GuesssWho

How do you come up with dragon names?

I have color-based clans, with first names based off of either the dragon concept or the egg link.

1 minute ago, Miaplacidus said:

I usually look at the dragon's code.

Yeah, that's what I mean by the egg link :)

I base my names off of the dragon's code, and then also give them my scroll's surname, Rainfur. 

https://dragcave.net/lineage/tlbi

An example ^^ Sometimes I add to it so that it is more name-like. For codes with numbers, I try include them in a way, at least partly. 2 = tu, 7 = se, 1 = on. 

Let me see here, I sometimes attempt to make a name out of the code, use video character names/refs to games, something that fits the breed, names from a name website, and song lyrics!

I pretty much do EVERYTHING, just depends on my mood. :lol:

(probably one of these day i am going to start doing poems maybe)

Edit:

https://dragcave.net/group/24501

https://dragcave.net/group/71833

https://dragcave.net/group/24504

and also try to get a name that fits the parents of other people dragons if I got their kid.

Edited by Lady Dragoon

Mine are just super random. Inspiration from the parents, from the code, TV shows, something I've read, a song, anything really ❤️

And I try and make the names of pairs complement each other, so naming is time consuming.

Randomly.

Also, http://20000-names.com/ (proceed with caution - you can browse the site without allowing scripts, keep your adblocker on)

It's useful if you're looking for names with certain starting letters, meaning or even topics (see the special name categories).

Sometimes I use surnames for breeds, like https://dragcave.net/view/n/Madonna Pink Pop or https://dragcave.net/view/n/Ashley Kay

If you can remember which surname you picked for which breed, it massively helps searching on the /breed/ page.

Sometimes, I just try to find words that google doesn't know yet though they look like they *could* mean something. My CB Lurkers are bearing those names XD like https://dragcave.net/lineage/n/Bitterbastblume

(works best with German, due to compound words)

Some, I leave unnamed due to their code: https://dragcave.net/lineage/Joxin

All my dragons whose code starts with "Loco" are completed LOvely COmmons.

And if none of those work, there are always fantasy name generators to be found via google.

My tactic is Surname and then name. So for Surname, I always use dragon breed name and for the name, I am using the first letter of the code, if it is number then the first letter of that number, and just make up the name haha Hope it helps haha

It really depends...If I can see something in the code, I'll name it based on the code (ex. got a dragon with the code tonbl *spelling messed* - read it as 'to nibble', named the dragon I Love To Nibble)

Sometimes, I'll name it based on the breed/the dragon's look (ex. all my original Zyumorph dragons are named after the original power rangers (so Jason the Red Zyumorph, etc) and I just kept that going so it's *name* the *color* Zyumorph)

Rarely, I have an actual name in mind (only dragon whose name I ever had picked out was the Bronze Tinsel I won in 2014...and the only thing that determined her name was her color)

I use a mishmash of systems to name my dragons. It really just depends on the case.

The easiest way is to name it after its code and just find a unique way (egg link). I'll usually just stick my scroll surname, Eremorea, after it. (example)

Other times I base it off the parents and the lineage to get last names. I also use a fair amount of pop culture, so for my CB Zyumorphs, I did something similar to what ShorahNagi did above me. I translated their color + "ranger" into Saurian for the first CB I got of that color. I breed them PB, so for its mate I just named them color + "mate" in Saurian.

Sometimes I base it off the dragons's colors or breed descriptions. This is pretty fun because usually one just raises the dragon and never reads through their description. That's how it is in my case, at least.

Depends on the breed, code, etc. I have a small group of dragons I've named from their code, usually only if the code strikes me as funny or spells something. I have multiple breeds that have 'surnames' at the front of their name... All my Stripes are 'Delicate (blank)', my Soulpeaces are 'FeatherDusted (blank)'... All my frozen Canopy hatchlings have 'of Falleen' at the end of their names. 

I'll also name dragons after important people/pets in my life (like my grandpa and late dog), or after favorite characters, singers, actors, etc. I have an entire group of Hellfires named after characters in a book a close friend wrote. 

Most of my dragons, however, are named fairly randomly. I actually get a lot of interesting names from vendor codes at work, the way the vendors are labeled often gives me fun/interesting name ideas (Osinloy, Sellasernai, Julteli, etc etc). I love name generators too, they are fun to play around with. This one is my favorite!

- I look at the parents' name

- I use quotes from songs/tv shows/films etc.

- I look at the code

- I like to make up breeding pairs by giving them names that fit together

In short: I don't 🙈

Longer version: I'm super uncreative so I tend to use the dragons' code itself plus my clan name "Darkmoon" (which is a certain covenant from the same video game series my scroll / forum name stands for - it's also in a way related to the only differently named dragon on my scroll: my CB prize. He is named after the leader of said covenant). It will probably stay that way until I have a brilliant idea for a better naming system... and I dread the day I want to rename them all :unsure:

If the dragon is lineaged, I look at the names of its parents and/or its code to get ideas. If it's a CB dragon, I either look at the code or just... name it after the first thing that pops up in my head. Because of that some of my dragons have pretty... weird names, as they reflect my thoughts and feelings from the time I typed in that name. Also I've started to use generation tags because I keep forgetting which dragons are lineaged and which ones are not. :dry:

Projects like Z-codes and Almost Cool Codes can help a lot with coming up with names!

I also do lyrical lineages, which means a lot of my dragons are part of songs.

Other than that I just go with whatever comes to mind... which also tend to be lyrics so 🤷‍♀️

Honestly, my dragons' names are all over the place.

-A combination of parents' names/parents' surname if lineaged (ex. Joking Mood)

-Something I made up (ex. Sugarking)

-Inspiration from a movie, play, or song (ex. Dead Man's ToeSugarplum Dance, Astro del Ciel)

-A twist on the breed's name (ex. Miss Toe)

-An object that fits the breed, like chocolate and Valentine's Day (ex. Ghirardelli Truffles)

-A word (ex. Burrowing, Eclipsing)

-No name if the code is great (ex. dnGeR7mein)

-Latin for "special" dragons (ex. Ave AureaGloriosa Stellarum)

I don't think I have any lyrical or numeric/"breeder tag" names. 

Edited by The Dragoness

It depends! Sometimes I take inspiration from a neat code, sometimes from the parents' names and sometimes I just come up with something myself. I also have a tendency to look for cool words to use as names on Google translate, haha.

A little bit of random, a lot of inspiration from an RPG called Might and Magic, and sometimes letters and sometimes from descriptions. I have 94 Lunar Heralds. Golds start with an L word then Lunar. Silver, O words. Blue N words. Bronze M words. Some I just type a bunch or random letters. If it is a CB egg, I will name it.

My CB dragon names are designed for their breed with a host of suffixes (-aia, -eia, -ia, -aea, -iea etc for girls, -aion, -eion, -eon, -ion, -iaon etc for boys). I use either the direct breed name or a translation into anything that makes sense to me or an abbreviation of where they come from and what they are, so I see from the name what dragon it is. 

- Trufflaia

- Verdaia (from Italian "verde" = "green")

- Kikyuuaion (kikyuu being Japanese for "balloon")

- Aureaia (aurum being Latin for "gold")

- Auroraia (after the Goddess of Sunrise)

- Alcireion (Alpine Cirion Blue for Blue Lunar Heralds)

- Alcirsaia (Alpine Cirion Silver for Silver Lunar Heralds)

- Deaxyaion (Desert Aurax Yellow for Gold Lunar Heralds)

- Voaxtaion (Volcano Aurax Tan for Tan Lunar Heralds)

- Fozyumaion (Forest Zyumorph)

- Samuinaion (Black Marrow - from the holiday Samhain/Halloween)

- Voxenaion (Volcano Xenomorph for Pyros)

- Alxenaia (Alpine Xenomorph for Astrapis)

The new Xenos got an additional "d" in the name, thus

- Dexendaia (new Desert Xenomorph +d for Pharos), but Dexenaia (Desert Xenomorph for Mageia)

Astraels are named for their egg description and contain "petal" in the name.

- Tan Astraels are Alpetal* and Copetal* (Alpine+Coast)

- Lime Astraels are Depetal* and Vopetal* (Desert and Volcano)

- Brown Astraels are Fopetal* and Jupetal* (Forest and Jungle)

The bred versions simply use their colours as prefix: Pinkpetal*, Tealpetal*, Verdpetal* (Green), Bluepetal*, Blackpetal* and Albipetal* (White).

Second gens are combined of the breeds with one apostrophe in between, like

Verdc'alcirsaia = Verdcupr* + Alcirs* (2nd gen Green Copper + Silver Lunar Herald)

Aeon'wyvaion = 2nd gen PB Aeon Wyvern

Cav'redcupraia = 2nd Gen Cavern Lurker + Red Copper

Third gens are combined of the breeds without any apostrophe (or with the addition of one extra letter in the case of PBs )

Aeonwyvvaion (3rd gen PB AeonWyvern)

Samaeonaion (3rd gen Marrow x Aeon Checker)

4th gen have two apostrophes and 5th gens have a hyphen. For higher gens I have to be a bit creative, but with my name scheme I can always see what gens I breed and which checkers etc.

Some Alts are a bit of an outlier, as there the 2G is usually the base, so a 2G Alt Black is Nuitaia/Nuitaion and the 3G is the name with the apostrophe, like Nuit'aia. The 4G has two apostrophes again and thus all is normal from then on. Hybrids like Shallows etc follow the same pattern (although I might someday re-organise them).

The only exception are Prize dragons as they are named according to the naming schemes of two planets from SciFi stories of mine. Recently they got a "surname" that gives their generation (Tyra / Teres = 3), (Vayla / Vaol = 4), (Synca = 5), and "of" or "sha / vy" means EG checker, "ter" a Stairstep lineage, "ten" a Spiral, and "von" whatever else there might be.

So Danyas ter Tyra is a 3G Stairstep Tinsel and Martyn of Synca a 5G EG Tinsel checker, while A'lariah sha Vaol would be a 4G EG female Shimmer checker and A'rhaneo vy Teres a 3G EG male Shimmer checker.

Oh, and once in a while I decide to carry on a lineage name of somebody else when I was gifted a particular dragon.

Gosh, this was almost a dissertation, it seems, but I hope it makes a little sense - and now you know where the dragons with those weird names come from. XD

Edited by Astreya

@Astreya Actually, until we did some trading for this year's Valentine, I was convinced that this Purple: https://dragcave.net/lineage/n/Lyleya Love was inbred just by looking at the names - I never even bothered using an inbred checker on it XD But after you explained your naming system to me, and I happened to use her for purpling purposes once again, I noticed the parental names and looked again - a little closer this time - and then it dawned on me that she was actually just perfectly purebred and not inbred at all :lol: Thanks for dropping her to the AP 5 years ago!

@Ruby Eyes

You're very welcome! And yeah, I heard from some people they thought my dragons were inbred, tsk tsk tsk. And that whee I spend a lot of time making sure I use the corrects pairs for breeding so that this usually doesn't happen :P

For my current PB Aeon project I even set up a special line name (another extra letter) for external dragons so that I don't have to check too many dragons in the inbred checker for clean lineages as I keep externals separate and my lineages are clean by default: https://dragcave.net/group/72113

Whatever comes into my head at the time and describes the particular breed, fit into the "Warriors"'s (the cat books. lol) naming style (prefix + suffix). I was a huge fan when I first joined DC, and nine years later, it's too late to switch to a new naming scheme, and the perfectionist in me wouldn't like that. 😆

I usually think of a letter I want the name to start with, then I just start typing/trying different letters until something looks readable and namelike. If I can't think of anything, I look at the dragon's code or think of some random meme crap to put in the name box.