rodymanners

What insect/bug do you hate with a passion?

15 hours ago, Nectaris said:

Wasps. They are often a subject of my nightmares. Note that I don't consider myself phobic as I can look at them from a distance as well as pictures.

These little jack*es can go die in a fire. The only good thing about wasps is they can eat fermented windfall apples and become drunk off them. Results in hilarious flight patterns XD 

Spiders are becoming very annoying where I live. They have the audacity to leave a huge mess, catch no flies whilst doing so, and leave me a spindly dead body which freaks me out to no end! 

21 hours ago, Varislapsi said:

@Astreya Too bad you're allergic to cats... I just had the first crane fly coming in from the window this summer. Medda seized it in no time. I could see it was delicious, she didn't even care to play with it before mealtime like she would do with other bugs.

Yeah, I heard that from other cat owners, too! Pity indeed!

18 hours ago, Nectaris said:

Wasps. They are often a subject of my nightmares. Note that I don't consider myself phobic as I can look at them from a distance as well as pictures.

You can have a phobia even if you are able to look at pics of them. In fact then it is even more difficult to treat this.  E.g. I find spiders actually fascinating and I have no problems watching nature documentaries about them or look at them outside, but when I'm in the same room with one I get totally panicky and my blood pressure shoots up to over 220/120 (despite attempts to put it down with beta blockers and other stuff), which is why two psycho therapists in the end gave up the attempt to cure me as they found it too risky.

2 hours ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

These little jack*es can go die in a fire. The only good thing about wasps is they can eat fermented windfall apples and become drunk off them. Results in hilarious flight patterns XD

TECHNICALLY they do eat garden pests, so they do have a use(which is why mom won't kill out of the way nests), but that doesn't stop me being afraid of them.

8 hours ago, Starscream said:

I made an icing sugar/borax mix and put it near a mound which has become quite inactive.

Yes, this is a cheap effective way to kill a number of insects that like to come inside and themselves at home. I've used it mostly on roaches and what we call 'sugar ants,' tiny black ants that have a suicidal attraction to sources of electricity.

3 hours ago, Ruffledfeathers said:

Spiders are becoming very annoying where I live. 

I have never seen so many spiders around at this time of year before. Autumn, yes. Early summer, no. But it's also unusually lush and vividky green this year even with the temperatures being in the 90s daily. 

you know, I used to like wimpod and golisopod, but after moving into a house that had a horrible silverfish infestation, losing a fight with the landlord to send over real pest control, and moving out again a few months later, I want to smash my switch whenever I see them.  -___-

I actually do like tarantulas, though.

I absolutely hate hate hate hate hate and will kill with a flamethrower, spiders.

I don't even care how big it is, I will freak out and just wanna burn everything down.

While I am very afraid of spiders and will freak out at the sight of them I don't mind them as much as mosquitoes. Flying demon robot spawn. 

Edited by ylangylang

I adore bugs and spiders, but... Lymantria dispar, the European Gypsy Moth. HIGHLY invasive in my region and VERY destructive. Where I grew up, they'd blanket every single tree in the area with their silk nets and their caterpillar corpses would turn the road green with their innards. Disgusting creatures...

Edited by ColonelZuka

Fleas, definitely ... so do my cats.  I also abhor camel crickets (or spider crickets ... they go by a few names, but those bugs are awful ... they infested my garage once).

Red Spider Mites - the little b*st*rds have invaded the cucumber plants in my greenhouse for the last three years.  They suck the sap from the leaves and work their webs all over them as they work their way to the top of the plants.  I've been mixing a very small amount of washing up liquid into a hand sprayer with sequesterene and have sprayed the top and bottom of the leaves most days.  Now, as the days shorten, and the weather cools, my valiant cucumbers are putting out some fresh green leaves and are still bearing fruit, so I'm hopeful that I'm through the worst of the infestation for this year.

PINE BUGS. i havent found one yet, but when i went camping in sault saint marie this summer with my dad, my uncle told me to watch out for the pine bugs. dreaded pine bugs. he says when they bite, even if you tear their body off, they dont stop biting.

he has the scars.

Daddy long legs.

One flew into my room through the *tiniest* crack in my window a couple of week backs. I stared at it from my bed as it fluttered around the ceiling for a few minutes cringing before thinking nah it'll probably stay up there, it's fine.

Seconds later it just dropped onto the center of the bed and I screamed.

Ugh.

silverfish, house centipedes, big spiders that aren't jumping spiders can all get bent

I know house centipedes are good for the environment but any time I see one in my house I start crying they're so scary and they have too many legs NOTHING NEEDS THAT MANY LEGS

Any dead one on a windowsill. I love all insects equally, but dead bugs terrify me. That and probably those bugs that are completely useless in the ecosystem and better off not existing, such as lice or bedbugs. They're not a primary food source for anything and exist solely to be a nuisance to the creatures they infest.

I really DESPISE those BLOODY HORSEFLIES. Biting little pests.

Edited by Scarlet_claw

wasps are mine for sure. i run and scream and cry like a little ***** when they fly at me while i'm doing yard work. i just can't deal with them. cockroaches also make me freak tf out.

pretty much every other bug is my homie though. there's a spider that set up camp in the corner of my bathroom across from the toilet. me n her just vibe while i poop. it's a treasured friendship.

wasps.

i love bees and everything to do with them, but wasps are everything i hate. they are so aggressive for no reason, and i've been stung by one twice even though i only looked at it!! thankfully nothing happened, and i only found out what happened the morning after. but even then, what gives them the right smh

SPRICKETS, also called camel crickets. Oh my god are they terrible. I used to work at a cleaning company, and I had a job site a few years ago cleaning out the buildings of a summer camp after having sat unused for months. I was cleaning out a bunkhouse in 90 degree heat in a sweatshirt with the hood pulled shut and pants, because of them. Sprickets were raining down from the rafters. They were everywhere. I don't even know if they bite, they just look and act horrifying. Never again.

3 hours ago, Medici said:

SPRICKETS, also called camel crickets. Oh my god are they terrible. I used to work at a cleaning company, and I had a job site a few years ago cleaning out the buildings of a summer camp after having sat unused for months. I was cleaning out a bunkhouse in 90 degree heat in a sweatshirt with the hood pulled shut and pants, because of them. Sprickets were raining down from the rafters. They were everywhere. I don't even know if they bite, they just look and act horrifying. Never again.

So with you there ... they had infested my garage ... I ended up getting a box of bug bombs ... one would have sufficed for the garage, but I used all three because I wanted to make *sure* they were dead.

Daddy longlegses. Irrational but UGH.

And June Bugs.

On 12/11/2022 at 4:23 PM, Medici said:

SPRICKETS, also called camel crickets. Oh my god are they terrible.

Ugh! They look like some sort of mutant. Hate, hate, hate them. And it seems like they always jump at you instead of away from you. They usually confine themselves to our basement, but the other day I had one jump at me from my kitchen sink!