the Frozen Sky

Author: Akira Higashiyama/Masashi Kishimoto

Summary: Kakashi has to decide if he's ready to become the next leader of his village, even while fighting in the newly created flying ship. 

Review: 4/5 So I read all of the Naruto manga, all of the Boruto novels and finally now... I'm on the light novels. I've only read this one and two others, and this one was the weakest for me of the three. Kakashi just translates better in a graphic novel type form. 

Book Number: 62

Number of Pages: 160

Book Title: Naruto: Shikamaru's Story-- A Cloud Drifting in the Silent Dark 

Author: Takayashi Yona/Masashi Kishimoto

Summary: Shikamaru tries to find out what it means to be an adult, even if that's a total drag...

Review: 5/5 Favorite of the three light novels, and I just adore Shikamaru so... it's an easy 5 for me. 

Book Number: 63

Number of Pages: 160

Book Title: Naruto: Sakura's Story-- Love Riding on the Spring Breeze

Author: Tomohito Ohsaki/Masashi Kishimoto

Summary: Sakura finds herself in a bit of a delimma merely three years after the end of the Fourth Great War.

Review: 4.5/5 This one was fun too! I love how Sakura defeats the final baddie by herself with no help from the boys. It's so satisfying as a fan. 

I know these are super duper short, but they're light novels for a reason. lol. If you like Naruto as a manga/anime, these were fun to read. 

Book Number: 12

Number Of Pages: 309

Book Title: War of the Seasons, Book 2: The Half-Blood

Author: Janine K. Spendlove

Summary: Story sets off on an ill-advised quest to save her beloved elf, Eirnin, from the poison that is slowly killing him. Little does she know the fate of all worlds hangs in the balance.

Book Number: 28

Number of Pages: 370

Book Title: The Other Mothers

Author: Katherine Faulkner

Summary: A tale of murder, class, and motherhood in an exclusive London community.

Review: A cast of thoroughly detestable characters whose dark deeds hide behind a glamorous exterior. I liked no one in this book, but the plot twists kept me reading.

Book Number: 59

Number Of Pages: 514

Book Title: Meet Me Under the Clock

Author: Annie Murray

Summary: During the Second World War, sisters Sylvia and Audrey experience life and love.

Book Number: 53

Number Of Pages: 346

Book Title: Interview With the Vampire

Author: Anne Rice