KPOP

ANSWERED:like system

57 minutes ago, KPOP said:

ok so i posted this just because a like system on a forum could be ''fun'' 

god did i know this kinda simple light hearted thread would create this kinda talk, damn gurl

sorry for asking i guess? BountifulDefensiveCanvasback-max-1mb.gif

(of course you guys are entitled to your own opinion but yeah, i did not see this coming basically)

i did not read all replies really but to reply a little bit

the fact people care about getting likes on forums and else where and that they get depressed if they don't get ''enough'' or get ''disliked'' instead  and so it turns into an abusive system is not my fault

nobody's fault that some people just take things way too far and care about stupid things like getting likes

you shouldn't care about whether you get 1 like on your forum post or 0

and if you do care , you need to rethink some stuff, just saying

a freaking like system i assume was originally created to be a positive thing and the fact people turned it into a fkin war system is just sad

doesn't mean a forum would be bad having a like system

(on my own forum i only allow like feature, no dislike feature for reasons mentioned above)

getting likes on post is just a way to show you appreciate something, what the heck is wrong with that? 

so you can post to show appreciation as well... yeah ok but what's the big deal if you just want to show appreciation by clicking a like button

again, i know you are entitled to your own opinion but i think some people are taking this like system suggestion way too serious, for crying out loud, this is a forum and one filled with decent nice people as far as i can tell so far, this is not youtube or a social media platform, please

@Orchi'dea thank you for feeling me

@Fuzzbucket who would know? the person who created the post lol, a like system should auto come with a notification system attached, so people get notified when their post was liked

which could lead to a smile on someones face + on a lot of other forums posting the word ''like'' only is considered spamming and that is not allowed on most forums, presumably this forum included.

you coming up with all kinds of reasons why this shouldn't happen and some of them are actually kinda weird to me to put it nicely

''The idea of a long string of tab's avatars on a single post showing WHO liked it is truly awful - it would make the page cluttered and would impede reading.''

do you even know what a like system looks like on a ipb forum? (which is the software this forum uses) if you don't then.................

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/443720-my-new-nice-landing-page/ the support forum of the software that is used here

there you go, that's how a like system looks like on ipb, nothing like you ''imagined''

not cluttering anything AT ALL

from my impression so far you don't seem to know a lot about how a like system works on a forum let alone on a ipb forum like this one yet you already came fired up

with all sorts of reasons and theorys why its ''oh so horrible''

yet i could make a list of plenty of good things about a like button but i didn't do that when i created this thread as what's the point? it should be obvious, just saying

see again, i really don't see the problem adding an innocent like system on a forum

as long as you do not feature the dislike button, people can't get easily ''hurt'' by getting dislikes as that is supposedly a thing

FYI i honestly do not give a crap whether it gets added on here or not in the end

I JUST GOT HERE so i'm not invested in this place

this was just a freaking simple suggestion lol , one that i thought could be a nice addition but clearly people got problems with it 

so whatever, fine by me , suit yourself

gonna be fun when im gonna post another suggestion for this place, if ever lol <3

Hey...No one was blaming YOU for the fact that people misuse certain features.

That wasn't what anybody that pointed out the potential problems with it meant by it I am sure.

They ONLY meant to point out that, yes, abuse DOES happen with such systems... and yes, some people DO take it way more seriously than is healthy.

To ONLY point out that there MIGHT be reasons why such a thing wasn't added when the software for the forums allows for it?

That YES, some things cause at least as much trouble as they bring benefit?

NONE of that is necessarily YOUR fault... just... human nature in general, unfortunately.

Edited by JavaTigress

50 minutes ago, Guillotine said:

Well for one thing, when you're the sort of person ignore a thread by the literal admin on the first page to post the exact same suggestion and then get butthurt when people say that likes are a useless/actively harmful mechanic (because... they are, in a forum setting where the point is to use your words, and quite frankly they're not useful anywhere outside a chatroom either), it's really not a surprise that people react negatively to your post.

That thread was on the third page of Suggestions/Requests until I linked it here on Sunday.

Edited by 11th
Bold feels a bit excessive. Sorry.

1 hour ago, KPOP said:

god did i know this kinda simple light hearted thread would create this kinda talk, damn gurl

sorry for asking i guess? BountifulDefensiveCanvasback-max-1mb.gif

(of course you guys are entitled to your own opinion but yeah, i did not see this coming basically)

i did not read all replies really but to reply a little bit

the fact people care about getting likes on forums and else where and that they get depressed if they don't get ''enough'' or get ''disliked'' instead  and so it turns into an abusive system is not my fault

nobody's fault that some people just take things way too far and care about stupid things like getting likes

you shouldn't care about whether you get 1 like on your forum post or 0

and if you do care , you need to rethink some stuff, just saying

a freaking like system i assume was originally created to be a positive thing and the fact people turned it into a fkin war system is just sad

doesn't mean a forum would be bad having a like system

(on my own forum i only allow like feature, no dislike feature for reasons mentioned above)

getting likes on post is just a way to show you appreciate something, what the heck is wrong with that? 

so you can post to show appreciation as well... yeah ok but what's the big deal if you just want to show appreciation by clicking a like button

again, i know you are entitled to your own opinion but i think some people are taking this like system suggestion way too serious, for crying out loud, this is a forum and one filled with decent nice people as far as i can tell so far, this is not youtube or a social media platform, please

@Orchi'dea thank you for feeling me

@Fuzzbucket who would know? the person who created the post lol, a like system should auto come with a notification system attached, so people get notified when their post was liked

which could lead to a smile on someones face + on a lot of other forums posting the word ''like'' only is considered spamming and that is not allowed on most forums, presumably this forum included.

you coming up with all kinds of reasons why this shouldn't happen and some of them are actually kinda weird to me to put it nicely

''The idea of a long string of tab's avatars on a single post showing WHO liked it is truly awful - it would make the page cluttered and would impede reading.''

do you even know what a like system looks like on a ipb forum? (which is the software this forum uses) if you don't then.................

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/443720-my-new-nice-landing-page/ the support forum of the software that is used here

there you go, that's how a like system looks like on ipb, nothing like you ''imagined''

from my impression so far you don't seem to know a lot about how a like system works on a forum let alone on a ipb forum like this one yet you already came fired up

yet i could make a list of plenty of good things about a like button but i didn't do that when i created this thread as what's the point? it should be obvious, just saying

see again, i really don't see the problem adding an innocent like system on a forum

as long as you do not feature the dislike button, people can't get easily ''hurt'' by getting dislikes as that is supposedly a thing

FYI i honestly do not give a crap whether it gets added on here or not in the end

I JUST GOT HERE so i'm not invested in this place

this was just a freaking simple suggestion lol , one that i thought could be a nice addition but clearly people got problems with it 

so whatever, fine by me , suit yourself

gonna be fun when im gonna post another suggestion for this place, if ever lol <3

There is no reason to get defensive, no one is saying anything negative about you personally. We are simply pointing out why a 'like' system can be a bad thing, and despite what you seem to think it *can* be a bad thing. 

It's not 'innocent' and people *can* get hurt by it, even if there is no 'dislike', and multiple people have pointed out how. It doesn't really matter whether people 'should' or 'shouldn't' care about getting likes, and it doesn't matter that it's not your fault or the forum's fault that people may get upset by it..... The fact remains that people *do* get upset by these things, and in general a site should try to avoid implementing something that could negatively impact a good portion of users, whether or not they 'should' be impacted by it. Human nature doesn't really conform to 'should's, and people are going to react and feel the way they do regardless of whether others think it's legit or whatever. 

It's not just about 'showing appreciation', because as other people have mentioned in this thread and the 'reactions' thread, it wouldn't *be* just about 'showing appreciation' in the innocent fun way that you seem to think. It can very easily devolve into popularity contests, where people band together to 'like' every single post that a specific person makes simply because they like that person, regardless of what the posts are actually about... And other people will deliberately *not* like any post that someone makes, because they don't like that specific person for whatever reason. It's wonderful that the forum you mention hasn't had these issues, but many sites with 'like' features *do* have these issues, I've seen it, others have seen it. And we don't want that to happen here.

Keep this civil, please. I don't want to see personal attacks over this, we're discussing a like system for the forum and offering opinions, no more, no less. If you can't discuss this without the attacks, please refrain from posting.

22 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

It's not 'innocent' and people *can* get hurt by it, even if there is no 'dislike', and multiple people have pointed out how. It doesn't really matter whether people 'should' or 'shouldn't' care about getting likes, and it doesn't matter that it's not your fault or the forum's fault that people may get upset by it..... The fact remains that people *do* get upset by these things, and in general a site should try to avoid implementing something that could negatively impact a good portion of users, whether or not they 'should' be impacted by it. Human nature doesn't really conform to 'should's, and people are going to react and feel the way they do regardless of whether others think it's legit or whatever. 

By that logic, people can be hurt by a lot of things that are already on the forum. Are we going to remove PMs? Are we going to remove signatures? Avatars? Basic posting rights for non-mods?

Yes, a few people may take it too far, but this isn't a free-for-all space like Facebook, Twitter, etc. We have moderators and a userbase that do not tolerate a lot of the behavior people have been worrying about. I would assume that this forum is mature enough to not fall into "popularity contests" (especially since some of you also claim the system would have no value)... but given how worked up people can get sometimes, my assumption may very well be wrong.

(For the sake of clarity: I'm not for or against. Every other forum I use has this, but I only use it very selectively. I could live with this system, and I can live without it.)

(... I'm probably going to regret getting involved in this.)

2 hours ago, KPOP said:

I certainly hope if this were EVER to happen, we wouldn't  get notifications. Ugh. All that would do is clutter one's email.

I'm sorry you feel as you do, but I couldn't agree less with this as an idea.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

Huh, this thread went... Somewhere. This has gotten really off-topic, and I'm just going to mention that swear-censoring isn't really allowed, nor is it necessary? @KPOP, if you check the other thread, people have the exact same opinions regarding reactions. It really isn't anything against you personally - no one attacked you. I understand you're new here as you said, but I posted a suggestion a little while ago which received tons of backlash - it was like 90% opposing me vs 10% on my side, but it's not something to take personally. People just have different opinions, and will voice them.

Anyway, back on topic. I, for one, really approve of a like/react feature, so I support your original suggestion. It's something I've thought of suggesting myself, but then I saw this thread and the reaction thread TJ created. It seems a vocal percentage of the forums are against it, but then again, not every forum user is active in this section, so maybe some people in the RP sections for example might approve and think it'd be helpful. Considering TJ himself suggested reactions it might be something we see in the future, or not, who knows? But yeah, please don't get hung up on people disagreeing. That's just what happens in Suggestions/Requests :P 

1 hour ago, 11th said:

By that logic, people can be hurt by a lot of things that are already on the forum. Are we going to remove PMs? Are we going to remove signatures? Avatars? Basic posting rights for non-mods?

Yes, a few people may take it too far, but this isn't a free-for-all space like Facebook, Twitter, etc. We have moderators and a userbase that do not tolerate a lot of the behavior people have been worrying about. I would assume that this forum is mature enough to not fall into "popularity contests" (especially since some of you also claim the system would have no value)... but given how worked up people can get sometimes, my assumption may very well be wrong.

(For the sake of clarity: I'm not for or against. Every other forum I use has this, but I only use it very selectively. I could live with this system, and I can live without it.)

(... I'm probably going to regret getting involved in this.)

But you can turn off signatures so you never have to see them. You can also disable messenger so you never get PMs. Anyone who posts has to abide by certain rules and their posts can and are outright removed if they don't follow those rules. So sure, people can get hurt over those things, but there are also things in place that can control that. Is there a way to disable 'reactions' or 'likes' if you don't want to see them? I don't know anything about this forum's software, but that would be a must imo. I still wouldn't actually support it, but I would feel much better about the possible levels of negativity if it was something that could be completely disabled, the way PMs and sigs can. 

31 minutes ago, HeatherMarie said:

But you can turn off signatures so you never have to see them. You can also disable messenger so you never get PMs. Anyone who posts has to abide by certain rules and their posts can and are outright removed if they don't follow those rules. So sure, people can get hurt over those things, but there are also things in place that can control that. Is there a way to disable 'reactions' or 'likes' if you don't want to see them? I don't know anything about this forum's software, but that would be a must imo. I still wouldn't actually support it, but I would feel much better about the possible levels of negativity if it was something that could be completely disabled, the way PMs and sigs can. 

This was sort of my thinking when I asked the question above.

Even SO, tho, there are people that seem to be absolutely against it in any form.

AND I can say that IF some of the rumors of how it is misused on FB are true... it is hard to blame them.

NEVER been the target of such a thing or one to make too much of likes myself, but one DOES hear things.

4 hours ago, KPOP said:

sorry for asking i guess? 

There's no reason to be sorry to post something, unless you're actively calling someone out. Which you didn't. However, if you post a suggestion, be prepared to have people discuss its pros and cons in depth. Because it's usually things that don't get thought through that cause problems down the road.

~ Quoted censor evasion removed ~

Well, if nobody should care about getting likes, we don't need likes in the first place? Honestly, nobody said it was your fault that these things tend to happen.

And, to answer the "what's wrong with that" question again: A like doesn't give the slightest cue about what you appreciate. Do you appreciate the poster? The content of the post? Part of it? How the post was worded? The suggestion behind it? Do you like that the poster quoted you, or maybe liked your latest post(s)? A simple like button doesn't tell us any of those things. So, let me return the question: What is right with a like system?

The "like system" may have been created with good intentions, but it's also true that the road to hell is paved with them, too. I'm pretty sure that Facebook was created with good intentions (not counting the intention to get rich with it), and yet, there are suicides clearly caused by drama/bullying on Facebook. 

Well, there are countless different versions of like systems around, and unless we just happen to have seen the one that's available for this particular kind of forum, we don't know for sure which one it is. So, sue us. And, while likes could put a smile on someone's face, the lack of likes could hurt them just the same. Because the expected smile doesn't happen and causes disappointment. (And, back to an earlier point: If people aren't supposed to care about likes, why would we need them in the first place?) Add a notification system to the mix, and things get even worse, and you get bombarded with likes as soon as you visit the site. That is, if there was something to like. Which actually puts pressure on you to get as many likes as you can. It's simple educational science, really. (Each like is a reward, and we're all suckers for rewards, it's in our very nature. Which, in turn, leads to behavior that conforms to norms given by your peer group/like group. Peer pressure, anyone?) Personally, I can do without any of that.

Why didn't you? It might have helped convince other people of your view. Because, well, nothing is obvious to everyone. Things that are obvious to you can be like rocket science to someone else, and vice versa. Personally, I haven't seen a single good thing about the like system that doesn't come with a drawback that, in my opinion, at least outweighs it.

Edited by LadyLyzar
Removing quote of censor evasion

I find the claims about social media reactions to be a bit of a stretch.  Widespread bullying is absolutely not tolerated here and I don't think a like or lack thereof here should push anyone over the edge.  Mods should be notified before something ever reaches that point.

That being said, the forum explicitly is not social media and I see no need for a "like" function.  It serves little purpose and I think it's more trouble than it's worth.

Also, people who go through and "like" every post drive me nuts :)

Gonna walk in as a RP section regular and say: likes have NO use there in my honest opinion. Zero. RPing is about posting replies. Even in the approved section or on wips, I get the feeling it'd be annoying to just get liked and no crits in approval section, and on wips do you know if it's spam likes or no? And then there's the stuff that happens when someone starts hating on specific fandoms or characters cuz don't one else likes em, I'd bet on seeing spite-likes.

@LadyLyzar can I just agree with you on forum=/= social media and chatrooms and seeing no need for likes? Because I do.

Edited by DuskOfTheStars

Neither should we have likes in introductions, forum games or the trading section. Probably not video games, either. Or Help. Just to name a few.

Dragon requests don't really benefit from likes, either.

For SD, it might be a good thing for the OP of a thread, but more or less unnecessary for the other posts.

And let's be honest about the News section - TJ's OP would get thousands of likes, and all other likes would go unnoticed because the threads move so fast.

See a pattern here?

As others have pointed out, adding likes to posts is inherently a subset of reactions as a whole (if it were ever implemented, it'd have to go through the same forum feature), so I'm going to direct this discussion over there: