GuesssWho

How do you come up with dragon names?

I usually give them a first name based on their code and a surname based on their breed's traits. Only broke that rule for my CB Tinsel.

I tend to just take inspiration from the code, and if the code yields nothing just from... anything else. It was a bit easier finding names when I joined in 2011, but I can still manage with my old naming convention. I tend not to use capitals, and I think that helps.

Found out about the ACC project recently and I am actively hunting for these now!

I base it around their codes sometimes, sometimes I just get a name idea. I love throwing random syllables together and seeing what works, just how I name places and characters when I'm worldbuilding

A lot of my names are just random syllables I chain together in my head. I can go through tons of variations until I get a name I'm happy with. Other times I mix the parents' names into one, name them something silly, or give a surname to a name that's already taken.

I've been struggling with naming dragons, I'm glad I came across this thread! I've decided that unless I want a specific or poetic name, I'm just going to name my dragons what ever comes to mind followed by Ark, which will be my scroll's surname (Such as Sun-Ark for my Sonata (yes I know it's a moon dragon)). This makes the "If it has a face, it has a name" process so much easier. :3

I started naming my current Pillow lineage project names that I think are funny and then combining the parents' names to make equally silly children names.

I read a lot of manga so I use mainly Japanese names, if the code sounds nice Ill make the name based on the code, if I'm lazy I'll invent one, but right now I use a Japanese name generator cause I already used all the names from the manga I'm reading at the moment🤔

It depends on the breed for me.

When a breed has a specific "keyword" that fits their description, sometimes even the breed name, I put the English word in Google Translate and look up the meanings in other languages.

Example: My Hunter Dragons have names that simply mean "hunter" in various languages.

Cons: sometimes Google Translate efs up, so I guess I probably have some clown names on my scroll 😄

Other breeds have thematically fitting names: many of my Nebulae have Star Trek themed names, Sonata Dragons are named after moons ...
I'm especially proud of my Caligene Dragon naming theme: they're all named after common superstitions regarding bad luck, so they're named "Hearing A Mournful Cry", "A Clock That Stops", "A Dog That Howls For No Reason" ...

I often use character names from all kinds of media, sometimes song names, band names ... a lot of dragons are named after Pokemon that have the same "type" etc.
Example: my Vampires are all named after fictional vampires.

Fever Wyverns are named after types of bacteria, all my Lightstreak Dragons are named after Formula One racecourses/they cities they're in ...

My "joker" names are Star Wars planets. There's SO MANY of them. I copied all in a word doc, sorted alphabetically.
Whenever there's a breed that I don't find overwhelmingly cool so I don't want to spend too much time agonizing over names on, don't associate any "theme" with, I just go through the list and name them after a fictional planet XD

Astrael dragons are the most recent example; I had no idea what theme to pick and I saw there would be SO MANY to catch for my scroll goals so there was no way I would find a fitting "theme" for all of them.

I admit it's gotten harder over the years to come up with names sometimes ...

And for some breeds I just straight up forgot what theme I chose when they came out, years ago ... and googling them doesn't always help 😂

Old topic, but I give my dragons surnames. They're mostly based off location and questline names in Endless Ocean Blue World, my favorite game of all time, as well as random fish species that either resemble the dragon or just a random one I picked. Dottyback, for example. I just started doing this so I'm very far from renaming all my dragons to fit my new naming conventions, lol. Each species will have a unique one.

I give surnames based on whether they are caveborn or have a lineage.

I have almost exclusively caveborns so most take this surname i made that means just "red" which is my favourite colour. Crvena if female, Crven if male, Crveno if ungendered

As for dragons with lineage (usually frozen hatchlings) it is "Scarlet".

Using a foreign word in such a "rare" language is amazing because everything is available for you to use lol!

Posted (edited)

My broken sense of humour or song lyrics mostly.

I use Fairsky as a surname sometimes on some of my seriously-named dragons just depending, which is a reference to a beloved old character of mine, whose name is Kira Fairsky.

Edited by StarKaabii