AroaraAngelwolf

By the ocean blue...

The pearl inside was pink and one of the finest quality. The bartender and a sailor answered his question. "Aye, there was one singing by the lighthouse when we sailed in this mornin'. We were headin' in her direction when another one jumped out of the water and pushed the one on the rock into the drink. Then a short song lead us away from the rocks and then was gone! Didn't get a good look at her, but the one on the rock had an orca tail..." Bartender nodded to the sailor and added as he wipes the counter down, "I heard the lighthouse keeper works with a sea witch. When the lass was in town I had my wife ask her why she worked with one, for sirens aren't known to keep their word on any promise, and she said it keeps the other sirens from singing and makes her job easier..."

_______

Engl shrugged. "Understandable, wouldn't trust my kind either, brutes the lot of 'em. My name is Engl. Yours?" She tilted her head then looked out at the sea foam. "The work isn't all that great but someone has to do it... at least I enjoy it...well.... I do get awfully lonely though.... 'Keeping ain't for everybody but somebody gots to do it' is what my dad used to say...... " She said looking down and plucking at her soaked shirt.

(Please Seacat, so it's even when mage joins. You don't have to introduce him until mage has hers up))

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus rubbed his chin in thought, "A siren that stops sirens? That's something you don't hear everyday... and I've been on the sea all my life... thanks." With that he finished his drink and headed to the dock to check over his ship. He thought about what the siren said and laughed. He was on vacation. He didn't need a crew or a better ship. He went done to the beach and watched the ocean waves.

Fyre appeared once more at the drop off where the waves start. Her red fun flicked upwards and made a splash as she dove under again. A shark fin appeared on the water then another.

Jacus squinted to try and see the siren better. He thought about it for a moment, sirens aren't trustworthy... they will kill you the instant they get you in water... but then again... he just needs to stay out of the water, beyond that he was safe... right? His mind went back and forth but in the end, he just watched, he took off his shoes and sat, feet being splashed by the light waves.

((Okay! I wanted to make another character anyways, so this is a good reason to.))

"Brutes indeed," he muttered, before realizing she had asked what his name was. "It's Tyne," he responded, swimming over to Engl and pulling himself up to sit beside her on the rock, showing off both his his shirtless torso and his tail... Along with the scar on it. "I'm going to guess something happened to your family, then. I can relate. Can't remember what happened to them, though. Also, don't you have the siren to keep you company? Whenever she visits, that is?" Tyne inquired. "Does no one else visit?"

Edited by seacatsmew

Fyre appeared closer this time, far enough away so she doesn't have to shout but in water that would reach his hips. "How did it go? Did you sell it yet?" her tail flicked impatiently.

____

Engl looked at the scar on him and a saddened look made her eyebrows draw together . She looked away and at her feet, then at his fin and back at her feet. "Mom died giving birth to me.... my dad passed from a scarlet fever nine years ago. The siren isn't much company... we barely talk.... and she only visits on calm days over here which are rare... sometimes I get a traveler or a few wounded sailors but... they never say and.. I ... don't talk well with people.." She looked at his scar again. Sirens she doesn't care for but merpeople are normally peaceful. Cases where merpeople drowned humans where unusual but not unheard of and normally have a cause to them. Who ever did that to him must have been cruel just to hurt him. No wonder he doesn't trust humans.

Jacus watched her get closer and shook his head, a smile on his face, "I did not. A man makes his own path in life, but I will keep it until the time I really need it. As for what you said before, I am on leave. I don't need a better ship or any crew." He laughed to himself. He couldn't believe he was conversing with a siren of all things. He might as well be playing checkers with a kraken.

Fyre nodded thoughtfully. "Wise decision sailor. And let it be a reminder that not all are the same. Vacation? What sights to see here but a few merpeople and sirens who are slowly seeping into myth and legends? The best beauty lies inside the blue waters.... but all you sailors are the same, at least you didn't try to stick me with you cutlass, or shoot me on sight, So......... I guess I can take back my words and say not all you sailors are the same...."

Jacus couldn't help but laugh, "Not all sailors are the same, not all sirens are the same. We both have things to learn from the other." He smiled and looked out to the sea, "I cannot disagree that the sea is the world's true beauty... I may be human but I've been on the ocean most of my life..."

"Really? So you know of the reefs and colorful fish that live in it? Not many sailors pay attention to such things. .." She came a little closer to him, about to the point where it reached his knees and didn't dare venture farther than that. Her gleaming black and silver tail was long, about the length of a small canoe, the fin making it seem longer trailed behind her like streamers. Her aquamarine colored eyes stark contrast with her vibrant red hair that curled around her face.

Tyne nodded in understanding, before noticing her gaze on his scar. He tensed up, but tried not to let it show too much. "Either my tail has caught your eye- or blinded it, considering how reflective it is- or you've noticed the scar. ...Judging by your expression, it's the latter." He raised his tail off the rock, before dropping it back down again, though carefully. "It's not all that bad. When it first healed, I could barely swim. It was hard to bend my tail. Now, it doesn't really bother me," he told her, though a bit quietly. "...I can honestly say that that was the first time I have seen a siren and a human just sitting there together. Was actually the only reason I came over here. To see, that is," he admitted after a moment. "You're lucky I did, I guess. And that today is, apparently, the day where I make bad decisions based on humans," he added, deciding to leave out the fact that his decisions were based on her. And oh, hey, look, he made another decision based on her!

((Bad laptop. It posted before I finished. Again. Give me a sec.

EDIT: Aaand there. Sorry about that.))

Edited by seacatsmew

Jacus though for a moment, "I have dabbled here and there. I once went swimming in a reef alone with a harpoon to hunt a hammerhead shark. The reef was torn up from boat traffic and there weren't too many fish. The shark was a man eater, so I was paid to kill it." He smiled at the memory, he killed the shark with the harpoon as it charge at him, he got a direct shot up the mouth into the brain.

She blushed and looked away. "S-sorry. I-I don't mean....T-They should h-have known better then t-to do that.... " She bit her lip, her stutter was strong when she was nervous no matter who she was with. "She keeps..... the ships... from hitting the r-rocks... I guess you...... can say we are p-partners in a w-way..." She said slowly trying to stop her stutter. "We all make b-bad choices, but I guess in my d-dilemma I wouldn't have c-called it a bad one.... you d-did save my l-life..."

----------

"Sharks are fun to mess with, but here the water is deep enough so the reefs aren't hit by boats. Not to many man killers, must have been raised by my sisters, they teach them to do that... horrible thing to do.." She shuddered

Jacus sat down in the sand, "And why is that your sisters treat our lives are playthings while you and other merfolk don't. We both have blood, we both are alive, we both have skin. We just live different lives and have a difference in movement." At this point he felt comfortable. He was having a casual chat with a woman that happened to be part fish, but at least she didn't slap him or try to get in his pants.

"Indeed.." She said with a sigh coming close enough so the surf washed over her tail as she sat in the sand beside him, well... lower then him but kinda by him. After a long moment of silence she said wistfully, "Not all the magic and singing in the sea could give me two legs..... you are lucky you know, being able to sit in the sun without worrying about drying out, or do those dances you humans do sometimes on ships.....I love the sea, it's my home, but... sometimes I want a vacation from endless blue.. I want to see endless green.... or the colors of the port without almost being killed....."

Tyne chuckled, because honestly, he found her blush and stutter amusing. ...And adorable, but he banished those thoughts, because appearances could be deceiving. So could noises. "Makes sense. The partnership, that is." He paused. "...Are you saying you're glad to have met me, then?" he asked, raising an eyebrow as he realized what she had said. "Not that I'd blame you. After all, if you're blushing that much just from being caught staring at me..." He trailed off with a smirk. Noticing his tail was getting a bit dry, he splashed a bit, effectively spraying water on both of them. "...Oops."

Jacus laughed, "It's like your tempting me to trade places with you... so I would love to see more of the ocean and it's treasures. But like you fear drying up, I fear drowning or being eaten by some sea beast. I'm a good swimmer, but I couldn't outswim a flounder." He took a moment to observe the siren. Her unique form and tail, something fascinating to she up close and be able to talk about it later to others.

Engl didn't notice the water, she was curled up in a ball on the rock. Her cheeks and nose where crimson. "T-t-thank your for s-saving me........." She got up swiftly and places her knife in her belt and picked up her broken rod, hopping on the rocks with careful steadiness then on to her deck walking away stiffly, to embarrassed to say anything more to him. Once on the land she broke into a sprint up the slick steps craved into the cliff for easy access to the rescue boat. She was breathing heavily by the time she got up to the lighthouse. She went inside the house part (only one story tall) and went quickly to the steps looking out of one of the many windows in the sea side to see if the merman was still there.

-----------_______

"A flounder is a flat fish that dwell on the bottom, and they don't swim very fast but use currents to push them along." She didn't mention that a kiss from her would keep him from drowning. Sea monsters are quite tame unless you get into their territory... there are a couple I know of that made it a sport to wreck ships but.... they are to old now to anything more then bump a ship...." She saw the tide was going out and her tail was drying..... turning from sleek black and silver to a dull solid grey, her side fins opened and closed, the red turning pink as she started to dry out. Fyre thrashed out in the sand spraying wet chunks everywhere as she twisted and clawed to get back in the water moving much like a snake with arms, but was slower then a seal on land in her panic.

Jacus blinked as she clawed towards the ocean. He didn't know that they would dry so fast, but he remembered it was midday. If it was night, she would have been fine for longer. He felt bad that she was struggling, so he got up and took her hands. Walking into the ocean, he began to pull her into the ocean, not expecting the extra weight that was her long tail. He grunted as he pulled, eventually pulling her into the water, Jacus standing in the ocean, water up to his stomach now. "Better?"

Fyre was both surprised and relived that he helped her. She had her hand on her chest taking deep breaths to calm herself down. "Yes... yes thank you very much." She balanced on her tail, it being bent under her so her upper body was level with his. "You know what happens when a fish is out of water for too long? The same thing happens to us. We live long lives, but when we are beached, it only takes a short time and a hot sun to end it. I'm a way of saying "thank you" I shall give you my name: Fyre..... " She waited a moment for him to respond before saying. "Well kind sailor, I must be leaving now. May the waves bid you good luck..."She turned and dived down into the waves.

Tyne couldn't help it- He laughed at her reaction. It wasn't a rude laugh, of course. He just found the fact that she was so flustered by that cu- Amusing, not cute! Bad Tyne! he scolded himself as he pushed himself back into the water, disappearing underneath the surface only to appear again, moments later. "Hmm, what to do..." he muttered, looking around, before turning away from the rock and diving into the water, silver scales catching the light before they vanished deep underneath the surface once again. He had spotted something near the ocean floor, so he wanted to find out what it was.

As soon as the merman reached the area he had seen it, he scanned the area. A glint caught his eye. He swam towards it, and noticed it was... Some weird trinket. He picked it up and stared at it for a moment, before deciding it was useless to him and swam up to put it on the flat-ish rock. He dove back down to see if there was anything else that was interesting.

((The trinket can be whatever- jewelry, locket, old fishing hook, random junk. Just needed something for him to do. It's shiny though.))

Jacus watched as Fyre began to swim away. It was sudden but a big grin came upon his face as he shouted, "Remember the name Captain Jacus Von Fang!" When she was gone he sighed and pulled out the oyster. He looked at the pearl inside and closed it, putting it back in his pocket. "Come on Jacus... friendly or not, sirens are trouble..." He chuckled to himself and headed back to the port. Paying for a room, he began to wander till dark, exploring shops and taverns.

Fyre laughed underwriter at his boldness. Certainly had a big ego that sailor. She headed back to her cave on the far side of the lighthouse waving to the merman and pointed to the skeletons of rotting hulls. "More stuff in those, happy hunting!" She called as she swam passed and into the cave she called home.

______

Engl cleaned the lighthouse top to bottom which took the rest of the day, but occasionally she would look outside for the merman, curious about what he is doing. She lights the lamp inside and started the rotation of the mirrors, now polished to a shine so bright the beam could be seen for miles.

Tyne nodded to the siren in thanks and spent the rest of the day exploring and gathering random objects that were useless to him but gave him something to do. Noticing that the sun had gone down, he swam upwards to the surface and stayed there for a bit, staring at the sky and breathing in the familiar scent of saltwater that he had known all of his life. He let out a soft hum as he watched the light from the lighthouse circle around and around. After a while, he dove back underwater, ombre hair trailing behind him. All this carrying random junk around was a bit tiring. ...And he wanted to see if the girl was there. Not that she would be, considering the lighthouse, but he had a right to be curious.

He swam over to the flat-ish rock he had placed her on when he had saved her. Nope, not there. Unless she had some sort of ability to become invisible, but he didn't think humans could do that. Actually, he didn't think anyone could. Either way, that was what he expected, and he scolded himself for thinking otherwise. And for thinking about her, too, because for all he knew, she could just be faking this all and getting him to trust her before finishing him off. Deciding that he had done more then enough exploring for today, he swam away to find somewhere to rest.

((Aaand can't think of anything else.))

Edited by seacatsmew

As nighttime came around, Jacus was making friends with a group of sailors, singing and drinking. Jacus left the tavern and made his way to the port inn, his hand in his pocket holding the oyster. He sighed and looked at the lighthouse shining across the sea. He once again went to the shore, enjoying the cooler air of the night and the stars above.