Moonlight_Eevee

Shorten Christmas/Valentine's Day Drops

As opposed to making Halloween longer, these two major holidays probably needs to be shortened to a day or two. 

• There's no reason to have 3 days of limited eggs dropping, especially since they clutter up the ap since hardly anyone can pick them up
  • You can only grab 2 and unless the limits raise to where you can grab more than just 2, mostly everyone will have the eggs they want, code hunters or not.

I support making Halloween longer in order to make it match Val and Xmas, but definitely not the other way around. Personally I don't see the 3-day event as a problem at all - I'm actually very glad for it as many people don't have time to be on DC on the actual event days, and the third day can be really helpful for those of us who are busy. I'd support raising the egg limit from 2 to combat the AP thing you mentioned, but please, no shortening the event.

The AP being blocked by CBs that only a few people can pick up is a problem, but I do not support making the drops shorter.

Especially on Christmas, there are people who have to (or want to) participate in family events that keep them from playing DC. Of course three days might still be too short for those who (e.g.) visit family without usable internet, and it's much too long for those who are online all the time and grab their eggs in the first hour... so there has to be a compromise, and I think three days is fine.

I'm neutral on this. If a reduction to 48 hours is deemed necessary by the powers that be in order to prolong Halloween to the same time span, then I'm fine with it. 

Regarding the problem of eggs in the AP that pretty much nobody can pick up - well, we could just make them un-abandonable (while keeping them tradeable). I wouldn't really mind that. ;) 

Since Halloween and Valentine are technically only a single day a year in the real world I'm fine with those being the same time in DC (never really understood why Vday eggs need to drop for 3 days since the "holiday" itself is long done by the time the eggs stop dropping). Christmas (or "winter holiday of your choice") is celebrated for several days in many cultures so it makes sense to prolong special egg drops imho.

That being said, I'm neutral-ish but leaning more towards "no". Shorten Vday = fine by me, shorten Xmas = please don't.

I don't think they should be shortened. The holidays are a busy time and many people spend the actual holiday with friends and family and may not have time to get online, so I'm glad we have the extra days. It's less of a concern around Valentine's day but for consistency I would rather neither of them change. I would hate for someone to forget that the Valentine's drop had shortened and miss out on grabbing their eggs because they thought they had 3 days to do it.

IMHO, Dragon Cave is great just the way it is, although it would be nice if a few more eggs dropped at a time.

As someone who was around back when the Valentine's drop was the same as the Halloween one, absolutely not. I would rather Halloween get extended to 48 hours and the other holidays keep going as they are.

Don't really care either way about this suggestion, don't mind it staying just as it is, but I really must point out: The AP walls that most people can't pick up, that's completely our own doing. That shouldn't be considered a reason either for or against a drop-length change, since that is all down to the users. We choose to abandon eggs to the AP, for whatever reason. If it's become an issue, perhaps an awareness-thread here on the forums could help inform people that abandoning limited CBs may do more harm than good. 

Another vote for keeping Christmas and Valentine egg drops and their events going on for three day, for the good reasons stated above. I think that Halloween egg drops and events should go for the three days as well. It might be a good idea for all three holiday egg drops should be open to filling up all one's empty egg slots as well.

If people are spending the holidays doing things with their friends and family then they may not be able to get online as easily, especially on the actual day of the holiday. Having the eggs drop for a couple days after can be a big help to people, especially if they're travelling to visit family.

That doesn't apply to Hallowe'en I think. Or, indeed to Valentine's.

3 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Are you talking about people spending the day with friends/family? Because I think it does apply. People go out to parties with friends, those with kids may be out trick-or-treating on Halloween, and people with significant others may plan to spend Valentine's Day together.

People aren't trick or treating all day. And likewise - when there are only 2 eggs to be caught, that can work around a romantic day together,. Christmas is something else.

Halloween has been the busiest day of the year for me, in the past. I used to host Halloween parties and I'd often end up finishing my costume or party decor (or just decor for trick or treaters) at the last minute. If it fell on a workday I'd have no free time. People celebrate holidays differently and just because my husband and I don't do more for Valentine's day than say "Happy Valentine's day!" to each other and maybe grab a bottle of wine doesn't mean I'll assume it goes that way for everyone else. Dragon Cave holidays should add to the holiday fun, not to the holiday stress! :)

On Christmas schools and most jobs are closed. On Halloween and Valentine's Day people will probably spend a full day at work or school and then do their celebrating when they get home. It can be even busier on those days than when the have a day (and probably the next day as well) off.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

The AP walls that most people can't pick up, that's completely our own doing. That shouldn't be considered a reason either for or against a drop-length change, since that is all down to the users. We choose to abandon eggs to the AP, for whatever reason.

Definitely agree with this part!

And with regards to Halloween, I completely agree with UnicornMaiden and GhostMouse. Plenty of people are busy all-day on Halloween. One can't claim that things aren't an issue for anyone just because they don't affect you! xD

No change, please. I like being able to drop the new CBs while searching for specific codes, and I like taking my time while doing so.

5 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

People don't get those days off, and treat-or-treating and parties are a major thing. You'd have a stronger (not much stronger, but stronger) argument for Valentine's, and that's already been extended to three days. 

I think there are better solutions to the issue of CB eggs blocking the cave on val/xmas, e.g. maybe make CB eggs in the AP page not affected by the space limit? Would let ppl pick things up from the biomes who dont have them and ppl grab extras and unblock the ap?

Either way I am against shortening for the same reasons as others, that being not everyone is available on the day. But I am for extension as some people arent available on Halloween day itself, or get lagged into oblivion in most of the times that they are like I was XD 

A better solution is to drop more eggs at Halloween.  The fact that the biomes are completely empty for the vast majority of the time is proof enough that there just aren't enough eggs.  If the number just doubled, it would still be plenty competitive.  The drops at five minutes were gone in less than 60 seconds most of the time.  That, combined with the lag, made it more chore than fun.

I don't think making things harder for people at Christmas and Valentines really balances the difficulty at Halloween. The fix needs to be for Halloween, not the other holidays.

Raising the scroll limit for Christmas/Valentine CBs would easily take care of the "problem" of CBs blocking the AP!

I like having three days to catch eggs and don't want it to change. I wouldn't mind an extra day for Halloween though.

I'm also on the no side. As much as I love Halloween, it isn't a "serious" holiday like Christmas for seemingly the majority. It's meant to about having fun and being a little greedy. Christmas, on the other hand, often means traveling out of state to see family and/or religious celebration. They're not on the same level. I have no comment on Valentine's.

This comes up every year because someone isn't able to catch the new Halloween breed. Changing the other holidays does not solve the true problems with the Halloween release: crazy lag + short drops. Was the lag bad? Yes. But I still managed to catch 8 for myself on mobile around my college classes, an 8-hour work shift, and my best friend going into labor. It can be done. I'm not against adding a day though. Two? Definitely not. The last day would be just as bad as the first, if not worse. I'd also like to point out that people will still miss the drop entirely--even if it were to last a week. There will be sour feelings no matter what. It's simply impossible to meet everyone's individual needs

I really don't understand the logic behind this suggestion. Would it better for people to complain about all three instead of just one? Because that's not how solutions should work.

Edited by The Dragoness