sugarfreesugar

Add Egg Descriptions to Dragon Encyclopedia Entries

Couldn't find a topic for this specific suggestion, so here we go!

Suggestion:

Just as the title says! Sometimes, I go on a particular dragons encyclopedia page to remember what its egg looks like so I can look for it in the AP, but then I have to look on the wiki for what that eggs description is in the caves, and it annoys me to no end that it can't just be in the dragon breed's description.

Possible Solutions:

The quote itself could just be squished in under that particular breed's "Appearance" section, or be put at the top or bottom as a quote, or the egg of that breed could simply have its own section, where its cave description and perhaps its own appearance could be listed. As long as it's put somewhere in that dragons encyclopedia entry, to any capacity, would save a lot of breed-hunters like me a trip to the wiki, and perhaps a headache.

Especially with the ever growing amount of dragons in the game (we're over... what? like 300 now? woof), it is becoming more and more difficult to just remember certain egg descriptions, and this really seems like a harmless and not-too-difficult solution! It would also be MONUMENTALLY more new-user friendly, as not everyone knows Dragon Cave even has a wiki! I sure didn’t, and I've been playing for three years!

Thank you for any consideration! ❤️

This actually was suggested ages ago. I agreed with the suggestion then, and I still agree with it now!

SUPPORT! I'm a big fan of this idea and have wanted it to happen for ages. I really hope we see this someday soon, as whenever I have to go off-game for information while playing something, it makes me less immersed and less interested in what I'm doing. I want to be able to look up everything important right on Dragon Cave itself, and egg descriptions are one of the most important pieces of info for playing, so I have to constantly reference them off site instead of just carrying on playing. I would genuinely play more and hunt for more eggs if this was a thing.

I like your proposed ideas for where the description could fit too! Surely one of those places would work well enough to make this a reality!

I support this 100%! There's just too many descriptions to remember, I can hardly keep up! Having the descriptions in the encyclopedia entries would definitely save me time and frustration 

Yes please! Full support to have the description somewhere on site, and it'd make the encyclopedia entries more useful since so many are blank. 

100% support. I have to keep checking the Wiki page, and for newbies who don’t know about the Wiki, it must be very tricky. It was easy in the early days, but now there are just too many descriptions to remember. And adding the descriptions to the Encyclopaedia page seems to be a logical, simple answer to the issue.

Personally this doesn't annoy me too much, I remember the descriptions of those breeds that I most frequently hunt for and it never feels like a big deal to open the Wiki if I need to check some others (and that does happen quite often since some of the similar ones always confuse me!)

Even so, I think this is a fantastic idea that makes perfect sense. It kind of combines the gameplay and the lore in a very practical way, I think. If the Encyclopaedia is composed of "detailed observations about dragons you’ve seen or raised", the descriptions should definitely be there because of course one would write down how to recognise in the future the breeds that they have previously come across.

Full support on this, I have such a bad memory and some of the egg descriptions are really hard to tell apart from memory - i.e. lots of water-related dragons mention puddles and I always mix up Striped Rivers with Waters and Water Walkers because all three of them talk about sitting in puddles.  It would be so nice to be able to stay onsite and maintain immersion by looking it up in my encyclopedia, instead of hastily Googling each one to remember what it is. Maybe once I've seen enough eggs I unlock the description there just like how it usually works with bio details.

If this were to happen (I don't mind either way) I'd think a separate page just with all the eggs would be best. Trawling through the whole encyclopedia to find which egg has "whatever description you just saw", or what "that egg with the green bits" is would be a nightmare. So it would only be useful if you wanted to know the description of one specific egg - limited usefulness....

1 hour ago, Caliscurum said:

Maybe once I've seen enough eggs I unlock the description there just like how it usually works with bio details.

6 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If this were to happen (I don't mind either way) I'd think a separate page just with all the eggs would be best. Trawling through the whole encyclopedia to find which egg has "whatever description you just saw", or what "that egg with the green bits" is would be a nightmare. So it would only be useful if you wanted to know the description of one specific egg - limited usefulness....

@Fuzzbucket I actually thought about that exact thing whilst making my suggestion, and the only reason I hadn't brought it up was complexity and accessibility. The encyc is already not... the MOST visible thing and it's kind of hidden away, and having an entire encyc just for eggs feels a tad unnecessary? Plus, it working like how @Caliscurum said would be both more immerssive AND work just like how everything else works in the encyc! In a perfect world, we could have an "egg-cyclopedia," but for now, we could at least have something that keeps track of egg descriptions without asking for too much at a time. :)

+1 to this suggestion! Coming back to playing properly after not playing for a decade, I'm googling descriptions to bring up the wiki every two minutes... it'd be nice if I could match descriptions to eggs through the encyclopedia instead.

54 minutes ago, sugarfreesugar said:

In a perfect world, we could have an "egg-cyclopedia," but for now, we could at least have something that keeps track of egg descriptions without asking for too much at a time. :)

Actually, I can think of a pretty simple solution to that one! There's no need to create an entirely new egg-cylopedia:

image.png.b59424e140d8ed3ad55cd346b4e4405d.png

image.png.ab8bd0084614433d0f4dc97b8a157de1.png

Now simple a solution it may be I'm not actually sure how easy this would be to implement, but being able to change what stage the encyclopedia displays on the overview page would make it much easier to match which egg goes with what description—and also, in terms of trying to complete your encyclopedia, being able to see what stages you do and don't have unlocked without having to click on every dragon would be handy I reckon.

I meant one page with the eggs, linked at the top of the thing - like this, kind of....

eggs.jpg.ca76aa7c89fd1e57a03e0da142696fe2.jpg

14 minutes ago, CaptainHarrie said:

Actually, I can think of a pretty simple solution to that one! There's no need to create an entirely new egg-cylopedia:

image.png.b59424e140d8ed3ad55cd346b4e4405d.png

image.png.ab8bd0084614433d0f4dc97b8a157de1.png

Now simple a solution it may be I'm not actually sure how easy this would be to implement, but being able to change what stage the encyclopedia displays on the overview page would make it much easier to match which egg goes with what description—and also, in terms of trying to complete your encyclopedia, being able to see what stages you do and don't have unlocked without having to click on every dragon would be handy I reckon.

OH that's a good idea! Though it'd probably be pretty tricky to implement, and I dunno how eggs with multiple different sprites would work... but still a great suggestion! And would definitely be handy for specific stage finding! As an encyc completionist, boy would I want something like that! lol

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I meant one page with the eggs, linked at the top of the thing - like this, kind of....

eggs.jpg.ca76aa7c89fd1e57a03e0da142696fe2.jpg

Oohhhhh, I see! Still might feel a bit disjointed and disconnected, though, and would probably wind up being pretty long. Maybe if it were formatted a certain way, it could work? Then again, if it were formatted like the ensyc is now, then it'd pretty much be like what @CaptainHarrie suggested anyway... 

If I understand people's frustration, it is at least partly down to "what egg is bright and pink ?" having to go to each possible breed to see the description wouldn't leave us much further ahead. If I understand what people actually need,it would only really work with a page like the wiki.

image.png.1ef2b47df689bb10c7f7f3ffef9ad8f8.png

The biomes needn't be there, of course....

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

If I understand people's frustration, it is at least partly down to "what egg is bright and pink ?" having to go to each possible breed to see the description wouldn't leave us much further ahead. If I understand what people actually need,it would only really work with a page like the wiki.

image.png.1ef2b47df689bb10c7f7f3ffef9ad8f8.png

The biomes needn't be there, of course....

There are two separate issues. Seeing a description and wanting to know what egg it belongs to, which is what you're talking about, and wanting to search for a specific breed in the cave but not knowing the description. No idea which one is more common in general, but personally I almost always go to the wiki for the latter, and that would be solved just by adding the egg descriptions in the existing encyclopedia. Having a specific egg list on-site would of course solve both issues, but I don't think it could really be combined with the current encyclopedia and all the other info on it, so perhaps that should be a different suggestion.

I think that implementing both (adding the egg descriptions onto the dragons' encyclopedia pages and having a page where all the egg descriptions are visible all together) would be the most robust solution and cover the most bases for helping people play the game. Both are solid suggestions and all of these mock ups look great! But, if it's faster/easier to either only do OP's suggestion or to only make a brand-new egg description page, one of them is better than nothing! I'd start using either of them immediately and would use them almost every time I'm on the site 😅

12 hours ago, Silverwatermist said:

I think that implementing both (adding the egg descriptions onto the dragons' encyclopedia pages and having a page where all the egg descriptions are visible all together) would be the most robust solution and cover the most bases for helping people play the game. Both are solid suggestions and all of these mock ups look great! But, if it's faster/easier to either only do OP's suggestion or to only make a brand-new egg description page, one of them is better than nothing! I'd start using either of them immediately and would use them almost every time I'm on the site 😅

Seconding the idea of both.

Actually, I think it shouldn't be limited to eggs.  I think having the descriptions of the eggs, hatchlings, and adults on the Encyclopedia page at least would be nice.

It would get rather cluttered with breeds that have descriptions, so maybe there could be a toggle--you view the page and you have the option to show either encyclopedia data or breed descriptions.  (if there is not data it just display the usual "no notes available for this breed" blurb.)

Ideally what I'd want to see would be something like this:

• A separate page from the Encyclopedia that lists each egg and it's description (biomes as well would be nice but that can be optional--I can see where it would get tricky for breeds that have less straightforward acquisition such as hybrids or that the color depends on what time of day you catch it, etc.  Personally I'd like to see all that sort of info added to the Encyclopedia, effectively turning the Encyclopedia into an on-site wiki of sorts, but I also understand the idea of leaving it off to encourage users to figure it out themselves--even if most of us will just go to the wiki instead of experimenting lol.)
  • Descriptions added for all stages to the encyclopedia, using a toggle feature or something to handle getting cluttered for breeds that have extra breed notes available.
  • The ability to filter which sprites are displayed in the Encyclopedia
    • Ideally a filter for Egg, Hatchling, Mature Hatchlings, and Adult would be available but at least swapping between Egg and Adult would be great--I figure most people are gonna be needing to figure out "what is that dragon, again?" based on either egg or adult sprite
  • THE NAME OF THE BREED BELOW THE SPRITE ON THE MAIN ENCYCLOPEDIA PAGE.  There's so very many sometimes even if I know the breed name it can be a pain locating it because there's just too dang much happening on the page and being able to "find in page" the breed name would be nice.  I know you can hover over them for the breed name but that's not easily searchable.

6 hours ago, KageSora said:

[- -] biomes as well would be nice but that can be optional--I can see where it would get tricky for breeds that have less straightforward acquisition such as hybrids or that the color depends on what time of day you catch it, etc.  Personally I'd like to see all that sort of info added to the Encyclopedia, effectively turning the Encyclopedia into an on-site wiki of sorts, but I also understand the idea of leaving it off to encourage users to figure it out themselves--even if most of us will just go to the wiki instead of experimenting lol.

I've been reading the suggestions on this thread, and this is something that came to my mind a few times as well. However, I'm not sure if including more practical info in the Encyclopaedia would necessarily go against the idea of figuring things out by experimenting. One does need to do some exploring at least to unlock the info, right? You raise dragons or view those that others have raised... which is maybe close enough to "figuring it out by yourself", or trying to. Dunno, that was just my conclusion, because in the reality most of us won't indeed go through all that experimenting, anyway. 😹

Full support! Especially coming back after any small bit of inactivity I find myself having DC in one tab, the Wiki in another. Would be awesome to streamline!

I've edited the encyclopedia page with inspect element to create a mockup. 

image.thumb.png.a5f9f0be739c0c48cc3e2ea7e7825b7c.png

Here's my list of changes:

• I created a new header, named egg description, though I would suggest a more fitting name. 
  • I added the egg description.
  • I removed the "Found in: Coast, Jungle" section from the top of the page and moved it into the egg description.
  • I added rarity to help new and returning players. 
  • I also added a section stating if the egg shares a description with a different dragon. I propose this is added after you organically discover the breeds that share egg description. 
  • While not included, I also suggest adding what combinations produce what hybrids. This should be added to the encyclopedia after the breeding combination is discovered. Either by producing the hybrid yourself, or by finding an appropriate hybrid. 

I guess my post is more of a "how can we update the encyclopedia" post, but I really want to see egg descriptions on the site. Ideally information should be available to the player without forcing them to use third party tools, or in this case the Wiki. 

1 minute ago, Charu said:

I've edited the encyclopedia page with inspect element to create a mockup. 

image.thumb.png.a5f9f0be739c0c48cc3e2ea7e7825b7c.png

Here's my list of changes:

• I created a new header, named egg description, though I would suggest a more fitting name. 
  • I added the egg description.
  • I removed the "Found in: Coast, Jungle" section from the top of the page and moved it into the egg description.
  • I added rarity to help new and returning players. 
  • I also added a section stating if the egg shares a description with a different dragon. I propose this is added after you organically discover the breeds that share egg description. 
  • While not included, I also suggest adding what combinations produce what hybrids. This should be added to the encyclopedia after the breeding combination is discovered. Either by producing the hybrid yourself, or by finding an appropriate hybrid. 

OOOO I love this!! I can't say I prefer the "Found In" section being completely moved, but everything else about it is pretty much exactly how I would've wanted it and more!!

The hybrid and description sharing features might be a bit complex from a programming standpoint, but that doesn't mean I and others wouldn't absolutely adore having them ❤️ Excellent job!!

I love that mock-up, though moving the "Found In" bit might screw with me for a bit. Revealing the hybrid combos but making you discover it yourself first is a nice touch, imo. Adds more to the unlock portion of it, like filling it out yourself as you learn it.

The main issue I have is stating the rarity. While some have generally accepted rarities (mostly the actual rare-rares or the super commons), most are generally decided by ratios and breeding through whatever hidden coding that TJ has. What would happen to that text in the event that a breed changes rarities, whether temporarily or permanently, like with seasonal migrating breeds or when new breed forms are released that cause a breed to suddenly become scarce? That might be tricky to implement. I'd love it if it was, though!

5 hours ago, animatedrose said:

I love that mock-up, though moving the "Found In" bit might screw with me for a bit. Revealing the hybrid combos but making you discover it yourself first is a nice touch, imo. Adds more to the unlock portion of it, like filling it out yourself as you learn it.

The main issue I have is stating the rarity. While some have generally accepted rarities (mostly the actual rare-rares or the super commons), most are generally decided by ratios and breeding through whatever hidden coding that TJ has. What would happen to that text in the event that a breed changes rarities, whether temporarily or permanently, like with seasonal migrating breeds or when new breed forms are released that cause a breed to suddenly become scarce? That might be tricky to implement. I'd love it if it was, though!

Stating rarity would be what general rarity a dragon falls into. For example, Reds should be marked as common and Paper should be marked as uncommon, despite the ratios. Maybe the information is unnecessary. But it might give people the expectation on what they can expect. I’m not totally sold on the idea. 

Rarity has NO PLACE in an encyclopaedia. It changes all the time.