trystan

Coronavirus Discussion

@trystan

I had a Covid-19 test done back in August before I went in for emergency hernia surgery. It wasn't nearly as bad as the flu tests I have had done where it feels like they are picking your brain. It tickled more than anything. And it came back negative. We have had several people we know get it or have people they know get it and have a really rough go of it. My ex-husband's Mom got it and pulled through but the doctors told them that if she had had one of the more severe strains she likely wouldn't have survived. She was in the ICU for a few weeks as is. If nothing else wear two masks. Apparently that is showing signs of being more effective. Blessed Be and Stay Safe!!!

@trystan

Fortunately so far I haven't had the necessity to get tested. Frankly, I hope I will be able to get around it for a while longer!

@blackmagicrose

It's good to hear that at least you didn't experience too much discomfort due to the test and that it came back negative!  And even better that your ex-husband's Mom managed to recover from this drat virus.

-----------

As of today, Wednesday, February 17, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 250 (-14) active cases, while 6631 (+36) people are considered to have recovered. 249 (+5) persons sadly died. 519 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7130 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 45.5 (+0.9).

Currently 103 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 672 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 8741 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Thursday, February 18, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 262 (+12) active cases, while 6657 (+26) people are considered to have recovered. 252 (+3) persons sadly died. 512 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7171 (+41) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 48.9 (+3.4).

Currently 103 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 11 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 76 727 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 8971 (1st jab) and 4150 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Friday, February 19, 08:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 271 (+9) active cases, while 6673 (+16) people are considered to have recovered. 254 (+2) persons sadly died. 611 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7198 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 53.1 (+4.2).

Currently 92 (-9) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (-1) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 001 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 9141 (1st jab) and 4134 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

[Source: Stadt Oberhausen]

-----------

As of today, Saturday, February 20, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 278 (+7) active cases, while 6690 (+17) people are considered to have recovered. 257 (+3) persons sadly died. 579 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7225 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 56.0 (+2.9).

Currently 90 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-1) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 056 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 9342 (1st jab) and 4150 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya -i was hoping to never have to get tested, honestly. XD

my mom gets her second dose of the vaccine next tuesday! :)

6 hours ago, blackmagicrose said:

@trystan

I had a Covid-19 test done back in August before I went in for emergency hernia surgery. .... It tickled more than anything. And it came back negative. ..... If nothing else wear two masks. Apparently that is showing signs of being more effective. Blessed Be and Stay Safe!!!

thanks, blackmagicrose.  yeah, i've also heard it "tickles" sometimes... and my nose is always itchy, this is going to be fun. ugh.

my fabric masks have three layers now, so that's also a good mask to have too.  thanks! and blessed be to you too! :)

Edited by trystan
i.... don't know where i left my brain this morning.

12 hours ago, trystan said:

@Astreya -i was hoping to never have to get tested, honestly. XD

my mom gets her second dose of the vaccine next tuesday! :)

thanks, blackmagicrose.  yeah, i've also heard it "tickles" sometimes... and my nose is always itchy, this is going to be fun. ugh.

my fabric masks have three layers now, so that's also a good mask to have too.  thanks! and blessed be to you too! :)

I hope your test is negative, and I'm so happy for your mother! Which vaccine did she get?

I got my parents signed up for their vaccines tomorrow!! They'll be getting their first dose of the Pfizer vaccine!

28 minutes ago, purpledragonclaw said:

I hope your test is negative, and I'm so happy for your mother! Which vaccine did she get?

oh me too!

and thanks... she got the 3-week one... Pfizer, i think.

After the numbers went down until Thursday, since then they started creeping up again. It appears that the B1.1.7 mutant of SARS-CoV2 becomes more prominent in Germany, too. Two weeks ago, its prevalence was around 6%, a week later 22% and I'm curious how the percentage will look this week.

-----------

As of today, Sunday, February 21, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 281 (+3) active cases, while 6710 (+20) people are considered to have recovered. 257 (+-0) persons sadly died. 558 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7248 (+23) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 60.3 (+3.7).

Currently 92 (+2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 5 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 9563 (1st jab) and 4195 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Monday, February 22, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 275 (-6) active cases, while 6720 (+10) people are considered to have recovered. 257 (+-0) persons sadly died. 550 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7252 (+4) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 59.8 (-0.5).

Currently 91 (-1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 7 (-2) of them in intensive care, 4 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

There have been 9765 (1st jab) and 4196 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Tuesday, February 23, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 258 (-17) active cases, while 6743 (+23) people are considered to have recovered. 260 (+3) persons sadly died. 568 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7261 (+9) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 57.9 (-1.9).

Currently 91 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (+1) of them in intensive care, 5 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 109 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 9939 (1st jab) and 4196 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Wednesday, February 24, 09:30 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 264 (+6) active cases, while 6751 (+8)  people are considered to have recovered. 265 (+5) persons sadly died. 583 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7280 (+19) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 52.7 (-5.2).

Currently 87 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+2) of them in intensive care, 7 (+2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 358 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 10 259 (1st jab) and 4200 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Got first dose of Moderna vaccine today :D

37 minutes ago, JaneMcAsh said:

Got first dose of Moderna vaccine today :D

13 minutes ago, trystan said:

my mom got her second dose of the Pfizer vaccine today! :) 

Yay and yay!

We're still waiting for ours to arrive in-country.

@JaneMcAsh  @trystan

Congrats! My parents still have to wait another month - and I'm not due anytime in the near future myself.  -_-'

-----------

As of today, Thursday, February 25, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 274 (+10) active cases, while 6762 (+11)  people are considered to have recovered. 271 (+6) persons sadly died. 584 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7307 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 49.3 (-3.4).

Currently 81 (-6) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-1) of them in intensive care, 7 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 405 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 10 462 (1st jab) and 5244 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Friday, February 26, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 275 (+1) active cases, while 6803 (+41)  people are considered to have recovered. 275 (+4) persons sadly died. 595 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7353 (+46) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 55.0 (+5.7).

Currently 76 (-5) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 405 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 10 594 (1st jab) and 5923 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Saturday, February 27, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 262 (-13) active cases, while 6829 (+26)  people are considered to have recovered. 279 (+4) persons sadly died. 595 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7370 (+17) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 53.6 (-1.4).

Currently 74 (-2) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (-1) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 496 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 10 810 (1st jab) and 6069 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

4 hours ago, Astreya said:

and I'm not due anytime in the near future myself.  -_-'

i have no idea where in line i am, i know my state has Phases 1A, 1B, 1C, and 2, and i'm in 2.  i thought it appeared they've combined all of the parts of Phase 1 together, but then i saw an article about a walk-in vaccine clinic available to people in phase 1A. i don't know anymore.

however, i did get an email from the hospital system my doctor's office is associated with, and i can put my name on a waiting list.  i wonder if i can also put hubby and younger daughter on that list too.  younger daughter really ought to get her vaccine before she moves back in August out to the city where her college is.  older daughter lives with my in-laws a few counties over, so she'll probably figure something out when she's eligible too.

I am on a list with our county and am supposed to get an email when I am eligible and there are appointments available.

According to the state I am eligible now as they have combined all the phase 1 categories. But I think the county is still going phase by phase, which means it will be a few more months before I am eligible according to them. I also put hubby and myself on a list for our local hospital and I'm not sure which schedule they are using!  I am not stressing about it. I will get it when i get it.

I just wish I could spend time with my granddaughter again! That is the worst part of this whole thing!

I'm happy to learn that some of you are able to get vaccinated already.  I haven't been so lucky, but I'm still trying.  I've been in the first list, after essential medical workers, due to my age and disability.   There is talk that once the Johnson & Johnson vaccine is available, some agency will arrange to take it around to those people who are homebound and I'm hoping to be able to take advantage of that.

Let me tell you what's been happening here. Three weeks ago my Aide went shopping for me and while she was in the store a man followed her and coughed on her.  Then came the weekend and Monday was a snow day. On Tuesday she came here sick but said she tested negative for Covid at one of those urgent care places.  I sent her home early.  She didn't show up the next day, or the day after that, which wasn't like her at all.  And, her agency didn't call me or send someone else.  So, I did what a lot of old ladies would do; I started calling up hospitals and eventually found out where she was.  Of course she had Covid  but was able to come home after  4 or 5 days.  When I called the agency, they ended up putting me on quarantine for two weeks.   So there I was with no fresh groceries and garbage piling up for that whole time. Yesterday they finally sent someone to go to the store and do a few chores like the garbage. 

Thank goodness I didn't catch it even though I was exposed.  I have COPD and am on oxygen 24/7. If I had, it might have been the end of me.  And I really hope my Aide recovers soon and comes back here.  She's been helping me for about a year and a  half and I really miss her cheerful presence. 

That is something that is really bothering me, what if people are homebound? Even if up first on the NY list if you can get around, what are you supposed to do?

Your aide, should have had her vaccination by then I would think, she is a health care worker.

I will say a prayer for her and you both, please take care.

27 minutes ago, Bigbite said:

I will say a prayer for her and you both, please take care.

Thank you, Bigbite.   Under ideal circumstances my aide and I would have gone to get vaccinated together, but  we were unable to find anywhere to schedule appointments.  In fact, her agency is offering a bonus to any of the aides who bring them proof of having had both shots.  I stopped looking to make an appointment after she got sick but I called the county Office of the Ageing yesterday  and they will notify me if anyone will be giving vaccinations to the homebound.  There might be a bigger supply of vaccine now, but going out to a drugstore for it presents a whole other problem as well.

After I started typing this I just got a phone call from one of my neighbors. She just tested positive too. That makes two people (not counting my aide) who are sick right now, on my floor, in the apartment complex where I live.  

@Stormcaller I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. There have been so many people falling through the cracks with this rollout and we really need to get it to the people who need it most as soon as possible. I'm glad that you're alright, and hopefully it's smoother sailing for you and your aide from here on out.

1 hour ago, soullessheartofsteel said:

@Stormcaller I'm so sorry to hear what happened to you. There have been so many people falling through the cracks with this rollout and we really need to get it to the people who need it most as soon as possible. I'm glad that you're alright, and hopefully it's smoother sailing for you and your aide from here on out.

Thank you, soullessheartofsteel.  I still haven't heard anything more about her but I hope she is recovering well. 

I called my sick neighbor today and she doesn't seem to be doing too badly.  Let's just hope she stays that way.  :D

5 hours ago, Stormcaller said:

I called my sick neighbor today and she doesn't seem to be doing too badly.  Let's just hope she stays that way.  :D

Yes, I hope she will. And I hope you will stay well and find a way to get the vaccine soon! The whole process has been such a mess everywhere it seems.

@trystan  @purplehaze

Good luck that you and all of the people around you will get their vaccination ASAP!

@Stormcaller

I really hope that you will stay healthy and that your aide and the neighbour of your will fully recover as soon as possible.

Here the vaccinations are rolled out way too slowly still. I have to figure out how to be able to get one of the mRNA vaccines as I'm allergic to raw chicken egg and normal vector vaccines are produced via chicken eggs. *sighs* This means I might have to wait even longer for my vaccination as they now want to vaccinate all people under 65 with the AstraZeneca vaccine first and reserve the mRNA vaccines for the older people.

-----------

As of today, Sunday, February 28, 09:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 257 (-5) active cases, while 6855 (+26)  people are considered to have recovered. 279 (+-0) persons sadly died. 586 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7391 (+21) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 56.0 (+2.4).

Currently 70 (-4) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 496 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 11 036 (1st jab) and 6196 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

@purplehaze    @Astreya   Many thanks for your good wishes. :D

8 hours ago, Astreya said:

Here the vaccinations are rolled out way too slowly still. I have to figure out how to be able to get one of the mRNA vaccines as I'm allergic to raw chicken egg and normal vector vaccines are produced via chicken eggs. *sighs* This means I might have to wait even longer for my vaccination as they now want to vaccinate all people under 65 with the AstraZeneca vaccine first and reserve the mRNA vaccines for the older people.

That's another whole problem I wasn't aware of.  Won't your doctor give you a medical exemption for that? 

@Stormcaller

I will definitely have to talk to her. The question is more about the accessibility. AFAIK the GPs will mainly get the AstraZeneca vaccine to distribute as it is easier to handle, and I'm not sure how things will be set up logistically when it's my turn. I have to figure out if I can just go to one of the vaccination centres where currently mainly the elderly get vaccinated or will I have to go to my GP? Questions over questions and no answers yet.

-----------

As of today, Monday, March 1, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 234 (-23) active cases, while 6884 (+29)  people are considered to have recovered. 279 (+-0) persons sadly died. 557 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7397 (+6) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 55.5 (-0.5).

Currently 71 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 9 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 77 788 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 11 243 (1st jab) and 6199 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Tuesday, March 2, 12:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 228 (-6) active cases, while 6902 (+18)  people are considered to have recovered. 280 (+1) persons sadly died. 559 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7410 (+13) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 52.2 (-3.3).

Currently 72 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 8 (-1) of them in intensive care, 8 (-1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 78 308 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 11 486 (1st jab) and 6552 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Wednesday, March 3, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 244 (+16) active cases, while 6910 (+8)  people are considered to have recovered. 280 (+-0) persons sadly died. 556 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7434 (+24) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 57.4 (+5.2).

Currently 69 (-3) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+2) of them in intensive care, 9 (+1) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 78 376 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 11 730 (1st jab) and 6734 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

On 2/25/2021 at 10:42 AM, purplehaze said:

I just wish I could spend time with my granddaughter again! That is the worst part of this whole thing!

We've been lucky & are able to visit with our son & granddaughters who live near us (Austin, Texas), mostly because they have been seriously isolating. Youngest G-D (6) has epilepsy, so they can't take any chances!  Daughter in Florida wants desperately to come over. I keep saying no - so she's started working on her father (yes, she's daddy's girl). Once we get our 2nd vaccines, we'll probably go visit her.

Sadly the numbers are on the rise again here. Slowly, but still noticeably. According to the RKI, the percentage of the B 1.1.7 variant is steadily on the rise and found in about 40% of the infections in Germany. The really problematic thing is that more and more people are fed up with the restrictions and want to have their old lives back, which is really risky when there are more infectious virus strains around.

-----------

As of today, Thursday, March 4, 10:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 251 (+7) active cases, while 6924 (+14)  people are considered to have recovered. 286 (+6) persons sadly died. 551 persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7461 (+27) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 57.4 (+-0).

Currently 69 (+-0) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 9 (+-0) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 78 519 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 12 363 (1st jab) and 6969 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

-----------

As of today, Friday, March 5, 11:00 GMT+1, my home town (population 211 000) has 260 (+9) active cases, while 6945 (+21)  people are considered to have recovered. 287 (+1) persons sadly died. 576  persons are currently quarantined. All in all there have been 7492 (+31) people who suffered from Covid-19 since the beginning of the pandemic.

The number of newly infected people per 100 000 citizens in the last 7 days is 50.3 (-7.1).

Currently 70 (+1) persons are treated in hospitals, with 10 (+-0) of them in intensive care, 7 (-2) of these needing artificial respiration.

All in all there have been 78 565 Covid-19 tests in Oberhausen.

There have been 12 946 (1st jab) and 6969 (2nd jab) vaccinations so far.

Edited by Astreya

Oh man, good luck to everyone in Texas. Honestly I was shocked to hear that they were going to reopen 100%-- that seems audacious even for Texas. Especially with all those variants going around, and just after that horrible cold snap. Abbot and Cruz need to answer for their horrible governance over their constituents. 

And outside of Texas, I wonder how much we should worry about this causing a greater spike in infections nationwide, because the more opportunities we give the virus to reproduce and mutate, the more opportunities we give it to eventually evolve into something more resistant to the vaccines we have. We've been headed back onto the right track after this horrible winter, but we're dragging our feet with the vaccine rollout and our daily average of cases is still very high. Yes, warmer weather is coming, but if these variants are infectious enough and enough people ignore social distancing + masks, the fact that it's spring almost won't matter. We've already been through a year of this nonsense, I don't want to do one more.

Tennessee is pretty much opening fully as well. Gatherings of 1,000 ppl will be allowed, bars and restaurants will be open, no travel restrictions. I'm not happy.