Duskwing472

Shards for Username change

Scroll number? Where is it?

I am one of users that would like to change their scroll name. I think that paying shards for changing it isn't bad. It would be for example 1000 shards and it would have some cooldown.

Or without cooldown.

Or it would be free, but with some cooldown.

Or user would be able to change their username without limits, but if he does it too often, then he would face a cooldown. For example, a month or longer. Sounds easy?

EDIT:

After reading your opinions in this and second different thread, I would say that last option seems to have more sense, especially when we can change our forum name without paying anything.

Edited by Cyberr

I don't know anywhere that lets you change more often than once a month.

Your scroll number is to be found in one of the DC cookies. It SEEMS to be the one called i - but I can't FIND it in opera !

You CAN find it the hard way by opening the source code for your scroll, and go for "find in page"  - userId - which has the number right next to it.

Thank you! I'll check it later.

I thought that it would get rid of typo problem, for example. But suggestion that Olympe made would also work, I'm talking about 24 hours of getting sure of taking another username.

I don't think typos should be of much concern. If anyone's changing their username, and they know the change is strictly limited (by shards or time or whatever else), they'd check the name many times to make sure it's right.

I'd like scroll change, and I'm in agreement that the 10k cost is too much. Personally, I think a yearly cap is fine and we don't really need a cost incentive at all.

I wouldn't change my username, but I can understand where others are coming from. Speaking as a former mod on another site that eventually allowed username changes (for a price - 500 passes, which at its cheapest is $9[USD] if you just decide to pay instead of work for it) I do feel that:

1. There should be a limit on the number of times you can change (say 3-5 times, just to prevent one person from taking all variants of a name)

1.5 Old names should be forever retired from use to prevent impersonation abuse (Sure, they wouldn't have all the dragons of the original but if a new player doesn't know that and just knows the name...)

2. There should be a limit on how often (no more than twice a year)

3. It should cost shards to change (again, help prevent abuse and make people carefully consider their next choice of name [such as instead of going from BeiberLover to BeiberHater since you now hate Justin Bieber - you go with something you [probably] won't end up wanting to change])

4. Displaying an old scroll name should be OPTIONAL. Some might have changed due to abuse and dont want their old name known (though their scroll number would still be the same). Others might not care (such as Marionetta deciding to display her old lowercase scrollname against her new uppercase [just an example])

Just a few thoughts on the matter from someone who has seen the good [and bad] from changing usernames, and supports the idea.

Edited by ShorahNagi

We need to see name history to avoid scamming - people who have been "found out" and change their scroll names to try again. Just as we can track them on forum.

I'm torn on the old username being visible. I personally don't care all too much. but there are people who do. There are several even larger petsite communities without that feature, but what they all do have is an ID# system. I believe a shift to an ID or "user code" system could make the need for displaying old usernames would be, essentially, obsolete, so long as the user ID system was implemented before the actual username change system. 

In the past I've strongly supported old usernames being visible, mostly because of possible scamming and such. In an older thread I tried to explain how name changes can be misused. For instance if you have multiple bad trading experiences with User A and decide to mentally 'blacklist' them but then User A changes their name so you have no idea that User X is actually User A, which means you won't think twice about trade interactions with User X (and will likely get pretty frustrated when you realize this is the same person you refused to trade with before and you had no clue). 

I think I may have been against this idea in general awhile back, but now I kinda-sorta support it in certain ways. I think limiting changes to once a year is a good idea, I also think using shards for changes would be a great addition to the shards mechanic... I wonder if there could be both? Like, one free username change per year, and if you want you can pay shards to get an extra change within that year. Although in that case I would feel like the price should be a bit higher than if it was just shards, since you'd get a free one every year regardless (but certainly not 10k, I would think something like 2k to 4k would be plenty). 

(I will admit that a part of my support for the shards idea is just me desperately wanting other uses for shards, other things I might actually want to buy...)

Automatically showing scroll number would work for me. But I want to be able to see who I am dealing with, whoever they were when they stiffed me.

8 hours ago, Paintra said:

so long as the user ID system was implemented before the actual username change system

Everyone already HAS a numeric user ID. It's part of your account validation link. It's just not displayed anywhere.

Why must it be with shards? There are people who want to change their usernames but haven’t played in a long time. And they feel so ashamed when they see that username they made up when they were like 13 years old when they first started playing DC. Shards were just a recent feature (within the last few years), so just for a name change, you have to work for it? Not to mention you can only get 100 shards a week, and if a name change costs 2000 (assuming you just came back to DC for the first time after the shard update) That’ll take you 20 weeks. 20 weeks to put up with the username you hate? No thanks.

Why can’t it just be for free (like other petsites, and also previously suggested in other threads) and with a cooldown? 

10 minutes ago, Ruby Eyes said:

Everyone already HAS a numeric user ID. It's part of your account validation link. It's just not displayed anywhere.

Yes. But it isn't that easy to find on another user. I can do it, as far as that goes, but it's a convoluted process. If we are to have name changes, the number needs to be easily viewable.

@Fuzzbucket

I'm just saying a user ID does not need to be implemented because it already exists.

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

We need to see name history to avoid scamming - people who have been "found out" and change their scroll names to try again. Just as we can track them on forum.

NO! *screams in helpless frustration*  I explained multiple times that NOBODY need sto see my old scroll name EVER and don't have the time to repeat myself all over again, please, don't insist on refusing to unserstand how much of an unreasonable demand it is and also how much pointless username change would be with this (to all cases other than Marionetta's type) and what the actual sollution to those wishes and fears is (reminder: scroll ID number based blocking system, we already have scroll numbers to code this with so we're halfway there).

I can as well demand for all Sinomorphs to get completely removed from the database just because I want them gone for my own reasons too (they visibly ruin the basics of my scroll's pattern for complete lack of hatchlings, the spoil is painfully obvious whenever I scroll past them) and my unreasonable demand would still be more reasonable and less harmful(I mean "Sinomorphs have to vanish-and spoil people's lineages-", not get retired) than anyone's access to my username history (well, while the actual, reasonable sollution to my problem would be simply letting Sinos have a hatchling stage from breeding true, just like ID-based blocking stystem would be a sollution to the problem you have that makes you demand my username history access that you don't need. And the best sollution to yours is more likely to happen while my Sino problem will likely stay there forever...). Perhaps just be more open for other, better sollutions? Sollutions that solve your probem AND respect the needs of people who need to change their scroll name (not counting the abusers whose ID's you'd have the option to block), just try to be mindful to other people's problems, not just your wishes here... and perhaps you'll see that history access is a bad idea that won't even solve anything

ShorahNagi: "4. Displaying an old scroll name should be OPTIONAL. Some might have changed due to abuse and dont want their old name known (though their scroll number would still be the same). 
[...]"

THIS, listen to someone with experience on the topic

1st change should be free, I think, but I won't mind paying for it just to have it finally happen

extras can be a paid feature (if with shards, I guess we won't even need a cooldown if the price is e.g. close to 1-year worth of shards, the price would do the cooldown's job) but I'm honestly indifferent here

all I need is the username change to be TRUE (no history access to random people out there, at least if I choose so, only site mods), I want to finally be proud of my scroll instead of hiding it because I don't want to be associated with the idea my old username bears (and it's been 6 years of my suffering so far!), just let it finally be gone, please😢

Edited by VixenDra

5 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

Sollutions that solve your probem AND respect the needs of people who need to change their scroll name (not counting the abusers whose ID's you'd have the option to block), just try to be mindful to other people's problems, not just your wishes here... and perhaps you'll see that history access is a bad idea that won't even solve anything

Then would you expect everyone to write down your ID? Then why won’t the whole username system be scrapped? 

8 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

ShorahNagi: "4. Displaying an old scroll name should be OPTIONAL. Some might have changed due to abuse and dont want their old name known (though their scroll number would still be the same). 

10 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Yes. Changing your user so that people don’t want them to be known as something before or just simply don’t want to be associated for that old username is basically the main reason for changing your user. I don’t see why people would be against that. If a block system would ever be enforced, there should be a part where you can say “blocked because xxx reason” so even if they changed their name you’d still know that they have done something bad before to you. If scammers could just go ahead and try again, then most likely someone would’ve reported it to a moderator, and mods can see what usernames they’ve been using before and see what has happened. 

30 minutes ago, icearashi said:

Then would you expect everyone to write down your ID? Then why won’t the whole username system be scrapped?

You misunderstood(why am I always misunderstood?) - This is not how blocking works. You block an account (so the ID) even if all you see is the current username. Blocking's frontend can be a "click the block button" thing or "type in the current username and the site's coding will automatically block the ID behind it" - worked on the original Deviantart despite people changing usernames(and you can't browse one's past usernames either), and it's TJ's part to code it right (it CAN be coded right).

Edited by VixenDra

16 minutes ago, VixenDra said:

You misunderstood(why am I always misunderstood?) - This is not how blocking works. You block an account (so the ID) even if all you see is the current username. Blocking's frontend can be a "click the block button" thing or "type in the current username and the site's coding will automatically block the ID behind it" - worked on the original Deviantart despite people changing usernames(and you can't browse one's past usernames either), and it's TJ's part to code it right (it CAN be coded right).

Edited 14 minutes ago by VixenDra

I’m not a person who codes so I must’ve misunderstood. Thanks for clarifying!

I really don't understand why people need to see name history. The only argument I'm seeing is "what if they scammed me before?". First, trading is at your own risk. Second, only use two-way trades and check what you're accepting. And third, if we're going with it costing shards, it's not like anyone is going to be rapidly changing their name. It would be a slow process. And you have just as much risk of being "scammed" by a name you don't  recognize that happens to be a new player. Don't  IOU, and scamming becomes a lot harder. Anyone have a real reason?

I don't see what's so wrong about wanting to make sure you don't trade with someone you have had a bad experience with before. Or with the totally simple solution of making scroll IDs visible - at which point names no longer matter.

One example of why it matters, from several years ago and which did not involve me, was a mother and daughter who came to the forum to LIE about what they claimed was another player having cheated one of them. That of course was in an on forum trade, not the hub - but even so. Another would be a player who took against another and so killed a dragon deliberately to ruin another player's lineage. If that had happened to me, I would want to make very sure I never traded with that individual again - two way link or not.  Sure trading is at your own risk - so what's wrong with minimising the effort you need to make to mitigate that risk.

Yes, but killing dragons can be done even if you do block them and as for badmouthing others, I really dont see how blocking stops that either. That sounds like something to resolve with a mods help. Knowing the name still makes no difference.

Knowing the name means I would never risk trading with someone who might kill something to wreck my lineage - based on their having done so before. They trade me the perfect derg for my lineage - accept - say - my 2 gen tinsel - and then murder my lineage after I have got it a bit further along. It has happened before to a mate here; if it ever happened to me,  I want to be sure I don't trade with that person again. That DOES make a difference.