rodymanners

What insect/bug do you hate with a passion?

Every single one of them.

I remember the couple of times during my childhood when I was running away from a butterfly and a dragonfly, even though all my girl classmates seemed to like them so much. 🤮

Edited by Soulibur

Since I like in northeast of the US... I'm going to say ticks and mosquitoes. 

But stink bugs are also rather obnoxious.  We also have these things called midges, and even though they're mosquito adjacent, they're the nonbiting kind here. They tend to swarm in huge numbers outside, and just die in piles against doors and windows. It's really gross if you're the type of person who minds having to touch them just to get in and out of the house, lol.

On 12/12/2022 at 7:19 PM, purplehaze said:

Ugh! They look like some sort of mutant. Hate, hate, hate them. And it seems like they always jump at you instead of away from you. They usually confine themselves to our basement, but the other day I had one jump at me from my kitchen sink!

Literally! Why are they so mean! I don't know if they bite/sting or not and I don't want to find out, because they sure act like they can.

You know what?  I dislike cockroaches and ants, and I really dislike mosquitoes and ticks, but until I encountered bedbugs I only thought that I hated any other insect.

Bedbugs are the worst because unlike the rest they aren't just accidentally wandering inside sometimes in search of food or mates or whatever, they live inside.  And poison baits or sticky traps or pheromone lures or repellents absolutely don't work on them, unlike the rest of the species I dislike.

Ticks are the second-most awful insect, though.  I have a friend who suffers from Lyme disease transmitted by a tick, and it's horrible!  Not the only disease they carry, either.

(The one I react to most irrationally, though, is tomato hornworms.  I'm pretty chill about most insects, especially those that are just doing their thing outside - I remove wasp nests if they're too close to doors/windows, but otherwise coexist with them, and I appreciate spiders for their pest control efforts! - but I have a completely irrational disgust toward tomato hornworms considering that they're pretty innocuous!  I mean, yes, they destroy my beloved tomato plants, but so do aphids and I don't have a similar reaction to those.  I blame the sheer size of them - hormworms are just too big, and something in my brain insists that no bug should be that enormous and yet that stealthy!  :P )

Mosquitoes. Might dislike a lot of them, but mosquitoes is where the passion lies.

On 1/28/2023 at 4:22 PM, sorenna said:

The one I react to most irrationally, though, is tomato hornworms

Let me introduce you to my friend, the giant swallowtail butterfly, and its lovely "bird poop" caterpillar form which rudely pops out two red 'horns' when frightened. They are limited to just a few host plants: citrus trees and some types of ash trees, though. 

5 hours ago, Long_Before_Sunrise said:

Let me introduce you to my friend, the giant swallowtail butterfly, and its lovely "bird poop" caterpillar form which rudely pops out two red 'horns' when frightened. They are limited to just a few host plants: citrus trees and some types of ash trees, though. 

I used to live in a big citrus-growing area; we probably used to have these!  I was pretty young, though, so I don't remember seeing any specifically.

Bird poop is a clever disguise and I respect that.  Unlike tomato hornworms, my nemesis, which don't look like anything except the probably-radioactive alien horrors that they are.  :D  (Also, eating some citrus leaves seems fair and cool and unlikely to murder the whole tree and deprive me of grapefruits!  Hornworms, meanwhile, put a serious hurt on my tomato plants and have nearly killed a couple.)

I'd have to say I'm joining the mosquitoes (and ticks) only club, because in general I really like insects, and I absolutely love spiders bc they're adorable to me, I'm weird (I still throw the big ones outside if I find them in the house though, the smol ones can stay to eat the other insect pests I don't usually have the heart to hunt down and squish lol)

Edited by bord

Mosquitos and definitely cockroaches after moving into an apartment full of them for a few years.. so hard to get rid of. 🤢

I don't really have it in me to hate anything that small, haha. I have other things to do. Of course mosquitoes are annoying, but so are my downstairs neighbours :P at least the local mosquitoes have beautiful striped pants.

Generally, I try to appreciate nature even when it is a little gross or bothersome (it's not like I can change it anyway ...) I'm still working on finding something to appreciate about headlice though ... I'm sure I'll get there one day! Maybe..:p

Oooh....definitely dislike stink bugs 😖

I know they're not dangerous or anything, but I had one land on the back of my neck when I was younger and when I tried to pull it off, I could feel its velcro-like legs (how they stick to you) - and in addition to that, it left such a scent on my fingers - I will keep a distance if I can, but the majority of the time it's just me around to deal with it, so like we do with spiders, it's chuck it in a cup and out the door it goes!

Will admit, my favourite insect has to be the little jumping spiders, I've only ever seen a few here in the UK, but I remember seeing a little silver coloured one on the wing-mirror of my Dad's car, curious little beasties they are lol 💚

House flies. With. a. burning. passion.
Currently I live with my grandma, who has some very gross and unhealthy habits. She genuinely believes hygiene is bad for you. 
Animals are kept as free roaming pets regardless of what they are. Chickens, wild mice, cats, domesticated mice, pigeons, dogs, you name it. All free to run around in her room and the kitchen, getting to sleep with her in her bed and steal food. 
Due to this doors and windows are always open, so the animals can walk in and out as they please.  Which includes flies.  And we live close to a pig farm.
A couple of days ago I caught 15+ flies in my room in one go, because somebody left my door open. The same evening I made myself a coffee, as I do. Drank it and to my horror found a fly at the bottom. I was absolutely disgusted, as one would, and wiped out every single fly in the house that I could find and sprayed every room. Wasn't possible to count how many. I then made myself a new coffee, out of principle, and drank it just to find yet another fly at the bottom of the cup. So I snapped, closed windows and doors and gave my grandma a good talking to. But just out of principle, I had to make another coffee. Or tea this time, 3 in a row is no good. Can you guess what was in my cup, as soon as I poured water in?
I feel like my profile picture sometimes. Those things make my skin crawl, when they do nothing all day but buzz around and sit on my skin, making me constantly tremble. They cover the kitchen counter and any food the moment you stop swatting them off. They show me how dirty the floor is when they sit around in spots, and make me wonder what my grandma used to clean up that spot and if she didn't wash the tool she used to pick it (presumably left overs from a mouse) up either. 
I used to hate mosquitoes. But they feel so trivial and easy to deal with now. They feed and they fly off. Not like these spawns of filth. They do not stop buzzing and touching you until the day they die. 

It's not easy for me to hate an animal. But the kind of coincidental household torture fungus gnats inflict is definitely inspiring of something. They are attracted to CO2, which means they will find some way to fly directly up and/or over your nose and mouth as you mind your own business in your own home. If you have an over watered houseplant, it's over.

Thrips definitely! I love bugs, but I do hate thrips with a passion. They're fine outside but indoors they're a nightmare! The effort I have to put in stopping them from completely destroying my houseplants... horrid little beasts.

Quite unreasonably, brown marmorated stink bugs for me. I love entomology. Most insects are quite cool, I find (except for ticks, not a fan of them either), but brown marmorated stink bugs? A plague upon this earth. I despise them. Any other stink bug is fine, except for that one type. And it’s not because of the stench. It’s just… them. They freak me out. 

Mosquitoes, fleas, and spider/camel crickets. Mosquitoes I don't need to explain, same with fleas. Spider crickets are just terrifying, like they are a decent size like most crickets AND they jump towards what scares them. Big nope for me.

Cockroaches. Just the sound of its wings when it's flying instantly wakes me up even if I'm in deep sleep.

On 9/29/2023 at 1:11 AM, corvidaze said:

Quite unreasonably, brown marmorated stink bugs for me. I love entomology. Most insects are quite cool, I find (except for ticks, not a fan of them either), but brown marmorated stink bugs? A plague upon this earth. I despise them. Any other stink bug is fine, except for that one type. And it’s not because of the stench. It’s just… them. They freak me out. 

they really are some of the worst things, they just accumulate inside in the fall and die.

One sentence shows my attitude: mosquitoes get out of the earth!!!☹️Once I was bitten by a mosquito, and my whole arm was swollen like a huge bread! That scared me ☹️ I won't take the initiative to kill any other bugs. Even if they accidentally enter my room, I will gently wrap them with toilet paper and send them out. When I walk, I will be careful not to step on them.

But the mosquito will be crushed by me fiercely! If I hear a mosquito-like sound at night, I will wake up immediately and get up to eliminate them! I really hate mosquitoes! ☹️☹️☹️

I am a big fan of 95% of bugs, but I hate fleas! My husband and I always worry our cats are gonna get them if they hitchhike in on our shoes

Whatever you call the bug that sprays acid or something. One sprayed me once and it was irritating. Also mosquitos, cause they're mosquitos.

Lice and fleas. YUCKY. BAD.

Also all the bugs in my dreams. I don't know why they're always mean to me. I'm not even afraid of bugs. I actually like bugs. But not those bugs.

A bit of a strange choice, but I am a fervent ladybug hater.

I don't think I ever recovered from the ladybug infestation I once had in my house. Just picturing them, all clustered together, a grotesque, writhing mass of red and black... Eurgh.