zaverxi

I found all the deleted news files pre-2010

Vampire release thread? Check.

Trio/GoN release? Check.

Valentine '09 release? Check!

I give you:

THE WAYBACK MACHINE

Oh man I completely forgot how TJ used to announce new dragons. He used Saurian in the titles and created an account just for that...

But yeah, I discovered this site for something else I was interested in looking up, and decided, what the heck, why not. And yep! At the very least, we have everything since January 2008, which was before even I was on the forums! This link contains the earliest newspost that exists, because apparently there was an entire forum wipe that was not saved.

Sadly a lot of these links are broken, but a good portion of them do still work.

Hahahahah, the Vampire release thread is there but no one posted in it because it was locked immediately. 'Invasion of Evil' indeed....

Anyone remember pre-2010 in the cave? biggrin.gif Reminisce with me!

Trio/GoN release? Check.

I give you:

THE WAYBACK MACHINE

Oh man I completely forgot how TJ used to announce new dragons. He used Saurian in the titles and created an account just for that...

But yeah, I discovered this site for something else I was interested in looking up, and decided, what the heck, why not. And yep! At the very least, we have everything since January 2008, which was before even I was on the forums! This link contains the earliest newspost that exists, because apparently there was an entire forum wipe that was not saved.

Sadly a lot of these links are broken, but a good portion of them do still work.

Hahahahah, the Vampire release thread is there but no one posted in it because it was locked immediately. 'Invasion of Evil' indeed....

WOW thank you!

I love the Wayback Machine! I wasn't on DC until 2012, but it'll be fun to look through anyway biggrin.gif

I remember back when vampires were released and people thought they were killing dragons on their scrolls. Good times. l'D

Thanks for the link!

I remember back when vampires were released and people thought they were killing dragons on their scrolls. Good times. l'D

Thanks for the link!

Oh my gosh, I remember that. I remember all that on the forums and trying to figure out how they got the vampires.

Trio/GoN release? Check.

I give you:

THE WAYBACK MACHINE

Thanks for posting this and the forum skin with the snowflakes and eggs for user's levels had the frost on them. I completely forgot it was like that back then x]

Oh the memories ^^

The Lagmonster! It was during the Lagmonster attack that I joined the forum.

Ah yes, the first Lagmonster appearance ^^ The banner I have doesn't have a date like the others I have seen but all I remember was it was from the first appearance of that beast.

Edited by ~X~

Wait, so BSA's (at least Incubate and Influence) started WAAAAY back in '09? I thought they started later than that..

Don't remember when I started. My oldest dragon is a Green Dino from March 09. But I did have several "must start over" phases.

I do remember releasing my CB '09 Valentines because I decided to "quit." T_T

Wait, so BSA's (at least Incubate and Influence) started WAAAAY back in '09? I thought they started later than that..

Don't remember when I started. My oldest dragon is a Green Dino from March 09. But I did have several "must start over" phases.

I do not remember if there was BSA's for influencing or incubation. I do not think so for influencing since when I joined Bright Pinks were being transitioned out for the Pinks now. However, I do not remember. Incubation I do not remember at all. Teleports and fertility I think not though.

My oldest dragon is a CB Purple (before fertility BSA was implemented).

And aww, I'm sorry about the releasing of your Valentine's.

Thanks for the link!

I remember that. I remember putting mine at the very bottom of my scroll as far from my eggs as I could. Good times indeed.

Edited by Wiz

Good Grief! was that release a disaster. I was so paranoid of having my scroll burned that I abandoned all but ONE of the original Vampires.

But that 'way back machine' certainly proves that not much has changed.. TJ is still as uncommunicative as ever. Case in point, will we, or will we not have a raffle this year.

Oh yeah, I'm sure had incubate (and I think influence) before Christmas '09 - that was the year that lots of people got to breed their newly bred adults from that Christmas because TJ hadn't realised that the BSA would make things grow up before the end of the breeding season. rolleyes.gif I had this guy and then I bred his son (who I'm sorry to say is wild now because I released him back when we still had a 2-dragon limit because I wanted another 2G Yulebuck...)

I don't know that Influence or Incubate existed in my first period in the Cave, June, 2008, but they were a solid part of the cave culture when I returned in September of 2010.

However, it was impossible for me to trade or gift until Teleport was added in June of 2011, since my internet connection and lousy coordination meant I would not be able to catch trades in the AP. All trades and gifts passed through the AP, meaning anyone could snipe an egg as it passed through. It was really hard work to find a nice lineage before Teleport. I really do love Teleport! biggrin.gif

WOW! That brings back memories. I'm going to go digging through it.

Oh wow, this is awesome!

October 23rd, 2008: Breed action for males, release, an actual Help section, and no more banning after 10 kills!

Wow. Love this!

I miss being able to tell if a Vine or Black was an alt as an egg.

I miss multiple clutches. Ahh seeing three gold eggs at once on the breed page.

But I really don't miss frantically refreshing the 'get' code of a trade and hoping no one else caught it.

Definitely don't miss the frantic AP trading, that's for sure. xd.png

Hm I didn't know there WAS a threat of banning for killing dragons because I never did kill one. Some died because I was a noob, but... yeah.

And yeah alt blacks and alt vines. XP Now we gotta wait til they hatch on our scroll before we abandon them. :/

*pokes bred black egg on his scroll*

At least it means blacks and vines aren't flooding the AP anymore. People are more willing to keep hatchlings than eggs at least.

I actually think the way trading worked before Teleport was the reason why I didn't trade anymore, haha. This super takes me back, reminding me how I refused to use BSAs because "I was too used to not having BSAs", though in reality, it was probably some form of elitism...

Feels super weird to have Sock with a blueish color especially since I was only active(ish) during 2012, when he got the shiny green global moderator tag. tongue.gif

Heh, I haven't registered in the forums until '13, but I've been playing since '08. (Oh, that's going to be 8 years now? Great, I feel old now.)

I still remember the old hatch timers that were giving the days left in decimal fractions. It did take me a while to figure out how many minutes 0.01 of a day was... and didn't eggs hatch after precisely 3.5 days back then, if they had enough views?

I'm also pretty sure that lineage views were added significantly later than the breeding system, since I do remember picking up bred eggs from the AP because they had the longest lineages I could find [what is inbreeding and a "messy" lineage anyway, pffft. Nobody cared because nobody saw!] And then there were the black and vine walls in the AP, of course.

...oh and there's the xd.png egg in a release announcement! I still remember that there were several of those "joke" eggs and pages that one could find with a lot of poking around.

Does anyone else remember the time when discussion about egg descriptions and such like were absolutely prohibited, and other sites even got banned from displaying dragcave.net (it was actually dragcave.atx-something back then...) images? That was sort of... weird. Good thing that rule is not in effect anymore, back then we had like 10 or 12 different species and even that was enough to be confusing.

Oh, and no biomes. Weird how I've gotten used to them. I remember trying to catch my Christmas dragons with 800-900 people refreshing the main site like crazy. Can't say that I miss that, or hunting for any other rare dragon with that much competition.

Ah the rumor that vampires would kill the eggs on your scroll, and frantically moving them far away. Who remembers "Egg will die if it doesn't hatch in: 4.24 days"? I had a chart stuck on monitor with how many minutes everything was.

So many old names I recognize from those posts.

Edited by ainisarie

I remember AP trading and when we only had one CB place, with three slots (and four on halloween '10 because the eggs were so hard to grab!)

Man, this is really cool. I miss those days.

wow some of these posts from long ago make me just kinda headdesk...

I saw one in the news section you posted 42 where TJ was instructing everyone to line their dragons in their sigs horizontally, and ppl were like "My browser doesn't word wrap" like jesus was technology primitive

This sounds so interesting! I didn't join DC until 2013, but it would be really fun to look back into the old days.