cookiejar42

ANSWERED:Scroll "Likes"

Since I have had the social media buttons disabled for some time, I'm unsure as to their position on the scroll. But I thought those were at the bottom to begin with.

I think it would make sense to put it at the bottom of the scroll, yeah.

Eek. Just checked (I have never enabled them before) They are the top, right under the box for showing your scroll to others.

OH that's ugly. blink.gif Quick, I have to turn them off again....

Eek. Just checked (I have never enabled them before) They are the top, right under the box for showing your scroll to others.

OH that's ugly. blink.gif Quick, I have to turn them off again....

Oh, boy. I did have them turned on and didn't even notice them until now. Maybe it's a quirk specific to literally only me, but I don't find the tops of scrolls cluttered at all. I mean, I've only got a trophy and an egg basket, but seeing other peoples' scrolls with every badge there is, I still don't find them too cluttered. If there was to be a "like" button, I guess it would make more sense to have it at the bottom. Or maybe floating along on the side, where there's just empty space?

Or, again--maybe just liking an individual dragon for its description and/or name, which I rather like the idea of.

I have every badge there is (I think) and I don't find our scrolls cluttered. *shrug* As long as I can turn it OFF, I really don't care. I just think it's more trouble than it's worth. What happens if a particular dragon gets really popular, then suddenly everyone is stalking that scroll. The owner's eggs/hatchlings might get sick from overviewing.. they might get PMed by stalkers wanting bred eggs.. heck, they might get so annoyed from the attention that they quit playing from frustration. Your mileage may vary, but as sure as golds are shiny, 'someone' will find a way to abuse it.

What happens if a particular dragon gets really popular, then suddenly everyone is stalking that scroll. The owner's eggs/hatchlings might get sick from overviewing.. they might get PMed by stalkers wanting bred eggs.. heck, they might get so annoyed from the attention that they quit playing from frustration.

You mean like, just for example ... raffle prize winners? Well I doubt things would get that extreme, in any case. I don't think even my nicest CB Whiptail is going to become so popular that everyone stalks me for his babies... And there's always the option to hide your scroll.

I don't really think scrolls are cluttered either, and adding a small button somewhere wouldn't make too much difference.

Edited by TheGrox

I have every badge there is (I think) and I don't find our scrolls cluttered. *shrug* As long as I can turn it OFF, I really don't care. I just think it's more trouble than it's worth. What happens if a particular dragon gets really popular, then suddenly everyone is stalking that scroll. The owner's eggs/hatchlings might get sick from overviewing.. they might get PMed by stalkers wanting bred eggs.. heck, they might get so annoyed from the attention that they quit playing from frustration. Your mileage may vary, but as sure as golds are shiny, 'someone' will find a way to abuse it.

It's already been suggested that the counter be invisible to everyone but yourself, and I do think it should be that way. Then the dragon should be no more or less "popular" than before, when people browse scrolls randomly to view dragons. If your scroll name is displayed, and people like it enough to PM, it's not going to stop anyone from contacting the owner with or without a like button.

I'm ambivalent on this idea. I don't really mind either way whether it's implemented or not.

So, another popularity contest. yay. I vote no. I did finally break down and open a facebook account, but I don't see the appeal even so. and I have no desire to participate if it happens.

but, I suppose as long as there aren't any benefits to having large amounts of likes, or the ability to "dislike" things it would not be something I felt the need to protest.

You mean like, just for example ... raffle prize winners? Well I doubt things would get that extreme, in any case. I don't think even my nicest CB Whiptail is going to become so popular that everyone stalks me for his babies... And there's always the option to hide your scroll.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Even if the "likes" were public (and it doesn't seem like a good idea for them to be) it's not as though it would be something we hadn't seen before. And I don't think it would be a good idea to have a "top scrolls" or "top dragons" page or anything like that, either--then it would become a popularity contest.

(not that anyone has actually suggested a top scrolls or dragons page, it just seemed implied by the idea of damage coming to the most-liked dragons that there would be some sort of hub from which to view popular dragons. Which I don't think is a good idea at all)

but, I suppose as long as there aren't any benefits to having large amounts of likes, or the ability to "dislike" things it would not be something I felt the need to protest.

No, I definitely would not like the idea of disliking things either. As I said, I just thought it would be nice to give a friendly sort of greeting to people who you either can't locate their forum account or maybe who don't have one.

Edited by cookiejar42

I'm against this

I hate anything to do with social media (anyone else notice that shows telling kids not to talk to strangers disappear after social media started running amok)

and cookiejar42 you might get a bit further if you called it something like a cookie/candy jar

they like your scroll/dragon and give you a candy/cookie, and only you can see your jar

As long as it's completely optional (and off by default, like the social media buttons), only viewable by the user and there isn't a "dislike" button, I wouldn't mind it I guess.

I think it's completely pointless and a waste of time when that time could be used to add plenty of other things that would make the game better though.

I'm against this

I hate anything to do with social media (anyone else notice that shows telling kids not to talk to strangers disappear after social media started running amok)

and cookiejar42 you might get a bit further if you called it something like a cookie/candy jar

they like your scroll/dragon and give you a candy/cookie, and only you can see your jar

This is an interesting approach to consider.

While I really dislike the whole social media circus, (gladiators, lions, anyone?) privately handing out cookies might almost work. wink.gif

I frankly see no reason for this. I'm sure TJ can do more useful things than creating a "like" button for scrolls. That said, it has been mentioned before that "like" button was to simplify comunication in social media, so as not to say "hey, this is cool" a thousand times.

To be honest, while scrolls have certain differences, in the end they are practically the same, and DC has always been a rather solitary game. I know some people display their scrolls, but unlike social media where there is a direct interaction, most of our social interaction is through the forum, not through scrolls.

This isn't something I am particularly interested in for my scroll. I know I have a forum account so it's different, but a personal PM if someone really enjoys my names or if I had a creative sorting method (I don't!) would mean a lot more to me, anyway. A "like" wouldn't mean much to me - I'd be apt to believe people were just liking because I'm a mod, so I sometimes get more scroll attention than others. o3o

The secret cookies are a fairly cute idea, though. Maybe "dragon treats" instead, though if it was decided this is something users would like. x3

Edited by SockPuppet Strangler

I really like the idea of dragon treats or something. I suppose it also makes more sense for purely RP purposes as well. It's a better idea than what I had at least xP

Edited by cookiejar42

This isn't something I am particularly interested in for my scroll. I know I have a forum account so it's different, but a personal PM if someone really enjoys my names or if I had a creative sorting method (I don't!) would mean a lot more to me, anyway. A "like" wouldn't mean much to me - I'd be apt to believe people were just liking because I'm a mod, so I sometimes get more scroll attention than others. o3o

The secret cookies are a fairly cute idea, though. Maybe "dragon treats" instead, though if it was decided this is something users would like. x3

This (the first paragraph). If I find a scroll or names I like, I'm inclined to send PMs telling the person that. I don't necessarily want that info on my scroll (unless my 'Guest Book' paper dragon (described) were to actually have a guest book for people to sign but that's really not a priority for me.)

omg dragon treats! XD

I would love something a bit more like that. c: Still dunno if I would use it, though...

This is something that cannot be implemented for policy reasons.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, if you use social media you can share/like things that way, but on-site cannot happen.