trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@blackmagicrose

I'm sad to I read this about your son and school in your state. I really hope he will stay healthy!

By the way, both BioNTech/Pfizer and Moderna already started an extra branch of their studies for teenagers between 12-16 (Mid-October 2020, BioNTech)  [Source, language German] and 12-17 (December 2020, Moderna) [Source, language German], but they still need to get the results for these. 

But I'm fairly sure the vaccines will be approved for kids of the age 12+ very fast after the study results are out.

------------

As of today, Tuesday, February 2, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 463 (-14) active cases, while 6155 (+44) people are considered to have recovered. 223 (+4) persons sadly died. 1029 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6837 (+34) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 98.2 (-1.4).

Currently 128 (+3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (-1) of them in intensive care, 11 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 71 194 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 4619 (1st jab) and 2088 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Wednesday, February 3, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 433 (-30) active cases, while 6199 (+44) people are considered to have recovered. 228 (+5) persons sadly died. 980 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6860 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 91.1 (-7.1).

Currently 134 (+6) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-1) of them in intensive care, 11 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 71 338 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 5622 (1st jab) and 2127 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

The Germany chart is looking a bit brighter again, too. Still too red, but at least not mainly dark-dark red any more:

Spoiler

germany-map.png

Source: ntv

------------

As of today, Thursday, February 4, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 400 (-33) active cases, while 6258 (+59) people are considered to have recovered. 228 (+-0) persons sadly died. 987 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6886 (+26) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 82.1 (-9.0).

Currently 134 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (+1) of them in intensive care, 11 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 71 468 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 5867 (1st jab) and 2392 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

We're getting the Astra-Zeneca vaccine here (which I'm actually happy about as they're a name I trust), but only for those aged 18 to 65. On behalf of my 85-year-old father, my 66-year-old stepmother was being quite vocal about her disgust at this fact. This may change going forward depending on results of further clinical studies with older patients. I wonder what I need to do to get myself on the to-be-vaccinated list.

@Lagie

The fact that several countries (among them Germany, by the way) don't approve the AstraZeneca vaccine for people over the age of 65 is not due to the fact that it wouldn't work for them, it's mainly because the original study wasn't constructed in a way that one can be sure it would work. The Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (German regulatory body for vaccines) said today they are waiting for additional data, and if the data looks good, they would of course widen their approval.

------------

As of today, Friday, February 5, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 386 (-14) active cases, while 6306 (+48) people are considered to have recovered. 230 (+2) persons sadly died. 932 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6922 (+36) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 73.5 (-8.5).

Currently 121 (-13) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-3) of them in intensive care, 9 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 71 529 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 6152 (1st jab) and 2523 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

17 minutes ago, Astreya said:

@Lagie

The fact that several countries (among them Germany, by the way) don't approve the AstraZeneca vaccine for people over the age of 65 is not due to the fact that it wouldn't work for them, it's mainly because the original study wasn't constructed in a way that one can be sure it would work. The Paul-Ehrlich-Institut (German regulatory body for vaccines) said today they are waiting for additional data, and if the data looks good, they would of course widen their approval.

Exactly! :) I understood that when I read it; my stepmother needed to have it explained to her by several people who replied to her post.

While the number of cases seems to go down a bit at the moment, there are still way too many people in hospital. There are also far too many deaths still.  So far it seems that the Covid10 mutants from the UK and South Africa haven't spread too far yet in Germany, but I fear there will be major surges as soon as the restrictions are loosened again.

------------

As of today, Saturday, February 6, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 382 (-4) active cases, while 6334 (+28) people are considered to have recovered. 232 (+2) persons sadly died. 886 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6948 (+26) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 73.1 (-0.4).

Currently 128 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+2) of them in intensive care, 8 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 71 574 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 6447 (1st jab) and 3023 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

My 91 year old mother got the Moderna vaccine on Thursday. It was a pain going thru the CDC VAMS website to book the appointment, but we were easily able to make the appointment with little wait time.

Clinic was strictly 75 and older.

I am double masking a lot of the time. I wear a 3 layer mask underneath my 4 layer kn95.

my mom got the first shot of the moderna vaccine on tuesday.  she lives in an over-65 community, and she said they were very organized about the whole thing.

she was very tired tuesday late afternoon/evening, but was back to her usual self the next day,  she gets the second dose on feb 23rd.

on the other hand, me, hubby and daughters are in the "everyone else" groups.  i have lots of three-layer cotton fabric masks that i can wear as well.

Wow that's great that your mothers already got the first shot of the vaccine! My parents still have to wait until the end of March (!). So much for "German efficiency". The vaccination centres were set up in mid-December, but the procurement of the vaccine left much to be desired.

The set up of the appointment was another mess. It took me four days to get a date for both of them, and then another four days until I could print out the papers for the appointment, information, anamnesis, declaration of consent (in 4 copies per person). On the plus side, they got both appointments for first and second jab already, and I managed to get both Mom and Dad the appointments on the same day at the same time (12 minutes apart, that is), so that they can go together (with the speed the available dates disappeared on the website, this was a welcome surprise!). They will definitely get the BioNTech vaccine as that's the vaccine that's announced on their consent forms for them.

------------

As of today, Sunday, February 7, 10:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 366 (-16) active cases, while 6365 (+31) people are considered to have recovered. 234 (+2) persons sadly died. 794 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6965 (+17) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 74.0 (+0.9).

Currently 123 (-5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (-1) of them in intensive care, 8 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 6555 (1st jab) and 3033 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

I may be SOL on getting the vaccine because my sister and I share a couple of the same drug allergies and she isn't getting it because of her allergies to a couple of drugs. I can't ask her because we don't speak (she wishes me dead for whatever reason). That is one thing I am concerned about is because I have a drug allergies list a mile long, but I am also high risk for the virus killing me if I were to contract it. I am more worried about all the schools starting to open back up now and the teachers haven't even had the second vaccination. How stupid can they be??? Kids can't be vaccinated and they carry so many germs and such. My son hasn't been sick this entire time he's been doing home schooling. Prior to this he was sick all the time with a cold or sinus infection or something. I really worry about him because he was a preemie and is deemed a medically fragile child, but he started going back to school this past week anyway. Tuesday's and Thursday's from 12:30 to 2:30pm. His Dad has custody and they didn't discuss anything with me at all. They said home schooling wasn't working which I call BS because when I have done Kian's school work with him we have done it and I don't have to fight him to do it or anything. I pretty much am sure when his stepmom said it wasn't working she really meant it wasn't working for her. We are NEVER going to get this thing under control if we don't stop opening things up prematurely. We really need to get a good chunk of the population vaccinated before we even remotely consider opening things up and easing restrictions. I know that isn't what people want to hear or what they want to do but that is part of the reason we're where we are nearly a year later. No one wants to do what is best for everyone, they are just focused on themselves and what they want to do versus what they should be doing. Oregon is bad for this line of thinking. And I hate that people are that selfish that they refuse to look at all the science behind everything.

Looks like this weekend's winter incursion with heavy snow, ice and temperatures down to -20°C will be actually beneficial as people now stay home out of their own volition anyway. Otherwise, the numbers are staying still rather similar than during the last days and don't really go down much further.

------------

As of today, Monday, February 8, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 354 (-12) active cases, while 6403 (+38) people are considered to have recovered. 234 (+-0) persons sadly died. 744 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 6991 (+26) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 70.7 (-3.3).

Currently 121 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 8 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 6555 (1st jab) and 3261 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Tuesday, February 9, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 331 (-23) active cases, while 6435 (+32) people are considered to have recovered. 235 (+1) persons sadly died. 711 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7000 (+9) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 54.1 (-16.6).

Currently 118 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 75 908 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen (some hospitals reported their data a bit late)  .

There have been 6739 (1st jab) and 3551 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Wednesday, February 10, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 343 (+12) active cases, while 6446 (+11) people are considered to have recovered. 237 (+2) persons sadly died. 688 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7027 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 54.6 (+0.5).

Currently 118 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 75 968 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 6966 (1st jab) and 4018 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

--------------------

For the first time in ages, the 7-day incidence in Oberhausen is below 50 again. I really hope people will not start to get careless due to this.

germany-map.png 

------------

As of today, Thursday, February 11, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 322 (-21) active cases, while 6498 (+52) people are considered to have recovered. 238 (+1) persons sadly died. 664 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7058 (+31) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 44.6 (-10.0).

Currently 118 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 12 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 015 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 7280 (1st jab) and 4018 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

We are finally getting some good news about the virus here.

11-MORNING-3subUSCASES-articleLarge.png

And more importantly, deaths are down, too.

11-MORNING-subUSDEATHS-articleLarge.png

Now, if we can just get the vaccine into more people and keep from getting too complacent about taking precautions...

That is good. I hope people can keep doing the right thing.

Astra Zeneca's been approved for the over 65's so a lot of Bahamians are happier today. I'm not sure when the rollout will begin, though.

@Lagie

I hope that the Bahamas vaccine roll-out will be done at top speed, so that things will be a bit safer for you, too!

@purplehaze

These curves look like a real relief for you! I'll keep my fingers crossed that your new administration with proper adults and scientists at the helm will manage to convince the people to follow science and common sense to get things properly under control ASAP!

In Germany the numbers look quite promising, too, even though there are still way too many deaths.

Source for the graphics:  https://www.n-tv.de/infografik/Coronavirus-aktuelle-Zahlen-Daten-zur-Epidemie-in-Deutschland-Europa-und-der-Welt-article21604983.html

Daily cases are the grey bars, the 7-day-average is marked by the red curve:

covid-cases.png

Daily cases are the grey bars, the 7-day-average is marked by the black curve:

covid-deaths.png

The main problem is that there are some of the faster spreading mutants already made their way to Germany, too. The lockdown here is extended until the end of February, but of course more and more people call for less restrictions and faster. They are wound-up that the incidence for easing the lockdown was lowered from 50 to 35, but they obviously don't realise how dangerous a faster spreading mutant can become.

By the way, here's an interesting interview (in English) with our top virology expert Prof.Dr.Christian Drosten from the Charité in Berlin: https://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/interview-with-virologist-christian-drosten-i-am-quite-apprehensive-about-what-might-otherwise-happen-in-spring-and-summer-a-f22c0495-5257-426e-bddc-c6082d6434d5

------------

As of today, Friday, February 12, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 293 (-29) active cases, while 6432 (+34) people are considered to have recovered. 239 (+1) persons sadly died. 645 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7064 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 37.0 (-7.6).

Currently 115 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 14 (+2) of them in intensive care, 8 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 327 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 7562 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Saturday, February 13, 11:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 285 (-8) active cases, while 6437 (+5) people are considered to have recovered. 243 (+3) persons sadly died. 611 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7064 (+-0) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 40.8 (+3.8).

Currently 111 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (-1) of them in intensive care, 7 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 366 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 7829 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

------------

As of today, Sunday, February 14, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 288 (+3) active cases, while 6450 (+13) people are considered to have recovered. 242 (+-0) persons sadly died. 573 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7080 (+16) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 42.7 (+1.9).

Currently 98 (-13) persons are treated in hospitals, with 13 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 8109 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

I am really hoping that I can see about getting the vaccine soon because my son is medically fragile. My parents and I are all high risk as well. My main worry is my kiddo though. He turns 13 in April so he lacks a few years from being able to get the vaccine. I really hope they can start getting these vaccines out at top speed and getting this thing under control. It's been such a battle here in Oregon to get people to stop going to the beaches, parks and camping spots. We still fished out of the Dory at Pacific City but we fished to stock the freezer up with food for the winter. It wasn't a day trip to the beach to hang out with a bunch of people on the beach. I can understand fishing for food and hunting for food but not really the camping and stuff. Does anyone have any idea on if this is going to be something like the flu shot that we get yearly? Are we going to have to get these shots yearly to be protected or is that still an unknown factor right now? Stay safe and healthy everyone!!!

2 hours ago, blackmagicrose said:

Does anyone have any idea on if this is going to be something like the flu shot that we get yearly? Are we going to have to get these shots yearly to be protected or is that still an unknown factor right now? Stay safe and healthy everyone!!!

Possibly, alas, mainly because of the variants.

Stay safe!

Edited by Lagie

@blackmagicrose

Astrazeneca are currently starting studies with kids from 6 years upwards. Both BioNTech and Modera conduct studies for kids over 12 years already, so I think the approval for kids to get vaccinated is only a matter of time now.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/13/oxford-astrazeneca-covid-vaccine-to-be-tested-on-children-as-young-as-six

As for the possible need for a yearly vaccination - I think it is very likely. The German Health Minister Jens Spahn recently ordered another some ten million doses of the BioNTech vaccine (including any updated versions, that is) particularly as he expects that the virus might come up with newer mutations so that people need a boost of their original vaccination in Autumn or thereafter.

------------

As of today, Monday, February 15, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 284 (-4) active cases, while 6573 (+23) people are considered to have recovered. 242 (+-0) persons sadly died. 535 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7099 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 49.3 (+6.6).

Currently 95 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (-2) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 8327 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

virus might come up with newer mutations so that people need a boost of their original vaccination in Autumn or thereafter.

Ooh, that's soon. Not even a year from the first.

We had 27 new cases Thursday (! the highest number in almost two weeks! 24 on Jan 30th was next highest.), 20 of those on my island, for a new overall total of 8,359 cases. 179 people have died. :(

@Lagie

It seems that there is even a new strain (B1525) discovered in the UK that appears to be an "upgraded" version of B117.

The team say the variant has similarities in its genome to the Kent variant, B117, and it contains a number of mutations that have worried researchers, including the E484K mutation to the spike protein – a protein found on the outside of the virus that plays an important role in helping the virus to enter cells.

This E484K mutation is present in variants that emerged in South African and Brazil and is thought make the virus better able to evade neutralising antibodies produced by the body.

Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/feb/15/32-cases-of-latest-covid-variant-of-concern-found-in-uk

Edited by Astreya

so here's a fun goodie - next month i'm going for what i've been calling a "routine old-person procedure" - and i have to go for a covid test at the beginning of the week.

i'm not looking forward to either - the covid test or the procedure - but at least i'll know if i'm negative, right? XD 

1 hour ago, Astreya said:

It seems that there is even a new strain (B1525) discovered in the UK that appears to be an "upgraded" version of B117.

:o That's not good.

1 hour ago, trystan said:

next month i'm going for what i've been calling a "routine old-person procedure" - and i have to go for a covid test at the beginning of the week.

Wait? Old person? You're not old!

I hope that test is negative for you!

14 minutes ago, Lagie said:

Wait? Old person? You're not old!

I hope that test is negative for you!

well i certainly don't feel old, but but apparently 50 is a magic number for ... certain procedures and stuff.

i hope it's negative as well!

@Lagie

The more people get infected and work as incubators for SARS-CoV2, the more mutations we will get. That's why it is so important that the vaccines get out into the whole world as otherwise we'd always get fresh mutations re-imported from the regions where the virus is still going strong and is thus able to mutate.

@trystan

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that everything is fine!

While the number of new infections seems to go down, the number of people who need to get hospitalised stays pretty much the same. IMO that shows how long these persons need to stay put, which is quite a while.

-----------

As of today, Tuesday, February 16, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 264 (-20) active cases, while 6595 (+22) people are considered to have recovered. 244 (+2) persons sadly died. 518 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7103 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 44.6 (-4.7).

Currently 102 (+7) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 422 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 8487 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

3 hours ago, Astreya said:

@trystan

I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that everything is fine!

thanks! i'm not looking forward to getting a swab stuffed up my nose though!

@trystan

I bet! Unfortunately that's still one of the most precise methods. There are other tests where you have to gargle and spit out the resulting stuff, but there it is not always a given that you get enough material from the back of the throat and it is more likely to get a false negative.

@Astreya yeah, i get that.  i'm looking forward to the covid test as much as i'm looking forward to the procedure i need to have the test for XD  (which is to say: not at all.)