MoonStormSong

Add Confirmation for Egg Stealing

I personally think there should be a confirmation button for stealing eggs from the cave or abandoned pile. Especially on mobile, it's uncomfortably easy to steal an egg that you don't actually want. Especially when it's from the cave, you can't abandon it but killing it isn't any use either.

Generally, I think there should be something that allows you to confirm that you actually DO want the egg clicked.

Sorry but that really IS OTT nannying. Also it could easily mean that you lose the egg you did want because someone else was faster. No support for this - you only have to wit 5 hours to discard a misclick, and in the AP, you can discard at once..

...yeah I don't think this is going to get any support. Cave eggs are widely spaced, abandoned eggs are immediately abandonable, and adding a confirmation adds more ways to mess up grabbing an egg you actually want when catching rares is already very cutthroat.

No to this. I don't want to catch a rare, only to miss it just because I took too long to click yes on the confirmation notice. 

Edited by ylangylang

Not support because seem that it might be unfair to the mobile users? When people using a desktop they can easily confirm it by using Enter, but in mobile they need to move their finger to the confirmation button and click it. That is enough to let you missing a rare egg... and more actions means annoying, especially in the holidays people might need to get several hundred eggs and than throw them back to AP.☠️

Edited by D-wing

No support, sorry. I'm under the impression that just thinking about whether or not to click the egg is enough of a buffer as it is. Plus, it would slow down the gameplay.

No, thank you. As others have said, it adds extra time to hunting. Also, what's to stop users from clicking no every time they click an egg that isn't the variant they want or the code they want or the rarity they want--just to get around the 5 hour limit?

What happens when a user clicks no? Do the eggs disappear? Do they reshuffle? Do they sit?

How would this really help on mobile? I misclick mates when breeding on mobile, too. I don't think confirmation is really going to change my phone loading time or sensitivity.

Agree with others. I don't think the whole concept of the biomes (and AP, to a lesser extent) would ever allow for a confirmation. The whole point is 'first come first serve', clicking faster than others, and especially during new releases and holidays even a half-second can mean the difference between getting an egg or not. Adding a confirmation would mean completely altering that entire concept and make it even harder to actually *get* the eggs!

nope!

hunting eggs is hard enough without having another step involved anywhere in any shape or form..

if you misclick, its just tough, we've all have to suck up the odd misclick over the years 🙃 :) 

no support 😕

while i understand how much it sucks to misclick on mobile, this would make it especially annoying for those on PC. even if moving the mouse doesn’t take “that long”, it’s still enough time for someone else to snatch whatever it is from you. even if it’s just a common! 

this would make it unfair to pc and even some mobile players and would make it tedious to play for someone with not the greatest reaction time for one reason or another.. and trust me, i’ve missed my fair share of shinies on both pc AND mobile!

Honestly, I just can't envision how this would even work, so my objection is really entirely on a practical side of things.  (Like, I don't care about it being too hand-holdy or whatever, I just can't see how this would mechanically work in a way that's not a massive pain to players and TJ alike)

If you're brought to a new screen where you can look at the egg and decide, that entirely defeats the purpose of the mystery appearance in the cave so I imagine you'd just get an on-screen "are you sure" popup which, while it would give you pause if you knew you misclicked, would not help you make sure you actually wanted the egg.

That said, what happens when you click the egg?  Does it go into a sort of limbo state where nobody else can grab it until you make a decision?  How long do you get?  It would be extremely unfair if you could tie up an egg indefinitely by opening it in a new tab or something thus blocking anybody else from grabbing it while you make your decision.  What if you take so long that the eggs have refreshed?  If you say "no" does it get thrown back into the cycle?  Does it just get deleted as if nobody picked it up?

Would the egg still be available to others?  Then you run the risk of hitting confirm only to be told "lol you took too long, somebody else got it" which kind of defeats the purpose of making sure you want the egg.  It would also encourage not bothering to actually pay attention to the message because if you actually take the time to decide then odds are you won't get it anyway because somebody else will.

It also seems like it's designed to avoid the 5-hour dump period restriction, which is there for a reason (keeps people from rapid-cycling the cave to hunt for specific things without limit).  Yeah the 5 hours can be annoying, but it's not like you're stuck with it for days on end.  And if it's from the AP it's ultra easy to just dump it right back and go back to hunting--heck, you have to check your AP catches anyway if you're hunting CBs or for lineages that you like the look of instead of just looking to grab anything of a breed.

Yeah, misclicks aren't fun--happens to me all the time.  A fair chunk of eggs that I toss in a group to dump later are "oh, crap, I didn't mean to click that..." so I can very much understand where you're coming from about it!  But I just can't really see a practical way to make this work that wouldn't be either unfair to other users, or a hassle for everybody--players and TJ alike.

Edited by KageSora

No support here either - but to run the risk of slight off-topic, I think the problem you're encountering that led to this desire would be much better solved by lowering or removing the abandon cooldown on fresh-caught eggs.

Anyways yes, as has been quite sufficiently explained before me, the cons of this vastly outweigh the pros imho

21 hours ago, StarlightLion said:

No support here either - but to run the risk of slight off-topic, I think the problem you're encountering that led to this desire would be much better solved by lowering or removing the abandon cooldown on fresh-caught eggs.

No thanks - that would mean everyone playing the dorsal/ridgewing/sunstone lottery would simply be able to flood the AP with the ones they didn't want.

On 9/29/2022 at 11:28 PM, KageSora said:

I just can't see how this would mechanically work in a way that's not a massive pain to players and TJ alike

I think that's because it wouldn't. A firm no support from me too. Unless, of course, it was optional- but that's even more work to implement.

Edited by _Charky

As a mobile user myself, no support. If I accidentally click on an egg, I sometimes don't mind waiting or if I'm impatient about it, I have plenty of vamps (most of the time end up killing the egg which means waiting 24 hours instead)

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

No thanks - that would mean everyone playing the dorsal/ridgewing/sunstone lottery would simply be able to flood the AP with the ones they didn't want.

The AP is already flooded with eggs people don't want. The reason this isn't a problem is because the AP timers are lower than in the cave. Things in the AP actually get picked up, pretty much with guarantee, even if they're undesirable - that's why doing little floods actually helps the ratios. (i.e. if people started dropping more purple dorsals in the AP, the red dorsals would become more common in the cave, etc.)

I regularly pick up two-headed dragons, drakes and pygmies from the cave just to dump them to the AP, knowing someone will be happy to find a caveborn there that's got less time on it than other stuff. (Why those? Because people are more reluctant to pick them up - they can't be potentially repulsed, since the vampire BSA doesn't work on them. I don't raise non-release dragons any more, so I might as well do my best to help fix ratios.)

Similarly with the lottery eggs (not that I see enough of those to imagine what I would 'flood' with!) - I pick them up hoping for the version that's less popular, toss it to the AP if it is the less popular variant, or give it away in the DC Community Notice Board if it is the popular one.

I've said before that five hours cooldown is too much; to most of anyone with a 40 hour work week and a commute, this means that on workdays it might as well be a 24 hour cooldown, which is excessive. One or two hours should be plenty. Heck, even something as low as 20 minutes serves as discouragement from just loading up on eggs you don't want to keep to get at the ones behind them.

7 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

I've said before that five hours cooldown is too much; to most of anyone with a 40 hour work week and a commute, this means that on workdays it might as well be a 24 hour cooldown, which is excessive.

Actually if one can't manage a 5 hour cooldown, that morphing into 24 hours doesn't change anything - you have to come back later either way.  and if work hours are that tight - it would very possibly apply to any cooldown. Just for the record.

54 minutes ago, pinkgothic said:

I've said before that five hours cooldown is too much; to most of anyone with a 40 hour work week and a commute, this means that on workdays it might as well be a 24 hour cooldown, which is excessive. 

Weirdly enough, this is the why I don't mind how long the cool down is. For someone with work, school, and a good amount of sibling duty, I don't have as much time anymore to hunt the cave or watch the cool down on the eggs as well. But to me the busy life means that time flies by so when I'm finally able to check again, I can abandon it! (The actual suggestion is a no for me though as well)

12 hours ago, pinkgothic said:

The AP is already flooded with eggs people don't want. The reason this isn't a problem is because the AP timers are lower than in the cave. Things in the AP actually get picked up, pretty much with guarantee, even if they're undesirable - that's why doing little floods actually helps the ratios. (i.e. if people started dropping more purple dorsals in the AP, the red dorsals would become more common in the cave, etc.)

Exactly this. Except for rares and the three species that I obsessively hoard, all of my caveborn acquisitions come from the AP anyway. I don't want to hold onto commons with their full time left when I can hold those eggslots for rares and I can pick up hatchable or incuhatchable caveborns from the AP. I'd actually much prefer a lower or removed cooldown so that the AP can be filled even more with cycled eggs. And honestly, I think that being able to cycle eggs like that would help alleviate the problems we're seeing with only having eighteen eggs total visible at any one time for the in excess of 200 dragon species we now have.

I always figures the cool down was less "prevent the AP from being flooded" and more "prevent a handful of people from rapidly cycling the cave to snap up the rares"

By being forced to wait 5 hours (unless you can get a vampire repulse) a handful of players can't decimate every single drop by grabbing everything and dumping it to the AP while they try and snap up the most desired eggs for themselves.

Good luck catching ANY common you want out of the cave instead of the AP at that point.  (Wonder how that would mess with sapphires?  Would they be kept as blue?  Or would the AP see a lot more CB pinks as people grab and dump?)

That's a good point actually - one I hadn't considered since I'm a player who has a lot of time to spend on hunting as is. For Sapphires specifically, the Market might serve as a good stopgap to maintain the blues, though I admit that I have mixed feelings about the Market as an alternative to hunting instead of what I think was the intended use of giving players a chance to save up shards for those hard-to-get caveborns. (the scarcity of shards only becomes a problem when the Market is serving past its intended capacity as it is right now, but that's a different thread).

That in mind, the five hour cooldown isn't that bad. Perhaps we could get a new tier of trophy or something to increase eggslots XD That said, it's definitely more of an "I would like this for my own personal benefit" thing rather than being something the game needs.

6 minutes ago, StarlightLion said:

That's a good point actually - one I hadn't considered since I'm a player who has a lot of time to spend on hunting as is. For Sapphires specifically, the Market might serve as a good stopgap to maintain the blues, though I admit that I have mixed feelings about the Market as an alternative to hunting instead of what I think was the intended use of giving players a chance to save up shards for those hard-to-get caveborns. (the scarcity of shards only becomes a problem when the Market is serving past its intended capacity as it is right now, but that's a different thread).

That in mind, the five hour cooldown isn't that bad. Perhaps we could get a new tier of trophy or something to increase eggslots XD That said, it's definitely more of an "I would like this for my own personal benefit" thing rather than being something the game needs.

Oh, I'd definitely use it to rapid-cycle the cave looking for the dragons I want XD It'd definitely be more convenient!  But I always assumed it was to ensure that every drop didn't turn into a "new release" type drop where it's all gone right away.  That would also be a frustrating pain, even if you were hunting for commons--I hunt the AP for CB commons fairly often and having to wade through them all to try and tell lineage from CB would be such a headache if I couldn't grab anything from the cave.

Though you might wanna check out this thread!  There's a suggestion for another trophy level, possibly with additional eggslots!

4 hours ago, KageSora said:

I always figures the cool down was less "prevent the AP from being flooded" and more "prevent a handful of people from rapidly cycling the cave to snap up the rares"

By being forced to wait 5 hours (unless you can get a vampire repulse) a handful of players can't decimate every single drop by grabbing everything and dumping it to the AP while they try and snap up the most desired eggs for themselves.

Good luck catching ANY common you want out of the cave instead of the AP at that point.  (Wonder how that would mess with sapphires?  Would they be kept as blue?  Or would the AP see a lot more CB pinks as people grab and dump?)

VERY good point - I hadn't even thought of that - and those evil people who use scripts would have a field day. I think the 5 hours is entirely liveable with, myself. This was never a game for the impatient.

Edited by Fuzzbucket