AroaraAngelwolf

The Cursed

"Reinforcements two years ago when Evens so foolishly went up against the blue quadvern. " He replied somberly. "The day we lost Davis, Flo's husband and the man who was like a uncle to me. Did I ever tell you that his stallion was the one who sired Lilith here? " He said patting said horse's neck. "There's a run off river that runs along the road to the town at one point. It helps run the grain mill. " He replied to her suggestion at letting the horses get a drink. 

A half hour later, the road they took bent and ran almost parallel to a wide river and he had Lilith trot to the bank and let her drink. 

“Oh and it’s sad that both you and Flo lost him. No you didn’t and I’m sorry girl,” she said in reply to his first few statements before also patting Lilith and then nodding when she heard what he said regarding where some water was that they could go to in order to let the horses drink. She had Storm follow after him and Lilith, letting Storm drink from it as well once she led her to it.

“Where should we go after they’re done drinking?” she asked him after a few minutes or so of silence had fallen between between them.

Edited by SkySong278

"The town is right over there. " He said pointing into the distance twords a mill. "That is the town where the battle took place. You see the scorch marks over there?" He said pointing across the river to a swath of mountain grass and trees covered in burn scars and a large skeleton of a quadvern lay.  "That's where it happened." 

“Oh okay. I’m glad mostly everyone, including you, ended up being okay after that battle,” she said in reply just as Storm finished drinking and stepped back to graze a bit in the grass and she turned her attention to be on her and gently patted her neck. “I’m still very sorry about your uncle passing, though.”

"Unfortunate, but one can't stop fate. He went the way he wanted, fighting by his Lord and Flo said he wouldn't want it any other way. " He said with a small smile. "It was because of his sacrifice he saved my life and the kingdom as well. " He said and flicked the rains having Lilith head twords the town. "If we go now we'll be at the lunch rush at the pub. They make amazing quadvern stake!"

“Oh, okay and I’m glad he saved your life. We wouldn’t have met otherwise,” she said in reply before hearing the rest of what he said afterward. “Alright!” she called back to him while also flicking Storm’s reins to follow after him. “That sounds like a plan because I’m starting to get hungry!”

Edited by SkySong278

He threw his head back and laughed at her statement about being hungry."Should have said something sooner, I wouldn't have delayed us then!" Once in town he dismounted his horse at a restaurant and went in to order a table for two. He then came back outside and helped her off Storm and tied both horses to the post. "The owner here is Adam, he and his wife run this place. Maurice was mums handmaid. She was like a sister to my mom and came over from the northern Province when dad asked her to live with him before marriage to see if she would work out. " He explained as he took her hand and went inside. 

“Well it wasn’t until you brought up the mention of food that I started to get hungry so I blame you!” she called back as she continued to follow him to the place where they were going to eat. When they got there, she slowed Storm to a walk before they arrived at the restaurant and then had her stop just outside it afterward. She waited while still on Storm’s back until he went in to get them a table, and then got off of her back with his help when he came back outside. She then listened to everything he said as he tied their horses to a post nearby, curious about the last bit he said about the owner’s wife being his mom’s handmaid and like a sister to her. “It sounds like she knew her well, then. This looks like a very interesting place and I’m curious about how their food tastes,” she said in reply as he led them inside.

Edited by SkySong278

He lead her to a private table and removed his mask once he was hidden from view from the other patrons with a chuckle. "I'm glad to know my wife has a hearty appetite. At least I can enjoy some of the red quadvern I killed when you first arrived here. " He reached over and lightly took her hand in his, his blueish silver eyes were soft and full of love for her. "So much has happened in a few short months, and now we have the rest of our lives to look forward to." He said tenderly.  When a very pregnant woman waddled over to take their order she yelped and covered her eyes seeing the mask on the table. "My lord! Forgive me -" "Bea, it's fine. My curse is broken. I wanted to introduce the woman who broke it to your mom, is she here? " Quadir sheepishly smiles. The woman peaked from her fingers and slowly lowered her hands. "woah....... Oh my! Uh...... Oh! Mom is in the guildhall now getting a new order of meat from the adventurers that just came back from further south. Apparently a few wendigos where spotted in parts they're not typically seen. They had to return earlier than expected." She said slowly not taking her eyes off of him. 

He shifted uncomfortable with the stares. "Um.... Beatrice this is my new wife, curse breaker and daughter of the deity as well as Lady of the land, Alivia Melstrom. Alivia, this is Beatrice, Adam and Maurice 's daughter. " The woman snapped out of her trance with a blush realizing that she was staring at him. She glanced at Alivia and did a small curtsy as much as her belly would allow."Pleasure to meet you my Lady, um.... May I get you both something to drink?" She asked handing them both a thin board with etchings of the food items they have available. "Cider for me please. " Quadir looks like his wife. "They have lemonade here and a wonderful orange cider that's best served with red quadvern stake."

“I’ve always had a hearty appetite, but glad to know that you like that I do. Do red Quadvern steaks taste the same as other color Quadvern steaks or do they all taste differently as well as have different flavors?” she said and asked curiously in reply before hearing the rest of what he said after feeling him take her hand while her thumb both gently and softly rubbed the back of his hand. “Yes, there has been and also yes we do. I’m also very happy to be able to spend the rest of my life with you.” She then turned her attention from being on him to being on the woman that approached them soon after she said what she did. She blushed a bit, but smiled at her all the same before hearing her start to say what she did to him.

Her face had a curious expression back on it when she heard where her mom was, but then that turned into a bit of worry when she heard what she said about Wendigos. That faded slightly when she noticed that she was staring at him, clearing her throat a bit afterward. “It’s very nice to meet you. Hm, okay. I’d like pink lemonade if you have it or orange cider,” she said in reply to all three with the smile back on her face.

Edited by SkySong278

"Red quadvern stake has a natural spice to it, if marinated right, it's like it has jalapenos in it. Smokey and spicy." He informed her. "Orange cider cools the mouth and makes it taste like cinnamon." Bea added. "I'll do the orange cider for a first timer." Bea said jotting it down. "And I take it that you both will be having the house special?" 

"Yes, and the wendigos are a issue, but apparently they are fleeing the Deity 's father the Great Southern spirit. It's a issue and we've had blessed silver arrowheads sent to the watchmen and skilled bowmen along the mountain border. " He informed Beatrice. She sighed in relief. "Good to hear. I'll make sure the news spreads that the Lord is aware and taking precautions."

“Oh okay, good to know. Alright I’ll be fine with that,” she said in reply to both his answer to her question and what Beatrice said about the orange cider regarding it help cool the mouth and putting it as her (Alivia) drink.

“Oh but I thought father said that grandfather was the Great Northern Spirit and that those creatures were coming down to avoid him but maybe I heard wrong,” she said in reply to what he said about her grandfather with a slight head tilt and both a confused and curious expression on her face after Beatrice said what she did.

Edited by SkySong278

"Oh, I must have gotten confused. You see, because of the Heart of Ammar north and south in weather patterns and climate are reversed. On other continents' south is hot and sunny, but in Ammar the south is cold and snowy. It is a northern spirit, however he must remain cold, so instead of traveling southward through Ammar, the great northern spirit has to go around through the sea, then travel upwards into Ammar, thus the wendigos fleeing northward twords us. my mistake. " He informed her looking sheepish. 

Bea already left at this point in the conversation to get their meal started. Quadir smiles softly at her. "It's confusing and sometimes I get mixed up. I have a great sense of direction, but Ammar as a continent and country is just...... Weird. Then again, it's home. " He reached over and brushed a strand of hair away from her face. "Wendigos are scary, but would typically avoid citys, although they have plenty of food there, it's loud and through their sense of smell and hearing it is disorienting. When hunting then we either remain deadly quite, or hang chimes and bang our armor to distract them. They can see very well in the dark, but less so during the day. They have weaknesses, just not easy to access."

“Oh, okay. Listening to all that you said in your explanation, I understand how that could get and be confusing. I’d be confused as well,” she said in reply with a comforting smile on her face as she rubbed the back of one of his hands with her thumb when she noticed that he was looking a bit sheepish.

She then listened to the rest of what Quadir said, blushing a bit when she felt him move a strand of her hair out of her face after Beatrice left their table to get their meal order put in at the kitchen. “It’s now my home as well, and I’m glad it is. They sound scary and I wish we didn’t have to encounter them, but I guess it’s unavoidable with grandfather coming to meet me. I’m sorry for that. That’s good to know, and alright. Maybe, too by then, father will also have taught me some defensive and offensive spells to help fight them.”

Edited by SkySong278

"That would be nice. Don't be sorry. He's your family now, and I have a deity as a father in law, and a practical god as a grandfather in law. I'm glad you came here." He said and leaned back as the food came. 

“Mhm, and okay. I just feel bad because it’s because of me that my grandfather’s coming and due to that it’s also causing the Horns to come and cause chaos again. I am as well and you’re also part of my family,” she said in reply before she also leaned back just as their food came.

"I am glad of that too." He said as he cut into the stake. The meat had turned a boiled lobster red, the juices where inky black and the center was a pale purple color. "Cooked to perfection! " He said and took a bite. He was so delighted with the taste he blushed and wiggles in his seat as he chewed. "She marinated it in plumb wine and thyme to bring out he sweet smokey flavor! I can't believe that I killed this, if I cooked it it'll be tough, chewy and not good at all but something barely edible to provide me strength on the road. Adam has perfected this recipe!" He said after careful chewing and swallowing the meat following it with a sip of cider. 

She smiled at what he said before cutting into her own steak, and taking her first bite of it. “Oh, my. It’s really good and I can taste the very sweet smokey part now,” she said after a few chews of it before swallowing it completely. “I could also taste that wine, and the thyme you mentioned that it was marinated in. It’s also very juicy,” she added after taking a sip of her own orange cider and then cutting another piece herself afterward.

Quadir slowed down to appreciate his meal more and enjoy the company he had. "When do you want to start your weapons training? I think it should be soon..." He said pondering a good time for her to start. 

“Hm maybe later this evening or tomorrow afternoon? Mm,” Alivia said in reply to his question before letting out a content sound when she put another piece in her mouth afterward and started chewing it. “Do you have the recipe so that we can make it at home?”

Edited by SkySong278

Quadir shook his head. "No, it's her family's recipe, and like my mother's gumbo some things you keep in the family. I'll show you how to make Mama's gumbo when we get in a fresh shipment of shrimp and veal. But it'll have to stay between us..." He then flushed. "Well us and any children we have... Well... Ones that don't have fur at least." 

“Aw okay, but I understand. Sounds good, and I can’t wait to make that with you when we start making things together in the kitchen. Alright and oh,” Alivia said in reply with a small smile along with a blush on her cheeks as well when she heard the bit about any kids they had before eating more of the Quadvern steak and drinking more of the cider as well afterward until she was done with both. "Should we head back after we're done here or is there somewhere else we can go before we head back?"

Edited by SkySong278

"We've been away from the Castle long enough." He said finishing his meal. "However I want to pay my respects to the memorial on the battlefield before we head back." Quadir said finishing his meal.  He stood up and took her hand in his and paid for their meals before leading her back outside to he horses and helping her on Storm before mounting Lilith. 

In a easy gallop, he lead her across the bridge to the bones of the quadvern now sun-bleached. There- at the massive skull that was as large as both of their horses side by side and tall enough to crawl into a eye socket and stand up inside- was a flat onyx stone with names carved into the smooth black surface. Along the top part was the date of the battle, and along the bottom was written "Loving husbands, fathers, brothers, uncles, and sons. Gone but not forgotten. Protectors in life and death, may their honor be forever and souls be at peace."  Just inside the mouth, through a broken fang was a kern, a carefully balanced stack of rocks, about thirteen stones tall now. 

Kneeling, he pulled out a smooth stone with a rune chiseled into it and carefully balanced it on top of the kern. He then scooted back behind the memorial gravestone and bowed. "Without your sacrifice, I would have never met my wife, you are missed greatly uncle. I wish you could have seen my wedding. And your wife has taken in a young witch as a daughter. My wife is a witch too, and she is very strong. I wish you were here, you faced windigos before with my father... Our curse is broken too, thanks to my wife. ...... ....." He said all of this softly and stopped like he was listening to something. He then stood up. "Sometimes I can hear the dead like mum could, faintly but still there. I could never hear him, I know he is still around, I can feel that much but he never speaks to me. " he turned to Alivia. "Alright... We can head back home now before nightfalls.  Open road here at night is asking for trouble."

Alivia nodded in understanding when she heard his response before also nodding in reply to his last statement, and then walking out of the restaurant with him to their horses after he paid for their meals. She thanked him for helping her mount Storm by leaning over and kissing him on the cheek after he had mounted Lilith beside her.

She then had Storm follow after Lilith by also galloping after them over the bridge, and towards the sun bleached Quadvern skeleton. She slowed Storm to a halt before dismounting from her back and then went after him towards the skeleton where there was a stack of stones, watching as he added one to the very top before listening as he spoke to his uncle.

She blushed a bit when she heard everything he said about her, but still smiled all the same. She then nodded again in both understanding and reply when she heard the statements he said last after he spoke to his uncle at the kern. “Okay. What should we do when we get back? Go to bed or something else before that?” she said verbally and asked in reply.

He mounted Lilith and headed back to the bridge to the main road after she got on her horse again. "I was thinking about painting you..... If you don't mind...." He said quietly with a blush. "I want to add your portrait to the crypt, so the spirits who wonder there can see the one who broke their curse. "