Dekka

"Previous Owners" on Eggs/Hatchies in the AP

Honestly I have to say that I wouldn't really care to see this added. I frequently drop prize eggs in the AP and a few other nice lineages that I breed frequently and I would hate to have people thinking I dropped them accidentally and trying to send them back. I also would hate to be viewbombed if I pick up and reject a messy egg. Some people are horribly spiteful if others don't see the "beauty" in whatever they breed. rolleyes.gif

I think, as I said before, it may be kind of useful for valuable auto AP eggs that someone wants to return or be returned. Also, it would be kind of interesting to see, IMO.

(:

See, you can already display your scrollname on the parents' page just fine, and you can also rename your parents to say that you want the egg back.

For most AP eggs though, the only thing you would see is who was the last person who was *not* interested in this egg and/or its lineage. What's interesting about knowing this?

Can't support. This could open the floodgates for harassment, demanding eggs be returned and other such nonsense.

Quoted for truth. While it might be interesting sometimes (who on earth drops cb coppers to AP?) most of the time it would be used for less savoury deeds than just curiosity.

No support at all.

I really don't want another feature that I would need to "defend" myself against if I wanted to maintain any semblance of privacy. I like keeping my scroll name visible and have only had a problem once that forced me to hide it for a time. I feel like if this were a thing I would have to hide it all the time or do whatever else could be done to disable this feature.

What is the overwhelming need for this that makes it worth all the hassle to people who don't like it? Curiosity is not an overwhelming need IMO. And as others have pointed out, there are other, better ways of allowing people to find you if an egg auto-abandons. With this feature I think it would raise the expectation that people should contact you if they find your egg.

Edited by purplehaze

Nope. Too many people are all up in my bidness now. Don't need any more there, don't want any more there. Big fat NO vote here.

I can see why you guys don't like the suggestion, but to all of the people talking about "Anonymously Breeding for the AP", maybe there could be a feature to turn yourself off for certain dragons' offspring or certain eggs?  Also, you would be able to turn the feature OFF completely for yourself to where you will not show on the Previous Owner list.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys c:

Neh.... There really just isn't much point to it.... I mean, Sock already stated that if an egg is auto abandoned for whatever reason, you could rename the parents, but really there is nothing this could create a benefit for. Users would have to change yet another bit of settings to either way have their eggs and such anonymous form users who pick them up, and then really if your eggs gets abandoned automatically, its abandoned through biting, or you abandon it by mistake, then tough luck. Plus not ever owner who missbreeds will have a forum account so contacting them would be tough. How do you return an egg to someone who doesn't have a forum account and you cant message?

I've had 2nd Gen tinsel babies I was hoping to gift to those on my list get auto abandoned because I forgot I had a full scroll of eggs. My mistake, I owned up to it and just let it go. I mean yeah having it returned would have been nice but even if it could be returned, I had a full scroll. No point. If you make that mistake then its on you, you should have checked and you should be more careful next time. I've also accidentally abandoned gifts or Departure thread pick ups, it was an honest mistake but really there was nothing I could do.

Really there is no reason to know who previously owned the egg. This is just an extra feature there for the heck of it and really I don't like it. I know that 'there is no need for it' is not an entirely valid reason to say no, but this is one of those things that feels like it would be there for the sake of being there, and nothing more.

Edited by AnanoKimi

My suggestion for the cave is to have a "Previous Owners" sort of thing on an egg or hatchling when you pick it up from the AP.  It would basically show who had the dragon originally and then whoever had it next, and next, and next, etc depending on how many times the dragon was abandoned.

I'm not a programmer but it looks like a great amount of extra information to store on server (I guess that now only the last owner's id is stored, so that the person cannot abandon the egg and claim it back right away - it's still impossible, right?). Apart from that I agree with the most "against" opinions. I suppose it would lead to harassment.

Edited by irercha

I don't really see any reason for this feature. For CBs - they don't get auto-abandoned, and it doesn't really matter if something's been abandoned by player X or Y or Z for whatever reason. And with bred eggs - they were usually on the scroll the parents are on now. If the owner displays their scroll name, you should be able to find out who bred the egg.

That being said, if this feature does get implemented for whatever reason, I'd like to see it linked to the "show scroll name on view page" feature. This way, you don't have to toggle anything extra and can still choose to stay anonymous.

no support, this feature is redundant.

you can accidentally AP a CB egg, the person APing it did so consciously.

if a person bred and the egg auto-ap'd and they wanted it back, look at the parents name you'll find their info there

if the person bred specifically for the AP and wants to be known, again look at the parents info.

not to mention, if it shows everyone whose pick up and re abandoned an egg, the length of names on an undesirable egg could be rather long and might actually kick off the owner (our action page only holds X amount of actions before rolling them off)

curiosity is all well and good, but sometimes curiosity kills the cat. no support from me.

I can see why you guys don't like the suggestion, but to all of the people talking about "Anonymously Breeding for the AP", maybe there could be a feature to turn yourself off for certain dragons' offspring or certain eggs? Also, you would be able to turn the feature OFF completely for yourself to where you will not show on the Previous Owner list.

Thanks for all the feedback, guys c:

I breed to the AP and while I keep my scroll name visible and am very active on the forums, people don't always recognize that eggs they pick up are from me. I don't really mind when this happens because I can breed and do whatever and still be somewhat anonymous. But, if this were implemented, I don't want to have to turn things on and off just to breed nice things for people.

It just seems like you're adding an awful lot of options/steps just to try and get this to be in more positive favor. Again, you won't be helping anyone recover lost eggs if there's an option to turn this completely off.

I'm not a programmer but it looks like a great amount of extra information to store on server (I guess that now only the last owner's id is stored, so that the person cannot abandon the egg and claim it back right away - it's still impossible, right?). Apart from that I agree with the most "against" opinions. I suppose it would lead to harassment.

I think the amount of data would be neglegible (and i am a programmer.). Still, don't assume anything about technical issues in suggestions, please. The only one who can tell for sure (tj) is usually not inclined to share site internals.

I hate to say it.... But if you auto an egg, it is not yours anymore and you have no right to get it back, and no one has any obligation to return it. I find that even renaming the parents is... a bit much, and I think it should be severely discouraged.

I've seen people use the parents' names to deliver threats about retribution if an auto-ed egg wasn't returned. It was quite a nice egg, and yep they followed through with it. In that case, I had to laugh at them because they killed an irreplaceable CB Holiday because a (very) replaceable egg they bred wasn't returned.

But the point is the same: Anything that encourages people to try to have an egg returned can lead to the expectation that it should be returned, and harassment and malicious behavior (either to destroy the catcher's eggs or the breeder killing their own dragons) which is aimed at destroying what another person found fair and square in the trash heap.

So no support. Oh, it might be a curiosity factor, seeing that an egg was abandoned x many times by y many people, but.... while a simple counter on the dragon's page would be ok, I think anything that shows said names is a bad thing.

Cheers!

C4.

What is a bit nuts about this is that as soon as an egg has been picked up just once, the "previous owner" means exactly nothing except "xthedragon didn't like this egg". And a whole LIST of previous owners - well, honestly, who's going to read that ?

Not to mention the scroll name very often won't match the forum name, so even if you did want to try and return something there's a good chance you'd have no way to do that. And I for one would not want to get loads of PMs saying I found this lovely egg of yours - did you MEAN to drop it ? Well, 90% of the time - YES ! And the one time I didn't that REALLY mattered, as someone has already said, I just renamed the parents - and got it back.

Edited by fuzzbucket

The reason my scroll name doesn't show on my dragon pages is simply that I don't want it to. This would go directly against a choice I have made for my scroll. Why should the AP be different ?

You don't all get to see who owns the things ON my scroll; no way do I want my name on things I have kicked off it.

Ditto.

I hide my username from dragon pages for a good reason (I used to get a ton of emails). I feel like this would negate my ability to not get contact about stuff all the time.

I'm indifferent about this suggestion.

I would oppose it, but if the Previous Owner(s) option is toggled along with the Owner settings (i.e. if you choose 'hide scroll name on dragons', that also counts for the Previous Owner(s) line), then I have nothing against it at all.

gusearth1 brings up a great point for what sort of projects it could be used for, but I'm not sure how niche that is. Judging by the responses to this thread at large, unfortunately very niche.

Hence indifferent. smile.gif

(I think it's really neat that it was suggested, though. I don't think I've seen this kind of suggestion crop up before and it's quite unique; and it's interesting to discuss completely new ideas like this.)

I definitely agree with all the points brought up against this idea. Honestly when it comes down to it, this just isn't needed. It's already been mentioned that people can find out previous owner by looking at the parents, and accidentally abandoning an egg can sometimes be helped by renaming the parents. That's really all that can be done, and all that *should* be done. An AP-ed egg is *not* your egg and you have no right to have your name on it.

Besides, all those caveblockers that people throw back 100 times... That list would get pretty long!

You don't all get to see who owns the things ON my scroll; no way do I want my name on things I have kicked off it.

^^^

Why should my username be attached to a random egg that passed through my grubby mitts for half a minute?

If it's not on my scroll or related to something on my scroll, my username shouldn't be attached to it.

Edited by schmupti

I agree with what you guys are saying about the idea, both the good and the bad. Now that I look back there's a lot of issues with this problem ;u; If a mod wants to close this that would be fine <3 (:

I don't know about showing a list of previous owners, but for curiosity's sake, a count might be interesting. That's something that could just be part of the dragon's info in all stages. So you pick up an egg from the AP and it has a line on the info page that says something like "5 other people have owned this egg" or whatever. That much would be interesting to me smile.gif

^^^

Why should my username be attached to a random egg that passed through my grubby mitts for half a minute?

If it's not on my scroll or related to something on my scroll, my username shouldn't be attached to it.

I agree with this.

I don't mind my username being on my own dragons... and by extension available to the people that happen to own relatives of them ( whether offspring or ancestors). I don't MIND people being able to see my scroll, so as a rule I tend to keep mine pretty public and I STILL do not care for the idea of having my name tagged to a dragon that is NOT mine. IF it happens to be somethign I bred, then my name will be on the parents. I might ALSO add that there are people that , for whatever reason don't want their scrolls visible even from their OWN dragons.

THOSE people probably would really hate this idea unless i were allowed to hide your scroll name from it and THEN what good would it even be.

I do get that it might be nice to be able to retrieve the occasional auto'd eggie, BUT... I feeel bad even asking for that as USUALLY the things I stupidly auto'd and would be inclined to want back are the things that would probably make someone ELSE's day when they catch them. I say, why ruin someone else's good fortune because I was stupid and forgot to check if I had space bfore I bred my dragons so that the egg got dumped.

SO I usually chalk it up to someone else's lucky day when something like that happens.

Edited by Silverswift

If only there was an area on each scroll that could display the user's forum name...

I mean this would be optional. But would add more sense to this suggestion.

I personally have these names different because I had a general nickname change and DC doesn't allow scroll nick change yet...

BTW if this suggestion would be mostly about science: how many times a given lineage/breed of egg was abandoned, then a simple abandon count(number saying how many times a given egg was abandoned) would do:)

Edited by VixenDra

If only there was an area on each scroll that could display the user's forum name...

I mean this would be optional. But would add more sense to this suggestion.

I personally have these names different because I had a general nickname change and DC doesn't allow scroll nick change yet...

BTW if this suggestion would be mostly about science: how many times a given lineage/breed of egg was abandoned, then a simple abandon count(number saying how many times a given egg was abandoned) would do:)

If you want that - just name a frozen hatchie something like "Find me on forum as Matilda" or something.