TJ09

2016-02-23 - Cafepress Store Closing

There's a reason things are structured that way. There's a lot more going on around the holidays than just the releases of new holiday dragons, and people like to have time to prepare for that. DC has PLENTY of new species already. We hardly need to be releasing new ones as often as you suggest. Firstly, most sites I've played DON'T put out new releases that often, so I'm not sure where you get your information, but if "most" sites do indeed release that often, it's because they have little else to keep people's attention, or because they're newer and smaller than DC and need to produce more to offer. DC has plenty to occupy people between releases, and, again, it has dozens of species already. People would actually get really upset if we had new releases every two weeks. That would barely give time to collect the last new release before having to scramble for the new one.

Also, DC has a HUGE userbase. Lack of interest in the site is definitely not the issue. CafePress, YEARS ago, was expensive but had decent quality products. I have some CafePress shirts that I made in the early 2000s that still look pretty good and haven't worn through. However, it sounds like the quality has fallen off a lot over time, and since the prices were barely justifiable to begin with, the poor quality of the merchandise is almost certainly what killed the shop. That plus the lack of new designs.

The problem with this argument is that it assumes most players are interested in all features. This is not the case. I and many others are not the least bit interested in things like lineages, which are the only other main attraction around here. For us, the main appeal to DC is the dragon collection alone. For those of us who have been using the site for long enough, and aren't those rare army builders, the only reason to keep coming here is to get new dragons. If suddenly there were no new dragon releases or less dragon releases, people like me would stop coming here as often and eventually would just stop coming at all.

Grabbed 1 copy of 2 mouse pads I've been eyeing. At least I'll have a piece of DC history now.

I'll use them sparingly since I have one right now that's in almost perfect shape.

The problem with this argument is that it assumes most players are interested in all features. This is not the case. I and many others are not the least bit interested in things like lineages, which are the only other main attraction around here. For us, the main appeal to DC is the dragon collection alone. For those of us who have been using the site for long enough, and aren't those rare army builders, the only reason to keep coming here is to get new dragons. If suddenly there were no new dragon releases or less dragon releases, people like me would stop coming here as often and eventually would just stop coming at all.

But what does this have to do with the STORE ?

But what does this have to do with the STORE ?

More people on the main site = more potential buyers in the store.

I've been a part of adoptable sites that release every two weeks and quit them because I don't have time to keep up with that. Also DC has a limit on how quick things can grow while most adoptable sites do not, which is the reason releases are slower.

More people on the main site = more potential buyers in the store.

I've been a part of adoptable sites that release every two weeks and quit them because I don't have time to keep up with that. Also DC has a limit on how quick things can grow while most adoptable sites do not, which is the reason releases are slower.

OK - but given that TJ has mentioned player numbers in the very many thousands, I think we probably have enough to be going on with. I play ALL the time - but I have never fancied any of the store stuff, I have to say. And nor do my IRL friends who also play hard...

I think the bigger problem with the store is the lack of options. There are, what, nineteen different dragon designs, not counting the egg and the DC logo. We have over 160 dragon breeds on this site. That's not really much to choose from in the store. And no newer releases, nothing new in *years*. I would totally buy more from the store if they had a Royal Blue design, or a Bleeding Moon, or a Hellhorse. Anything more recent would at least give me reason to poke around the store again.

That's true - I don't know when I last saw a new PRODUCT in there, never mind a new design. I vaguely THOUGHT about a chicken mug once - but the postage would have been high, there would have been customs charges (which with the £8 the post office charges to collect them is too painful - let's just say I have been hit THREE TIMES THIS WEEK !!! and UK limits are ridiculously low.) - I have mugs anyway, so... That kind of thing does kind of mean it would always most likely be US exclusive anyway - and postage costs have rocketed this year too.

ETA I just went to look at postage and stuff - ALL the links to ask about it for the UK come up with an oops that page does not exist. That's not of course down to DC - but it really doesn't help. sad.gif Go to the alleged UK store and NO DC stuff will come up.

Edited by fuzzbucket

My mugs arrived, they're super cute. If the store was remaining open, I probably would not buy anything else, but I'm glad I have these.

My mugs arrived, they're super cute. If the store was remaining open, I probably would not buy anything else, but I'm glad I have these.

I ordered a mug too (hated to pay that shipping cost...and the price of the mug tbh, don't drink much from mugs), but the Gotham mug was just too cute to pass up! Which ones did you order?

Well, not saying it's a bad/good thing, but is the store closed yet?

No idea - but if you can get there and buy something, I assume not !

Well, not saying it's a bad/good thing, but is the store closed yet?

The link still works for me, so I guess not.

I've paid far less for shipping in many other places. One site I shop at regularly has a flat rate of $3, and two others offer free shipping on orders of $25 or more. Cafe Press has always been insane.

I got my dc stuff from cafepress this past week and I think I now know one reason why their postage is expensive. They send out multiple packages for multiple item orders. I made one order and got three different packages. My mousepad had its own package, my tote bag had its own package and my button pins came in a single envelop. Everything could have fit in a single package, but no.

In my experience purchasing multiple items in a single order reduces shipping cost compared to ordering separately, but with Cafepress, that's not exactly the case.

Edited by Daydreamer09

I ordered a mug too (hated to pay that shipping cost...and the price of the mug tbh, don't drink much from mugs), but the Gotham mug was just too cute to pass up! Which ones did you order?

I got the Neglected and the BBW, they were the ones that appealed to me the most, haha. I figure if the store is closing I should get a couple, since I drink from mugs all the time.

I ordered from CafePress many times, not DC stuff though.

My orders have always been processed quickly, and have been good quality, and relatively cheap, so paying a bit more for postage doesn't bother me.

I would love to get a mug, but I don't drink out of mugs.

I suppose it would make a great pen/pencil cup though.

Ordered a few items. Total shipping cost to my country is not very expensive ($ 11). Worse is that they sent four (yes, 4) packages without tracking numbers. I hope that I will get the items and nothing to lose.

Unfortunately, the site can't be designed around the convenience of a minority. The majority of players are interested in more than just new releases and would in fact be seriously inconvenienced as I previously described by an increase in the release rate here. I'm sorry that this means a minority of players feels the release rate is too slow, but my entire point was that it's impossible to please everyone. If we increased the release rate, sure, players like you would be happy - but an equal or larger amount of OTHER players would be just as UNhappy. So for DC where is the benefit of changing the schedule? Best to stick with what's worked fine for them for years longer than most of the other sites have existed.

I also want to point out that your reducto ad absurdum argument doesn't make a lot of sense. No one ever suggested DC slow down or stop releasing new dragons, and if they did, clearly a lot more people would be upset than just collector-only type players. Lineage builders would not have new material for lineage building if releases stopped. I was pointing out that DC has no need to -increase- the speed of releases, which is a very different thing.

Edited by Lurhstaap

I need a dummy button between "Forum" and "Log out" - I tend to click the "Help" button these days instead of "Forum" just to avoid misclicking "Log out" xd.png

I need a dummy button between "Forum" and "Log out" - I tend to click the "Help" button these days instead of "Forum" just to avoid misclicking "Log out" xd.png

Haha. And NOW I understand why I so often find myself on the Help page lately... when I was just aiming for the Forum. rolleyes.gif

We need plushies!!! happy.gif I would have tons of those lol <3

I placed my last order sadly.

Edited by Rascal1414

I got my Neglected and BBW mouse pads today. I will use them and try to inflict as little damage as possible to admire their beauty for years to come.

Unfortunately, the site can't be designed around the convenience of a minority. The majority of players are interested in more than just new releases and would in fact be seriously inconvenienced as I previously described by an increase in the release rate here. I'm sorry that this means a minority of players feels the release rate is too slow, but my entire point was that it's impossible to please everyone. If we increased the release rate, sure, players like you would be happy - but an equal or larger amount of OTHER players would be just as UNhappy. So for DC where is the benefit of changing the schedule? Best to stick with what's worked fine for them for years longer than most of the other sites have existed.

I also want to point out that your reducto ad absurdum argument doesn't make a lot of sense. No one ever suggested DC slow down or stop releasing new dragons, and if they did, clearly a lot more people would be upset than just collector-only type players. Lineage builders would not have new material for lineage building if releases stopped. I was pointing out that DC has no need to -increase- the speed of releases, which is a very different thing.

When I started here there was 1-2 dragons a month, plus the holiday dragons. Now theres only been holiday dragons since before October. SIX months and 3 dragons is not in anyway how it started. And lineages weren't around until long after this place got popular.

Three dragons in half a year is definitely a massive change. Nobodys suggesting we get more that normal, but to suggest the release rate right now IS normal is absurd.

So is suggesting that the ways the site operated that made it popular before the other sites were around should be good enough to keep everyone coming and staying. Im sure thats what Myspace said.

When the influx of players stops, and other players get bored and start leaving, the store can't sustain itself, and we're trying to pretend 3 dragons in half a year is normal, its insane to say "well it worked 10 years ago so". My flip phone worked ten years ago, but I don't use it anymore.

Is there a way to still access the store or is it finally closed?

Is there a way to still access the store or is it finally closed?

If you go to Cafepress website and search for Dragon Cave you can still find items, but I suspect they won't be there much longer, since the link is gone from the Dragon Cave page.

When I started here there was 1-2 dragons a month, plus the holiday dragons. Now theres only been holiday dragons since before October. SIX months and 3 dragons is not in anyway how it started. And lineages weren't around until long after this place got popular.

Actually - that's not strictly true. Perception with hindsight is a wonderful thing, but....

They were very patchy. Full history.More frequent than lately, but still patchy with gaps of a few months at times.

The only time that we got regular releases was the brief "once a month" period. I loved that... sad.gif