Skadi

Differentiate Sonatas in Market with Text

So the sonatas are available in the market, and that's cool. However, some people have eyesight issues that they've already discussed in the release thread. It might be helpful to label the color of Sonatas similar to how Xemowyrm breeds are labeled.

I'd also see an argument for coppers having this. But the blue and silver Sonata can look very similar depending on the screen. My beautiful high resolution monitor shows the difference fine, but my phone isn't as colorful. For those without trained eyes or with vision issues, this small change could help them.

Edited by Skadi

Helpful hint: they're sorted in alphabetical order so it's Sonata (blue), Sonata (gold), Sonata (silver)

3 hours ago, MoonlitEevee said:

Helpful hint: they're sorted in alphabetical order so it's Sonata (blue), Sonata (gold), Sonata (silver)

I don't think this is a suitable replacement for an otherwise innocuous accessibility feature, though. Someone who doesn't see your forum post won't know this.

I support this. I use dark mode on my phone, but it's very hard to see the difference on lighter backgrounds. I don't think it would hurt anything since all three variants can be gotten in the market. 

Seems like a good idea. I know the Sonatas don't have different breed entries like Xenos, but surely it would be possible to add the color names to just the market. 

This is a great idea, and I similarly support it. Accessibility is important especially if there are potential windows of time where all three are purchasable at once.

Would the names Sonata (Aurax), Sonata (Cirion), and Sonata (Eclipse) be reasonable for this?

Thanks!

As a person with bad vision, I support. I had a tough time telling the two apart side by side.

I have no trouble telling them apart side-by-side, but if I only see one at a time (which might happen at some point in the market) it is very difficult for me to know which it is.

At any rate, I think it is important to consider those who have vision problems when possible.

Full support.

I agree! Especially depending on contrast of a screen and surrounding lighting it's also hard for me, and I usually have rather good eyesight!

I like that idea.

I think that's a good idea.  I mean, it already does that for Lumina and Lumina (Dark) as well as the Xenos.

Actually, I think a step further would be good--differentiate all color variants in the market.  Including ones like the Lunar Heralds and Fire Gems which only have one variant in the market at a time--if you don't remember which variant is dropping and you can't tell what color they are due to vision issues it's not helpful to just "look" at them and see which you can buy at that time.  But at the very least for all dragons that have more than one color variant available to purchase at once.

I support this. I bought four blue eggs in the Market thinking they were silver ...

I support labeling all variations in the market, but especially the Sonatas. If they aren't all available in the market at the same time, you can't rely on alphabetical sorting or comparing the blue and silver side by side to be sure of what you're getting. If you're spending shards on something, you should be able to know 100% what you are buying.

Support. I wouldn't have thought about this and this made me think about other things we neglected other people's issues due to not having the same issue ourselves. Thanks for bringing this up.

100% support this idea. I have great colour vision but even I can't distinguish between the blue and silver unless I've got one of each side by side to compare it. In my view of the market right now, they're on separate lines, and I had to triple check to make sure I was actually clicking on the silver one. 😅

15 hours ago, birdzgoboom said:

This is a great idea, and I similarly support it. Accessibility is important especially if there are potential windows of time where all three are purchasable at once.

Would the names Sonata (Aurax), Sonata (Cirion), and Sonata (Eclipse) be reasonable for this?

Thanks!

Any differentiation would be fine! Lore or color would be fair, since you can use the wiki or the encyclopedia to know the differences. Since we do use the Lore names for Xenos and not color names, I think lore names for the Sonatas would make sense.

Support! I love the idea of using "Cirion" "Aurax" and "Eclipse" as the differentiators, it does mean knowing a bit about the lore that isn't necessarily broad knowledge for the players outside the forums (it's easy to find knowledge but you do have to look for it, I can see players just never clicking the time link in-site because they don't know it has stuff to see), but that kind of thing feels a lot more in line with how dc at large works. A little hint of mystery that you understand better with more lore knowledge, but not one that takes advantage of player struggles totally outside of our control, like colour blindness and/or general vision problems. Exploring a little mystery is very different from just straight up not being able to tell what you're buying/catching.

(it also occurs to me that the lore knowledge isn't actually necessary to that either, players would just have to learn that Cirion is the blue, Aurax is the gold, and Eclipse is the silver. Heck, without lore context I can easily see those being used as the actual names of the variants)

Tldr: big support, I like lore XD

Definitely considering this, but to be clear, the market currently uses names from the encyclopedia. There isn't currently a way to differentiate alts within a given encyclopedia breed—but there can be.

And don't worry, this isn't a call for people to suggest ways to make that work. I just want to set clear expectations that it's not "open a file and type '(Eclipse)' next to 'Sonata Dragon'."

Ah, that makes sense!  Thanks for the insight into how it works and that it's not off the table entirely, even if it requires more than a quick change!

I didn't even think about the possibility of the Market being directly linked to the Encyclopaedia XD But it does make sense. Thanks TJ ^-^