KPOP

ANSWERED:like system

hi

why doesn't this forum have the usual like system like every other forum has got?

i guess it is not nessacary to survive on a forum but still

it's fun and easy thing to use , especially when you want to reply but not reply to something, you know what i mean :P

Something similar was brought up about two months ago, actually. The forum does support "reactions" to posts, but it's not active at the moment. It might be worth poking that thread if it's something you're interested in.

42 minutes ago, KPOP said:

hi

why doesn't this forum have the usual like system like every other forum has got?

i guess it is not nessacary to survive on a forum but still

it's fun and easy thing to use , especially when you want to reply but not reply to something, you know what i mean :P

Because not all forums have to be "usual". I can't tell you how much I would hate this. If you cannot be bothered to post why you like something - just say nothing. Clicking a button is totally meaningless.

By the way - do you know that actual suicides have happened as a direct result of people "liking" some post on facebook that said some individual should kill themselves, or otherwise bullied them. I am not on facebook, but was shown some stuff by a friend who was - where I had been flamed by name (with lies, in fact) and loads of people had "liked" it. I asked one of them - who I had thought of as a friend - why, and she said oh well, you just like your friends' posts, you don't read them - sorry about that." Says it all. (And no, I was not unduly affected; no hugs etc required - it just served to confirm me in my view that facebook is as bad as so many people say it is.)

By the way - do you know that actual suicides have happened as a direct result of people "liking" some post on facebook that said some individual should kill themselves, or otherwise bullied them. I am not on facebook, but was shown some stuff by a friend who was - where I had been flamed by name (with lies, in fact) and loads of people had "liked" it. I asked one of them - who I had thought of as a friend - why, and she said oh well, you just like your friends' posts, you don't read them - sorry about that." Says it all. (And no, I was not unduly affected; no hugs etc required - it just served to confirm me in my view that facebook is as bad as so many people say it is.)

Even with the like system, I don't think this kind of abuse will ever happen on DC; we're a much smaller community, and we have quickly reacting mods. I'm sorry you had a horrible experience on FB, but I think there's no need to bring such an extreme argument up. </3 We have the reaction system on Discord as well, it's always been there - and it's expanding with more and more emotes - and nobody is abusing it. It's just a little extra to make the chat more alive and expressive. Not necessary for the forum to survive, but it would add a little bit of spice.

Oh I realise it wouldn't happen here. But it is still an indicator that like buttons do as much harm as good.

As I carefully said - it was not a horrible experience on facebook, and you don't have to be sorry about it at all - I don't  go there; I have never seen any point to the place, and being the person I am, I was disgusted rather than upset. I knew the person who posted was a nasty bit of work; I was just rather startled by some of the likes. When I know there is no basis for anything, why would I give a toss ? 

But how does "like" under a post make it more alive and expressive ? Mostly it just means a friend passed by. If someone "liked" a post of mine without saying why, it would mean exactly nothing.

But how does "like" under a post make it more alive and expressive ? Mostly it just means a friend passed by. If someone "liked" a post of mine without saying why, it would mean exactly nothing.

I see them quite like emotes, just placed elsewhere. Back onto Discord - we use Tabs' dragon avatars as emotes/reaction icons, and they work amazingly well. Plain thumbs up/down don't do that, so I imagine a similarly varied system work officially.

Although... I bet there are people out there who are too shy to participate in a discussion or don't have anything super valuable to say but yet they approve of something someone said. It's synonymous with "Yeah support. [end of post]". We get those anyway pretty frequently, so again, I personally see no problem with it.

I'm not wild about those either - and as I recall, in suggestions I thought they weren't permitted... But to each their own. I just think it is an idea I could very happily live without, and I hope it doesn't  happen. I would PARTICULARLY not like to see anything that showed who did and didn't "like". Even in the other thread people are asking that it be anonymous. So rather than what you have there, it would just show something like:  (y) 15

The idea of a long string of tab's avatars on a single post showing WHO liked it is truly awful - it would make the page cluttered and would impede reading. I am assuming there are fewer people on discord than there are here ;)  (Been there; didn't like it at all...)

17 minutes ago, Fuzzbucket said:

The idea of a long string of tab's avatars on a single post showing WHO liked it is truly awful - it would make the page cluttered and would impede reading. I am assuming there are fewer people on discord than there are here ;)  (Been there; didn't like it at all...)

It doesn't work like that. It shows a tiny lil avatar with a number next to it, and only when you hover over the number will it show who's liked it. It doesn't clutter the screen at all, or impede reading whatsoever. Here's an example of me hovering over the avatar. Really not that bad.

We understand that some certain users wouldn't have a use for it - that's great, just don't use it. But there are people who'd have a genuine use for it and enjoy it, and it could help in giving feedback without having threads where there are countless comments of just "support". People who want to expand on their opinion can do so, and people who just want to go in and express their agreement on a certain comment can do so.

I will occasionaly like something on YouTube, but it is very rare. That said, I would prefer that a like/dislike system NOT be added to DC. Too much of a popularity contest and we have enough trolls already.

I very much agree with Fuzz on this. While I do semi-understand the idea that maybe people who don't feel comfortable actually posting for whatever reason would find a 'like' system useful, I don't understand at all how such a system would actually positively affect the forum in any way. 'Likes' mean absolutely nothing without context. I post a long post with multiple points on why I think such-and-such is good or bad, and I get three 'likes'. Does that mean they agree with me, does that mean they like how I said it, does that mean they agree with *one* part of the post, did they even *read* the post? Who knows! 'Like' can mean absolutely anything, from 'I really support this' to 'oh, this is my friend!' and anything in between. They are pretty darn useless imo, especially on a forum that usually has some pretty good and well-thought-out conversations. 

This would not be my cup of tea. If you actually have something to say - say it, if not - don't. A button of this type is not going to impact or contribute to the conversation at all.

Please no like feature. We can respond via articulated posts whether or not we like a subject.

I honestly,, don't see the point in a like system - I never have, and I never will.

It can cause unnecessary upset should a person find their posts not being liked, while the next person is gathering a lot of likes for no apparent reason. (Mother, I am glaring at you for your stupidity that one day, it angers me thinking of it...) And that some people, like myself, who don't typically "like" posts, find themselves feeling obligated to do so (facebook birthdays are in mind here). And there are times when post liking seems out of place -  such as when a family pet dies and someone goes along and likes this post -  does that mean you're standing there maliciously launching at the misfortune or are you empathising? (At least facebook addressed that).

I don't object to a sort of favourite system -  but on this forum there is no need, not unless its being used to privately mark art or posts to go back to at a later time.

As a few people mentioned, it is easily used as a weapon to bully users online and that may cause them to do the unthinkable -  there is all sorts of ways I can think of this system to be abused and used in malicious and hurtful manners.

I can completely understand why someone would rather just hit like in effort to support something being said. I live with an extreme introvert who would rather like something that he agrees with, he only adds posts if his agreement is somewhat modified. He will say what he means as concisely as possible, which if you don't know him, he can be somewhat ambiguous at times. I have found he prefers it when I answer for him -  which we both find funny, while other relatives find weird. He is a man of few words, and trying to start a conversation with him is impossible because he doesn't do small talk. A like system can work for him. And when he does have something to say -  if he is passionate about the subject, BOY will he say it.  Anyway I digress.

to conclude, I don't feel a like system is necessary, Just say your piece, add if need to, counter if you must, Say nothing if you have nothing to add,  then carry on.

Edited by Starscream

As with reactions, I see no reason Dragon Cave's forums should have a like or reaction feature. I much prefer conversation over reactions or liking a post. 

Edited by Dorchet

10 hours ago, HeatherMarie said:

I very much agree with Fuzz on this. While I do semi-understand the idea that maybe people who don't feel comfortable actually posting for whatever reason would find a 'like' system useful, I don't understand at all how such a system would actually positively affect the forum in any way. 'Likes' mean absolutely nothing without context. I post a long post with multiple points on why I think such-and-such is good or bad, and I get three 'likes'. Does that mean they agree with me, does that mean they like how I said it, does that mean they agree with *one* part of the post, did they even *read* the post? Who knows! 'Like' can mean absolutely anything, from 'I really support this' to 'oh, this is my friend!' and anything in between. They are pretty darn useless imo, especially on a forum that usually has some pretty good and well-thought-out conversations. 

You said this all so much better than I could have. I agree with you 100%.

It occurs to me - if someone is absolutely DESPERATE - they can already hit "quote" and post "like". I don't LIKE It when people do that - even though I confess I have borderline done it myself, with "this" XD - but that is an easy solution for these terminally afraid to post people cited here. So why do we need a button ? Quoting would actually draw MORE attention to the post they want to highlight, by restating it. Suppose I come to the event thread and decide I "like" a few posts on page 5. As it is already at page 67 - who is ever going to know ?

I'm with Fuzz and the others on this, I do not want "likes". 

The "Like" feature adds zero meaningful content, because more often than not people don't "like" the content... they like the *poster* regardless of the post. That's how some truly horrid posts get tons of likes. Which also means that, since people behave that way elsewhere already, that's how they will behave here (habit and all that). So what is the use of likes, when alls it will tell you is who is friends with who? 

As for the bullying Fuzz outlines, would that happen on DC?

WHY is it that people ALWAYS think that "what happens xxx place, stays on xxx place"??? 

Simply put: It DOESN'T. Everything on the internet is interconnected, everything can affect everything else, and just because you don't see any abuse... doesn't mean its not happening. And just because you *think* something is private..... doesn't mean it really is. And just because you don't see someone trolling for likes, or lording it over others because of likes, or acting otherwise idiotic over a simple flag, doesn't mean they aren't doing it. It doesn't mean it hasn't been turned into a status symbol. Because that's what likes are on other places, all too often: status symbols that add no meaningful content. 

Now, if I thought "likes" added meaningful content or information or expression of some sort, I might think differently. As it is? I view them as pointless flags that people get messed up over because of social media and "popularity". I think they are unnecessary and have potential to cause problems. 

Food for thought. 

C4.    

Hmmmm.... interesting points all around.

MYSELF, I am sort of neutral on this subject.

I could LIVE with it if it were implemented, BUT as many others have stated it maybe isn't necessary where posts are USUALLY thought through pretty well.

Mostly I would likely do as I do when on FB.... ignore likes by and large unless I FEEL like giving one.

AND I think I understand where those who feel the cons outweigh the pros are coming from.... IMO, while it very WELL might cause more trouble than any benefit it might bring. The thing being how they are used AND, as others have pointed out.... people ALL too often take a simple flag ( meant as a useful tool, no doubt) far, FAR too seriously. Admittedly the example Fuzz gave of suicides being linked to 'likes' is an extreme example; BUT.... it does prove the point that people DO make more of them than they ought and they DO misuse them.

The pros and the cons have been addressed pretty well already.

Edited to ADD- @Fuzzbucket. I WAS wondering if the thing could be set up as an OPTION? For instance, as it currently stands, forum users have the option to 'ignore' stuff by other particular forum users? I WONDER if, if a person wanted to, if the OPTION could be enabled to 'ignore likes'. In which case the forums would appear without them, like it does now?( Again.... not diehard attached to this idea....just WONDERING if there could be a way to implement it while STILL curbing the potential for abuse.)

Dunno how complicated such would be to do...

Edited by JavaTigress

I'd rather do without likes, too. Because it will degenerate into people posting popular opinions in order to collect likes. People not speaking up when they feel necessary because their opinion might not be popular, and might lose them likes in other areas (because, well, some of their die-hard likers might take offense for a while).

5 hours ago, JavaTigress said:

Hmmmm.... interesting points all around.

MYSELF, I am sort of neutral on this subject.

I could LIVE with it if it were implemented, BUT as many others have stated it maybe isn't necessary where posts are USUALLY thought through pretty well.

Mostly I would likely do as I do when on FB.... ignore likes by and large unless I FEEL like giving one.

AND I think I understand where those who feel the cons outweigh the pros are coming from.... IMO, while it very WELL might cause more trouble than any benefit it might bring. The thing being how they are used AND, as others have pointed out.... people ALL too often take a simple flag ( meant as a useful tool, no doubt) far, FAR too seriously. Admittedly the example Fuzz gave of suicides being linked to 'likes' is an extreme example; BUT.... it does prove the point that people DO make more of them than they ought and they DO misuse them.

The pros and the cons have been addressed pretty well already.

Edited to ADD- @Fuzzbucket. I WAS wondering if the thing could be set up as an OPTION? For instance, as it currently stands, forum users have the option to 'ignore' stuff by other particular forum users? I WONDER if, if a person wanted to, if the OPTION could be enabled to 'ignore likes'. In which case the forums would appear without them, like it does now?( Again.... not diehard attached to this idea....just WONDERING if there could be a way to implement it while STILL curbing the potential for abuse.)

Dunno how complicated such would be to do...

What would be the point ? People who don't get any likes will still be upset; people will still "like" their friends without reading their posts, and so on.

Edited by Fuzzbucket

The only place I could see this be useful would be for suggestions/requests, particularly dragon ideas. I can’t be the only one who’s gone “I have absolutely nothing to add, and this thread is three months old, but man do I like this idea”. The popularity contest problem would still apply of course though, so idk?

9 hours ago, Fuzzbucket said:

What would be the point ? People who don't get any likes will still be upset; people will still "like" their friends without reading their posts, and so on.

Fair point.... like I said. More just wondering than anything else.

This sounds like a bad idea, just because something is the standard doesn't mean it's good.

Reasons I think this is a bad idea:

-the like system would be really easy to flame with, most people let up after a couple replies and if it gets too bad the mods intervene but the dislike button is quick, easy, and no one really calls anyone out for dog-piling, seeing someone with 100 dislikes doesn't normally affect you but BEING someone with 100 dislikes could cut deeper than you'ed think.

-and on the reverse end "likes" have begun to be a prize to be won and that can be annoying.

-a simple YES/NO doesn't help with discussion, it doesn't state WHY someone dose/doesn't like something it just says YES/NO

Edited by blockEdragon

ok so i posted this just because a like system on a forum could be ''fun'' 

god did i know this kinda simple light hearted thread would create this kinda talk, damn gurl

sorry for asking i guess? BountifulDefensiveCanvasback-max-1mb.gif

(of course you guys are entitled to your own opinion but yeah, i did not see this coming basically)

i did not read all replies really but to reply a little bit

the fact people care about getting likes on forums and else where and that they get depressed if they don't get ''enough'' or get ''disliked'' instead  and so it turns into an abusive system is not my fault

nobody's fault that some people just take things way too far and care about stupid things like getting likes

you shouldn't care about whether you get 1 like on your forum post or 0

and if you do care , you need to rethink some stuff, just saying

a freaking like system i assume was originally created to be a positive thing and the fact people turned it into a fkin war system is just sad

doesn't mean a forum would be bad having a like system

(on my own forum i only allow like feature, no dislike feature for reasons mentioned above)

getting likes on post is just a way to show you appreciate something, what the heck is wrong with that? 

so you can post to show appreciation as well... yeah ok but what's the big deal if you just want to show appreciation by clicking a like button

again, i know you are entitled to your own opinion but i think some people are taking this like system suggestion way too serious, for crying out loud, this is a forum and one filled with decent nice people as far as i can tell so far, this is not youtube or a social media platform, please

@Orchi'dea thank you for feeling me

@Fuzzbucket who would know? the person who created the post lol, a like system should auto come with a notification system attached, so people get notified when their post was liked

which could lead to a smile on someones face + on a lot of other forums posting the word ''like'' only is considered spamming and that is not allowed on most forums, presumably this forum included.

you coming up with all kinds of reasons why this shouldn't happen and some of them are actually kinda weird to me to put it nicely

''The idea of a long string of tab's avatars on a single post showing WHO liked it is truly awful - it would make the page cluttered and would impede reading.''

do you even know what a like system looks like on a ipb forum? (which is the software this forum uses) if you don't then.................

https://invisioncommunity.com/forums/topic/443720-my-new-nice-landing-page/ the support forum of the software that is used here

there you go, that's how a like system looks like on ipb, nothing like you ''imagined''

not cluttering anything AT ALL

from my impression so far you don't seem to know a lot about how a like system works on a forum let alone on a ipb forum like this one yet you already came fired up

with all sorts of reasons and theorys why its ''oh so horrible''

yet i could make a list of plenty of good things about a like button but i didn't do that when i created this thread as what's the point? it should be obvious, just saying

see again, i really don't see the problem adding an innocent like system on a forum

as long as you do not feature the dislike button, people can't get easily ''hurt'' by getting dislikes as that is supposedly a thing

FYI i honestly do not give a crap whether it gets added on here or not in the end

I JUST GOT HERE so i'm not invested in this place

this was just a freaking simple suggestion lol , one that i thought could be a nice addition but clearly people got problems with it 

so whatever, fine by me , suit yourself

gonna be fun when im gonna post another suggestion for this place, if ever lol <3

Edited by KPOP

Well for one thing, when you're the sort of person ignore a thread by the literal admin on the first page to post the exact same suggestion and then get butthurt when people say that likes are a useless/actively harmful mechanic (because... they are, in a forum setting where the point is to use your words, and quite frankly they're not useful anywhere outside a chatroom either), it's really not a surprise that people react negatively to your post.

Likes are useless. Most sites that have likes would be better off not having them, outside of gallery sites where favorite systems act to show other people the art you favorited. Likes are even more useless on a forum, because it would actively interfere with discussion--many people with anxiety have stated that they would actively refrain from posting if such things were implemented. On a forum that is slow at best, that's a death knell.