Aniusia483

Hermaphrodites

We probably all have impossible scroll goals.

Le sigh.

But anyway.

The main problem with this suggestion is that it isn't really a suggestion, but an overly convoluted mechanism that would produce the OP's personal unicorn. It really has nothing to do with hermaphroditic dragons, and everything to do with "I want to breed X to Y and I can't."

I mean, the solution to the OP's personal view of non-monogamous reproduction as 'unnatural' is a revision to breed-wide hermaphroditism in a higher species? That's pure agenda. That agendas so hard it pulled an agenda and has been put on bed rest.

Lots of folks would like something similar, and it pops up all the time with folks suggesting BSAs that would let them swap a sprite because they think the female Farglesnooch's sprite works better with the female Clabberbottom's sprite in a lineage, and so on. If the OP's still reading, I'd suggest perusing those threads and looking for a more workable solution there.

It's a good idea, but please change the term to intersex. Hermaphrodite is an incredibly offensive term.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermaphrodite

In biology, a hermaphrodite is an organism that has reproductive organs normally associated with both male and female sexes. [...] The word intersex has come into preferred usage for humans, since the word hermaphrodite is considered to be misleading and stigmatizing,[4][5] as well as "scientifically specious and clinically problematic".

Emphasis mine. Dragons are not humans.

It's a good idea, but please change the term to intersex. Hermaphrodite is an incredibly offensive term.

Doesn't the intersex term apply only to humans, not other organisms?

Edit: lol, totally ninja.gif 'd

Re-edit: just read back to Sir Barton's rooster comment, almost burst a gut on that one...

Edited by Syphoneira

I don't mind hermaphroditic species, but I'm not entirely sure that holiday dragons would be the place for it. I concepted the Arsanii species to be like a beehive where the majority of workers are females. In this case, the only real difference is that the 'drones' just happen to be other dragon breeds. I also call the Arsanii Hive Dragons sometimes so I'd rather like to keep them as they are. It better fits with their concept.

I don't think the existence of real hermaphroditic animals is particularly relevant here. This isn't a question of whether hermaphroditic breeds can exist on DC in general (which I think was already answered anyway--Erseliks were well received as a concept), it's whether this will happen:

How about Christmas and Valentine holidays having this special trait: being all(exept for Hollies) hermaphrodites?

I don't think retroactively converting a wide variety of very different species into hermaphrodites is a very good idea. Firstly it's pretty illogical (why would all these species suddenly gain this ability, after all these years, despite all their differences?), and secondly, as has been mentioned by others, it seems like a suggestion that would only benefit a very small group of players rather than a wider audience.

I think having Holidays come in both male and female forms after their initial release (like with Hollies) makes more sense, although I'm still pretty neutral on the matter.

Oh, I'm so sorry!

I really didn't know. Where I live, nobody talks about these things.

I didn't mean any offense, truly I didn't. sad.gif

Oh, I'm so sorry! 

I really didn't know.  Where I live, nobody talks about these things.

I didn't mean any offense, truly I didn't. sad.gif

That applies to people, not animals, actually.

Hermaphrodite is still the correct term for non-human organisms.

Edit: Intersex dragons really doesn't sound like a suitable name for use on a family site.

Edited by Syphoneira

As someone with an ark-type scroll goal (two adults per breed, made into a breeding pair), I have never minded the single-gender aspect of Holiday dragons. With Christmas dragons in particular, I always thought of it as the breed being.... well, Christmas Dragons, and the generations themselves being different colorations or sub-species of the Christmas breed. As such, I pair off my Christmas Dragons with one another (Yulebuck x Snow Angel, Winter Magi x Ribbon Dancer, etc). This is kinda solidified by each version not having a breed specific description, but instead having a Christmas Dragon breed descrip, I thought. Someone brought up calicos earlier, and yeah I've thought of it like that; Christmas Dragons are cats, each breed is it's own genetic coloration that so happens to be tied to chromosomes, I guess. xd.png If that doesn't work for you, though.... uh, magiks? :B

In fact, changing the way those pre-existing breeds genders work now would cause me a lot of trouble with my goal in mind, now that I think of it. xd.png What would be great for you might not always be so convenient for others, I guess.

I think holidays are fine the way they are, really. But then I was fine when pinks and purples were mono gendered as well, so maybe I'm just used to it! Adds a bit of variety to the game, really.

EDIT: Woooo, typos. XP

Edited by ~Vinr~

There's also a large difference between "intersex" and "hermaphrodite"; humans cannot be hermaphrodites.

Also, ZW organisms produce only males via parthenogenesis, not females; it's why Komodo dragons have more males than females. Only XY organisms produce females via parthenogenesis, and heat-determined organisms could theoretically produce either (although I don't know if any heat-determination species are capable of reproducing that way).

The discussion is basically irrelevant to this suggestion, though.