Kakaru_of_DOOM

Introduce "Filter by: <breeding category>" Options

Previously, I attempted to suggest sorting dragons by breeding category, which was proven difficult to implement almost immediately due to disagreement over which order to sort dragons into. Now I've come to the (in retrospect, probably obvious) solution: filter by breeding category. Because each group would be separate, there should be no reason to squabble over who should be first. just like "Filter by: <group>," the filters will be alphabetised in the filter drop-down menu.

This would be useful to many users. Ever wanted to find all your pygmies to see if you had a stairstep just waiting for a properly-influenced CB of the breed you just grabbed? Or wanted to see if you have a two-headed with a code to go with what somebody is offering for trade? Trying to find that one described drake but can't remember his/her name? With this option, the search would be much easier!

This request would introduce:

- Filter by: Drake

- Filter by: Pygmy

- Filter by: Standard

- Filter by: Two-headed

- Filter by: Unbreedable

This request might introduce:

- Filter by: Frozen/immature

- Filter by: Parasite

Questions to be answered:

- Should vampires be listed among the unbreedable?

- Should frozen hatchlings be listed among the unbreedable?

+  If frozen hatchlings are NOT listed among the unbreedables, should there be a "Filter by: Frozen Hatchlings" category for them?

The "unbreedable" category would definitely include chickens, cheeses, papers, dinos, neglecteds, trees, zombies, and miscellaneous odds and ends (see Olympe's post).

The "Frozen/immature" filter for hatchlings that, because of their magical youth, will never reach breeding age. I am in favour of this being implemented.

The "Parasite" filter would isolate those breeds that reproduce by parasiting other breeds and transforming eggs. At the moment, vampires are the only in-cave dragon to do this, so it is easy to isolate them with the already-existent "sort by: breed" option. I am not in favour of a parasitic dragon filter being implemented at this time. Opinions on parasitic breeds are outside of the scope of this request.

If anyone else has opinions on breeding category filters, I would love to hear them.

Edited by Kakaru_of_DOOM

What do you mean by Parasite?  nvm you answered that further down, but I don't see the point for one breed.  they would already be under "unbreedable" also for frozen/hatchling: filter by age.  your scroll will then sort: eggs, growing hatchlings, frozen hatchlings (oldest to most recent based on date caught), then adults (same order).  

If these are meant to be "breeding filters" rather scroll sorting, why would unbreedables/hatchlings show at all?  It's also already possible to do everything here by using Groups.  And yes, depending on how many dragons you have, it takes forever when you first do it, but regular upkeep after is quick and easy. 

Edited by DragonLady86

Personally, I would prefer a category for frozen hatchlings and *not* have them under the unbreedable tag. However, I don't know how important the "unbreedable" tag in and of itself is - after all, you can't really do anything with unbreedables.

Also, shouldn't unbreedables also include Neglecteds? And what about special cases like https://dragcave.net/lineage/bb19 or https://dragcave.net/lineage/IHOP, not to mention Leetle Trees (which, technically, are frozen - but probably were never meant to be breedable in the first place)?

Apart from that, I'm definitely in favor of this. Because it makes finding your dragons of the respective breeding group that much easier. (I have around 7500 adult dragons. My Pygmies, 2-Headeds and Drakes are all over the place.)

I had forgotten about neglecteds and leetle trees, but yes, they should be among the unbreedables. Thanks for pointing them out, Olympe. I've added them to the first post.

I'm not sure about how useful the 'unbreedables' filter would be either, but I didn't want to leave them out. I suspect it will be the least-used of the proposed filters, but there's a chance somebody, will appreciate it. Maybe to count their total unbreedables without hunting them all down and doing addition?

I wouldn't be opposed to this idea at all. :3 I think it could be a useful tool.

I would think that Unbreedables would include zombies, neggies, vampires, cheeses, papers and their ilk, yes?

I'd support this. A note though: frozens should filter in with the rest of their breed, BUT ALSO there should be a "filter by frozen" bit as well.

I agree with the underlying problem statement here, it'd be nice to be have easier ways to slice your dragons (figuratively, that is). I've been toying around with an idea that I think would solve this, but in a different manner: a "search" function for your scrolls.

My vision for that sort of thing is that there would be a bunch if implicit "tags" you can search for (this actually currently exists in limited form on the selector used fertility/group pages--try typing in #cb or #2g or #alpine or #reddragon) alongside your actual query (or just by themselves). This opens the door to potentially add explicit tags to dragons as well (or avoid introducing nearly-redundant concepts by just searching by group membership, so then I could, for example, search "#breedable #thuweds").

42 minutes ago, TJ09 said:

(this actually currently exists in limited form on the selector used fertility/group pages--try typing in #cb or #2g or #alpine or #reddragon)

WAIT. Please tell me that I wasn't the only one who didn't know this. Excuse my excitement but this is amazing! :wub:

I sure hope I haven't forgotten about it the next time I actually need it.

More searchable tags in that form would help a ton... definitely looking forward to such a change. ^_^

2 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

How do you do that on the group pages ?

When you go into the group and click on "add dragons" you get the same sort of list as you get for fertility.

And if you type in, let's say, "red", you get a list of every dragon with "red" somewhere in its name (even if it's just part of the word, like "colored"), then all Red Dragons, then all Red-Finned Tidals. I don't know about Red Dinos because I don't have them, and that's not their official name anyway.

1 hour ago, purplehaze said:

When you go into the group and click on "add dragons" you get the same sort of list as you get for fertility.

Ah - thanks. (I knew about the typing in stuff, but never thought of going for "add to group"...)

When I try to put multiple search terms into the group search page, the results I get are an "OR" function of the two search terms. Is it possible to program/provide an "AND" function? For example, when I put in "#cb #reddreagon" I got both my CBs and my red dragons.

I would like to be able to put the two terms in and find only my CB red dragons. Is this possible?

2 hours ago, Kakaru_of_DOOM said:

When I try to put multiple search terms into the group search page, the results I get are an "OR" function of the two search terms. Is it possible to program/provide an "AND" function? For example, when I put in "#cb #reddreagon" I got both my CBs and my red dragons.

I would like to be able to put the two terms in and find only my CB red dragons. Is this possible?

That doesn't sound right. It should all be AND.

I like this! 

Or a search function.

That is good too.