Little-Star

250 Book Challenge 2023-2024

~* The 250 Book Challenge *~

What it says in the title! I challenge you to read 250 books in a year. Think you can do it? Get reading!

The Rules:

1. You have between August 1st 2023 (00:00am DC time), and July 31st 2024 (at 11:59pm DC time) to read 250 books. There are smaller milestones for those of us who can't/won't reach the 250 mark, and to help participants feel like they're getting somewhere.

2. You can join at any time during the year, but you still only have until July 31st 2023 to reach the target! You can start straight away, we'll try and add you as soon as possible, if you've been left off the list or your username is misspelled, feel free to shoot me a PM or just say it on this thread.

3. Books that you've read and finished before your join date do not count, even if you join after August 1st. (E.g. you join on 3rd Sept - you can only count books from 3rd September onwards).

4. Reply to this thread once you've finished a book with the code below. You can, if you like, give a short review and/or a rating, but please don't reveal spoilers as others may not have read it.

5. If you've just started a book, or are half way through one when you begin the challenge, then that will count towards your total.

6. The only books that do not count are textbooks, or books with less than 100 pages. So you can read children books (provided they meet the 100 page mark), young adult, biographies etc. Any genre is accepted. Manga is only accepted if it's 500 pages or more. Online unpublished fiction (not fanfiction) is allowed if it has 20,000 words or more (please post the link to the story and the number of words, however if the story could be considered unsuitable for minors post the link via PM).

7. Re-reads count, though I would prefer it if you label them as such (just for the records). Each time you re-read a book it counts as a point.

8. Participants are listed below, with their current book count next to their usernames.

9. There is no way to prove or disprove you've read the books you say you have, so please, I ask that you be honest (^^) I will, however usually check the page length of books - someone's gotta keep an eye on you lot!

10. Get reading and have fun! *shoos you*

11.  You can write a summary of the book you read but it has to be in less than 100 words, but more than 10 words. It's not mandatory but it would be nice if you do. 

[b]Book Number:[/b]
[b]Number Of Pages:[/b]
[b]Book Title:[/b]
[b]Author:[/b]
[b]Summary:[/b] (optional)
[b]Rating:[/b] (optional)
[b]Review:[/b] (optional)

Example:

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages:500

Book Title: Go Dog Go!

Author: P.D. Eastman

Summary: This book entails a story of a dog that runs, the dog is the main character of this story and the author expresses how the dogs feels beautiful. (Never read this book before in my life; but you catch my drift)

Rating: 5/5

Review: --

Many people got busy over the duration of the challenge, so to help new budding readers when you reach one of our milestones they will be a graphic given to you marking your commitment.

Milestones

FAQ

Q: My name/full book number is not on the list.

A: Everything after an update won't be on the list until the next update. However, if there has been an update and you notice something is still missing, either repost or PM me.

Q: Can I post books even though I'm not on the list yet?

A: If you posted a sign up post, you can start counting books as soon as you finish them.

Q: Can I count comic books when they have less than 500 pages but are part of a series?

A: In this case, if you can reach 500 pages by adding several books of the same series, it will count. Example of what you can post as the title: The Walking Dead vol. 1-4.

Q: What counts as a re-read?

A: Any book that you've read more than once during the challenge.

Edited by Little-Star

Participants and book total 

AstridBeatrix 20

Asymdoll 80

Autumnbrandolyn 199

Edenello 3

Gizmohihi 3

Lagie 78

Littleironhorse 1

Little-Star 68

purplehaze 37

Purpledragonclaw 16

Stormcaller 13

Trebonth 0

Zonnedauw 0

Participant and book total of 2022-2023 

AsymDoll13 98

autumnbrandolyn 300

Chaos Rider 2

Cheesecake_Raccoon 11

Gizmohihi 2

Lagie 121

Little-Star 87

Purpledragonclaw 15

purplehaze 60

Stormcaller 55

Edited by Little-Star

I'm in! :) 

I've been looking forward to this since I noticed the 2022-2023 thread a couple of weeks ago!

23 hours ago, autumnbrandolyn said:

Woo!! Count me in please. This has been the best thing for my reading goals ❤️

12 hours ago, Little-Star said:

@autumnbrandolyn you should hide your post and repost a new one 

Wow that's really weird because there was definitely a second post above my response so I don't know why the order is swapped now.

10 hours ago, autumnbrandolyn said:

Wow that's really weird because there was definitely a second post above my response so I don't know why the order is swapped now.

That was Lagie's who deleted it

Please count me in! ;)

*leaves brownies for everyone*

Definitely in again! This has really encouraged me to do more reading.

I shall be in. I have a small miniature library at home.

It is August 1 and I just finished a book. Does that count for this challenge even though I read most of it in July?

Thanks, @Little-Star! That's what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I posted. :)

Book Number: 1

Number of Pages: 313

Book Title: A Welcome At Our Door

Author: Amy Clipston

Summary: Cindy Riehl has felt alienated from her Amish community and her family ever since her mother died in a tragic accident 7 years ago. Then she meets the handsome Englisher who works as a farmhand at the farm next door. Drew has experienced losses of his own and soon a close bond is formed between the two. Can the love they are feeling for each other survive and grow as they are faced with the disapproval and hostility of her family?

Review: I enjoy reading books about the Amish culture. This book is the fourth in a series, but there was no sense of coming in in the middle of the story. It stood well on its own but left me wanting to go back and read the other three to get the backstory of each of the characters and learn more about them.

Edited by purplehaze

3 hours ago, purplehaze said:

It is August 1 and I just finished a book. Does that count for this challenge even though I read most of it in July?

It counts for this one as it wasn't finish before the deadline of last year challenge

Number Of Pages: 400
Book Title: A Secret Princess
Author: Margaret Stohl, Melissa de la Cruz

Book Number: 2
Number Of Pages: 352
Book Title: Break My Heart 1,000 Times
Author: Daniel Waters

mom's been in the hospital which sucks but at least there's plenty of time for reading

Number Of Pages: 321

Book Title: Les Légendes d'Ashur-Sin : Cinn (book 6/7)

Author: Anne Robillard

I'm a little late but may I join in? I don't know if I'll have time for all 250 in a year but I want to try my best!

25 minutes ago, Edenello said:

I'm a little late but may I join in? I don't know if I'll have time for all 250 in a year but I want to try my best!

not late at all, it started 3 days ago and people can join whenever they want to :P

Edited by Little-Star

Book Number: 1

Number Of Pages: 388

Book Title: The Last Anniversary

Author: Liane Moriarty

Summary: The 'Munroe Baby Mystery' put Scribbly Gum on the tourist map, but when Sophie moves into Connie's house, she finds there's a lot more going on than meets the eye.

Book Number: 3
Number Of Pages: 272
Book Title: From a Distant Star
Author: Karen McQuestion

Book Number: 4
Number Of Pages: 351
Book Title: Whisper Me This
Author: Kerry Anne King

Number of Pages: 442

Book Title: The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

Author: V.E. Schwab

Book Number: 5
Number Of Pages: 439
Book Title: Run, Rose, Run
Author: Dolly Parton, James Patterson

Book Number: 6
Number Of Pages: 177
Book Title:Believe Me
Author: Taherah Mafi

Number Of Pages: 384

Book Title: Kill the Farmer Boy

Author: Delilah S. Dawson, Kevin Hearne

Summary: A farmer boy and his talking goat set out on an adventure right after the farmer boy is told he is the "Chosen One" by a pixie. The book follows the goat, a fighter in a chainmail bikini who doesn't want to kill people, a bunny bard, a terrible assassin who is afraid of chickens, and the alleged "Dark Lord" who loves cheese. The whole book pokes fun at a lot of fantasy tropes and contains a lot of puns.

Rating: 6/10

Review: It was an enjoyable read, though if you don't like satire it may not be for you. It also started to drag on near the end of the book due to splitting up the characters and having a chapter from each of their perspectives. The humor is definitely not for everyone, and some of the jokes did start to get old by the end of the book.

Number Of Pages: 165

Book Title: Soul Lanterns

Author: Shaw Kuzki

Summary: A historical fiction about a group of middle school students in Hiroshima, Japan creating art pieces for a show about "Hiroshima: Then and Now," by asking their relatives and neighbors for stories about the atomic bomb.

Rating: 10/10

Review: Made me cry a little. It may be short but it is very good and deals with a very heavy topic very well.

Edited by Edenello
typo, added book 2

Number of Pages: 349

Book Title: The Sweetness of Forgetting

Author: Kristin Harmel

Summary: This book tells a story about a holocaust survivor who is losing her memory to Alzheimer's. Mamie was born in France but now lives in Cape Cod. She has passed treasured recipes down to her granddaughter, Hope, who runs a local bakery. One day in a rare moment of clarity, Mamie hands Hope a note with some names of people and asks her to go to Paris to find them. Hope learns that everything she thought she knew about her grandmother is wrong and nothing is as it has seemed.

Review: This is not light reading. I cried more than once while reading it. It recalls many of the horrors of the Holocaust and the Nazi occupation of Paris, but also the courage of those who endured during those times. It was also a story of steadfast love and hope. The characters are well-developed and I really cared what happened to them. I was totally engrossed in this story.

8 hours ago, purplehaze said:

Review: This is not light reading.

Kristin Harmel's books are excellent, but, yes, traumatic reads. Have you read The Forest of Vanishing Stars?

Book Number: 2

Number Of Pages: 327

Book Title: Nights of Rain and Stars

Author: Maeve Binchy

Summary: Four strangers from four different countries are united by a tragedy in a small Greek village.

3 hours ago, Lagie said:

Kristin Harmel's books are excellent, but, yes, traumatic reads. Have you read The Forest of Vanishing Stars?

No, this was the first of her books that I had read, but it won't be the last.