Dekka

"Previous Owners" on Eggs/Hatchies in the AP

My suggestion for the cave is to have a "Previous Owners" sort of thing on an egg or hatchling when you pick it up from the AP. It would basically show who had the dragon originally and then whoever had it next, and next, and next, etc depending on how many times the dragon was abandoned. A user's name would not show up if they have their scroll hidden. You could also disable showing up on the "Previous Owners" page. The page would not exist for trades or caveborns, only abandoned eggs and hatchies [ and CBs that have been abandoned ]. Also, the page would go away once the dragon grows up, and maybe you could disable seeing the link on your page in Settings too. I thought this would be useful for people who have lost eggs. Say I catch a 2G Silver from the AP and I was wondering if someone lost it? This could be helpful to contact those previous owners. (:

Displayed like this on the page?

user posted image

This is a really good idea! It would also be good for checking if a CB egg was actually found in the AP or not. (I would use that in The Evil Project, when I'm updating, to make sure members aren't getting their eggs from the cave.)

Given that you have to willfully choose to abandon an egg, I don't think that many people would 'lose' an egg to the AP.

Personally, I think this might open up the possibility of harassment (ie, someone might send me a PM saying "I see you dropped 10 eggs into the AP, you're such an irresponsible breeder!"). Even if you can deactivate it, I just don't see any benefits that would outweigh any possible risks or hassle.

(Yes, I know that you can report harassment, I just don't like the idea of opening up anything that might create more issues.)

I think the only way an egg gets lost is if it was auto-abandoned, which are pretty much vampires.

I don't see a need for this myself . Bred eggs have a "previous owner" if they want it known.

I don't see why it would be necessary for CB eggs. Too much information.

What about people (like me) who have a different scroll name and forum name? I like the idea, but this coupled with the ability to disable or not show previous owners with hidden scrolls doesn't seem like it would do much to help people find lost eggs. It also seems like it might make it easier to do "unhelpful" things like viewbomb as well.

Given that you have to willfully choose to abandon an egg, I don't think that many people would 'lose' an egg to the AP.
I think the only way an egg gets lost is if it was auto-abandoned, which are pretty much vampires.

Some people accidentally breed when they're egglocked.

I don't see a need for this myself . Bred eggs have a "previous owner" if they want it known.

Sometimes they've been abandoned multiple times, it would just be interesting to see.

I don't see why it would be necessary for CB eggs. Too much information.

Again, I agree with that, but it would just be interesting to see.

Personally, I think this might open up the possibility of harassment (ie, someone might send me a PM saying "I see you dropped 10 eggs into the AP, you're such an irresponsible breeder!"). Even if you can deactivate it, I just don't see any benefits that would outweigh any possible risks or hassle. (Yes, I know that you can report harassment, I just don't like the idea of opening up anything that might create more issues.)

I don't see why dropping eggs in the AP means being an irresponsible breeder, but I do understand what you mean about not causing more problems.

What about people (like me) who have a different scroll name and forum name? I like the idea, but this coupled with the ability to disable or not show previous owners with hidden scrolls doesn't seem like it would do much to help people find lost eggs. It also seems like it might make it easier to do "unhelpful" things like viewbomb as well.

All true. Again, I think that this feature would just be for a matter of interest.

My take on it is that if an egg goes to the AP (whether you do so willingly or you lose an egg when egglocked or you lose a vampire in biting), the egg is no longer yours and people are under no obligation to try to return it. So I don't see any need for an addition that would let you be tracked down so an egg can be 'returned'. I wouldn't complain if it's added to the site, I just don't think it's needed.

And the line about irresponsible breeding was just what I thought of off of the top of my head. Hopefully that never happens. smile.gif

There used to be a thread to report eggs like this, though. Where you could say "Hey, I grabbed xyzzy and was wondering if it was a misdrop. Willing to return if desired." Was that thread nuked?

If an egg is auto'd and the person want it back, they'll likely have their scrollname showing on the parent's page (as well/in place of they may rename the parents), therefore making this suggestion moot. With vampires, abandoning is a chance we all take when we bite. We agree to that when we use the bite action.

I'm going to have to say no. I'm highly uncomfortable with this suggestion. There's really no need for this. Once you abandon a growing dragon - auto or not - the dragon is no longer yours. Your name does not belong on the dragon's page. As well, I feel like if this were implemented, it would really pressure people to always contact previous owners to make sure they meant to abandon the egg, which is unnecessary. ^^

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I kind of want this because I often find myself wondering where an egg came from.

You can kind of do that with bred eggs but 90% of what I take from the AP are CB.

So yeah, I just want this purely out of curiosity.

Of course with the ability to turn it off or hide your name.

My suggestion for the cave is to have a "Previous Owners" sort of thing on an egg or hatchling when you pick it up from the AP.  It would basically show who had the dragon originally and then whoever had it next, and next, and next, etc depending on how many times the dragon was abandoned.  A user's name would not show up if they have their scroll hidden.  You could also disable showing up on the "Previous Owners" page.  The page would not exist for trades or caveborns, only abandoned eggs and hatchies [ and CBs that have been abandoned ].  Also, the page would go away once the dragon grows up, and maybe you could disable seeing the link on your page in Settings too.  I thought this would be useful for people who have lost eggs.  Say I catch a 2G Silver from the AP and I was wondering if someone lost it?  This could be helpful to contact those previous owners. (:

Lol, I have no idea how many times some AP eggs are abandoned and re-abandoned, but let's say that a messy is picked up 100 - 150 times, having been picked up in numerous repeats, because people are sorting through a wall of similar eggs.

On this list, I'm guessing the names of repeats would only count once?

This would have to be a separate page accessible from the egg page, due to the length which would be achieved on many eggs.

What happens with the spate of complaints from people who want to keep their names on their scrolls but can't handle the notion of potentially having their inboxes filled every time they go to the AP, drop an egg or breed for the AP?

I know I'm really uncomfortable with the notion of someone tracking people by whichever egg they've picked up, even though individuals would get lost in the lists, and really can't see much point to it myself.

When I find a more valuable-type bred dragon in the AP, if the scroll name of the breeder is accessible through the parents, I generally try to contact them in case it autoed, but scroll names aren't always the same as user names.

The scroll could be identified through a scroll name, though - and whatever growing dragons might be on it.

If this came about, I think most of us would have to start hiding our scrolls in the event that one of the ever-so-not-charming Viewbombers we sometimes have trouble with might decide to hit the dragons of everyone ever rejecting his egg or whatever, and that would suck, but even I would have to.

The more I think about this, the creepier it sounds, actually... sorry...

Just read Socky's post, and she covers it nicely.

I'm not going to be for this. Like mentioned before some people like being unknown, some just like randomly dropping off eggs to surprise people in the AP as well. Others like their scrolls hidden and previous owner anything listed could be unhelpful with scroll stalkers.

If an egg is auto'd and the person want it back, they'll likely have their scrollname showing on the parent's page (as well/in place of they may rename the parents), therefore making this suggestion moot. With vampires, abandoning is a chance we all take when we bite. We agree to that when we use the bite action.

I'm going to have to say no. I'm highly uncomfortable with this suggestion. There's really no need for this. Once you abandon a growing dragon - auto or not - the dragon is no longer yours. Your name does not belong on the dragon's page. As well, I feel like if this were implemented, it would really pressure people to always contact previous owners to make sure they meant to abandon the egg, which is unnecessary. ^^

I am in agreement for a solid no, to this suggestion. Basically for the same reasons that Socky has put forward. Once its off your scroll - for whatever reason it is no longer yours. Auto abandons happen, we've all been there or will be there.

I would also feel that people would then assume that if someone did grab an auto abandoned, that they could demand it back.

I have to agree with this statement.

We can already find the breeder by looking at the parents of the egg. Ofcourse only if they have their scroll visible.

Also as mentionen a few times already, people might have problems with stalkers or view-bombers and the only way to stop that is by hiding you scroll.

As much as I kind of do like the idea and find it a fun fact to look at (they have it on GPXPlus, but they run a system where your eggs cannot get sick and view-bombing isn't a thing), I have to say no unsure.gif

Personally, I don't like the idea.

Sometimes I pick up the wrong egg from the cave and I don't really want it, so when it lets me send it to the AP, I do.

Also, sometimes I will pick up an egg or two from the AP just to see what kind of lineages it might have. I never intended on keeping it, unless it turns out to have some amazingly cool lineage or something; and then after I look at it I send it back to the AP. If my name would get attached to just for looking at it for 15 or so seconds and then sending it back...well I'd probably stop doing that.

Plus....I have seen this on other sites....and well, to me I think it's just copying those sites and doing it because they do it, not because there is any real need to do it here.

As for seeing who may have bred an egg you get from the AP...that's simple, look at the parents. If the owner wants it known who they are, then it will tell you who the owner of the parent was, and therefore the person who sent their bred egg to the AP.

Another no. Aside from issues already mentioned (some eggs would have dozens of owners just due to people checking out the lineage or misclicking) I'd be afraid of harassment.

I'd really rather not have the fear that the egg's breeder might come after me saying "Why didn't you like my egg enough to keep it!? You've been abandoning every egg I breed!!" or something along those lines. And, in the unlikely event of a dead egg, I don't want their wrath.

I'm doing quite some AP hunting, and in the course of doing so, I'm throwing quite number of eggs back because their lineage was not what I was looking for. I don't see any need for anyone to know that I was the one who threw it back last.

I'm also doing quite some mass-breeding of Reds and Pinks directly to the AP every now and then, sometimes also random shinies. If I wanted people to know that I bred a specific egg, I'd show my username on the parents' view page. Otherwise, I don't.

If I happen to catch a shiny on the AP, I'll just check the parents for a scroll name. If there is none, I just assume they AP-bred it on purpose, and keep the egg.

If someone abandoned a caveborn egg, they did it on purpose - there is no auto-abandoning for caveborn eggs. Thus, they didn't want it anymore. Why hassle them about something they dropped?

I say No to this.

The reason my scroll name doesn't show on my dragon pages is simply that I don't want it to. This would go directly against a choice I have made for my scroll. Why should the AP be different ?

You don't all get to see who owns the things ON my scroll; no way do I want my name on things I have kicked off it.

I'm also against this, for reasons already stated, and: Some people like to anonymously gift to the AP. They don't want to be contacted about their next breedings.

I can see why you guys don't like the suggestion, but to all of the people talking about "Anonymously Breeding for the AP", maybe there could be a feature to turn yourself off for certain dragons' offspring or certain eggs? Also, you would be able to turn the feature OFF completely for yourself to where you will not show on the Previous Owner list.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys c:

I can see why you guys don't like the suggestion, but to all of the people talking about "Anonymously Breeding for the AP", maybe there could be a feature to turn yourself off for certain dragons' offspring or certain eggs? Also, you would be able to turn the feature OFF completely for yourself to where you will not show on the Previous Owner list.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys c:

But - what is the POINT to this ? Why is it any kind of good idea ?

But - what is the POINT to this ? Why is it any kind of good idea ?

I think, as I said before, it may be kind of useful for valuable auto AP eggs that someone wants to return or be returned. Also, it would be kind of interesting to see, IMO.

(:

Although it has its disadvantages, I like this idea and support it although it should be optional to display the abandoner, similar to showing scrolls on dragon pages. Possibly add a checkbox on the abandoning confirmation page to show you abandoned it?

I think a big draw of this game is that you as a player can be as public or anonymous as you choose to be. Changing that changes the way the game is played.

And I really don't think it has as much utility for lost eggs as you might think at first. Sure, I've found a few obviously auto'd eggs in the AP. In all but one case with a little bit of detective work I was able to find the original owner and return the egg. But even if it were made easier, 99% of the DC userbase wouldn't be interested in doing it. Once the egg leaves your scroll it's gone. If you don't want an egg to auto, be more careful when breeding.

Personally I'd be more concerned about accusations of "hacking" if you happen to be good at catching AP rares. I catch plenty of them on a regular basis and don't really need that kind of harassment. I throw many of them back but I also keep many to gift away. The last thing I want is to be dealing with someone mad at me for "sniping" all of "their" shiny eggs. No thanks.