TJ09

2020-04-26 - April Dragon Release

*resists desire to incubate blue eggs* SORRY IT'S FOR MY COLLECTION

Lovely set of dragons! Seeing the Venturis adults, I do remember them from DR now. Is Xol our shortest dragon name or was there a prior 3-letter that I'm forgetting?

v LOL I feel foolish now, thanks, I think the X was throwing me off.

Edited by cbussiere

5 minutes ago, cbussiere said:

*resists desire to incubate blue eggs* SORRY IT'S FOR MY COLLECTION

Lovely set of dragons! Seeing the Venturis adults, I do remember them from DR now. Is Xol our shortest dragon name or was there a prior 3-letter that I'm forgetting?

Ice, Red and Ash dragons.

Edited by Whirlaway

Yay I remember the Venturis from the DR : D I liked them a lot.

The Xols are nice too, and the method of obtaining the alt reminds me of baking... Mm, dragon cookies.

Edited by Orchi'dea

Wow, those are some cool new dragons!  An Eastern breed and an aquatic breed.

I can see the Venturis making some nice lineages with Silvers.  And those decorative scales growing on the Xol makes me think of coral.

Awesome job to the spriters!

I have my personal goals for Venturis complete (other than frozens of course), so now I'll be working on Xol's, which will take a bit longer, but worth it. It's such a different sprite to me, I love its uniqueness!

Edited by Nightwalkerkey

1 hour ago, Data_Girl_3 said:

Wow, those are some cool new dragons!  An Eastern breed and an aquatic breed.

I can see the Venturis making some nice lineages with Silvers.  And those decorative scales growing on the Xol makes me think of coral.

Awesome job to the spriters!

Venturis would also work with Almeralds. I'm going to have to start grabbing some, I love them the most in this release. Must... hoard... all...

2 hours ago, Trenzalore said:

I wonder what is meant by "they'll be around for a while?" Will they become rare or something?

No. they are a permanent release. though it is possible for them to be a user-driven rare.  If enough people want to collect something they can become scarce.  CB blacks are good example, common now, but their was a time they were as hard to find as golds.

I meant rare as in rare like Xenowyrms are rare, or like the example of golds (although those are much more rare than most others). Do you mean to say that in the Dragon Request post, the artist wanted it to be common?

I think Venturis dragons will be quite common, and Xol dragons may become either common or uncommon due to the fact that as the caves transition back to normal, there already seems to be noticably less Xol sightings compared to Venturis.

23 minutes ago, Trenzalore said:

I meant rare as in rare like Xenowyrms are rare, or like the example of golds (although those are much more rare than most others). Do you mean to say that in the Dragon Request post, the artist wanted it to be common?

I think Venturis dragons will be quite common, and Xol dragons may become either common or uncommon due to the fact that as the caves transition back to normal, there already seems to be noticably less Xol sightings compared to Venturis.

Pretty sure xenos are an uncommon that's "rare" because people want them. Golds are a true rare.

The artist doesn't get final say in rarity, TJ does though it is taken into account.  But you also have to consider BOTH how many other species they are competing with in the biomes AND how much players want them. The fact that Xols have an alt giving people twice as many sprites to collect means more of them picked up, so yes, they WILL appear rarer even if both are meant to be commons.

Edited by DragonLady86

On 4/29/2020 at 4:44 PM, The Dragoness said:

It's been so hard to contain my excitement during this release! When I started the concept for the Venturises, I expected it to end up in the  void like so many other completed DRs. But actually seeing them here, as an official DC breed...it's a feeling I can't even describe. Thank you so much to SkyWolf25 and spatio for bringing them to life, as well as TJ for selecting them! 

Congrats to Mewtie as well on another gorgeous dragon! I love everything about the Xols. The new alt mechanic is really neat too! I just hope I can remember to not mindlessly incubate everything XD

I was so so incredibly excited when I saw them!! They're my all-time favourite dragon request :wub: Major congrats to you and the spriters - I'm so happy! And now, to hoard >:D

Love both breeds, congrats to all artists for a great release and thank you to everyone involved!

Edited by stagazer_7

On 4/29/2020 at 4:13 PM, Mewtie said:

The name is derived from "axolotl". I just looked the name up and there seems to be someone from Destiny called that, but I know hardly anything about Destiny and it's entirely coincidental.

It's not really harming them. It leads to a different development that is unusual for a Xol Dragon. I imagine that the magical related capabilities of a blue individual are slightly impacted, but Xol Dragons stick together as groups. And since their blue variant is less usual, it raises attention, and they love attention.

Ah okay. That makes me feel a bit better.

Also, axolotls are these funny external gilled amphibians that mudkips are based on. Which is definitely not what these dragons are. lol

1 hour ago, Shokomon said:

Ah okay. That makes me feel a bit better.

Also, axolotls are these funny external gilled amphibians that mudkips are based on. Which is definitely not what these dragons are. lol

Did.... Did you just tell the creator of the Xol dragon what their dragon is/isn't? :'D Shokomon... Mewtie just said that the name of their dragon is derived from axolotl. Nothing about whether or not Xol's actively are designed after them. But, regardless, I don't think that's your call to make????

On 4/29/2020 at 5:02 AM, pinkgothic said:

I play on the Portal 2 skin, which is an average anthracite background colour. Some dragons do look catastrophic on that background (Aqualises, for example, unfortunately - the membranes between their fingers and toes are bright pink in a way that's not at all obvious on lighter backgrounds), but most of them mesh very well, so I don't think the background colour is typically taken into account - and I'm glad it's not.

I frequently see sprites previewed on white, black, and the scroll background, so it's definitely a common thing. But the process each artist uses is definitely different so there's no one answer.

On 4/29/2020 at 1:13 PM, Mewtie said:

The name is derived from "axolotl". I just looked the name up and there seems to be someone from Destiny called that, but I know hardly anything about Destiny and it's entirely coincidental.

Yeah I'm definitely aware of the Xol in Destiny and there's no real connection there.

Wow these are beautiful! Love the mane on the Venturis dragon especially! :D The female Xol has such a joyful pose. Love it! Thank you!!

Those sweet little hatchies turned into such beautiful dragons. Thank you Mewties, SkyWolf25, and Spatio for all your hard work. These dragons are the bomb. What beautiful new releases.

The adult designs are beautiful, and I love the descriptions as well. I never fail to be impressed by the amazing detail and work that goes in to the releases, thank you all involved with these can not wait to hoard more :)

Such beautiful dragons - although the Xols will test my patience when I'm inevitably will do lineages with the blue Sprite (like the Siyats). I'm such an impatient dragon momma XD

Thanks TJ and spriters ❤️

(Also I do appreciate the little detail of this release resulting in the 250th breed being released on DC's birthday - yay for double-milestones)

I just incubate the volcano eggs but they dont change the colour. Whats the reason ? 🤨

5 minutes ago, aneles said:

I just incubate the volcano eggs but they dont change the colour. Whats the reason ? 🤨

Uhhh - how old were the eggs?

From the descrip of the adults:

However, when eggs stay below a certain temperature for too long, this development is stunted, leading to the existence of blue

So I don't know but there seems to be a cut off. Does anyone know it already?

There is a cutoff simply by the way the BSA of Red Dragons works, since eggs with 3 days or less left can no longer be incubated. Other than that, there is no cutoff that I know of.

Edited by Mewtie

Very odd - I was viewing adults and all of a sudden the Xols - which WERE showing as a shadow on the encyclopedia main page - aren't any more. But my Venturis are unlocked just fine.

And they're back. OK....

Edited by Fuzzbucket