Paradisiske

Make upside down mints available in the market/cave on April Fools Day

10 hours ago, Sylph264 said:

I don't understand the "it's not in the spirit of April Fool's to make this fun thing more accessible" idea. April Fool's is about silly fun. Getting one one-out-of-three chance a year to get a silly thing isn't really that fun- it's just gambling with bad odds. The flipped mints themselves are the silly fun, and the dragon's dilemma is just a bonus silly thing to go with them. 

April Fool's is about hoaxes and pranks. Dragon's Dilemma and flipped mints follow that. Catching a random mint in the cave and it may or may not be flipped follows that. Buying a dragon from the market doesn't follow that lol

I'm all for making things more accessible and more fun, but I don't want it to be at the expense of the fun that I find in the game either! We can find ways to accomplish both of these. 

19 minutes ago, schenanigans said:

Buying a dragon from the market doesn't follow that lol

It would if trying to buy a regular Mint had a random chance at a flipped one.

2 hours ago, schenanigans said:

April Fool's is about hoaxes and pranks. Dragon's Dilemma and flipped mints follow that. Catching a random mint in the cave and it may or may not be flipped follows that. Buying a dragon from the market doesn't follow that lol

I'm all for making things more accessible and more fun, but I don't want it to be at the expense of the fun that I find in the game either! We can find ways to accomplish both of these. 

Agreed, it's definitely possible to make upside-down mints more accessible without losing the spirit of why they exist in the first place. (I do think it'd be okay if they were in the market as long as it was random chance the same way it would be when cave-hunting.)

7 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

It would if trying to buy a regular Mint had a random chance at a flipped one.

Lol people would buy so many mints....

12 minutes ago, DragonLady86 said:

Lol people would buy so many mints....

I think it'd be really cool, there would probably be a Market-Mint wall in the AP a few days later from people trying for upside-down mints. That would be fun! 

I'll have 4500 shards until then - would be good for 45 attempts XD if I had the mind to spend them all.

As someone who really loves Fool Mints, I feel I should weigh in here.

While I'm not sure about being able to buy them from the market, I'd definitely love a way to get them besides the "Dragon's Dilemma" game (or the AP, when people abandon their own eggs). I know some people are getting frustrated with the game or even hating on it because it's been going since 2017 and some people find it boring now. (Not me, but I understand their complaints.) If there was a way to do something different for April Fool's while still being able to get the Fool Mints annually, I think that would be a win-win.

Here are my ideas:

If Fool Mints are available from the market:

1. Limit to April 1st only. They are "Fool Mints" (not the official name) for a reason and I would prefer they stay that way.

2. Limit the number people can get, say maybe two, so you can potentially have a breeding pair. People would definitely stock up on them if they were unlimited and cheap (I admit I would), and I don't think that's keeping with the spirit of the game. If they return annually, this shouldn't be a big deal. Just think of them like holiday dragons.

3. There should be an option, or maybe a random chance, for the egg to be either upside-down or right-side up but with "Cave" listed as the biome. (Or in this case, I guess "Market"?) Some people like having the upright Mints too that aren't from any specific biome.

If Fool Mints are available randomly from the caves, or some other way besides the "Dragon's Dilemma":

1. Limit to April 1st only.

2. Either limit the number that one person can get, or make it a higher chance they will get a "normal" Mint (with the biome it was caught in listed, like the "Alpine") or an upright Fool Mint with "Cave" as the biome.

3. Find a clever way of letting people know this is still tied to being an April Fool's event. If it just happens with no announcement or special message, I think a lot of people will either be confused or unaware of what is going on and miss the opportunity to get one.

In all cases:

1. Fool Mints should be allowed to continue breeding. There's no reason to take this away!

2. You should be able to abandon them. (Most of mine came from the AP and it's a good way to give other people a chance.) I'm fine if they still can't be traded. I might like the opportunity to get more, but I hate the idea of everyone asking for NDs and 2G spriter's alts for them.

3. Only CBs should be upside-down.

4. I support the idea of them being shown as upside-down in the lineage view. It would save me the trouble of going through every single ancestor to make sure they're flipped when I'm trying to make or trade/gift a "PB" Fool Mint lineage.

I'm pretty tired right now, so I hope this all makes sense. Fingers crossed that something good can come from this thread.

2 hours ago, Spiteful_Crow said:

3. Only CBs should be upside-down.

That would put CBs above lineaged dragons. Why make such a distinction if you allow them to be obtained through other means than that annual 50:50 coin-toss game?

5 hours ago, Ruby Eyes said:

That would put CBs above lineaged dragons. Why make such a distinction if you allow them to be obtained through other means than that annual 50:50 coin-toss game?

Because that's the way it is now and I don't think it should be changed? Plus it might make lineages look weird if bred dragons randomly became upside-down. I also think Fool Mints were a good way to get people interested in Mint dragons again when they're were mostly ignored before. If upside-down Mints became super common, I think people would lose interest in them again.

Edit: Plus the reason for them being upside-down is related to the April Fool's holiday.

Edited by Spiteful_Crow

Because that's the way it is now and I don't think it should be changed?

Why are you in this subforum then? We're here because something is one way and we'd like some change ;)

Plus it might make lineages look weird if bred dragons randomly became upside-down.

Only if that ever shows up in lineage view. Which is currently only a suggestion, and even if it became real, why would that make things more odd than flipped Mints anywhere in the base?

Plus the reason for them being upside-down is related to the April Fool's holiday.

And? As far as I can tell, ANY way to obtain more flipped Mints suggested in here was tied to THIS ONE DAY. In fact, that is and always was part of this suggestion's title. "On April Fools Day."

THIS DAY ONLY for them to be in the Market or drop in cave.

THIS DAY ONLY for regular Mints to potentially get flipped upon pickup from the cave, purchase from Market, or bred.

Creating flipped Mints would always only happen on April Fool's Day. I think that still makes them special enough.

Flipped Mints are CB and I personally don't see a compelling reason for that to change. There *is* a compelling reason for them to be available some other way on April 1st, since the only current way is completely chance and a lot of people don't even know what they are doing (ie, what option to pick to even have the chance at all). It would be nice if the 'chance' was spread out to cave-Mints, and maybe even spread to the Market, as long as it keeps the 'chance' element. 

21 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

And? As far as I can tell, ANY way to obtain more flipped Mints suggested in here was tied to THIS ONE DAY. In fact, that is and always was part of this suggestion's title. "On April Fools Day."

THIS DAY ONLY for them to be in the Market or drop in cave.

THIS DAY ONLY for regular Mints to potentially get flipped upon pickup from the cave, purchase from Market, or bred.

Creating flipped Mints would always only happen on April Fool's Day. I think that still makes them special enough.

Wouldn't that make it very complicated with bred ones though? It would be a huge pain to even try and make a lineage with them when they can only beed one day a year, and aren't tradeable. Because bred ones definitely shouldn't be tradeable either, otherwise they would end up affecting the economy which TJ was fundamentally against. Breeding them under these conditions would be like holidays but way more difficult (only one day per year, no swaps possible).

Personally I support more ways of getting upside down mints as long as there's still a random chance element to them, such as a 50/50 (or whatever number would be considered reasonable) for every mint in the cave and market only on April 1st. But I would rather stick to CBs only, since bred ones would be even more limited anyway. And at this point I would rather not change how they are displayed in lineages either - while I wanted them to show upside down at first, after years of people making lineages with them it might mess with things too much. 

9 minutes ago, MissK. said:

It would be a huge pain to even try and make a lineage with them

I'm still going with the fact that they are just regular Mints in lineage. After all, that other suggestion is still just a suggestion as well.

As such, they'd just be a fun surprise if you happen to look at their view page (how many people really go to all the individuals in a lineage?) and nothing else. The lineage would still show just Mints and whatever else you bred them with.

The flipped CBs don't show in lineage view either right now, but people still seek out lines from them. I think it's very likely that people would end up putting a lot of value in "true" purebreds (all upside down), which I guess is not the end of the world if they're still not tradeable, I just don't know if it really goes well with their purpose. But I wouldn't vehemently oppose it if a lot of people want it honestly, as long as they're still not tradeable.