Vorgin

Beyond the Soul

"The moon and star celebration every two hundred years. Hmm... eclipses, luner and soler ones. The luner eclipses we make offerings to the moon goddess for fertility and renewal. Soler eclipses we dance in the shadow the moon makes, for it shows night and day are both powerful, but a day without night and a night without day must happen every so often to remind us of balance and how important it is. Coming of age, when a elf reaches two hundred years, they're name is written on a branch of the tree of time, and then are given a bow, staff or sword with a wood handle, all made out of the wood of the ancient tree carved with their animal, or magical capability.

We always celebrate birth. Every elf once was a mother helps the new one take care of the child. Normally it's the younger mothers, like my mom. There is a huge party and every male elf once a father lay their hands and bless the new father, and the same for the new mother. The four elders in turn hold and bless the child, then he or she is named.

Weddings depends on the elf. Sometimes they are big, with lots of singing and games. Other, like my parents, it was just their families and the elders blessing them. It has a breaking of the weapons in any wedding. The broken weapons stands for peace between the families. It normally is what the wife and husband skill set is. Mine would be a bow, yours would be a sword.

Death is something that the entire community dose together. We all put on out best outfits, and the head guard family shoot flaming arrows into the boat where the body is, or if none, something close to the person a personal object that we believe has their spirit, and we send them down the river that flows backwards up to the stars. ..

What about your kind. Anything special for humans?"

Edited by AroaraAngelwolf

Jacus thought for a moment, "We celebrate the beginning of each season, usually with a feast of the best crops of the last season. The four seasons are our balance, as they still tie to the sun and moon. We will have parties during shooting star showers, and eclipses are so rare to us that most humans ignore them or look at them in awe, but not celebration.

Births are relatively common so the family famil friends of the child will celebrate but not many others. Coming of age is at 12 when a guild or craft is taken, and 16 when apprenticeship status is made. Around 18 to 20, the apprentice will take up the craft or job and either work with the Master or start their shop.

Weddings are also common and are only for friends and family. A few blessings here and there and they live together.

As you may finally know, Death is common. We all die of age between 80 and 100, or die from other causes like illness or another cause. Either way it is secluded to family and friends, and then we burn them on a pyre, and bury the ashes. Some towns will bury them but fear of necromancy has set laws to burn the bodies.

Arwena was silent for a while. "It seems like there are similarities between the races, and differences too. Shooting stars we like to watch, but are so common for us.. and weddings happen every so often, but birth and death rare things that need a huge celebration...." She laughed. "You should see it when there are twins! My dad had a twin grandma told me that his dad fainted and several maidens who where helping with the birth where freaking out and scrambling to get more water and cloths to clean the other child. I think my dad's twin is in unity, I don't know. He lost contact with him..."

"...I can't help but be curious of what the Dark Elves kept from your tradition and what they changed... I know you are on bad terms but wouldn't it be a little interesting?"

".......I suppose.... ..." She said quietly. "Lovely chat but can we stop for a drink and lunch? I'm starving!" Arwena laughed. "You're always hungry, but we did walk far and I'm hungry too, so let's stop. Have you found out a way around the ravine? I don't want to get hit by those filthy arrows again .... I almost got feverish if it wasn't for those herbs you had."

Jacus nodded and pulled out the map when they stopped. He tranced his finger where they were. "Once we leave Dark Elf territory, we will pass the entrance to the canyon and go to the other side. There are some trails in the mountains we can take. It's not 100% safe but you wont get shot there. We would be doubly lucky if we could join a merchant caravan or traveling group."

"It would be better if we hide anything shinny then, we might attract a Dragon. It's a good thing I know a bit of draconic in case the Dragon refuses to speak in common. " She thought out loud as she took a bite of dry fish feeding a bit of bread to Drago. "Speaking of languages, you wanted me to teach you a bit of elvish.... and you archery keeping our deal. Do you want to start now?"

Jacus looked at her with a smile, "Certainly. I think that would be a good thing."

Arwena smiled and started with words that where "hello" or the polite greeting. Then how to say "I don't know elvish" in elvish, and explained that it really meant he doesn't know much of it. He walked him through the words, sometimes whacking the back of his head when he unknowingly said something insulting and warned him not to say it like that again. Drago chuckled at her efforts, "We can practice while it is your watch. But now Kayden and I want to walk a little more while we still can." the wolf said as he stood up and stretched.

Jacus rubbed his head, "This is certainly harder than other things I've learned..." He looked at Drago, "You can set the pace. You two are carrying the most weight after all."

Drago waited until both got on their mounts before heading a steady pace where Kayden had to trot. They passed the town and was close to the wood by the time the sun was sliding behind a peak.

"Alright, well this is making for excellent timing. We will rest for the night, and then go into the Dark Elves Realm in broad daylight."

Arwena nodded, although she didn't realize she was shaking until she got down from Drago and a stumbled a little bit. She sat down and ate. She looked sick, she probably wasn't going to get any sleep tonight this close to the forest.

"Arwena... are you okay... you look pale... for an elf..." He quickly got a fire going. "Here, use your mat for a blanket."

Arwena pulled it around her. "The dark woods give any elf nightmares.... the last one I had my home was destroyed in it.... I fear what may happen in my dreams this time. " tears started rolling down her cheeks. "It was so awful! It was the day you pulled the arrows out and found me sitting up..... I couldn't possibly sleep here again!"

"...Drago, take Arwena back to the town nearby. When you guys wake, meet back here. Kayden and I will cover each other."

Arwena didn't seem like herself, she was more frantic and eyes wide with panic like a doe who was caught in a net. Her breaths rapid paints. She struggled and fought Drago as he picked her up by her tunic and looked at Jacus. "The dark elves have magic, it makes their woodland kin woozy and sick, and frightened like a rabbit caught by a wolf. So they know to not enter the wood at night when they are awake and strongest. We will be back when the sun rises tomorrow, take care. " He turned leaving her things and his saddle behind with a frantic Arwena who was being carried like a wolf pup who got in trouble.

Kayden was a good watch horse and woke him up when it was Jacus's turn.

Arwena slept in the stable in town next to Drago, her soul half having consoled her and claimed her down. The next morning she was riding to where they left Jacus, as soon as she saw him she jumped off and ran over to him tackling him in a hug. "I'm so sorry that I acted like that, I should have stayed to help you keep watch, I don't want you hurt ..... " She held him tight, still shaken by being so close, but she didn't look sick. The magic seemed to have lessened when the sun came up.

"It's okay Arwena! Kayden and I had it under control... are you ready? If you dont feel comfortable about anything, tell me and we can leave. Okay?"

"Let me get Drago's things on him and we'll get done with this. "She saddled and packed her things swiftly and was on Drago before she could change her mind about going. "Televere is a Dragon and this must tell the truth, if she said if they harm either one of us that Unity would retaliate, then I will trust her word.... plus... if you keep close to me...." She looked at him grabbing his hand and holding it tightly.

"It's okay Arwena... besides, they know people avoid their turf, they would be curious of why a human and a Wood Elf are traveling together straight for their capital." He smiled confidently.

She nodded and started towards the thick trees. As they got deeper, the less light penetrated the foliage and soon it was like a faux night, only Drago and Arwena could see in the low light, so she led Kayden by talking a bit of the lead from Jacus and towards a dim purplish light ahead.