Duskwing472

Shards for Username change

Thinking on it now and how it's been almost a full year since i made this thread i agree 10k is too much. 

1 minute ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Knowing the name means I would never risk trading with someone who might kill something to wreck my lineage - based on their having done so before. They trade me the perfect derg for my lineage - accept - say - my 2 gen tinsel - and then murder my lineage after I have got it a bit further along. It has happened before to a mate here; if it ever happened to me,  I want to be sure I don't trade with that person again. That DOES make a difference.

i also completely agree with this because I've had that problem before and now i have to figure out what to do with a bunch of 2g soulstones who's non soulstone parents are dead

Once a year or a rising cost would be fine with me because my Scroll Name (Stoowoo3) was when I was younger and me and my friend made the word Stoowoo (which was a way to tell each other we were stupid) and would much more prefer my Gamertag ComatosedRoses for my scroll name now. I only want 1 name change 😅

I don't support this only because I think a limited, free username change is fine. If a complete newbie accidentally typo'd their name I'm cool with letting them change it immediately, not limiting them by making them have to pay with funds they're already fundamentally behind on.

I honestly don't understand why there is so much opposition to old names (or user IDs) being shown. I get the whole 'hate this username and don't want people to associate it with me anymore' type of thing, but personally I think it would be better to do this feature in such a way that it can't be abused. Regardless of why you want to change your username, it is a very real *fact* that some players don't want to interact with others because of things those others have done in the past. That is a very relevant thing to consider when it comes to username changes in general, free/shards/whatever. I would think an in-game feature would/should be implemented in a way that helps user's experiences in the *game*, and not knowing who a new username actually *is* would do the opposite. I just want honesty, basically. I want to know who a user is, especially if they offer on my trades or something. I don't feel like a feature of 'I'm not liked by users so I'll change my name and no one will know it's me!' would be helpful to users or the game as a whole. 

Just my opinion though. *shrug*

6 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

Knowing the name means I would never risk trading with someone who might kill something to wreck my lineage - based on their having done so before. They trade me the perfect derg for my lineage - accept - say - my 2 gen tinsel - and then murder my lineage after I have got it a bit further along. It has happened before to a mate here; if it ever happened to me,  I want to be sure I don't trade with that person again. That DOES make a difference.

Then shouldn't you support the blocking suggestion instead? will work MUCH more effectively than your current manual checking of every single trade, blocking will just filter things for you, and the site would automatically recognize the scroll ID if the feature is coded properly, you'll just need to block and use your saved-up time on something better

Other thing is that neither blocking nor username history will stop this from happening. I also had this happen to me before, it was a 2g hybrid, I expanded the progeny considerably and at some point noticed the breeder suddenly killed one of the CBs (and I could no longer check who it was by that time - or didn't know how to) and I had to replace the pair (so nowadays I only get my hybrids bred by my fiance an noone else), you just can NEVER be sure a stranger won't randomly ruin the lineage, that's how this game is. Also, you can end up with their eggs even if you don't trade with them directly, because your direct trader could have traded or caught that offender's egg for the trade with you, you know? and your blacklist doesn't help you in such a case

I will admit to not having read the whole thread, but I have one concern; what if someone changes their username, and someone else comes along and makes a new scroll (or changes their username) to that old name? It would be confusing at best, actively detrimental at the worst for the innocent party who may not know the connotations behind the name—I'm picturing a known scammer changing their common username to something else, and someone else picking up that name later without realizing that it's associated with a scammer and could ruin their reputation if people still associate the scammer with that name, or have links using that username in callout posts or personal blacklists. I'd rather not have the dA system of "once the username's been used it's forever unusable," but...it's a consideration and I don't know the best way to solve it.

1 hour ago, Seay said:

I'd rather not have the dA system of "once the username's been used it's forever unusable," but...it's a consideration and I don't know the best way to solve it.

The only other solution I see to not making an old name entirely unusable (ex. ShorahNagi becomes forever lost if I drop to just Nagi) to prevent impersonation is that a changed/retired username has a waiting period before it can be used again

Ex. I change my scroll name to just Nagi - ShorahNagi becomes unusable for say...two years minimum before someone else can take up that mantle if they want.

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

I just have to point out that refusing to trade with someone won't always stop this from happening. If someone else grabbed their egg from the ap(or traded for it), and you traded for that (or just a 3g+), the person you're avoiding could still kill the CBs. You'd have to check all the CBs and the person would need to have their name on their dragons to be 100% sure. Its part of the risk using any eggs from other people. We all just operate under good faith that people aren't going to kill dragons unless warned in a name.

I desperately want to change my scroll name. I think adding blocking and then free, but time locked, name changes, would solve the issues everyone has. As well as protecting those that are being harassed/viewbombed and want to change to get away from that. If they could easily find their new name from the old it wouldn't be very effective as a way to stop it, so I feel the block menu shouldn't update the name, because they could block the victim as a way to stalk their names.

I do wish shards could be used for more but, given how slow it takes to build them up I really don't think its needed to pay shards, especially when there's people that might return to a terrible name from their teen years, and have no shards. Like, maybe 100, 200, something you could get fast enough that you're not spending months with a terrible name. And still time locked. Half a year sounds about right to me.

15 minutes ago, ShorahNagi said:

The only other solution I see to not making an old name entirely unusable (ex. ShorahNagi becomes forever lost if I drop to just Nagi) to prevent impersonation is that a changed/retired username has a waiting period before it can be used again

Ex. I change my scroll name to just Nagi - ShorahNagi becomes unusable for say...two years minimum before someone else can take up that mantle if they want.

Yeah I was thinking similarly. I'm worried about A. People taking up old names that had bad context for xyz reason and not knowing, and B. a need to prevent people from using some old names, like marrionetta-> Marrionetta. Someone could easily scam by taking up a spriters old name. A two year delay would help with the first but not the second, but boxing up all old names when theres probably tons that are just fine seems wasteful. I don't know there's an easy solution to that so I'd err on the side of no old names. Unless its the original person changing back. (Marrionetta decides to go back to marrionetta for whatever reason) 

Edited by Tinibree

11 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The problem here is assuming it's done maliciously. People kill their own dragons for all sorts of reasons and likely never really consider dragons on other peoples scrolls. They aren't attacking you. Most likely they are clearing their scroll of things they don't want. Yes, they could release them, but some prefer to erase the dragon. (Also zombies if you're trying for special tombstones.)

Heck, once I bred something, if I don't keep it, as far as I'm concerned, it no longer exists. I never release dragons, but I'm suddenly aware that I've never bothered to check for progeny from potential zombie fodder either. They are my dragons, I can kill them if I want. The very idea of it messing up other people's plans has literally never occurred to me.

Edit: my original point was, people trying to get away from people who harrassed or abused them in the past while still being able to enjoy the game should  trump what boils down to an annoyance. The reasons for not being forced to show old names are higher than those that insist.

Edited by DragonLady86

1 hour ago, DragonLady86 said:

The problem here is assuming it's done maliciously. People kill their own dragons for all sorts of reasons and likely never really consider dragons on other peoples scrolls. They aren't attacking you. Most likely they are clearing their scroll of things they don't want. Yes, they could release them, but some prefer to erase the dragon. (Also zombies if you're trying for special tombstones.)

Heck, once I bred something, if I don't keep it, as far as I'm concerned, it no longer exists. I never release dragons, but I'm suddenly aware that I've never bothered to check for progeny from potential zombie fodder either. They are my dragons, I can kill them if I want. The very idea of it messing up other people's plans has literally never occurred to me.

Edit: my original point was, people trying to get away from people who harrassed or abused them in the past while still being able to enjoy the game should  trump what boils down to an annoyance. The reasons for not being forced to show old names are higher than those that insist.

Total agreement with the first bits, when I pick zombie fodder I'm not even thinking about if I've ever bred it, just that I don't care for it, or that I'm real desperately hunting for something to kill.

1 hour ago, Tinibree said:

Total agreement with the first bits, when I pick zombie fodder I'm not even thinking about if I've ever bred it, just that I don't care for it, or that I'm real desperately hunting for something to kill.

Seconded. I don't think twice about anything except lineage.

4 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

But... This exact argument can be used for *showing* old names. People have bad experiences with people, and would want to know if a new name was actually that person. I guess this is just something that depends on why you (general 'you') are actually wanting this feature. If you *want* to change your name to 'get away' from someone, I get why your old name showing wouldn't be wanted. But the other side needs to be looked at as well, the people who don't change names but want to 'get away' from a user who *has* changed names. I definitely don't agree that's just an 'annoyance', it's really the exact same idea/reason/concern just with the other person changing their name instead of you.

6 hours ago, ShorahNagi said:

Unusable for others. You yourself could be allowed to go back to your old name during that time if you find that suddenly nobody recognizes you anymore XD

7 hours ago, Tinibree said:

I just have to point out that refusing to trade with someone won't always stop this from happening. If someone else grabbed their egg from the ap(or traded for it), and you traded for that (or just a 3g+), the person you're avoiding could still kill the CBs. You'd have to check all the CBs and the person would need to have their name on their dragons to be 100% sure. Its part of the risk using any eggs from other people. We all just operate under good faith that people aren't going to kill dragons unless warned in a name.

No indeed - but in my case - if I get the perfect egg from the AP I would (and do) check the scroll names on the dragons if I don't know whose they are (quite often I recognise naming patterns) and I don't use ones from individuals I know are likely to kill dergs. Not perfect, but it mostly works.

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

In the case I cited it certainly was malicious.

5 hours ago, DragonLady86 said:

In your view. But see below.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

But... This exact argument can be used for *showing* old names. People have bad experiences with people, and would want to know if a new name was actually that person. I guess this is just something that depends on why you (general 'you') are actually wanting this feature. If you *want* to change your name to 'get away' from someone, I get why your old name showing wouldn't be wanted. But the other side needs to be looked at as well, the people who don't change names but want to 'get away' from a user who *has* changed names. I definitely don't agree that's just an 'annoyance', it's really the exact same idea/reason/concern just with the other person changing their name instead of you.

EXACTLY.

1 hour ago, HeatherMarie said:

For that a blocking feature is the closest-to-effective sollution. Block by username of the time of blocking that doesn't update, while the blocking feature actually blocking the ID in the background

Just let the victims run away from abuse, e.g. viewbombing (which requires the offender to simply know the victim's scroll name)

Also, the most persistent offenders will just multi-scroll (they are top level rebells, rules won't stop them), a new extra scroll won't cost them anything but if the victim did the same thing, their new scroll means loosing all of their former dragons(you think why didn't I just "clear my scroll and make a new one" to get rid of my despicable scroll name? I did have the thoughts but the awareness of having spent 7 long years on not even finishing it - despite the minimalistic goal - is successfully repulsive)

PS. too few scrolls have naming patterns (and if I was carelessly killing randoms for zombie fodders, I wouldn't bother to name such things or would deliberately break the naming pattern not to impulse-kill something >I< value. but "what-ifs" aside, my only lineaged breeding project won't indeed have anything in common with my regular naming and breeding pattern aside to EG contruction, they won't look anything alike). and if someone is maliciously killing progenied dragons that they traded, they are likely not displaying thier scroll name on their dragon page already, and if they are smart enough, they also break the naming pattern if they even have one otherwise, not bother to name at all, or name whatever if the trader requires named parents. You won't fish things out like this. Trading offspring whose ancestor set you don't own is always a risk, unless you limit yourself to just close friends.You can't even trust a trustworthy scroll's naming pattern if the scrollname is not displayed - it's not hard for a random user to just use that surname too. Your insistance on a useless feature (that could be replaced with a better feature doing what you want +what other normal players need without harming them) is not understandable to me.

I think this has been discussed in length back in 2018, there’s another thread out there that is already name changing, this is only different because it involves shards. I just want it to be free with a cooldown, that’s all.

True - I really don't think shards need to be involved, whatever the outcome here..

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Pleeeease.

I would love to be able to change my username. I made mine years ago, and it was a placeholder name for my identity of a character I made.
Now I know her name, I'd like to have my scroll be under that name now. But I can't, and I'm kinda stuck with my eternal placeholder.

Deviant art had a feature to where you changed your username, and anyone typing in the old username would automatically be forwarded to your new username.

If that isn't too much of a hassle, would that be a good workaround?

I don't understand why it would need to cost shards, which seems excessive. Changing your scroll name for free in settings with a cooldown sounds perfect: I very much so want to change my scroll name!

Please let this be a thing already, i was way too young when i made my username and i don't connect with it anymore, now its just meh to look at. I don't mind if its paid or not but i do agree on a cooldown. The first change could even be free and have it be every 6 months ~ 1 year (like other pet site i'm at has the first change be free and the rest from there paid) and i think it works fine. Just not have it be 10k shards but something like 1~2k is doable.

So... we know that scrolls already have IDs associated with them. I see no reason why switching to an ID-based system for identifying members with a free username change system would cause problems with identifying members people no longer want to deal with, as long as the ID system was implemented before the option to change names. That way, showing old usernames is less significant of an issue. I think I said the exact same thing earlier in the thread XD

I would very much like to be able to change my scroll name. It's frustrating to have this very topic be discussed every few months, it seems, with no result or acknowledgement whatsoever (as far as I know). If there's no plans to ever allow users to change scroll names, I think we'd all appreciate some official word stating so.

On 7/18/2019 at 10:47 PM, Sacred_DuskRose472 said:

Ooh, i forgot to mention. that's actually the exact price we talked about! 10k shards. As well as a once a year thing. 

10k shards is a ridiculous amount. and for a name change??? if you only are able to get 100 shards a week, it would take over two years to get enough. i say it's just free, but you have a cooldown period. like flight rising, you have to wait six months between each flight change, and only get to change it three times before it's permanent. something like that is much better.

On 7/26/2020 at 7:35 PM, Rypnami said:

10k shards is a ridiculous amount. and for a name change??? if you only are able to get 100 shards a week, it would take over two years to get enough. i say it's just free, but you have a cooldown period. like flight rising, you have to wait six months between each flight change, and only get to change it three times before it's permanent. something like that is much better.

First of all, you're replying to a much older message >.>
second of all i no longer agree with the 10k

On 7/26/2020 at 6:35 PM, Rypnami said:

like flight rising, you have to wait six months between each flight change, and only get to change it three times before it's permanent.

That's... that's not accurate though. You got the six month cooldown right, but it's free once, costs the equivalent of $15 every time after that, and has no limit.

As far as the actual suggestion goes, I... thought I posted here already??? I guess not. Regardless, if you can figure out the logistics of it, I support being able to change your name, but maybe not for Shards-- free with a cooldown is fine. The issue comes in the avoidance of people you don't want to trade with vs the right people have to make their old names private and/or avoid harassment. imo, a name change feature would have to go hand in hand with something like a block feature, but that has its own thread.

Personally I feel like changing scroll names should work in exactly the same way as it does on the forum. There's no reason for that system to be changed. The viewable history can avoid confusion as well as protect from scams. Personally I think it makes a bit more sense for there to just be a long cooldown period rather than having to pay, since it is again closer to the forums, and also hat way we can't just get people spamming username changes – that would be annoying as well as potentially exploitable if people are so inclined.

Edited by RealWilliamShakespeare