Draconiusultamius

Draconius' Eternal Bingo!

I cool with Tabs starting a new bingo. Didn't Draco say they only had 5 rounds prepared anyways? So do current points / needed points = percentage of needed points acquired, highest percentage wins?

So what was the solution to the sudoku? I got the puzzle but not the letters.

I had the letters NIUBOELD and gave up there.

15 minutes ago, Dirtytabs said:

I had the letters NIUBOELD and gave up there.

You have the right letters, and if you missed it a few pages back, it is not an official encyclopedia name.

Are we at the point of sharing answers? Because I would love answers to the DNA puzzle...

Good lord  - I just got it ! Tabs - you can DO this !

And SOMEONE tell us about the DNA stuff - not that I will even understand the answer. Put it in a spoiler for those as don't want to know....

Well, it's a mix of knowing how RNA and DNA work (complementary, which nucleobase matches which other?) and interpreting the poem in a visual way. That's why the website Draco posted (and the sub page which I mentioned earlier) are really useful. Afterwards, you can google for something that turns your result into letters.

Now I don't know if my explanation was actually helpful XD

Edited by Ruby Eyes

3 minutes ago, GhostMouse said:

it is not an official encyclopedia name

That makes things harder. How many are there?

holly

yulebuck

snow angel

ribbon dancer

winter magi

wrapping-wing

solstice

mistletoe

aegis

snow

garland

starsinger

shimmer-scale

tinsel

As for the DNA thing, the poem alludes to transcription, translation, and "code".

You first turn those codons below the poem into amino acids. Look for a start codon (fairytale "beginning") and discard everything before it, then stop at the stop codon and discard everything after it.

Pair the codons and convert to "the code for all life" (DNA) while you're at it: AUG CAU UGG CCA AAA UAU... pairs with TAC GTA ACC GGT TTT ATA...

Figure out which of those nucleotides have single and which have double bonds. Single: 1, double: 2. Replace them, and you get a bunch of numbers: 121 212 211 221 111 212...

"Alone, it is nothing" means "1 is 0", turn the 1s into 0s. "Two become one" means "2 becomes 1", turn the 2s into 1s. You get a string of 0s and 1s.

Remove the spaces between them: 010101100110000101101000011001010110111001110100011010010110111001100101. Convert them from binary.

Wow, I'm not sure I would ever have gotten that!

As for the Sudoku,

Spoiler

Two words, not a dragon

BUILD ONE

UNDO BILE

OILED BUN

DOUBLE IN

NUDE BOIL

BLUE... oh.

Exactly. Hits you in the face, when you see it !!!!

Oh and OK - now I have the binary one - thanks. But with exactly -1,000 knowledge of DNA etc, I would never have had a prayer in ANY existence.

5 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

BUILD ONE

UNDO BILE

OILED BUN

DOUBLE IN

NUDE BOIL

BLUE... oh.

I loathe anagrams.

Blue noid.. ? Oh. Duh.

6 hours ago, Dirtytabs said:

As for the DNA thing, the poem alludes to transcription, translation, and "code".

You first turn those codons below the poem into amino acids. Look for a start codon (fairytale "beginning") and discard everything before it, then stop at the stop codon and discard everything after it.

Pair the codons and convert to "the code for all life" (DNA) while you're at it: AUG CAU UGG CCA AAA UAU... pairs with TAC GTA ACC GGT TTT ATA...

Figure out which of those nucleotides have single and which have double bonds. Single: 1, double: 2. Replace them, and you get a bunch of numbers: 121 212 211 221 111 212...

"Alone, it is nothing" means "1 is 0", turn the 1s into 0s. "Two become one" means "2 becomes 1", turn the 2s into 1s. You get a string of 0s and 1s.

Remove the spaces between them: 010101100110000101101000011001010110111001110100011010010110111001100101. Convert them from binary.

Sorry, but that is just too far over my head. I don't even understand it with the explanation!

I liked the sudoku, I have to say. It turned out to be much easier once I understood which rules were in effect (as in, which groups of 9 belonged together).

I used to solve riddles like the DNA one some years ago, but my brain doesn't work the way it used to. I'm getting old!

I was OK with the sudoku AS SUDOKU. It was getting letters out of it that was too tedious. But this has all been too slow.

I really liked the Sudoku. Everything except for the backwards 15 (and the unfortunately missing number), which made unscrambling it more difficult than it should have been.

Fuzz, I "cheated" the tedious part and threw the numbers I had gotten into a Number-Letter Cipher decoder, which will give you lots of possible options for the numbers. Because of the missing and backwards numbers I started changing where my alphabet started to see if I could find a grouping of letters that made any sense, which did get tedious. But because it was intended to be a simple A=1 code I was making things too hard for myself. :)

@Draconiusultamius What if you started a thread for your harder puzzles (after exams, those come first, of course!) as a separate game? I'd probably be lost on another big poem but I would try something like the Sudoku again!

I showed my husband the solution to the DNA puzzle since we had worked on it together and he was impressed.

That sounds like a good idea - a thread for Tough Puzzles. It could go as slowly as it liked, and those who can't do them wouldn't have to wait weeks and weeks for the base game to continue. And it was weeks and weeks - NO other bingo game has run for 3 months with no-one even close to a winning score, and wait so long between rounds because you were busy and were anyway waiting for people to do puzzles that most of us couldn't solve no matter how hard we tried.

I agree that it could be fun to try some of your more difficult puzzles in a separate thread. They just don't seem to work well in a bingo game.

A cipher thread with harder puzzles does sound fun, but it will definitely have to wait until after exams and after I build up a stock of ciphers and stuff to get myself started.  I also want to get more experience with solving actual more complex puzzles since I feel like I'm still not adequate at it.  I find things like Cicaida 3301, the GCHQ Christmas puzzles, and other sorts of things fascinating and I want to be able to understand those, at least a little bit.